Interleague Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Interleague Games

Now that Houston is in the AL, we will have an interleague game played everyday of the season somewhere. I haven't looked at the schedule, but does that increase the number of interleague games for us over previous years and if so, by how much?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Interleague Games

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that Houston is in the AL, we will have an interleague game played everyday of the season somewhere. I haven't looked at the schedule, but does that increase the number of interleague games for us over previous years and if so, by how much?

[/QUOTE]

a couple more games for some teams

why not stand behind / expand

on your remark 2 me in this thread

SERIOUSLY... Is BERNIE WILLIAMS a HALL of FAMER?

[/QUOTE]

Well,  was wondering about Papi full time at 1B and figured since he will play 1B during interleague anyway, and if we play more games, why not?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From Yahoo! Sports: "Each team will now play the same breakdown of games as everyone else: 76 contests against division rivals, 66 against non-division league teams and 20 interleague games."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mlb-releases-2013-schedule-now-interleague-play-every-181731946--mlb.html

The Red Sox played 18 interleague games last season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

a couple more games for some teams

why not stand behind / expand

on your remark 2 me in this thread

SERIOUSLY... Is BERNIE WILLIAMS a HALL of FAMER?

[/QUOTE]

Well,  was wondering about Papi full time at 1B and figured since he will play 1B during interleague anyway, and if we play more games, why not?

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz has a decent glove, but zero range.

I don't mind seeing him out there for interleague games, but not full time.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I keep asking myself, why Houston?

Because we already have an NL team in Milwaukee that was originally an AL team.

Houston is maybe a little closer to the west coast than Milwaukee, I suppose....but not close enough for it to matter much.

Kind of like the Indianapolis Colts are in the AFC South and St. Louis is the NFC West.

I would ditch the East, West, Central names and stop trying to make a division sound regional when it isn't possible to do it.

The NHL in the 80s ( when it was great) , used names like Adams Division, etc. because they had too many teams up north to have a "west" or a "south", I guess expansion was good for something, now you can have a "south."

Why not just put all the awful teams in one division?...create some rivalries besides the Red Sox/Yankees, San Fran/ L.A. ....If  the Royals got to play the Brewers they might get a few more wins...instead they continue to get pasted by the Tigers. The AL Central is set up so that too many teams really never have a chance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Why not just put all the awful teams in one division?...create some rivalries besides the Red Sox/Yankees, San Fran/ L.A. ....If  the Royals got to play the Brewers they might get a few more wins...instead they continue to get pasted by the Tigers. The AL Central is set up so that too many teams really never have a chance.

Four of the five American League Central teams have won a divisional title in the past six years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should blow it all up and start over:

5 - 6 team divisions (Move TB to NC)

East: BOS, NYY, NYM, PHI, BAL, WASH

MidEast: Tor, Det, Cle, Cin, Pitt, NC

Central: MN, Mil, CWS, CC, StL, KC

South: Mia, ATL, TX, HOU, AZ, COL (tough time zones)

West: Sea, Oak, SF, LAD, LAA, SD

Play 4 games vs other div team (2H/2A) and 16 vs own div (8H/8A) plus 1 game vs your 2 most equal record teams from the previous season = 162.

Playoffs: 6 div winners and 4 wild card teams. Wild card teams play a 1 gamer to make the next round as teams are seeded by record.

Or...

6- 5 team divisions:

East: Tor, Bos, NYY, NYM, Phi

South: Bal, Wsh, NC, Atl, Mia

MidEast: Det, Cle, Cin, Pitt, MN

Central: Mil, CWS, CC, StL, KC

SoWest: TX, Hou, Col, AZ, SD

West: Sea, Oak, SF, LAD, LAA

Play 3 games vs 10 teams (rotate H & A) and 4 games (2H & 2A) vs 15 teams out of division. Rotate div play each year  with 3 or 4 games. Play 18 games (9H & 9A) vs own div= 162 games.

Playoffs: 5 div winners and 5 wild cards (top wild card gets a first round bye). 4 worst wild cards play for last 2 slots. Seed by record.

Regional rivalries would replace some traditional ones in no time.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Four of the five American League Central teams have won a divisional title in the past six years.

[/QUOTE]

But , not the Royals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no one wants to move to the west

I think it had 2do with mlb being able to coax  muscle it onto a

someone trying to buy a team

BTW

not me, but some might argue milwaukee

has always been an NL town or at least was originally

[/QUOTE]

I live in Sugar Land, TX now. They hate the idea of playing west coast games late at night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I live in Sugar Land, TX now. They hate the idea of playing west coast games late at night.

I don't think the Mariners are crazy about having two divisional foes two time zones away in venues that are closer to Boston than they are to Seattle. ;-)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

exactly moon

even though the rangers got a great tv deal a couple of yrs back

most feel the time zone/ late road gms is a detriment to the tv ratings

[/QUOTE]

That's one reason I think we should merge the AL and NL and make more geographical divisions to build new rivalries nearby. More people would travel to road games (NYY-NYM, Bal-Wash, Cle-Cin, CWS-CC, CWS-Mil, KC-STL, Hou-TX, SD-LAA, LAA-LAD, Oak-SF, etc...)

Then, The TV rating would increase as well, and time zone similarities would help as well in that area.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

exactly moon

[/QUOTE]

That's one reason I think we should merge the AL and NL and make more geographical divisions to build new rivalries nearby. More people would travel to road games (NYY-NYM, Bal-Wash, Cle-Cin, CWS-CC, CWS-Mil, KC-STL, Hou-TX, SD-LAA, LAA-LAD, Oak-SF, etc...)

Then, The TV rating would increase as well, and time zone similarities would help as well in that area.

[/QUOTE]

And you would have to think that tix sales would increase for some teams that will welcome teams they never play on a regular basis. Well, at least until the "new car" feel wears off...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

exactly moon

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And you would have to think that tix sales would increase for some teams that will welcome teams they never play on a regular basis. Well, at least until the "new car" feel wears off...

[/QUOTE]

Some team would be virtually guaranteed sell out, something some teams rarely get, when they play cross town or very close city teams. A good example will be to watch how many tickets Houston sells when the Rangers come to town, and Dallas is a good 2-3 hours away from Houston.

It would also cut down on travel time and cost. If the league got good at scheduling, they could make road trips by region (divisions), for example, the whole  East would travel to the West and play 2 game series vs all 5 teams rotating through the division. Although 2 game series cause more travel, the distances would be just a few miles in some cases. Go to LA and play 2 vs the Angels, then 2 vs the Dodgers, then fly to SF and play 2 vs SF and 2 vs Oakland, then fly to Seattle for 2 and head home.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't mind interleague .... I don't like the World Baseball Class  ... has cost players injuries trying to play before getting in shape

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

Houston is maybe a little closer to the west coast than Milwaukee, I suppose....but not close enough for it to matter much.

Kind of like the Indianapolis Colts are in the AFC South and St. Louis is the NFC West.

I would ditch the East, West, Central names and stop trying to make a division sound regional when it isn't possible to do it.

The NHL in the 80s ( when it was great) , used names like Adams Division, etc. because they had too many teams up north to have a "west" or a "south", I guess expansion was good for something, now you can have a "south."

[/QUOTE]

Because Bud still has a stake in the Brewers I believe, and I think he was the one to push for them to go to the NL in the first place.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

I don't mind interleague .... I don't like the World Baseball Class  ... has cost players injuries trying to play before getting in shape

[/QUOTE]

the WBC helps our game grow world wide

players get hurt at spring training all the time

why not blame the player for not being in shape

[/QUOTE]

:o)   Our game is doin' purty good in a lot of places ...

I didn't excuse the players ...  as a matter of fact, I think the injuries are related to them not being in shape.

OTOH, there is winter baseball in several countries, developmental baseball close to all year round ... so I am probably just speaking from an emotional outlook.

What fan would do that?  Heh 

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.