If the season begins tomorrow, what's your lineup and rotation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If the season begins tomorrow, what's your lineup and rotation?

It's been quiet offseason for the Sox so far and we still have roughly month and a half for the ST to start.  If the opening day is tomorrow, who makes your 25 and starting lineup and rotation?  Let's have little fun.

My lineup and bench players

1. Shane Victorino RF

2. Dustin Pedroia 2B

3. David Ortiz DH

4. Mike Napoli 1B

5. Daniel Nava LF

6. Xander Bogaerts SS

7, AJ Pierzynski C

8. Will Middlebrooks 3B

9. Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

Bench: Jonny Gomes LF, David Ross C, Mike Carp 1B/OF, Jonathan Herrera UTIL

Rotation

Jon Lester

Clay Buchholz

Jake Peavy

Felix Doubront

John Lackey

BP

Brandon Workman LR

Andrew Miller LR

Burke Badenhop

Junichi Tazawa

Craig Breslow

Edward Mujica SU

Koji Uehara CL

These are my 25 and I really don't think Dempster will be with the team on opening day.  I see Tazawa, Carp, Britton, Dempster, or Workman as trade candidate.  Taz and Workman could be valuable trade asset.  Since our rotation is full already and young guns waiting to be called up, Workman could be our valuable righty out of BP if Taz gets traded while Taz makes Workman expendable who will bring in more for return at the same time.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: If the season begins tomorrow, what's your lineup and rotation?

I think you nailed it.

If we face a lefty, Gomes would bat 5th, and I might think of flipping Papi and Naps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think you nailed it.

If we face a lefty, Gomes would bat 5th, and I might think of flipping Papi and Naps.

Yup I thought of putting Naps in 3rd first which will improve his stats greatly because of Papi's protection but then Naps also is a strike out batter and we all want to see Papi in the 1st inning.  If a lefty starts the game against the Sox, I won't be surprised to see Naps batting 3rd.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's been quiet offseason for the Sox so far and we still have roughly month and a half for the ST to start.  If the opening day is tomorrow, who makes your 25 and starting lineup and rotation?  Let's have little fun.

1. Shane Victorino RF

2. Dustin Pedroia 2B

3. David Ortiz DH

4. Mike Napoli 1B

5. Daniel Nava LF

6. Xander Bogaerts SS

7, AJ Pierzynski C

8. Will Middlebrooks 3B

9. Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

Rotation

Jon Lester

Clay Buchholz

Jake Peavy

Felix Doubront

John Lackey

BP

Brandon Workman LR

Andrew Miller LR

Burke Badenhop

Junichi Tazawa

Craig Breslow

Edward Mujica SU

Koji Uehara CL

These are my 25 and I really don't think Dempster will be with the team on opening day.  I see Tazawa, Carp, Britton, Dempster, or Workman as trade candidate.  Taz and Workman could be valuable trade asset.  Since our rotation is full already and young guns waiting to be called up, Workman could be our valuable righty out of BP if Taz gets traded while Taz makes Workman expendable who will bring in more for return at the same time.  

[/QUOTE]

Yep....as moon said, that's pretty much it.  I think that Nava MAY slide into the leadoff spot because hes one of the best on the team at working the pitcher.  I personally prefer Vic at the 2 and Pedey at 3 but I think your lineup makes the most sense though for the current makeup of this team.  I'm hoping that maybe someday JBJ can become a leadoff hitter since he does have good on-base skills (in the minors) but I won't hold my breath for that.  I'm thinking he may become a trade candidate at some point......no idea why, just a 'feeling'.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

not sure if you put the rotation in any particular order but Lackey should be 3rd on that list.

King makes a good point about the top of the lineup but i think until we learn more about JBJ he is better off in the 9 spot.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not sure if you put the rotation in any particular order but Lackey should be 3rd on that list.

King makes a good point about the top of the lineup but i think until we learn more about JBJ he is better off in the 9 spot.....

[/QUOTE]

I  agree about Lackey.

And I'd consider moving A.J. to fifth because of his power and slotting Nava and Bogaerts down a slot. I really don't like Nava at No. 5.

Or maybe leave A.J. at No. 7 and when Nava plays, put him a No. 2 and slide everyone down a spot. When Gomes plays slide him or A.J. in at No. 5.

Of course, if Bradley, Bogaerts and Middlebrooks all hit, it will be interesting to see how the lineup adjusts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

The lineup looks quite feasible.  But, as for me, with the temperature hovering near 22 degrees here in Pensacola, if the season were to begin tomorrow, I'd be packing my bags for a 600 mile road trip to Fort Myers. Smiley

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Stay warm everybody!

6-futuristic-fireplaces-to-keep-you-warm-this-winter-65bfb3fb72.jpg (950×534)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

gonna be 55F here in jersey on saturday. 

all the han solo girls should be back out in force....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I live in NJ also and I believe it went down as low as 5 degress few days ago.  That's 50 degress apart in a week.  Crazy.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'd have Drew in my lineup, and also Tanaka in the rotation. :)

I wonder why no one thought of Nava playing first before the Napoli contract. Is that really impossible? He seems like a good player, and it would have kept him in the lineup. Or Gomes at first. We may have to think about it if Napoli's degenerative hip becomes a problem.

Lowell was still playing third base even though he could barely run because that's the way he wanted it. I hope we don't have to do that again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

CF JBJ

RF Shane Victorino                      Lester

2B Dustin Pedrioa                        Buchholz

DH David Ortiz                             Lackey

1B Mike Napoli                             Doubrant

C AJP                                          Peavy

3B Middlebrooks

LF Nava

SS Bogaerts

The only changes that could happen would be due to trades or injuries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Sean,

looks about right if the season started today Dempster would be on the roster $ More than likely Workman will begin the season in AAA as a starter to stay stretched out and continue to build his Innings total ideally he'd pitch in the 130 to 150 range to ready himself for a shot at earning a spot  in the Sox rotation begining in 2015. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I am going to suggest that Pedroia become the Sox full time leadoff guy regardless of the stats that may show that he has not been a great leadoff man in the few times he has hit in that spot over the course of his career.

There is no guy in the league who will respond to the challenge of being the leadoff hitter especially if he is going to be there all year.  He will dig in, get on base like crazy and not worry about anything else.  He will still get his doubles and some HRs although he may drive in fewer runs.

His future contract is certainly not going to be determined by how many runs he will drive in for the next few years.

He has often stated, while batting second or even third) that his "job" is to get on base so I do not see what changes he would have to make by moving up in the line up.

He plays almost every game and he is also fast enough to steal 25 bases from the leadoff spot, and will provide a ton of line up stability by anchoring the first spot every day.  The stolen bases will not rival Ellsbury, but the Red Sox do not appear to have anyone else who will steal the same number of bases either.

Pedroia in the lead off spot allows Victorino to not have to bounce around in the lineup and also lets Ortiz bat third where he will get an at-bat in the first inning every game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

If no other moves are made, I would say you hit it seanny

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i still think i'd slot pedroia as my leadoff guy. i just dont see a leadoff platoon of Nava/IVC working out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I dont want Pedroia in a position where he feels he needs to steal many bases.  Too enthusiastic, and too much head first stuff. Hey, we could use a guy like Ells leading off. Oh well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i still think i'd slot pedroia as my leadoff guy. i just dont see a leadoff platoon of Nava/IVC working out.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like Nava for leadoff. He had a good OBP last year.

He just needs to work on his baserunning a bit.

He's certainly not going to steal a ton, unfortunately.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Pedey to lead off could be something that team would consider.  He works the count and doesn't strike out much.  Now he doesn't play the game by his speed but Pedey is good base runner and can steal 20 bags yearly.  That's not the ideal number for your leadoff hiiter but Pedey is capable of scoring runs.  I think it's good idea.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Shane Victorino RF

2. Dustin Pedroia 2B

3. David Ortiz DH

4. Mike Napoli 1B

5. Daniel Nava LF

6. Xander Bogaerts SS

7, AJ Pierzynski C

8. Will Middlebrooks 3B

9. Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

Rotation

Jon Lester

Clay Buchholz

Jake Peavy

Felix Doubront

John Lackey

BP

Brandon Workman LR

Andrew Miller LR

Burke Badenhop

Junichi Tazawa

Craig Breslow

Edward Mujica SU

Koji Uehara CL

[/QUOTE]

I would lead off with Nava against righties and Victorino against lefties... but that's my only correction really.  Very good list and pretty much what we can expect to start the year barring injuries.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd like Nava for leadoff. He had a good OBP last year.

He just needs to work on his baserunning a bit.

He's certainly not going to steal a ton, unfortunately.

[/QUOTE]

Victorino gets on base very well vs LHPs, so I'd keep him number 1 vs lefty starters, but his OBP vs RHPs is about .330.

Nava gets on base at .390 vs RHPs and .307 vs LHPs (Gomes at .377).

I could see doing this:

vs RHPs:

1. Daniel Nava LF

2. Dustin Pedroia 2B

3. David Ortiz DH

4. Mike Napoli 1B

5. Xander Bogaerts SS

6. Shane Victorino RF

7, AJ Pierzynski C

8. Will Middlebrooks 3B

9. Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

vs LHPs: