Iglesias Has Been Pasting the Ball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Iglesias Has Been Pasting the Ball

The kid has obviously put in some serious work over the winter.  Still struggling with pitch selection.  But much better than last year.  Don't know if he is picking up the ball better, or just getting more savvy with knowing what pitches he can drive.  But, when he makes contact, he has been crackin' the ball.  Great sign.  He is staying back on balls he was rolling over on last year.  Looks pretty comfortable and, dare I say, powerful.  He is getting in touch with his inner Slugging Shortstop.  haha.

I am much more optimistic about his offensive outlook than I was before camp.

Softy, does this make me a coward?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Iglesias Has Been Pasting the Ball

He's had a lot of hard outs this spring as well. If 8-10 of them went for hits, I wonder how many threads would be started on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

should be interesting to see just how much he has progressed in his next 300 ABs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He's had a lot of hard outs this spring as well. If 8-10 of them went for hits, I wonder how many threads would be started on him.

Yes Moon.  That is why I started this thread.  He has been consistently tattoing the ball, even when making outs.  his batting average is certainly no reflection of how locked in he has been, though his slugging % is a better indicator of this phenomenon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He should be our shortstop. Period.  The Drew signing was a mistake. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd be hypocritical if I got too excited because Iglesias is hitting decent this spring.  But ST stats aren't 100% useless, they are just to be taken with one huge hefty grain of salt.

Still the size he has put on is appearent in how the ball comes off his bat now.  Even last year, Iggy had no problem keeping up with a MLB fastball.  He has the bat speed, he can hit a heater but a.) he was so weak that a hard hit ball for him was a routine fly out last year, and b.) he was easily fooled by offspeed pitches.

The fact that the ball jumps off his bat better I think would automatically give him 10-12 more hits a year without any improvement at the plate, and I expect him to improve his approach.  I feel confident that Iggy could hit .250 this year which should be accaptable considering how good his defense is and how low expectations are.  And lets also keep in mind that he still may have some room left for growth with the bat as well. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

And of those threads, how many would be initiated by Bill?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It looks as if it could be now, but last year gave no indication that Iggy was going to hit. He looked very over matched last year. He has bulked up a little and looks a lot more comfortable up there. Unfortunately the Sox couldnt look into the future last year and see this happening, so they covered their azz. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It looks as if it could be now, but last year gave no indication that Iggy was going to hit. He looked very over matched last year. He has bulked up a little and looks a lot more comfortable up there. Unfortunately the Sox couldnt look into the future last year and see this happening, so they covered their azz. 

And Drew is only on a one year deal. So worst case would be Iggy goes back down to Pawtucket when Drew gets healthy and has a year to build his confidence at the plate. Best case would be they're both playing good and we spin Drew for another power arm for Pawtucket or Portland.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

And Drew is only on a one year deal. So worst case would be Iggy goes back down to Pawtucket when Drew gets healthy and has a year to build his confidence at the plate. Best case would be they're both playing good and we spin Drew for another power arm for Pawtucket or Portland.

I was just going to post something like this. My best-case scenario right now is that Iglesias keeps up his success at Pawtucket while Drew has a nice first half and gets us some value in a midseason trade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IGGy is another one that DAD & BILL-806 has been advocating for !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

IGGy is another one that DAD & BILL-806 has been advocating for !!!

Yes, we know Bill, we know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

+1000

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I was just going to post something like this. My best-case scenario right now is that Iglesias keeps up his success at Pawtucket while Drew has a nice first half and gets us some value in a midseason trade.

yea Ok...they are all going to be lining up to sign Drew and his TEN MILLION DOLLAR Salary because he is such a valuable player..

is it possible just to say that the Drew signing, like the Bailey trade, was a huge mistake?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

yea Ok...they are all going to be lining up to sign Drew and his TEN MILLION DOLLAR Salary because he is such a valuable player..

is it possible just to say that the Drew signing, like the Bailey trade, was a huge mistake?

Is it possible for you to ever say the Red Sox actually did something right? Other than hiring little Bobby V that is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

idk why you emphasised his salary... that's the easiest thing to sell. Eat the money, as long as we don't go over the luxury tax  who cares how much we spend? getting the other team to pick up his entire contract isn't going to lower ticket prices.. eating the money will also net us a better return if he does get traded. Iggy still has to show he can hit like this consistently in AAA.. once Drew is back of course.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'd have been fine with never signing Drew to begin with and letting Iggy start, but Drew is here now...I'd like to give him a couple of innings this season, and maybe even a game or two, before labelling him a "huge mistake." So far his only wrongdoing is getting hit in the head.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No, 142 million dollars is a huge mistake.  10 million dollars for one year was just a mistake. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

read my earlier post. That pretty much sums it up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Two BB and 9 k in 50 or so ab seems to indicate he need time at AAA   .Drew wiil be the starting SS all season.

Well....Drew may be on the D.L. to start the season so he can't be there "all season" 

Seeing how Drew is a horrible defensive SS the bar is pretty low for Iggy at a defense first position.  So if Drew is hitting .250 with .700 OPS next year then we mine as well plug Iggy in there.  At least he can get better offensively as the season goes on, in contrast to Drew who will be 30....I doubt there is any room for growth there, more likely regression. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Two BB and 9 k in 50 or so ab seems to indicate he need time at AAA   .Drew wiil be the starting SS all season.

Well....Drew may be on the D.L. to start the season so he can't be there "all season" 

Seeing how Drew is a horrible defensive SS the bar is pretty low for Iggy at a defense first position.  So if Drew is hitting .250 with .700 OPS next year then we mine as well plug Iggy in there.  At least he can get better offensively as the season goes on, in contrast to Drew who will be 30....I doubt there is any room for growth there, more likely regression. 

Drew is NOT a horrible defensive SS. Dont just look at the numbers and base your decision on defensive metrics. defensive metrics dont take into account all the variables. It says his range is poor, which I can agree with. What I have an issue with is people going by those numbers and coming to the conclusion that a player is a horrible defender without seeing his play live.

Drew is a smart player that positions himself correctly based on the batter, the pitch being thrown and the situation on the field at the time. He handles almost everything he gets to. Im not saying hes in the same league as Iggy, but hes far from as bad as some defensive metrics say he is.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Not to throw a damper on this thread, but BR tells us that the average quality of pitching Iggy has faced is just about AAA level. Still, its an improvement over what he has previously done vs AAA pitching. He has had about 20% of a reasonable number of ABs to make any kind of assessment of how much he has improved. Once he gets another 200 or so ABs at Pawtucket we will be able to make some conclusions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

You can't blame our FO for signing a few available FA's to stay above water while our kids develop.  If I were assessing the same situation from past history?  I wouldn't do much differently other than the choice of FA's we signed. 

Bradley may be ready a lot quiker than expected but our FO's expectations were for him to take over CF, if or when we lose Ells which isn't far fetched.  Because of Iggy's offensive numbers and lack of strength before ST he went into camp figuring to be our third choice for the starting SS position, maybe 4th, with Bogy in the picture.  Players need to earn positions by proving they can defend and get OB often enough to help our lineup, not be handed the position each year because they hit 25 Hrs or play decent defense.  Lineups "like ours" already have too many of these type of players which doesn't help our club improve.

The decisions on players like Salty and Iggy will probably be made after the 2013 season as to whether our FO feels they are long term assets as starters.  Bradley and Bogy have a lot more natural talent and probably won't have the same issues. 

With that said, It would be great if Iggy and Bogy could break our lineup at different positions along with Bradley.  Theres nothing like a good young crop of farm hands helping our lineup as we all remember.