If we have a big lead in the 9th in game 6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: If we have a big lead in the 9th in game 6

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we have a big lead in the ninth, I am not going to be too worried about who closes it out.  As for Koji, he has been everything you could ask for and more.   I do think that he is starting to show some signs of wearing down.  Hopefully, he has one more save in him.

[/QUOTE]

Denny, what about a 1-2 run lead after 6?   Or after 7?

I'd be tempted to ask too much of Uehara by asking him to pitch 3 after 6, but 2 IP 8-9?  Slam dunk, ride your best horse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If we have a big lead in the ninth, I am not going to be too worried about who closes it out.  As for Koji, he has been everything you could ask for and more.   I do think that he is starting to show some signs of wearing down.  Hopefully, he has one more save in him.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be tempted to ask too much of Uehara by asking him to pitch 3 after 6, but 2 IP 8-9?  Slam dunk, ride your best horse.

[/QUOTE]

Probably four or five outs. Two full innings at the most. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ahhh...another thought:   this is an imperfect analogy as Uehara seems to be at the pinnacle of his career as the top relief pitcher today/ever(?)....whereas the then still-great batter but hobbled fielder Bill Buckner was not in 1986.  Stapleton had been his late-game defensive replacement dozens(?) of times in 1986....and 3-4 times in the WS.  But, curiously, not in Game 7????

The cowardly, lying hound McNamara has never, to my knowledge, admitted that he kept Buckner on the field to win on the field.

My point?  Win, win, win, win.  

If in the 9th inning tomorrow Tazawa is mowing the Cards down and Napoli has fielded flawlessly all game would you call time to put in Uehara to pitch and Ortiz to play first?  I wouldn't and I'd bet Koji and David wouldn't either....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to be in the game. I bet it would be hard to keep them off the field. I'm sure if Koji's arm fell off tonight, he'd have it duct-taped on tomorrow to play. Probably goes for all of them. I doubt anyone stays out due to soreness or injuries. They'd never say it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Probably four or five outs. Two full innings at the most. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't ask for more than two either.  But unless the previous pitcher is dominating I'd ask for two.

Thank goodness the Sox stopped signing Japanese pitchers a couple of years ago.  Who's next, Masanori Murakimi Jr.?  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/murakma01.shtml

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

Ahhh...another thought:   this is an imperfect analogy as Uehara seems to be at the pinnacle of his career as the top relief pitcher today/ever(?)....whereas the then still-great batter but hobbled fielder Bill Buckner was not in 1986.  Stapleton had been his late-game defensive replacement dozens(?) of times in 1986....and 3-4 times in the WS.  But, curiously, not in Game 7????

The cowardly, lying hound McNamara has never, to my knowledge, admitted that he kept Buckner on the field to win on the field.

If in the 9th inning tomorrow Tazawa is mowing the Cards down and Napoli has fielded flawlessly all game would you call time to put in Uehara to pitch and Ortiz to play first?  I wouldn't and I'd bet Koji and David wouldn't either....

[/QUOTE]

I think the difference here is , we are talking about if it was a blowout. In a close game, you take no chances. In a blowout, it doesn't really matter. It would just be for show.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to be in the game. I bet it would be hard to keep them off the field. I'm sure if Koji's arm fell off tonight, he'd have it duct-taped on tomorrow to play. Probably goes for all of them. I doubt anyone stays out due to soreness or injuries. They'd never say it.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.  Jim Bouton wrote about this very clearly, dispassionately and brilliantly in "Ball Four".....athletes always want to succeed, never want to show frailty.....which is where managers and pitching coaches come in.

Has Clay Buchholz' future career been compromised by his four 2013 post-season starts (so far)?  I couldn't possibly know as I don't have access to his medical records.  But it's obvious something is seriously wrong with him physically.  But he keeps pitching.  His one 2013 post-season "Quality Start" he's made we lost, but despite increasingly lower velocity, fewer IP and mostly fewer P....he's gutted it out and we've won his last three starts.  His 2nd wasn't ace, but the last two might remind you of:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA201109252.shtml

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the difference here is , we are talking about if it was a blowout. In a close game, you take no chances. In a blowout, it doesn't really matter. It would just be for show.

[/QUOTE]

I think we are largely in agreement....but, personally, I'd prefer a 24-0, 6 grand slam blowout to another Uehara/Ortiz legendary, improbable victory.

Just win!....If Ortiz hits into 4 double plays with the bases loaded tomorrow and Uehara gives up 3 runs in the 9th but we still win....the team wins!  They win!  We win! And U & O will still be lionised forever for their Game 1-5 exploits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'm just saying I want "Manager John" and "Cherry's" team to win....and those other guys too, you know, the ones that actually play.

• Emotion is, IMO, the probable cause of the Sox losing the 1986 WS.....so
    • Do not change your current strategy to allow for emotion.....
    • Just win.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm just saying I want "Manager John" and "Cherry's" team to win....and those other guys too, you know, the ones that actually play.

• Emotion is, IMO, the probable cause of the Sox losing the 1986 WS.....so
    • Do not change your current strategy to allow for emotion.....
    • Just win.

[/QUOTE]

Emotion and also bad luck. In 1986, Calvin Schiraldi  got two quick outs , then gave up three straight singles. Each of them hit hard enough to clear the infield , but not hard enough to be caught by the outfielder. None were hit as hard as the ball Holiday hit off Koji on Monday. Schiraldi  was replaced by Stanley. A wild pitch ( passed ball?) and Buckner's error followed. That's baseball. That's the way it goes. It takes skill, it takes emotion and sometimes it takes luck. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

unless lackey is throwing a no-no....expect koji to get the final 3 outs no matter how much the sox are ahead....

[/QUOTE]

^ This

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.  Jim Bouton wrote about this very clearly, dispassionately and brilliantly in "Ball Four".....athletes always want to succeed, never want to show frailty.....which is where managers and pitching coaches come in.

Has Clay Buchholz' future career been compromised by his four 2013 post-season starts (so far)?  I couldn't possibly know as I don't have access to his medical records.  But it's obvious something is seriously wrong with him physically.  But he keeps pitching.  His one 2013 post-season "Quality Start" he's made we lost, but despite increasingly lower velocity, fewer IP and mostly fewer P....he's gutted it out and we've won his last three starts.  His 2nd wasn't ace, but the last two might remind you of:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA201109252.shtml

[/QUOTE]

If it's clear someone is having some difficulty in the game, they should come out. Like I said, they're never going to admit that in this game. I hope someone will be paying attention to that. It's better to win this game than win the next, since injuries could hamper their abilities next season. If they're playing great and everything's OK, even with soreness or whatever, than let them play. They deserve to be on the field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

tonight will be again, all hands on deck. this is gonna be a nail biter. don't be surprised if koji is asked to get 5 outs.

GO SOX!