Iggy, and batting championship requirements

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Iggy, and batting championship requirements

From wikipedia comes the simplest and most concise explanation of this rule which has changed several times over the years:

"From 1967 to the present, if the player with the highest average in a league fails to meet the minimum plate-appearance requirement, the remaining at-bats until qualification (e.g., 5 ABs, if the player finished the season with 497 plate appearances) are hypothetically considered hitless at-bats; if his recalculated batting average still tops the league, he is awarded the title. This is officially called Rule 10.22(a), but it is also known as the Tony Gwynn rule because the Padres' legend won the batting crown in 1996 with a .353 average on just 498 plate appearances (i.e., was four shy). Gwynn was awarded the title since he would have led the league even if he'd gone 0-for-4 in those missing plate appearances. His average would have dropped to .349, five points better than second-place Ellis Burks' .344"

Of course, we have to consider the difference between At-Bats and Plate Appearances. Iggy has a chance, but a very, very slim chance. He'd have to finish about .390 while Cabrera falls to about .330! Not likely. And, hopefully, not likely enough for him to start thinking about it! If he does "slim" becomes "none".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Iggy, and batting championship requirements

It's nearly impossible for Iggy to reach 502 PAs, even if we moved him to leadoff, and our offense kept chugging along at lead leading pace. He'd have to have a very high BA to add something like 0 for 70 and still be ahead.

It's not going to happen this year.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Definitely not happening out of the 9 spot.....but the fact tha o Jly 1st there is a post worrying about Iggy competing for the batting title is just plain hysterical to me.....even the Iggy supporters of which I was one would never have thought that was going to happen.....it goes to show how confidence and a players Mental State is just as important as their physical tools on how they perform at the Major league level.....people forget that even the .220 hitters we ridicule were all stars in School or in the lower minors  and whethr they succeed in the majors has alot to do on if they believe they belong in the majors.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Even for Iggy to end up with a batting average of .330 would be a baseball miracle. 

MLB pitchers are just starting to put together a book on him.  These pitchers are very nasty and ruthless people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's nearly impossible for Iggy to reach 502 PAs, even if we moved him to leadoff, and our offense kept chugging along at lead leading pace. He'd have to have a very high BA to add something like 0 for 70 and still be ahead.

It's not going to happen this year.

Sox4ever

The worst thing they could do would be to move him to lead-off. I can think of a dozen reasons, but so could you

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have been among the biggest supporters of Iglesias. Let's not get crazy. He will not win a batting championship.  

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Definitely not happening out of the 9 spot.....but the fact tha o Jly 1st there is a post worrying about Iggy competing for the batting title is just plain hysterical to me.....even the Iggy supporters of which I was one would never have thought that was going to happen.....it goes to show how confidence and a players Mental State is just as important as their physical tools on how they perform at the Major league level.....people forget that even the .220 hitters we ridicule were all stars in School or in the lower minors  and whethr they succeed in the majors has alot to do on if they believe they belong in the majors.

You are so on with this post.  I always get a kick about how people this guy is bad or this guy is not a good ballplayer.  The fact is if you are in the major leagues, you are not just good, you are one of the best. 

These guys were stars in high school, probably amongst the best in their state. I do sportswriting for high school in Western Mass, not a hot bed of major league talent, but occasionally someone makes it.  We get all excited out here wwhen someone gets drafted.  Think about the fact that there are 50 rounds in the draft and even the studs out here will never be part of that group of 1500. 

With 30 teams, there are 750 players in the majors.  Even if you are the 24th or 25th man, you are theoretically amongst the best 750 players. 

No if you make a major league roster, even for 5 minutes, you're good, very good.

On the Iglesias thing, besides the fact that it is premature to think he would have a high enough average to win it (he is not a 400 or even a 300 hitter).  He will come back down to earth at some point.  He needs 502 PA and there is no way he can get that in 78 games.  He's at about 125 and would need to average more than 4 per game.  Not gonna happen.

Now as far as BA, I did a little thing a week or so ago and put plugged in 0 to 50 hits in increments of ten.  Obviously he won't go hitless the rest of the way, nor will he be stuck at 10 or 20 even 30 hits over the final 78 games.  A more realsitic number is 40 or 50 hits.  At 40, he would be batting .200 for the rest of the year and that would leave him in the .270-.280 range.  Before the year started, who wouldn't have been happy with that.  If he got 50, he'd finish over .300 (by batting about .250 over half a season).  Weren't we saying, gee if he could just hit .230-.250 with his defense.  Bottom line is he would basically have to stop hitting altogether to even fall below .250 for the season.

Of course given what he has done, we would be very disappointed with those number now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to natepioneer0350's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE}

Actually, he has over 145 Plate Appearances, right now. In the first 1/2 of this season, Pedroia had over360 plate appearances. By my math, 145 + 360 = 505. Impractical, yes, impossible, not at all! Mainl, because if he falls a few AB's short, the "adjustment" factor could arise. Who is willing to lay odds he will not wind up at .340? I started thinking about it when I saw 1) that bunt to third base last week, then 2) the drag bunt the other night. Only Pete Rose was that good at being that accomplished.

You are so on with this post.  I always get a kick about how people this guy is bad or this guy is not a good ballplayer.  The fact is if you are in the major leagues, you are not just good, you are one of the best. 

These guys were stars in high school, probably amongst the best in their state. I do sportswriting for high school in Western Mass, not a hot bed of major league talent, but occasionally someone makes it.  We get all excited out here wwhen someone gets drafted.  Think about the fact that there are 50 rounds in the draft and even the studs out here will never be part of that group of 1500. 

With 30 teams, there are 750 players in the majors.  Even if you are the 24th or 25th man, you are theoretically amongst the best 750 players. 

No if you make a major league roster, even for 5 minutes, you're good, very good.

On the Iglesias thing, besides the fact that it is premature to think he would have a high enough average to win it (he is not a 400 or even a 300 hitter).  He will come back down to earth at some point.  He needs 502 PA and there is no way he can get that in 78 games.  He's at about 125 and would need to average more than 4 per game.  Not gonna happen.

Now as far as BA, I did a little thing a week or so ago and put plugged in 0 to 50 hits in increments of ten.  Obviously he won't go hitless the rest of the way, nor will he be stuck at 10 or 20 even 30 hits over the final 78 games.  A more realsitic number is 40 or 50 hits.  At 40, he would be batting .200 for the rest of the year and that would leave him in the .270-.280 range.  Before the year started, who wouldn't have been happy with that.  If he got 50, he'd finish over .300 (by batting about .250 over half a season).  Weren't we saying, gee if he could just hit .230-.250 with his defense.  Bottom line is he would basically have to stop hitting altogether to even fall below .250 for the season.

Of course given what he has done, we would be very disappointed with those number now.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Realistically Iggy wiil probably come to bat somewhere between 250-300 times between now and years end, at least that's my estimation. Even if he only hit .250 the rest of the way he still bat between .290-.300 for the year and pretty amazing considering he hit .143 in his call up year last year. I readily admit to really doubting Iggy's abilty to hit after last year and at this point including tonight this is 40 games which is beyond being a small sample. Not saying that Iggy will be a lifetime .300 hitter but it makes me wonder if he'll be better with the bat than we thought at one point. Maybe there is finally some hope that we've finally got our SS of the future and I was hopefully dead wrong which I'll more than admit to being happy about being dead wrong !!

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch