If Iggy hits?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Iggy hits?

Hypothetical scenario here and I'm looking for two answers.  First question is what the Sox should do? And secondly what you think they will do?

With Drew questionable for opening day it appears the door is open for Iggy to be our opening day short stop.  If Iglesias hits, then what happens when drew comes back?  does Iggy get sent down to Pawtucket? Or do the sox find a new home for Drew.?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: If Iggy hits?

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Hypothetical scenario here and I'm looking for two answers.  First question is what the Sox should do? And secondly what you think they will do?

With Drew questionable for opening day it appears the door is open for Iggy to be our opening day short stop.  If Iglesias hits, then what happens when drew comes back?  does Iggy get sent down to Pawtucket? Or do the sox find a new home for Drew.?

Thats the 10MIL $$$ question and it will be the same 10MIL that drives the answer here, unless of course DREWS injury makes it easy for Ben & LUCCIANNO's !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That's a good question. I don't have anything that even remotely resembles the answer to it. My personal preference would be if Jose is hitting, for him to get the time at SS. It would be a good problem to have though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Drew plays whenever he is healthy. Iggy goes to AAA. If Drew acts all Drewy and is injured 50% of the time, then fine. Try to move him and give Iggy the chance to strike out/ground out 5 times a game because you have no one else. If Drew stays healthy, trade Iggy to an NL team that can accept a shortstop who can't hit. The Red Sox can not. I'm not sure why people don't understand this. Iggy is probably not going to play much for the Boston Red Sox. He is a bust.

edit: actually scratch that. If Drew can't play, Ciriaco steps in. Iggy is destined for Pawtucket and then the trading block. I wish him well wherever he goes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

People have been having these same conversations about Iggy for two years now. If he hits at all he will be the starting SS. But he never has.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In my opinion, if Iggy is hitting at a respectable level he stays.  His defense is light years above Drews so the bar is low.  If he's hitting .240 ish his defense makes up for him but seeing how the majority of baseball under severely undervalue defense it becomes hard to understand. Now if Iggy's BA > .260 then it's a no-brainer. 

But I suspect he will be sent back down regardless, but if he continues to hit down in AAA or Drew struggles then Iggy comes back soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The signing of Drew was probably the most inexplicable move of the off season. Time to admit that it was a mistake and cut our losses. Iglesias should be the shortstop. Ciriaco should be the backup infielder.  Bogaerts should be the future third baseman. Middlebrooks would then move to first. The other option would be for Bogaerts to move to left field. The Sox need to resist the urge to sign stop gap mediocre veterans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The signing of Drew was probably the most inexplicable move of the off season. Time to admit that it was a mistake and cut our losses. Iglesias should be the shortstop. Ciriaco should be the backup infielder.  Bogaerts should be the future third baseman. Middlebrooks would then move to first. The other option would be for Bogaerts to move to left field. The Sox need to resist the urge to sign stop gap mediocre veterans.

Another good one, DENNIE  !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Go Iggy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

While I generally agree with the majority of this I just want to say that I think we overestimate how often and soon prospects will be able to contribute at the MLB level. Prospects also don't always reach the ceilings we assume they will or they bust.  Kalish, Bowden, Place.  Anyone remember Lar Anderson?  Don't look now but Xander Bogaerts has mashed it up until now, don't accuse me of Blasphemy but if he severely struggles this year his career will oddly resemble Lars up until then.  You sign the stop gap player because you don't want to commit long term and block a top prospect.  Also very often top prospects do become good valuable players but it takes them some time to develop, like Clay Buccholz. Just because a player has nothing left to prove in the minors doesn't mean he won't struggle off the bat in the bigs.  Sometimes they are still developing and need to make adjustments.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The Sox should go with Iggy to start the season.  It's the perfect opportunity, as this injury gives him "a shot" to show what he can do, with the reduced pressure of being expected to play a staring role.

My guess is....  The Sox will start with Ciriaco.  No problem!  I really like Ciriaco   :)  The kid can field and HIT.  Still, I would like to see Iggy get the nod.  Time to find out if he can be a big league hitter.  Good ST, so go with it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think regardless of whether Iggy hits he won't start over Ciriaco.  If Drew is on the DL for any length of time this season, then I could see Iggy and Ciriaco sharing the position.  At the moment Iggy is still considered our number three SS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

No doubt that this team becomes a lot more interesting with Iglesias at SS and Bradley in the OF mix at the start of the year. From a fan's perspective. I can see Iglesias starting at SS but I still think they will keep Bradley in AAA until his service time issues insure that extra year of control. I think most of us would like to se Bradley in the starting lineup though from a fan's perspective.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

While I generally agree with the majority of this I just want to say that I think we overestimate how often and soon prospects will be able to contribute at the MLB level. Prospects also don't always reach the ceilings we assume they will or they bust.  Kalish, Bowden, Place.  Anyone remember Lar Anderson?  Don't look now but Xander Bogaerts has mashed it up until now, don't accuse me of Blasphemy but if he severely struggles this year his career will oddly resemble Lars up until then.  You sign the stop gap player because you don't want to commit long term and block a top prospect.  Also very often top prospects do become good valuable players but it takes them some time to develop, like Clay Buccholz. Just because a player has nothing left to prove in the minors doesn't mean he won't struggle off the bat in the bigs.  Sometimes they are still developing and need to make adjustments.

Too  many fans are impatient in letting young players develop. I'd rather sign a stop-gap veteran to give the young player an extra few months or a year to develop, rather  than sign or trade for a high-priced veteran and losing that young player.

How much better would the Sox be had they signed a stop-gap veteran to give Anthony Rizzo the extra year to develop instead of trading him for A-Gon? 

If Iggy gets the chance to start the season and doesn't look lost at the plate, I'm all for keeping him. 

Young players who mash in the minors don't always pan out so it is sometimes of a crpshoot on which ones to stick with and which ones to trade. The Red Sox have done quite well for the most part in choosing which ones to stick with and which ones to trade.

In Rizzo's case, I don't think they gave up on him. They just didn't want to wait so they went and got A-Gon.

Anderson, David Murphy and Brandon Moss were all right calls. Yes, Murphy is a nice player but at the time, there was no room and he's hardly an All-Star. He's a very replaceable type of player. And to me, the jury still is out on Josh Reddick. He hit 30 homers last year but most of his other stats were medicore or poor. It will be interesting to see if he build on last year or turns is just a flash in a pan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

I agree totally with your post

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I think regardless of whether Iggy hits he won't start over Ciriaco.  If Drew is on the DL for any length of time this season, then I could see Iggy and Ciriaco sharing the position.  At the moment Iggy is still considered our number three SS.

I disagree, Iggys defense is beyond Pedro's and Pedro can't walk.  Even if he hits .290 his OBP will likely be around .292.  I think that causes people to over estimate his offense, when the bar for Iggy to surpass Ciriaco is low.  I think Iggy should start over Pedro, I think he may but I won't be surprised if the Sox go the path of what you are suggesting. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Too  many fans are impatient in letting young players develop. I'd rather sign a stop-gap veteran to give the young player an extra few months or a year to develop, rather  than sign or trade for a high-priced veteran and losing that young player.

How much better would the Sox be had they signed a stop-gap veteran to give Anthony Rizzo the extra year to develop instead of trading him for A-Gon? 

If Iggy gets the chance to start the season and doesn't look lost at the plate, I'm all for keeping him. 

Young players who mash in the minors don't always pan out so it is sometimes of a crpshoot on which ones to stick with and which ones to trade. The Red Sox have done quite well for the most part in choosing which ones to stick with and which ones to trade.

In Rizzo's case, I don't think they gave up on him. They just didn't want to wait so they went and got A-Gon.

Anderson, David Murphy and Brandon Moss were all right calls. Yes, Murphy is a nice player but at the time, there was no room and he's hardly an All-Star. He's a very replaceable type of player. And to me, the jury still is out on Josh Reddick. He hit 30 homers last year but most of his other stats were medicore or poor. It will be interesting to see if he build on last year or turns is just a flash in a pan.

Exactly, and might I add that while I like Murphy and think a player like him adds value to the team I think when players like him are prospects fans expect them to be all-stars when they reach the majors.  A player who comes to mind now is a Bryce Brentz.  Whlie I think he could be good, I don't think he will ever be a middle of the order bat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Exactly, and might I add that while I like Murphy and think a player like him adds value to the team I think when players like him are prospects fans expect them to be all-stars when they reach the majors.  A player who comes to mind now is a Bryce Brentz.  Whlie I think he could be good, I don't think he will ever be a middle of the order bat.

I agree with your point in Murphy. As for Brentz, you might be right, but I haven't seen him enough to have an opinion one way or another.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ciriaco has a career .299 OBP in the minors (a huge sample size). His MLB sample size is scattered and small.

To criticize Iggy for his OBP and assume Pedro can be a plus offensive player over a long stretch is pushing it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

No doubt that this team becomes a lot more interesting with Iglesias at SS and Bradley in the OF mix at the start of the year. From a fan's perspective. I can see Iglesias starting at SS but I still think they will keep Bradley in AAA until his service time issues insure that extra year of control. I think most of us would like to se Bradley in the starting lineup though from a fan's perspective.

From what I understand, Bradley could be sent to Pawtucket to start , then called up after April 12. Sox would only have played a handful of games by then , so this makes sense to get another year of control. I can't disagree with that strategy. Looking forward to see an exciting Sox team , with the right mix of youth and veterans. I understand the point about sometimes needing stop gap veterans , but the last couple of years we have had more ham and eggers than "Mom's " Roadside Diner. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ciriaco has a career .299 OBP in the minors (a huge sample size). His MLB sample size is scattered and small.

To criticize Iggy for his OBP and assume Pedro can be a plus offensive player over a long stretch is pushing it.

between Iggy and PC i would definitely go with Iggy, he has everything to gain whereas PC isnt going to  "improve" we know what we are going to get from PC. Iggy has room for growth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Exactly, Pedro isn't a starter.  I love I'm on our bench though.  Good speed, good contact hitter, can play multiple infield position.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If Drew's ready, he should and will start the season.  If Drew is hurt or needs more at-bats, he can start the season in Pawtucket on a re-hab assignment, and replace Iglesias when he's ready.  If Drew falters, and Iglesias plays well, Iglesias will win the position.  If both Drew & Iglesias play well, Drew can be traded for a prospect.  

Drew has looked good on defense, and there's no reason to expect that he will miss significant time with a concussion.  To me, it looks like the Sox got a pretty good value that could lead to decent return at the break.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

There are exactly 10,000,000 reasons why Drew will be starting as soon as he leaves the disabled list. He's currently on the disabled list, even though they don't have to make official roster moves for another couple of weeks.

This managment reacts and compounds the mistakes it makes. It then spends a season reinforcing the mistake. It then writes off the mistake. It then rinses and repeats the mistake. They don't have any plan on SS, except to keep up the endless comedy of searching for a slugger they can stick at SS.

actually, there are exactly 9,500,001 reasons why he will be starting over Iggy once he is cleared from his concussion. the moolah and the fact that he is a better SS than Iggy.