I remember when Yaz signed for $100,000 per year

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: I remember when Yaz signed for $100,000 per year

If it were 1968 then Yaz would command $25 mil. per year in today's dollars.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The forum doesn't respond to threads like this and that is why the forum is in it's twilight days / moments. Harness will try to rescue it but he was a big part of the problem. If this forum dies, you can be assured that Pinstripezac will be summoned to find a replacement forum that is saturated with Yankee fans, Tankee trolls, and closet Yankee fans. That Pinstripe guy always comes through in the clutch. The trick is to draw in unsuspecting, green newbies, who will fall for the bait. Make it look like a Red Sox forum but have it loaded with anti-Sox fans - the perfect formula for the sick people.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: I remember when Yaz signed for $100,000 per year:
    [QUOTE]The forum doesn't respond to threads like this and that is why the forum is in it's twilight days / moments. Harness will try to rescue it but he was a big part of the problem. If this forum dies, you can be assured that Pinstripezac will be summoned to find a replacement forum that is saturated with Yankee fans, Tankee trolls, and closet Yankee fans. That Pinstripe guy always comes through in the clutch. The trick is to draw in unsuspecting, green newbies, who will fall for the bait. Make it look like a Red Sox forum but have it loaded with anti-Sox fans - the perfect formula for the sick people.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Ho-Hum

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to I remember when Yaz signed for $100,000 per year:
    [QUOTE]I was a kid and a hundred thousand dollars was a staggering sum to me. Compared to Carl Crawford or J D Drew, what do you think Yastrzemski would be paid today?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Yes! And after 1967, he supplemented his income with Big Yaz bread:

(Who knew white bread was so healthy?)

And Yaz Ford on the Lynnway.

And who can remember what else?

$100,000 used to be a lot of money.

But I digress.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

This is proof that the BDC Forom , located in Boston, MA, dedicated to the Red Sox, is inundated by closet Yankee Fans.  Write down their monikers, study their post history, and then decide whether you should ignore them or continue to debate them.  I am here to inform you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I was a kid and a hundred thousand dollars was a staggering sum to me. Compared to Carl Crawford or J D Drew, what do you think Yastrzemski would be paid today?

Yaz would not make much at all if he played today.  But then the guy is like 72 years old.

(And I will use that joke AGAIN if people insist on these cross generational salary scale posts.   How many of these "Hugh Duffy hit .441 in 1894 and he was paid $44.75 and a handful of spider's eggs.  How much would he get today?" posts do we really need to get the oversimplified point?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

I was stunned when Bobby Murcer inked for 100 G in , like, 1971......only Joe D. and the Mick had done that.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

baseball salaries are so screwed that I would bet had they stayed frozen at $100k a year (plus per diem, perks, etc) that there would still be a line out the door with players who just couldn't wait to suit up.  Let's face it, $100k is still a great salary to play ball.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to I remember when Yaz signed for $100,000 per year : Yes! And after 1967, he supplemented his income with Big Yaz bread:   (Who knew white bread was so healthy?) And Yaz Ford on the Lynnway. And who can remember what else? $100,000 used to be a lot of money. But I digress.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Yaz did a commercial with his wife, I believe it was for Mustard.

He also did one for Miller beer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]The forum doesn't respond to threads like this and that is why the forum is in it's twilight days / moments. Harness will try to rescue it but he was a big part of the problem. If this forum dies, you can be assured that Pinstripezac will be summoned to find a replacement forum that is saturated with Yankee fans, Tankee trolls, and closet Yankee fans. That Pinstripe guy always comes through in the clutch. The trick is to draw in unsuspecting, green newbies, who will fall for the bait. Make it look like a Red Sox forum but have it loaded with anti-Sox fans - the perfect formula for the sick people.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Does this mean you are leaving this forum? After all it's on its last legs...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Where can i get some of that Special Fitness Whitebread??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Amazingly, In February 1971, Carl Yastrzemski signed a three-year contract that was reported to pay him $500,000 over the three seasons.  At that time his contract was the largest in baseball history. That yearly average of $166,666 would be a little under 1mm in 2011 dollars.....with a current ML minimum of about 400K and the average salary around 3.5mm. The fact that Salaries in sports(and entertainment in general) have gotten so out of wack is mind boggling....If  you shut down ML Baseball tomorrow and reorganized, there isnt a player in the Majors who wouldnt come back in a new league and play gladly for that ML minimum Salary and everyone of them could live a more than comfortable life. I would argue that this has had a trickle down affect throughout socieity....the large majority of CEO's in business were not making multi millions a year until sports stars did...the Salaries in sports and entertainment have devalued what a 6 figure Salary

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I remember when you could watch a game and it didn't take a half an hour to play a half inning where no runs are scored.

I remember when relief pitchers came in from the bullpen riding in a little golfcart with a big baseball cap for a roof.

I remember when A.L. pitchers used to bat and they wore those warmup jackets to run the bases ( even on 95 degree days!).

I remember when pitchers weren't pulled from games until they started to falter.

I remember when players didn't point to the sky after a homerun.

I remember the game when it was a sport.

Now it is a soap opera complete with antics by the announcers, tomfoolery by relief pitchers ( playing music by tapping the metal roof of the bullpen), and umpires who enjoy being celebrities.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Amazingly, In February 1971, Carl Yastrzemski signed a three-year contract that was reported to pay him $500,000 over the three seasons.  At that time his contract was the largest in baseball history. That yearly average of $166,666 would be a little under 1mm in 2011 dollars.....with a current ML minimum of about 400K and the average salary around 3.5mm. The fact that Salaries in sports(and entertainment in general) have gotten so out of wack is mind boggling....If  you shut down ML Baseball tomorrow and reorganized, there isnt a player in the Majors who wouldnt come back in a new league and play gladly for that ML minimum Salary and everyone of them could live a more than comfortable life. I would argue that this has had a trickle down affect throughout socieity....the large majority of CEO's in business were not making multi millions a year until sports stars did...the Salaries in sports and entertainment have devalued what a 6 figure Salary
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]
       And did this hall of famer live up to his contract as highest paid player. You be the judge in '71 he hit 254 15 HR 70 RBI...'72 he hit 264 12 HR 68 RBI....'73 296 19HR 95 RBI. IMO Yaz built on one great year and other than '67 he had a good not great career. Can you imagine the flack A-Gon will recieve if he has three similiar years that Yaz had.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I see your point Dan about the Salary, but he will always be great to me and all Sox fans....it was a different offensive era and Yaz was a Great Lf and very good 1st baseman...after that contract Yaz strugged with Back Injuries, the 72 season you mention he only played 125 games. someone who retired in the Top Ten in Baseball History...in Hits, 2B, RBI's, and I think top 12 in Runs Scored....clearly had a great Career....not just a good one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I remember when Yaz signed for $100,000 per year : but how much would the greedy owners drop ticket prices if that happened? Not as much as you think...nobody goes to see John Henry...they go to see Pedro
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

And if they did drop the prices, some lucky scalpers would pick up the tickets and they would be the ones making the money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rubble. Show Rubble's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I remember when Yaz signed for $100,000 per year : I'm sure there would be a line but only those who couldn't suit up for any of the other professional sports we would lose some of  our of top athletes what's your problem with them getting the big bucks no worries the owners get a pretty good share as they should
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

The problem with the big money contracts is that in order to pay for them the fans have to pay big money to go to a game. Tickets, parking, concessions, etc...adds up to hundreds of dollars.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I remember it well.

If Yaz had today's pitchers, balls and DH situation, he'd have hundreds more hits, lifetime. 

Pay?  Easily $20 mill ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

"Amazingly, In February 1971, Carl Yastrzemski signed a three-year contract that was reported to pay him $500,000 over the three seasons. At that time his contract was the largest in baseball history. That yearly average of $166,666 would be a little under 1mm in 2011 dollars.....with a current ML minimum of about 400K and the average salary around 3.5mm."

Excellent analysis up to this point. Next step should compare Yaz's $1 mil. salary to that of the average outfielder today. That figure must be available.

Using your CPI inflator coefficient to convert 1971 dollars to 2012 dollars, you will find that the average MLB salary has increased at a much higher rate than CPI. Yaz was considered to be an above average outfielder and hitter and his salary would easily be above average. I would guess that Yaz would command a salary today between $15-20 mil.

Professional sports salaries rose faster than inflation and some of the obvious reasons are the technology that allows fans to watch or listen to every game no matter where they live and the fact that every game is now aired. Because of this the sponsor revenue has skyrocketed as well as the cost of the rights fees that must be paid to the franchises by the broadcasters. Due to such easy access to games the fanbases have also greatly increased which is all great for the owners and the players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yaz had a better year in 1967 than Lyndon Johnson

25. This post has been removed.