I wonder about Wacha

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I wonder about Wacha

Yes, I think it's great this 22-year-old had a great game, but let's be realistic about how he was able to supposedly shut down the Red Sox. They haven't seen him. Am I right? Doesn't that make ALL the difference in the world in a baseball game? Didn't he also have THAT on his side?

I doubt he has the same success in another game. Take a wacha, Wacha.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: I wonder about Wacha

When Wacha gave up the homer to Ortiz, it ended his scoreless streak at 18 and 2/3 innings this postseason.  He deserves credit considering he is a rookie and he was the first-round draft pick received as compensation when Pujols signed with the Angels.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Good thing he didn't pitch is St. Louis, without the DH.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, in the National League Championship Series, Michael Wacha limited the Los Angeles Dodgers to five hits over 6.2 shutout innings in Game 2 and followed up with seven innings of two-hit shutout ball against the Dodgers in Game 6:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN201310120.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN201310180.shtml

Wacha faced lefthander Clayton Kershaw in each game. The Dodgers did not face Wacha in the regular season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wonder how many of the 18 teams that passed on him are already upset

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillyKlaus. Show BillyKlaus's posts

I noticed that he was losing speed on his fast ball after about 70 pitches, down 3-5 mph from 96 to low 90s and appeared to be throwing more changeups to compensate. I think Ortiz hit a changeup. If this is typical for him and if he doesn't come up with a reliable third pitch, big league hitters have a good chance of catching up to him, possibly in this series, next year most likely. He probably needs to get stronger.  No time to do that in this sieries.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

As much as Wacha has been a story this post season,  I think Carlos Martinez is going to be a much better pitcher....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Funny thing about Wacha he was ranked #8 in their Top 10 Prospects at beginning of year. Martinez was ranked ahead of him, at #4.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Yes, I think it's great this 22-year-old had a great game, but let's be realistic about how he was able to supposedly shut down the Red Sox.

They haven't seen him. Am I right? Doesn't that make ALL the difference in the world in a baseball game? Didn't he also have THAT on his side?

good point

that must be why teams start as many rookie pitchers as possible

I prefer to give credit to my opponent

if not  when you win who have you beaten

and then when you win

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, I think it's great this 22-year-old had a great game, but let's be realistic about how he was able to supposedly shut down the Red Sox. They haven't seen him. Am I right? Doesn't that make ALL the difference in the world in a baseball game? Didn't he also have THAT on his side?

[/QUOTE]

Huh?  That reeks of sour grapes.

Yeah, it wasn't his best game, but he gave up 2 runs and 4 hits.  Against this Sox team, that is shutting it down.  Sox beat Scherzer and Verlander twice each this season; did their stock drop because they lost to the best team in baseball? 

Except for those two Tigers, Wacha was the best they saw this postseason.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Many teams and scouts had doubts about Pedrioa and doubts about Pedro Martinez based on size.

I think it is bush league and improper to throw stones at a kid because our beloved team did not do well against him.

Let's give the kid credit, he knows how to pitch.

Whether he continues to dominate through the rest of his career, only time will tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For what it's worth, in the National League Championship Series, Michael Wacha limited the Los Angeles Dodgers to five hits over 6.2 shutout innings in Game 2 and followed up with seven innings of two-hit shutout ball against the Dodgers in Game 6:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN201310120.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN201310180.shtml

Wacha faced lefthander Clayton Kershaw in each game. The Dodgers did not face Wacha in the regular season.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was trying to say. Although, I wish the Dodgers did better on their second look.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Many teams and scouts had doubts about Pedrioa and doubts about Pedro Martinez based on size.

I think it is bush league and improper to throw stones at a kid because our beloved team did not do well against him.

Let's give the kid credit, he knows how to pitch.

Whether he continues to dominate through the rest of his career, only time will tell.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's bush league and improper to misrepresent what I was saying in my post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Huh?  That reeks of sour grapes.

Yeah, it wasn't his best game, but he gave up 2 runs and 4 hits.  Against this Sox team, that is shutting it down.  Sox beat Scherzer and Verlander twice each this season; did their stock drop because they lost to the best team in baseball? 

Except for those two Tigers, Wacha was the best they saw this postseason.   

[/QUOTE]

I don't even understand what you're trying to say. And I also think you misunderstood my post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And tonight is a great example of what I was trying to say. Not having seen him was an advantage on his side. Second time around, he has no such advantage, and they are hitting him.