Iggy optioned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Iggy optioned

Maureen Mullen @MaureenaMullen
    #RedSox have optioned SS Jose Iglesias to AAA Pawtucket, activated SS Stephen Drew.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Re: Iggy optioned

Wow! I totally believe in Farell and if he decided to hone Iggy's skills in Paw, I like that. I believe there is wiggle room to  keep Drew for only a year. Somewone out there knows the details. I also believe JBJ shoul be sent down. He is our future. Lf can be rotated by Gomes, Nava, and even Carp if they keep him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:

Wow! I totally believe in Farell and if he decided to hone Iggy's skills in Paw, I like that. I believe there is wiggle room to  keep Drew for only a year. Somewone out there knows the details. I also believe JBJ shoul be sent down. He is our future. Lf can be rotated by Gomes, Nava, and even Carp if they keep him.

1) Iggy was not sent down to "hone" his skills. He was sent down, so Drew can try to earn his $9.5M.

2) Bradley is our future CF'er.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I agree with the move, but I think the "leash" on drew shrunk this spring.  If iggy continues his hot start in pawtucket, and drew starts slow.....watch out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

1) Iggy was not sent down to "hone" his skills. He was sent down, so Drew can try to earn his $9.5M.

A better comment by me would be " he will play every day" . I still think young Bogaerts may be the man of our futureat ss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Tough break for the kid, as he's definitely shown he deserves to stay. Some posters will no doubt be in hysterics about this, but it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Drew was always going to play once he got back...I'm not saying that's fair, or that we aren't a better team with Iglesias, but it's the reality.

I can see this playing out in one of two ways:

-Drew stinks it up and/or is hurt again (which is what his detractors seem to expect anyway), and Iggy is back sooner rather than later.

-Drew is productive and we deal him in June to someone looking for a SS. Iggy then takes over.

Either way, we'll be seeing him again soon enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This puts added pressure on Drew; he has to perform especially hitting  and making all the plays he's capable of making, in addition to staying healthy. If those things don't happen I believe they will try their best to trade him if unable he will sit on the bench and Iggy will be recalled. The added pressure that if he doesn't perform the $9.5 he's getting this year won't be there next year from any suitor.

I for one, am hoping he starts off tonight by hitting and fielding like he's capable, and that the fans support his efforts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A better comment by me would be " he will play every day" . I still think young Bogaerts may be the man of our futureat ss.

Bogaerts will likely be moved to 3B, 1B or LF by next season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

I agree with the move, but I think the "leash" on drew shrunk this spring.  If iggy continues his hot start in pawtucket, and drew starts slow.....watch out.

The issue is that Iggy should not have to "continue his hot start" to continue being our FT SS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

+1

The issue is that Iggy should not have to "continue his hot start" to continue being our FT SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Drew better be ready to play. I still think this move, however unavoidable, is 2 weeks too early. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

A sad day for the 2013 Red Sox......  It will be interesting where the next 30 days takes us.........   As I have said before, the REd Sox pitchers got off to a great start (ERA) because there was a SS there that made the other team play with only 3 outs per inning..... The entire DEFENSE was pitcher friendly !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Indeed. In no world could Iggy "continue" to hit .450 anyway. We don't need him to hit .300; with what he provides with the glove, I'd be satisfied if he hit .220. The fact that he's made improvements and might be capable of being even better with the bat than we expected is just icing on the cake. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The reason why Iggy is sent down is because over the winter the Sox didnt believe he would be good enough to warrant a starting SS job, so they secured the services of one of the better SS in the game. The job already belonged Stephen Drew. Iggy was keeping the seat warm until he returned. Its very encouraging that Iggy did well when presented the opportunity, but he wasnt going to be the starter when Drew got back from his concussion. At least the Sox now see Iggy in a different light, which is a very good thing.

There really should be no surprise here. Iggy was informed that this day would come, so now he will continue his hard work at the plate and continue with his great D in AAA. His day will come soon enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The reason why Iggy is sent down is because over the winter the Sox didnt believe he would be good enough to warrant a starting SS job, so they secured the services of one of the better SS in the game. The job already belonged Stephen Drew. Iggy was keeping the seat warm until he returned. Its very encouraging that Iggy did well when presented the opportunity, but he wasnt going to be the starter when Drew got back from his concussion. At least the Sox now see Iggy in a different light, which is a very good thing.

There really should be no surprise here. Iggy was informed that this day would come, so now he will continue his hard work at the plate and continue with his great D in AAA. His day will come soon enough.

They don't see Iggy in a different light. Nobody should, unless you never realized how good he was defensively until seeing it for yourself (possibly 2-4 more plays made in 6 games than Drew might have made).

Nothing has changed in Iggy's game since last summer. 5 bunt and IF hits over 20 ABs should not make anyone's opinion change about Iggy's offense or total package.

Sox management values offense from the SS position more than defense. That hasn't changed either, or this thread would never have been started. Drew will have to fall flat on his face or get hurt for Iggy to become the FT SS again as long as we are still in the playoff hunt. It's the way it is, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Indeed. In no world could Iggy "continue" to hit .450 anyway. We don't need him to hit .300; with what he provides with the glove, I'd be satisfied if he hit .220. The fact that he's made improvements and might be capable of being even better with the bat than we expected is just icing on the cake. 

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Remember the marketing study the Sox did that advised them they needed more sexy players like Pedroia? I don't think they realize that Iggy is one of those sexy players, last September fans were tuning in just to watch him. As I said previously, he's worth the price of admission.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes Moon, they should see him in a different light. Last year he looked like a deer in the headlights at the plate and unsure of himself and overmatched. This year hes bigger, looks more confident, has a better approach and stands taller at the plate. Doesnt look overmathced...Are we looking at the same thing???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yes Moon, they should see him in a different light. Last year he looked like a deer in the headlights at the plate and unsure of himself and overmatched. This year hes bigger, looks more confident, has a better approach and stands taller at the plate. Doesnt look overmathced...Are we looking at the same thing???

BINGO  !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Expected , but still disappointing.  I think this is a mistake, but we have to deal with it. Iglesias has to deal with it too.  We will hear an uproar if Drew boots a couple tonight.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben makes another reverse midas touch move...everything he does turns to chit....just wait

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben makes another reverse midas touch move...everything he does turns to chit....just wait

Keep the hope alive,...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

100% correct on the decision

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I know, the Sox desperately needing another quality lefthanded bat has nothing to do with it...As far as Drew's defense goes, why don't you google some Bob Melvin quotes regarding Drew's defense.  Bob Melvin, you know the guy who actually managed him in Oakland & Arizona.  Saying the Sox are playing Drew simply because of money is ignorant and whiny, especially when you consider all of the players they paid to play elsewhere.