I think the pitching is going to be good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I think the pitching is going to be good

Now, when I say "good", I don't think they are going to be as good as the Rays or Nationals.  But, they will be better than average.

With Farrel back, you have to think that is going to help some.  Particularly with Lester who not long ago was one of the premier lefties in the game.  He is in his prime now, and there is zero reason to think that he shouldn't be able to get back to his old self.  Or at least close, which would be fine with me.  He had 4 very good years, and only 1 bad one.  Plus, he has something to prove.  Why shouldn't we expect him back to the way he was?

Buchholz is said to have the best stuff on the team.  He has shown this many times as well.  Again, with Farrel being back to help him some with his disciplne, if he can stay healthy, no reason to think he shouldn't be decent as well.

True, they don't have an ace on their team, but they have 2 solid #2 guys.

After that really comes their strong points with the pitching.  Depth.  They have like 9 guys very capable of filling out a back part of the rotation. 

Dempster (although not a real fan of him).                                                                Lackey (had several good years with the Angels, so he has proven he can do it.  Was probably hurt his real bad season.  Now healthy, and also something to prove.  He also has that mentality to WANT to prove people wrong. 

Morales - who I think if given a fair shot (not sure he will get that) can easily take the #3 spot.  He showed flashes of dominance last year.  Now with Farrell here ......

Then they have Doubrant, Aceves, maybe even Tawaza.  Those 3 also have the stuff to easily be a #4 or #5 guy.  Remember, a #4 or #5 guy doesn't have to be great,  Only decent.  Which those 3 are.

True, not everyone is going to answer the call we are hoping for.  There will be some dissapointments and injuries too.  But, that is 8 guys for 5 spots.  But, I am not finished.

Then we have 4 guys who are on the verge of being available in our minor league system with Barnes, De la Rosa, Webster, and Wright.  All 4 of these guys have earned high praise and should be available by mid summer if needed.  This is after the 8 guys already on our roster.

Finally, we have an awesome pen to where our starters won't have to perform lights out anyways.   Just get to the 6th inning or so.

Like I said, not all things are going to work out.  But, with the amount of available talent that the team has avaialbe to them, a great pen, and Farrell being back.  They should have any problems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: I think the pitching is going to be good

I share your guarded optimism regarding the Red Sox pitching staff.

The key may be whether catcher David Ross gets 100 starts ... I'd like to see Ross get at least 120 starts.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox have a very good bullpen.  

As for starters, Lester needs to be our #1 ace and Lackey needs to rebound.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The rotation should perform better than the doubters are projecting.  And the bullpen looks strong and deep enough to make up for any shortcomings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not a doubter as such but I think the 2013 performances of the big 3 of Lester, Buch and Lackey are extremely difficult to predict.  I can see Lester and Buch each pitching to a 3.5 ERA but it won't shock me if one or both is more like 4.5.  As for Lackey I'm optimistic he can come in around 4 but again I won't be shocked if it's 5.5.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Okay.

Now let's be serious.

The bullpen is maybe above average, "awesome" is a bit of a stretch.

The rotation is average at best.

When Lester and Buchholz are your best, you have problems. When you are counting on pitchers like Dempster and Lackey to have career seasons ( which is what it will take), you have problems.

When you think that bringing back a former pitching coach as your manager is like a magic spell....you are in dreamland.

Do I think the pitching will be "better?"...yes. Why because losers , Matsuzaka and Beckett are gone. That's the good news. The bad news is ...it's not enough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not a doubter as such but I think the 2013 performances of the big 3 of Lester, Buch and Lackey are extremely difficult to predict.  I can see Lester and Buch each pitching to a 3.5 ERA but it won't shock me if one or both is more like 4.5.  As for Lackey I'm optimistic he can come in around 4 but again I won't be shocked if it's 5.5.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

I expected Lester and Buchholz to be embarrassed into performing well in '12, after that disatser of an ending in '11.

Didn't happen.

If they and Lackey don't rebound, it's going to be another long summer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Like I said, not everything is going to work out.  If only 2 of the top 3 (Lester, Buch, and Lackey) come back (which is reasonable), they we have like 8 guys to fill 3 spots at the backend of our rotation.  I don't think we should have a problem to find 3 out of 8 chances.

My references to farrel is strictly attitude.  particularly with Lester.  One of his main downfalls last year was supposedly his attitude towards the umpires.  Who knows how many times Lester Pitched, already being in a bad mood becuase of the circus goiung on in the club house last year.  You all know from personal experience, when we are in bad moods, things bother us easier.  Farrel should clear this issue up for Lester and Buch to a certain extent.

Lackey doesn't have to have a career year.  Just similar to the way he used to pitch.  Dempster is my least favorite of all of these guys.  So, no comment on him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to sjddaj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like I said, not everything is going to work out.  If only 2 of the top 3 (Lester, Buch, and Lackey) come back (which is reasonable), they we have like 8 guys to fill 3 spots at the backend of our rotation.  I don't think we should have a problem to find 3 out of 8 chances.

My references to farrel is strictly attitude.  particularly with Lester.  One of his main downfalls last year was supposedly his attitude towards the umpires.  Who knows how many times Lester Pitched, already being in a bad mood becuase of the circus goiung on in the club house last year.  You all know from personal experience, when we are in bad moods, things bother us easier.  Farrel should clear this issue up for Lester and Buch to a certain extent.

Lackey doesn't have to have a career year.  Just similar to the way he used to pitch.  Dempster is my least favorite of all of these guys.  So, no comment on him.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I'd like to see Farrell grab Lester by the scruff of the neck (figuratively) the next time he pulls an attitude towards an ump.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Of course, "good" is a relative term.

When compared to Satan, I'm a really "good" person...

...compared to Jesus...well...

So if we are comparing the Red Sox pitching with the 2004 Baltimore Orioles , yes, they should be "good."

Comparing them to the 1986 Mets or 1968 Tigers...I would say, they look kind of sick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course, "good" is a relative term.

When compared to Satan, I'm a really "good" person...

...compared to Jesus...well...

So if we are comparing the Red Sox pitching with the 2004 Baltimore Orioles , yes, they should be "good."

Comparing them to the 1986 Mets or 1968 Tigers...I would say, they look kind of sick.

[/QUOTE]

"Good" thing they don't have to face either of those teams next season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm looking forward to all the injured players coming back. If everyone can stay relatively healthy, have we ever even seen all these guys play together? I'm also adding in players who are not pitching. This team IMO could be awesome. And not adding alot of big names, simply means that the players we already have are the big names. They might surprise everyone and live up to that status.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

Some people feel otherwise

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31888/red-sox-havent-improved-rotation-enough

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Said all along the RS will go as far as their starters take them. Bullpen has the makings of a real strength of the club. There are a lot of ifs w/ the starters but if most come back favorably, RS could be in the hunt for a playoff spot. If you have a solid group of starters could make up for lack of true No.1, but is Lackey healthy, do Lester/Buchholz get back to being the pitchers they were, does Doubront make next step, and Dempster pitch as well in AL? alot of questions. Seems last couple few years nothing has gone right for RS, whether injuries or just plain underperforming, have to figure one of these yrs team will stay relatively healthy and maybe some players will actually overperform.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Said all along the RS will go as far as their starters take them. Bullpen has the makings of a real strength of the club. There are a lot of ifs w/ the starters but if most come back favorably, RS could be in the hunt for a playoff spot. If you have a solid group of starters could make up for lack of true No.1, but is Lackey healthy, do Lester/Buchholz get back to being the pitchers they were, does Doubront make next step, and Dempster pitch as well in AL? alot of questions. Seems last couple few years nothing has gone right for RS, whether injuries or just plain underperforming, have to figure one of these yrs team will stay relatively healthy and maybe some players will actually overperform.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

True, they don't have an ace on their team, but they have 2 solid #2 guys.

While they have both pitched close to #1 level over stretches in their careers,  at the moment I think they both would be a #3 or #4 on all of the AL rivals. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Zill - as I said in my first post; "good" as in being better than average.  Will finish in the upper half of the league (not 1st or 2nd) in pitching.  Earlier you also said about "counting" on certain things.  Not necessarily "counting" on them.  The point was that we have an abundance of resources that we can feed from "if needed".

As I also said to everyone, yes there are many question marks.  Not all of them are going to be answered positively.  But, with the amount of possibiliteis that we have at our disposal should be more than enough to have decent pitching for the upcoming year.

** Don't need to read the thread.  It is already common knowledge what most people think the Sox pitching is going to be like this year.  Pretty bad.  That is why I started this thread.  I think have shown enough names that they are going to be wrong about the pitching.

Bill James predictions (as an example) was ridiculous.  Do you really think we are not going to have a single pitcher on our staff that won't have a better record than just 1 game above .500 with all of those decent possibilites that we have?  Come on. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Tom - yes, at the moment.  But Lester is too proven over a few years now and Buch has too much talent (and some proof as well) for them to pitch like they did last year.

With all of the chaos that went on last year, who knows what the attitudes were like of the pitchers when they took the mound.  To perfom well, you need to have a great attitude.  Not only about yourself, but the team in general that is playing behind you.  This was lacking last year, but should be there this year.  Which is why I think Lester, Buch, and to a degree Lackey are going to do fairly well this year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to sjddaj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tom - yes, at the moment.  But Lester is too proven over a few years now and Buch has too much talent (and some proof as well) for them to pitch like they did last year.

With all of the chaos that went on last year, who knows what the attitudes were like of the pitchers when they took the mound.  To perfom well, you need to have a great attitude.  Not only about yourself, but the team in general that is playing behind you.  This was lacking last year, but should be there this year.  Which is why I think Lester, Buch, and to a degree Lackey are going to do fairly well this year

[/QUOTE]

If they don't perform much better this year, they're pretty much out of excuses.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I agree.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

S. Drew will do his part in making sure the staff ERA is much higher that it would be if Iglesias was the SS.

Lester, Buch and Doubrant should be quite adequate starters. Tazawa has the potential to provide quality innings as a starter. Dumpster is going to get lit up, bigtime. Lackey should be able to provide adquate bottom of the rotation innings.

If the Red Sox use Ross a lot, and go with Iglesias at SS, I thiink the overall starters plus pen arms pitching staff will be adequate, given park and division factor. 

[/QUOTE]

Softy, I  hope you keep a log of your outrageous statements. I am very anxious to have a pitcher in our rotation that can be a #1 so we don't have to put Lester and Buch in the #1 slot which they are not capable of handling. Dempster should be the #1, I believe he is the highest paid starter, he has the most experience and he is capable of a heavy workload. I wish the best to Ryan Dempster for 2013.