If I was the new GM-----

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

If I was the new GM-----

If I were the new GM, I’d----

1. Re/roster. For the most part, go with what we’ve got. Offer Tek a coach/player spot, Ortiz 1 year at 15 mil, extend Scooter to 2 years and say goodbye to Wakefield and Drew. Pap would be resigned.

2. I would put money saved into coaches (maybe even one who can teach people how to bunt), conditioning (fried chicken and beer for lunch?), and some serious scouting.

3. Put all players (especially pitchers) on weight and strength control regimen. Was it Ledster who said all pitchers GAIN weight during the season? Not on my money, they wouldn’t.

4. I would go after either Joe Maddon and/or his pitching coach, Dickey, for my manager and/or pitching coach.

5. I think I would trade Youk; he’s been sounding out for Cincinnati, so I would give this new rookie (?) a shot. Lowrie can be there as back-up. I would give the young SS a shot.

6. Ellsbury would be my No. 3 hitter; he’s undoubtedly the best No. 3 hitter we’ve had since Yaz, and can probably lead the league in hitting and RBIs, for many years, hitting third.

7. Bard would make it as a starter, or he would be traded.

Yeh, the Babe reputedly drank heavily, and ate hotdogs in the bullpen, The Babe died at age 53.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: If I was the new GM-----

In Response to If I was the new GM-----:
    [QUOTE]If I were the new GM, I’d---- 1. Re/roster. For the most part, go with what we’ve got. Offer Tek a coach/player spot, Ortiz 1 year at 15 mil, extend Scooter to 2 years and say goodbye to Wakefield and Drew. Pap would be resigned. 2. I would put money saved into coaches (maybe even one who can teach people how to bunt), conditioning (fried chicken and beer for lunch?), and some serious scouting. 3. Put all players (especially pitchers) on weight and strength control regimen. Was it Ledster who said all pitchers GAIN weight during the season? Not on my money, they wouldn’t. 4. I would go after either Joe Maddon and/or his pitching coach, Dickey, for my manager and/or pitching coach. 5. I think I would trade Youk; he’s been sounding out for Cincinnati, so I would give this new rookie (?) a shot. Lowrie can be there as back-up. I would give the young SS a shot. 6. Ellsbury would be my No. 3 hitter; he’s undoubtedly the best No. 3 hitter we’ve had since Yaz, and can probably lead the league in hitting and RBIs, for many years, hitting third. 7. Bard would make it as a starter, or he would be traded. Yeh, the Babe reputedly drank heavily, and ate hotdogs in the bullpen, The Babe died at age 53.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

My response to mal, and if I were the GM:

1. Cya 'tek, don't let the door hit you on the way out....offer Ortiz 1 year at $10million (if he takes it fine he'll DH in 2012) if not I move on. Pick up Scutaro's option for the one year and $6million. Wake hold the door for 'tek as you are leaving. I'd sign Papelbon if the price is right or give Bell or Madson or even Jenks a chance to win the closer job if Paps demands are too high.

2. I'd actually not spend extra money on coaches just hire some that can do what I want them to do to keep the players sharp and help them when they go into slumps, since that really is their job. I'm not going to attempt to hire a manager who will bring in coaches that teach Agon, Ortiz, Youk how to bunt, this is the AL not the NL.

3. I'd then make sure I knew my pitchers names (and how to spell them) and understand that over a 162 games, and hot summer months, pitchers might need to carry a few extra pounds to stay strong...however I would emphasize that my manager and coaches preach conditioning so the pitchers can throw more than 100 pitches and get me quality starts (i.e. get into the 7th inning) and the batters can play 150 games.

4. Sure I'd look into Maddon or Bud Black if they were available, however would focus on managers that are available and would look at Tony Pena or Dave Martinez. I'd leave it to my manager to get himself coaches that will make him successful.

5. I would not rush Middlebrooks or Iglesias to the majors when they are top prospects that are not ready for prime time...plus I just brought Scutaro back so that Iglesias can get more seasoning...and I have Youk under contract to play 3B and bat in the middle of my line-up. Lowrie can come off the bench if I don't move him in a trade to for another position of need, like pitching. I'd have the manager give a good strong look at Kalish and Linares to take over RF for Drew, either as a tandem or whoever steps to the plate and shows he can take the job. Elsewise, I'd go looking for a OF at the trade deadline.

6. I'd hope the manager keep the top of the order just the way it was, since the top 4 (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez & Youk) did a decent job in those spots when they were healthy...top 5 if Ortiz is back. However that's his call.

7. I have no evidence that Daniel Bard would be a good starter, but I know he was a very good set up guy until he lost his way for whatever reason in September...hopefully my new pitching coach would help a kid like this in those situations.

8. I'd go shopping for more starting pitching and would try to give Lackey a break and get him out of Boston where he has had trouble fitting in with the fans. That is if I get something of value in return and not jump a player dump. Lackey can pitch for me if I'm paying him $17+ million a year.

The Babe was a once in a lifetime phenomena and his lifestyle off the field would not be my concern as long as he showed up to play everyday and produced like the Babe did...I'd tell my Babe-like player that he's responsible for himself and is only hurting himself if he eats, drinks and gets merry every night - just don't let me hear that you did it during games in my clubhouse!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]If I were the new GM, I’d---- 1. Re/roster. For the most part, go with what we’ve got. Offer Tek a coach/player spot, Ortiz 1 year at 15 mil, extend Scooter to 2 years and say goodbye to Wakefield and Drew. Pap would be resigned. 2. I would put money saved into coaches (maybe even one who can teach people how to bunt), conditioning (fried chicken and beer for lunch?), and some serious scouting. 3. Put all players (especially pitchers) on weight and strength control regimen. Was it Ledster who said all pitchers GAIN weight during the season? Not on my money, they wouldn’t. 4. I would go after either Joe Maddon and/or his pitching coach, Dickey, for my manager and/or pitching coach. 5. I think I would trade Youk; he’s been sounding out for Cincinnati, so I would give this new rookie (?) a shot. Lowrie can be there as back-up. I would give the young SS a shot. 6. Ellsbury would be my No. 3 hitter; he’s undoubtedly the best No. 3 hitter we’ve had since Yaz, and can probably lead the league in hitting and RBIs, for many years, hitting third. 7. Bard would make it as a starter, or he would be traded. Yeh, the Babe reputedly drank heavily, and ate hotdogs in the bullpen, The Babe died at age 53.
      If I was the owner the first thing I'd do is fire you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In Response to Re: If I was the new GM-----:
    [QUOTE]In Response to If I was the new GM----- :   If I was the owner the first thing I'd do is fire you.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

You couldn't fire me; I'd have a 5 year contract in my pocket. This is the Red Sox, remember.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to If I was the new GM----- : My response to mal, and if I were the GM: 1. Cya 'tek, don't let the door hit you on the way out....offer Ortiz 1 year at $10million (if he takes it fine he'll DH in 2012) if not I move on. Pick up Scutaro's option for the one year and $6million. Wake hold the door for 'tek as you are leaving. I'd sign Papelbon if the price is right or give Bell or Madson or even Jenks a chance to win the closer job if Paps demands are too high. 2. I'd actually not spend extra money on coaches just hire some that can do what I want them to do to keep the players sharp and help them when they go into slumps, since that really is their job. I'm not going to attempt to hire a manager who will bring in coaches that teach Agon, Ortiz, Youk how to bunt, this is the AL not the NL. 3. I'd then make sure I knew my pitchers names (and how to spell them) and understand that over a 162 games, and hot summer months, pitchers might need to carry a few extra pounds to stay strong...however I would emphasize that my manager and coaches preach conditioning so the pitchers can throw more than 100 pitches and get me quality starts (i.e. get into the 7th inning) and the batters can play 150 games. 4. Sure I'd look into Maddon or Bud Black if they were available, however would focus on managers that are available and would look at Tony Pena or Dave Martinez. I'd leave it to my manager to get himself coaches that will make him successful. 5. I would not rush Middlebrooks or Iglesias to the majors when they are top prospects that are not ready for prime time...plus I just brought Scutaro back so that Iglesias can get more seasoning...and I have Youk under contract to play 3B and bat in the middle of my line-up. Lowrie can come off the bench if I don't move him in a trade to for another position of need, like pitching. I'd have the manager give a good strong look at Kalish and Linares to take over RF for Drew, either as a tandem or whoever steps to the plate and shows he can take the job. Elsewise, I'd go looking for a OF at the trade deadline. 6. I'd hope the manager keep the top of the order just the way it was, since the top 4 (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez & Youk) did a decent job in those spots when they were healthy...top 5 if Ortiz is back. However that's his call. 7. I have no evidence that Daniel Bard would be a good starter, but I know he was a very good set up guy until he lost his way for whatever reason in September...hopefully my new pitching coach would help a kid like this in those situations. 8. I'd go shopping for more starting pitching and would try to give Lackey a break and get him out of Boston where he has had trouble fitting in with the fans. That is if I get something of value in return and not jump a player dump. Lackey can pitch for me if I'm paying him $17+ million a year. The Babe was a once in a lifetime phenomena and his lifestyle off the field would not be my concern as long as he showed up to play everyday and produced like the Babe did...I'd tell my Babe-like player that he's responsible for himself and is only hurting himself if he eats, drinks and gets merry every night - just don't let me hear that you did it during games in my clubhouse!
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Some good points, but you're way off base on the use of Ellsbury. The lead-off guy's job is to get on base; why? So the best hitters can drive him in. Isn't that basic? And who's the best hitter on the Red Sox: Ellsbury. I would want him looking to drive the ball on the first good pitch he sees (and 90% of the time that is the first or second pitch. I don't want him bun ting for a base hit, or looking for a base on balls. I want him driving in runs!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

GM does not have control over batting orders or pitching rotation etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I was the new GM----- : Some good points, but you're way off base on the use of Ellsbury. The lead-off guy's job is to get on base; why? So the best hitters can drive him in. Isn't that basic? And who's the best hitter on the Red Sox: Ellsbury. I would want him looking to drive the ball on the first good pitch he sees (and 90% of the time that is the first or second pitch. I don't want him bun ting for a base hit, or looking for a base on balls. I want him driving in runs!

Then change the line up.  Fracona is gone.  So therefore, the line up isnt going to be the same as it was in the last two years.  

1. Crawford, 2. Pedy 3. Ellsbury 4. A-gonz and the next three will be determine on who is coming in or out of the organization.  And the last two are more likely will be 8. Salty and 9. Scutaro.  If Lavarnway will catch, it is more likely  he can move to #5 to #6 spot.  If Youkilis is coming back, he is better off to bat #6 or #7.  That was one thing I disagreed with Fracona putting Youkilis at the #4 spot!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If I were the new GM....

1) I would not offer Pap and Papi an offer. Combined, they will cost about 30 mil/ yr I would rather go for somebody else with that money.

2) look for possible trade partner for Youk.  I would knock on doors of Angels, Cards, Twins, Indians, Reds, Rockies, Nats to see if they are interested in Youk trading.  I would at least ask for a highly rated pitching prospect  who will be major league ready in one or two yrs. 

3) I'm keeping Lackey at least for Spring training.  His value is the worst right now.  We can't get anything out of him right now.  I'm gonna keep him and see he shows some improvements cause he can't get any worse.  If he struggles as usual, then I'll call Padres GM right away.

4) Ask high return for Beckett trade.  Throw out his name on the trading block and If anyone is interested and gives us high return, then I'm not going to hesitate.  I don't think Beckett's gonna stick around in Boston and retire as Sox. 

5) I want Fielder as my DH.  He's born to be DH and he can be a good fit in Fenway, Yankees stadium, Camden yard, Topicana field.. you get my point right?  He is very valueable in AL east division and I cannot watch Yanks, Rays, Jays take him away if he is to come to this division.  25 mil/ yr for 5 yrs .  I know it's quite expensive for a DH but he will produce offense worth that money. 

6) RP - I will sign one of these guys no matter what.  Jonathan Brox, Matt Capps, K-Rod, Joe Nathan, or Heath Bell.  one of them will share duty of closer job with Bard. 

7) RHB OFer - I'm definitely getting one either from FA signing or trading.  I really want Michael Morse if we can get him via trade.  Melky Cabrera is another candidate who just had his career year. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I was the new GM----- : Some good points, but you're way off base on the use of Ellsbury. The lead-off guy's job is to get on base; why? So the best hitters can drive him in. Isn't that basic? And who's the best hitter on the Red Sox: Ellsbury. I would want him looking to drive the ball on the first good pitch he sees (and 90% of the time that is the first or second pitch. I don't want him bun ting for a base hit, or looking for a base on balls. I want him driving in runs!

mal, Ellsbury had a tremendous breakout year in 2011, however, I do not see that kind of production being repeated year after year...

...Ellsbury can be a similar player to Ricky Henderson who was probably the best leadoff hitter the game's ever had. Plus, Adrian Gonzalez is the perfect number 3 hitter whose job is to get on base and drive in runs...he was pretty good at that in 2011 also.

Of all the things wrong with the Red Sox in 2011...the top 5 spots in the batting order was not part of it!

Don't fix what ain't broken.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I was the new GM----- : mal, Ellsbury had a tremendous breakout year in 2011, however, I do not see that kind of production being repeated year after year... ...Ellsbury can be a similar player to Ricky Henderson who was probably the best leadoff hitter the game's ever had. Plus, Adrian Gonzalez is the perfect number 3 hitter whose job is to get on base and drive in runs...he was pretty good at that in 2011 also. Of all the things wrong with the Red Sox in 2011...the top 5 spots in the batting order was not part of it! Don't fix what ain't broken.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Esslbury's breakout year was a couple of years ago when he stole 70 bases. A lot of great-hitters-to-be started off as lead off hitters, and then after "emerging" as more than a singles/walks/basestealer, they moved into the spot where they could be better used. (ex. Bonds) What is so complicated about this? He's better than a lead=off hitter needs to be; and I would not want him taking good pitches so as to get on base!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Ellsbury would be the best Red Sox #3 hitter since Yaz? Do you really think he'd be THAT incredible, or are you just forgetting some of the guys who have held the fort at that spot (even just in the last 15 years)?

How about Manny Ramirez/David Ortiz?
    And how about Nomar? Ellsbury has a long way to go to crack a .370 BA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury would be the best Red Sox #3 hitter since Yaz? Do you really think he'd be THAT incredible, or are you just forgetting some of the guys who have held the fort at that spot (even just in the last 15 years)? How about Manny Ramirez/David Ortiz? And how about Nomar? Ellsbury has a long way to go to crack a .370 BA.
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

Are we forgetting that A-Gon hit .338 this year? I think he is the sox best hitter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

The job of every hitter is to get on base.  If you don't get on base, you can't score.  I want every hitter to try to get a walk, bunt hit, slap single, infield hit, or hbp.  Whatever it takes.  Yes, I would agree that certain people have a nack to drive in runs, but they can't drive them in if they are do not have RISP in front of him.  In general, your top 5 OBP guys need to be in the top 5 spots in the order, with your best speed guys at the head of that list.  Jake and Pedroia are the best speed guys.  Youk, papi, and agon are the slowest ones.  amazing, the linup almost makes itself.  Find a #3 or #4 SP, closer, RF(at least a platoon guy), and offer papi 1 year at 8m, with a club option for 10m for year 2, or a 2m buyout/going away present for time served.  Replace him with another RH hitter(3B, OF, or C).  I love papi, he haqs been a great hitter for sure, but he is a flexibility anchor.  Way too much $ for a player who can't play in the field.