I'm Fine if Cherington Takes Off for the Rest of the Offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm Fine if Cherington Takes Off for the Rest of the Offseason

There continues to be threads for moves the Sox should make, some big and some small, but as far as I'm concerned, Cherington should just call in an offseason. OK, fine if you want to stockpile a few more bullpen arms, but that's it.

There are too many who have the attitude of the grass is greener, which leads to threads for the Sox trading all their top prospects for someone else's players.

But there is no need to to pull off a blockbuster. Bradley and Bogaerts, who after what they've done, are just the sort of players we'd be demanding the Sox go get. When a small-market team has success, it's because they give those type of young players the chance.

The Sox haven't developed a power hitter in a while and have Will Middlebrooks who has showed he could be that RH power hitter. So now is not the time to give up on any of this young talent.

The Sox have six veteran starters and young starters nearly ready. But you can never have enough pitching.

The Nava/Gomes LF situation with Carp as the other OF/1B worked fine last year. If the Sox could find a LF with power, LF would be the one position I'd look for in a trade for one of the starters, but I wouldn't empty the farm system for that player either.

So as far as I'm concerned, the Sox should be set -- mostly set. I'm not against finding a utility IF to help out the left side of the infield to help take some of the pressure off and another OF who can help out in CF. (Although Nava to RF and Victorino to CF on occasion would be fine).

As far as the extra pitching, go to spring training with all six starters plus Workman and the others is fine. Let's see what develops in the spring. If an injury occurs, it gives the Sox more flexibility to make trades.

So Ben -- go take a vacation and we'll see you in February.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: I'm Fine if Cherington Takes Off for the Rest of the Offseason

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2h

Cherington just met with #RedSox writers. He indicated more talk about smaller deals than high-profile ones

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

2h

Cherington said he would meet with Boras to check in on Drew. Nothing has changed there.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2h

Cherington just met with #RedSox writers. He indicated more talk about smaller deals than high-profile ones

[/QUOTE]

That's all I'm looking for -- another BP arm or two, a UT infielder -- that's it.

No trade for Stanton.

No trading Middlebrooks.

No emptying the farm system on one player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think people are dreaming about trades because they are having baseball withdrawal and it is fun to dream up scenarios.  Most are highly unlikely, but they do spark the imagination.

I think the real moves to be made are also just small ones and I also think that this team is ready to go to war next year right now.  I would be very confident in the team if we started the season tomorrow. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Remember last year at this time, when everyone was fretting about the quiet little deals Cherrington made.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember last year at this time, when everyone was fretting about the quiet little deals Cherrington made.

[/QUOTE]

Mostly, Victorino. Where would we have been without him? Not in the World Series. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

I just dont think the sox have enough in their lineup.. team speed will be way down with the loss of Els...this team will be prodders for sure...additionally they do not have enough power in the lineup...unless Middy comes through and I dont really think he will... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really like the Nava/Gomes LF platoon. As long as Victorino stays healthy, Nava can stay in LF where he belongs and only vs RH'd starters.

I see our biggest potential issues/problems like this:

1) A back-up CF'er who hits LHPs well and is plus on defense. This not only keeps Victorino from having to play CF and Nava RF if something goes wrong, but it hedges our bets in case JBJ struggles overall or just against lefties.

2) A back-up SS who plays dazzling defense. This provides a late inning boost to our defense, but also protects us from the chance that Middy struggles. Bogey can move to 3B, and the new SS plays FT at least until we find an alternative.

These don't seem like major issues, and I get the point about being fine with the team as is, but I'd prefer to be proactive and at least explore some opportunities to strengthen our weakest links (not that Ben isn't doing just that).

As the team stands now, I don't see where Carp is going to get more PAs than 2013, unless there is an injury. Even if there is an injury, other capable players like Nava and Gomes can move from platoon to FT easy enough with not much, if any, of a drop off on O or D. I also understand the value of starting pitcher depth, but even if we trade Dempster or Peavy, I think we have better than average starter depth with Morales, Workman, Britton, Webster, Hinojosa, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, and maybe even Owens mid-season. I don't advocate trading these guys for nothing, but trading Dempster would free up enough salary space to give us a lot of flexibility going forward. I can see us waiting until July for the starter trade chance, but I'd be fine with the guys I just listed as out 6th starter pool.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2h

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

2h

Cherington said he would meet with Boras to check in on Drew. Nothing has changed there.

Yeah and Cherington is likely to announce ahead of time any major deal he is working on. GMs lie; all of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Sox don't need to add anything other than a b/u outfielder who can play all three OF spots. and maybe a guy who can fill in at SS/3B and not muck it up! Drew at this point in time is a luxury! As for Holt he did OK so maybe he's the guy who fills in when needed. Maybe Castellanos, I'd say Brentz if he was able to play CF, Maybe Alex Hassan as he can play all three OF positions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Holt is not a good defensive SS, but has shown he's OK at the plate at times over his career. I'd like to do better, but Bogey is young enough to give us 160 games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Finally.  A thread I can get behind.  I like what the Sox have now.  They have time to make adjustments, if needed, all the way up to JULY.  If Ben just adds a utility man to the left side, and a backup CF/bench guy, I really don't see what more needs to be done.  The are no neccesities.  If someone absolutely wows Ben for one of the spare starters or extra prospects, then sure, pull the trigger.  But as for now, Sox have the strength, and most important..... the time.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

There continues to be threads for moves the Sox should make, some big and some small, but as far as I'm concerned, Cherington should just call in an offseason. OK, fine if you want to stockpile a few more bullpen arms, but that's it.

There are too many who have the attitude of the grass is greener, which leads to threads for the Sox trading all their top prospects for someone else's players.

But there is no need to to pull off a blockbuster. Bradley and Bogaerts, who after what they've done, are just the sort of players we'd be demanding the Sox go get. When a small-market team has success, it's because they give those type of young players the chance.

The Sox haven't developed a power hitter in a while and have Will Middlebrooks who has showed he could be that RH power hitter. So now is not the time to give up on any of this young talent.

The Sox have six veteran starters and young starters nearly ready. But you can never have enough pitching.

The Nava/Gomes LF situation with Carp as the other OF/1B worked fine last year. If the Sox could find a LF with power, LF would be the one position I'd look for in a trade for one of the starters, but I wouldn't empty the farm system for that player either.

So as far as I'm concerned, the Sox should be set -- mostly set. I'm not against finding a utility IF to help out the left side of the infield to help take some of the pressure off and another OF who can help out in CF. (Although Nava to RF and Victorino to CF on occasion would be fine).

As far as the extra pitching, go to spring training with all six starters plus Workman and the others is fine. Let's see what develops in the spring. If an injury occurs, it gives the Sox more flexibility to make trades.

I heard Edes yesterday saying Drew may be out of the picture.  If this is true and you get your wish I doubt we do any better than possibly fighting for a wild card slot next season or not making the playoffs at all. 

#1 We no longer have a true leadoff hitter except Victorinio.  Shane will probably miss time again next season forcing Nava or another into the role.  None of these guys will replace the 194 runs Shane and Jacoby gave us last season.  In my opinion we will score less runs PERIOD.

#2 JBJ - Ditto, you can pray/hope or whatever you like but can't expect he will make up for the loss of Jacoby in his first season and will probably have his share of woes defensively until he fully settles in.

#3 Middy, he needs to mature or get traded.  Even if we get 30HR's he needs to increase his OBP and walk more next season.  If not, he will once again hurt the lineup.

#4 Bogy, the one rookie I don't mind starting since Pede and Ells.  My concern is SS where he is average at best.

#5 We lose solid depth without Drew or Jacoby

#6 We still need another solid RH bat to help with lefties.  Cuddyer, Lake and Davis were all possibilities but so far nothing has been done.

#7 If Papi, Pede or Victorino spend significant time on the DL?  No real depth offensively spells no PS in 2014.

Lastly, I know you can never really have enough pitching but we go a step further than deep in the majors and minors.  We also have a surplus of good prospects who play (like positions) and may never find a position in Boston.  If any team in baseball could pull off a real trade without killing our overall talent moving forward the Sox can.  Why suffer for the next year or two if these youngsters don't mature quickly?  Why is this FO so reluctant to pull off a (Wil Myers) type trade?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:

I heard Edes yesterday saying Drew may be out of the picture.  If this is true and you get your wish I doubt we do any better than possibly fighting for a wild card slot next season or not making the playoffs at all. 

#1 We no longer have a true leadoff hitter except Victorinio.  Shane will probably miss time again next season forcing Nava or another into the role.  None of these guys will replace the 194 runs Shane and Jacoby gave us last season.  In my opinion we will score less runs PERIOD.

#2 JBJ - Ditto, you can pray/hope or whatever you like but can't expect he will make up for the loss of Jacoby in his first season and will probably have his share of woes defensively until he fully settles in.

#3 Middy, he needs to mature or get traded.  Even if we get 30HR's he needs to increase his OBP and walk more next season.  If not, he will once again hurt the lineup.

#4 Bogy, the one rookie I don't mind starting since Pede and Ells.  My concern is SS where he is average at best.

#5 We lose solid depth without Drew or Jacoby

#6 We still need another solid RH bat to help with lefties.  Cuddyer, Lake and Davis were all possibilities but so far nothing has been done.

#7 If Papi, Pede or Victorino spend significant time on the DL?  No real depth offensively spells no PS in 2014.

Lastly, I know you can never really have enough pitching but we go a step further than deep in the majors and minors.  We also have a surplus of good prospects who play (like positions) and may never find a position in Boston.  If any team in baseball could pull off a real trade without killing our overall talent moving forward the Sox can.  Why suffer for the next year or two if these youngsters don't mature quickly?  Why is this FO so reluctant to pull off a (Wil Myers) type trade?

[/QUOTE]

The only real loss was CF. How have the Sox really lost that much depth? If they trade for a CFer in terms of depth it is the same.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I agree there is no rush to make any moves.....and also agree that our two needs are a RHH Centerfielder and a backup on he left side of the IF. The only other move I hope they make is to move Dempster. I do not see him as our best 6th starter and he has no role in the BP that Ben has put together so he is a wasted spot on the 25 man Roster......plus he makes a a good amount of $. If you can  move him for a Prospect and half of his Salary in relief that $6mm will be very useful to be able to make a need move in July.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Finally.  A thread I can get behind.  I like what the Sox have now.  They have time to make adjustments, if needed, all the way up to JULY.  If Ben just adds a utility man to the left side, and a backup CF/bench guy, I really don't see what more needs to be done.  The are no neccesities.  If someone absolutely wows Ben for one of the spare starters or extra prospects, then sure, pull the trigger.  But as for now, Sox have the strength, and most important..... the time.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree at all.  Els whether people want to admit it or not, is a HUGE loss to this lineup.  Name another player in all of MLB that reaks more havok on the basepaths, creating huge dilemmas for pitchers AND is as good a leadoff guy AND as good in CF.  Yes his arm is not good but he covers HUGE ground out there.  Remember when Vic (a GREAT fielder) filled in for him in center?  he did not get to a lot of balls that Ells could. He WILL be GREATLY missed.  Right now we are relying on a bunch of platoon guys, Vic who is good for about 130 games and a rookie that can't hit a curve or inside pitch to man the outfield.  We need something more reliable in a big way.  Who leads off??

As far as I'm concerned we need an outfielder with an above average bat. Papi is not getting younger and not too long ago Napps was dropped in the order because of his slumps at the plate.  I really hope Ben is kicking the tires on some help via trade.  We have a deep farm and are deep at starting pitching.  I'd package a starter and a top prospect like Renaudo and another higher prospect in a heartbeat to get somebody else to help our club.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I agree for the most part, but the Sox need to add a

1) A good defensive IF (McDonald or minor trade)

2) Another bullpen arm

3) A starter project (Mark Moulder?) - you can never have enough arms

But most importantly, they really should add a speedy, defensive reserve CF.  To bad Rajai Davis signed with the Tigers, as he would have been perfect.

These are the 2014 Sox outfielders:

Nava

Bradley, Jr.

Victorino

Gomes

Carp

Outside of Victorino, there is no speed and none of the other options are plus defenders.

Victorino is a very good player, but I think that his playing style is now taking a toll on his body.  He missed 40 games last season and 30 games in 2011.  He was rather durable in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012 (between 146-156 games every year), but I don't think that the Sox can expect those numbers in 2014.

There are no real options in the minors (Bryce Brentz? Alex Castellanos? Alex Hassan?) and the OF will look kind of meager with Gomes/JBJ/Nava and Carp if Victorino misses any significant time.

I don't think that Ben will go after the Choo/Kemp/Either types (nor would I want him to), but a solid, potential starter might be nice.  Maybe the Sox can flip Carp for a plus defensive CF with speed?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I want the following prior to X-Mas 2013:

King Felix

Stanton

Asdrubel

Kuroda

Kemp

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want the following prior to X-Mas 2013:

King Felix

Stanton

Asdrubel

Kuroda

Kemp

[/QUOTE]

You forgot Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Max Scherzer.... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

My biggest concern by far is CF:  JBJ is far from a sure thing in 2014, or ever really.   SS worries me slightly, particularly as we have no one that can play the position should Bogaerts not pan out (unlikely, IMO) or get injured.  And 3B is a concern too:  which Midds is going to show up?

This is the defending champions, not some small-market team....3 unproven youngsters in key positions......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava

Bradley, Jr.

Victorino

Gomes

Carp

Outside of Victorino, there is no speed and none of the other options are plus defenders.

I disagree, JBJ is one of the best fielders you will ever see. Day one. He may even get better over time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

My biggest concern by far is CF:  JBJ is far from a sure thing in 2014, or ever really.   SS worries me slightly, particularly as we have no one that can play the position should Bogaerts not pan out (unlikely, IMO) or get injured.  And 3B is a concern too:  which Midds is going to show up?

This is the defending champions, not some small-market team....3 unproven youngsters in key positions......

We lack depth at center and short, but a backup CF and SS are easy small moves that can be done before or during spring training if we don't see a trade this week.  This team is set right now and this depth chart is pretty impressive as it stands besides CF and SS.  The depth is by far most impressive with pitching and catching.

http://soxprospects.com/org.htm

SP

Lester

Clay

Lackey

Doubront

Peavy

Barnes, Webster, Ranaudo, Wright, Owens

Swing Men

Dempster  RP or SP?

Dalier Hinojosa?  Not sure if he was signed as a SP or RP

Workman; RP or SP

RP

Koji

Tazawa

Breslow

Badenhop

Mujica

Miller

Morales

RDLR

Britton

Wilson

Villarreal

C

AJP

Ross

Lava

Butler

Vasquez

Swihart

CF

JBJ

Victorino

Shannon Wilkerson

SS

XB

Holt

Heiker Meneses

Deven Marrero

I will say, looking at this depth chart that we trade somebody like Dan Butler for a backup OF or utility guy.  We lack depth most severely in center, followed by short and second.

Right field seems like it has no depth, but we have Nava, Hassan and Castallanos in case of emergency.  None are plus defenders however.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nava

Bradley, Jr.

Victorino

Gomes

Carp

I disagree, JBJ is one of the best fielders you will ever see. Day one. He may even get better over time.

[/QUOTE]

What?  Best fielders you will ever see?  That must be hyperbole on your part Moon.  I don't think so and he has very little speed.  Granted it is a small sample size, but he didn't really impress me in 2013 and the stats back up my claim:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=bradle000jac

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=12984&position=OF

I think that you are over-rating him as a fielder and he better hit in 2014, or the Sox will find someone else.  I would argue that they should have that guy on the roster at the beginning of 2014 and ready to go.

I may be wrong and we shall see.  I think that Ben will acquire someone before the Super Bowl who fills that role.