I'm Fine if Cherington Takes Off for the Rest of the Offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: I'm Fine if Cherington Takes Off for the Rest of the Offseason

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like I said, I have confidence in Middy for 2014. I do think he will do better than 2013 both at bat and in the field, but I am worried he may not, and don't think Holt or Snyder are good enough to take his place if he struggles or gets hurt. 

I have more faith in Bogey, but it wouldn't hurt to get a strong defensive back-up SS just in case he struggles or gets hurt. A back-up SS would cover both Middy and Bogey, and would even help if we had a big issue at 1B as Middy could cover 1B in a pinch.

Yes, Middy's OPS has improved pretty steadily through the minors, but he still has a lot to prove. I'm OK with 25Hr and a .320 OBP as long as he fields more like 2012 than 2013. I expect numbers something like that, but think we could use insurance on the left-side defense.

[/QUOTE]

I've been a big supporter of Middlebrooks, but I do admit that it's a cautious optimism. I just like his power potential because I really think he can be a 30-home run guy and a solid No. 5 hitter. If he could return to his 2012 form, the Sox could do something Ortiz-Naplie-Middlebrooks at 3-4-5. That could be some nice middle-of-the-order pop. Of course, Middlebrooks show that he deserves to move up.

The one thing  that helps is that he struggled when he first got to Triple A then was great the next go-around. He carried that momentum up to Boston. Then in his first go-round in Boston to start the season, he struggled, but when he came back, he showed a lot of improvement and now seems to have the right attitude.

So I'm hopeful.

Defensively, he needs to put it together. He was better fielding in 2012 than 2013 but his throwing was better in 2013.

I do agree. The Sox need the utility infielder -- someone who can play SS and 3B and at least hold his own. I'd like for him to play both, because if Middlebrooks needs a day off, I'd rather keep Bogaerts at SS instead of switching him back and forth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The one thing  that helps is that he struggled when he first got to Triple A then was great the next go-around. He carried that momentum up to Boston. Then in his first go-round in Boston to start the season, he struggled, but when he came back, he showed a lot of improvement and now seems to have the right attitude.

Then, why was he benched for a guy playing out of position in the playoffs (Bogey)?

Losing your job 2 times in one season is reason enough to be a little less than cautiously optimistic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do agree. The Sox need the utility infielder -- someone who can play SS and 3B and at least hold his own. I'd like for him to play both, because if Middlebrooks needs a day off, I'd rather keep Bogaerts at SS instead of switching him back and forth.

I'd rather have someone who can play great defensive SS than a SS/3Bman type guy. We could use him to spell Bogey late in close games, so he gets rest incrementally, and if Middy struggles, we can move Bogey to 3B and play the defensive whiz at SS and maybe not miss a beat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Then, why was he benched for a guy playing out of position in the playoffs (Bogey)?

Losing your job 2 times in one season is reason enough to be a little less than cautiously optimistic.

C'mon moon. He was very good the last two months of the season. So to phrase it "losing your job two times" is in my opinion is way overblown. It's not like he had a bad month. He basically had bad week. Remember, he did enough to stay in the lineup against Tampa Bay -- .231 with a .375 OBP and a key RBI as I recall. Then he went 0-for-2 then 1-for-3 with the key double ainst Detroit. So up to that point, while he wasn't lighting it up, he wasn't killing you either.

Then he had a bad four games -- FOUR GAMES -- after that. He was in a slump -- it happens. (Ortiz in the ALCS except for the grand slam, Drew throughout the playoffs). The playoffs aren't exactly a time to let a player work their way out of a slump if you don't have to. I

Middlebrooks wasn't a key veteran like Ortiz or Napoli and didn't bring the stellar defense at a key position like Drew or intangibles. He still was a player who could be replaced in the playoffs if there was another option, and fortunately for Boston and unfortunatley for him, the Sox had a decent option.

Bogaerts did the job when give the chance so you ride the hot hand because it's the playoffs.

It's not unreasonable to seperate the playoffs from the regular season.

But I'm not ignoring it either. That's why I said I'm cautiosly optimistic. He was very good the last two months but yes, he wasn't great in the postseason. But baseball is filled with stars who have great years then tank in the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

C'mon moon. He was very good the last two months of the season. So to phrase it "losing your job two times" is in my opinion is way overblown. It's not like he had a bad month. He basically had bad week. Remember, he did enough to stay in the lineup against Tampa Bay -- .231 with a .375 OBP and a key RBI as I recall. Then he went 0-for-2 then 1-for-3 with the key double ainst Detroit. So up to that point, while he wasn't lighting it up, he wasn't killing you either.

Then he had a bad four games -- FOUR GAMES -- after that. He was in a slump -- it happens. (Ortiz in the ALCS except for the grand slam, Drew throughout the playoffs). The playoffs aren't exactly a time to let a player work their way out of a slump if you don't have to. I

Middlebrooks wasn't a key veteran like Ortiz or Napoli and didn't bring the stellar defense at a key position like Drew or intangibles. He still was a player who could be replaced in the playoffs if there was another option, and fortunately for Boston and unfortunatley for him, the Sox had a decent option.

Bogaerts did the job when give the chance so you ride the hot hand because it's the playoffs.

It's not unreasonable to seperate the playoffs from the regular season.

But I'm not ignoring it either. That's why I said I'm cautiosly optimistic. He was very good the last two months but yes, he wasn't great in the postseason. But baseball is filled with stars who have great years then tank in the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Bogey had hardly played 3B at all, yet he was forced to play there out of management's reluctance to play Middy.

If Middy had truly played great to end the 2013 season, he'd have been the starter through the playoffs. He was not. He did not.

Middy's .231 BA in the Rays series was about middle of the pack, yet he was the one benched not others. He had a .375 OBP vs the Rays.

Look, I'm not arguing about being cautiously optimistic. I am confident that Middy will have a decent year. I'm just hoping wwe have a capable back-up, just in case.

I have more confidence in Bogey and maybe about the same for JBJ's 2014 as Middy's 2014. Out of the 3, one will probably struggle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

It looks like he already has lol. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

Like I said, I have confidence in Middy for 2014. I do think he will do better than 2013 both at bat and in the field, but I am worried he may not, and don't think Holt or Snyder are good enough to take his place if he struggles or gets hurt. 

I have more faith in Bogey, but it wouldn't hurt to get a strong defensive back-up SS just in case he struggles or gets hurt. A back-up SS would cover both Middy and Bogey, and would even help if we had a big issue at 1B as Middy could cover 1B in a pinch.

Yes, Middy's OPS has improved pretty steadily through the minors, but he still has a lot to prove. I'm OK with 25Hr and a .320 OBP as long as he fields more like 2012 than 2013. I expect numbers something like that, but think we could use insurance on the left-side defense.

I've been a big supporter of Middlebrooks, but I do admit that it's a cautious optimism. I just like his power potential because I really think he can be a 30-home run guy and a solid No. 5 hitter. If he could return to his 2012 form, the Sox could do something Ortiz-Naplie-Middlebrooks at 3-4-5. That could be some nice middle-of-the-order pop. Of course, Middlebrooks show that he deserves to move up.

So I'm hopeful.

Defensively, he needs to put it together. He was better fielding in 2012 than 2013 but his throwing was better in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Wish granted... now we need to get a guy who can backup center field in the case of an injury or underperformance from Vic or JBJ.  I think a nice depth move would work by at least beefing up the minors with some moves that can free up a little space on the 40 man.  I can see the Sox continuing with the strategy of making moves by trading away lower end prospects to bring in replacement levels players for depth. 

That said, the hot stove will cool off significantly from here on out.  This team is ready as is to start the season and I like the job BC did to avoid giving away pieces that could be part of our future for present needs.  He also netted us a draft pick with Ells and hopefully one with Drew.  I would be surprised to see any more major moves before spring training.  It's about to get much more boring here and my production at work is set to go up...lol.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. The roster is probably all set right now. There is still a chance some desperate GM will make an offer Ben cannot refuse for one of our "extra" starting pitchers, but what we see is basically what we will get.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree. The roster is probably all set right now. There is still a chance some desperate GM will make an offer Ben cannot refuse for one of our "extra" starting pitchers, but what we see is basically what we will get.

[/QUOTE]

I'm still wary that the Sox might re-sign Drew. I'll breathe easier when Drew finally signs elsewhere.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I agree... I think the Sox will be very happy to move into spring training with the current depth at starting pitching and in the bullpen.  I think they will first see what the health of their own rotation looks like, especially Clay and then possibly consider a move.  That is the smart and conservative move and it allows the market to create itself. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm still wary that the Sox might re-sign Drew. I'll breathe easier when Drew finally signs elsewhere.

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same.