International signings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

International signings

The Red Sox have found some Gems in the international market over the years.  From guys like Hanley Rameriz to Daisuke Matsuzaka the international market is full of booms and busts.  A few guys on the current team have also come from the sox crop of international signings: Jose Iglesias, Tazawz, and Doubront.  Also top prospect Xander Bogaerts was an international signing as well along with other top prospects.

Tomorrow marks the begining of the 2013-2014 signing period and it is assumed that many names will sign within a 24 hour span tomorrow.

Here is a list of some of the top guys:  http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/july-2-international-top-30-prospects-list/

One name that has been linked to the Red Sox is 3B Raphael Devers out of the dominican Republic who is arguably the most talented offensive player in the market at 16.  There are rumors that the Sox have a deal in place for 1+ million that will be announced tomorrow.  For all of us prospect loving people tomorrow will be an exciting day. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: International signings

They also likes the Gonzalez kid. Pitcher I think. But the Dodgers were said to be going "all in" for him.

Devers should be a good one. at 16yrs old they have a good raw outline.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They also likes the Gonzalez kid. Pitcher I think. But the Dodgers were said to be going "all in" for him.

Devers should be a good one. at 16yrs old they have a good raw outline.

I know the Red Sox were also interested in him and scouted him heavily.  I read somewhere that he had a workout or a game or something like that in which Ben Charrington was the the only G.M. to show up.  But I wouldn't be surprised if L.A. jumps in and buys him out of the market.   Everything I read about Devers seems very intriguing although we may not hear from this kid again until 6-7 years from now.  Then again who knows if he ends up being the elite talent they hope he is we may be hearing his name around town in 4 years from now. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aren't there new rules about how much a team can spend on Int'l players?

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Heres something i found on mlb.com ojn the subject...

the allotments are based on each team's record in 2012, with the pools ranging from just under $4.95 million for the Astros, who had the Majors' lowest winning percentage, to just under $1.85 million for the Nationals, who had the highest winning percentage.

Additionally, clubs are allowed to trade pool money. Clubs can sign up to six players for bonuses of $50,000 or less, and those do not count against the allotment. All bonuses of $10,000 or less are also exempt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

Yes but it's not that strict.  If you go over your pool I believe the number of contracts you are allowed to sign is to be limited the following year.  It's been speculated that a few teams may feel inclined to just go all out and sign as many guys as they can this year before they have a draft and just pay the price for a year or two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks. Sounds like it might be worthy plan.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

soxprospects rated Trey Ball #8 (ahead of Owens and Swihart).

They rated Jon Denny #16 (ahead of Brian Johnson and C Vazquez).

Later picks like Corey Littrell are rated #52, Jordan Austin #57, and Jake Drehoff #55, but I don't see Stankiewicz (our 2nd rd pick) rated at all. 

Anyone know why not?

What ended up happening to Ryan Boldt?

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

My prospect list of players signed Internationally.

1-Xander Bogaerts 20.7
    0-Jose Iglesias 23.4
    16-Michael Almanzar 22.5
    18-Keury De La Cruz 21.6
    19-Frank Montas 20.2
    20-Tzu-Wei Lin 19.3
    21-Manuel Margot 18.8
    30-Jose Vinicio 19.10
    35-Heiker Menses 21.10
    37-Sergio Gomez 19.9
    41-Luis Diaz 21.2
    43-Alixon Suarez 18.10
    44-Raimel Flores 18.8
    47-Wendell Rijo 17.8
    48-Jose Almonte 17.8
    50-Dioscar Romero 18.1
    51-Daniel McGrath 18.8
    55-Luis Alex Basabe 16.9
    56-Simon Mercedes 21.3
    58-Miguel Celestino 23.7
    61-Mario Alcantara 20.5
    63-Victor Acosta 16.11
    64-William Cuevas 22.7
    65-Luis Alej Basabe 16.9
    71-Keivin Heras 18.8
    75-Cleuluis Rondon 19.1
    80-Aneury Tavarez 21.1

Very few disapointments on that list compared to signing bonus.

I think we have been doing extremely well in this area the last few years. Much better then last years draft. Although I think this years draft is good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

My prospect list of players signed Internationally.

1-Xander Bogaerts 20.7
    0-Jose Iglesias 23.4
    16-Michael Almanzar 22.5
    18-Keury De La Cruz 21.6
    19-Frank Montas 20.2
    20-Tzu-Wei Lin 19.3
    21-Manuel Margot 18.8
    30-Jose Vinicio 19.10
    35-Heiker Menses 21.10
    37-Sergio Gomez 19.9
    41-Luis Diaz 21.2
    43-Alixon Suarez 18.10
    44-Raimel Flores 18.8
    47-Wendell Rijo 17.8
    48-Jose Almonte 17.8
    50-Dioscar Romero 18.1
    51-Daniel McGrath 18.8
    55-Luis Alex Basabe 16.9
    56-Simon Mercedes 21.3
    58-Miguel Celestino 23.7
    61-Mario Alcantara 20.5
    63-Victor Acosta 16.11
    64-William Cuevas 22.7
    65-Luis Alej Basabe 16.9
    71-Keivin Heras 18.8
    75-Cleuluis Rondon 19.1
    80-Aneury Tavarez 21.1

Very few disapointments on that list compared to signing bonus.

I think we have been doing extremely well in this area the last few years. Much better then last years draft. Although I think this years draft is good.

Was Adalberto Ibarra an Int'l signing?

He's not top 80 on your list?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Stank signing isn't official yet, or at least it wasn't the last time Soxprospects updated their rankings; he will likely be on this Friday when they come out with their weekly updates.

Boldt is a long shot.  He want 2.5 and the Sox have about 1 million to spend.  They are likely waiting to see if they can throw that million at him to start his pro career but if he doesn't take it within a week then a suspect they split the rest between Longhi, Sheffield and maybe several other guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox released Ibarra, I'm not sure why.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Was Adalberto Ibarra an Int'l signing?

He's not top 80 on your list?

He is a bust and out of the organization. Linares and Oscar Perez aswell, although they have moved Perez to pitching so who knows. And Jorge Padron and Juan Ugas got solid money and are busts. Add them to I guess Vinicio and thats about the extent of disapointments the last 5 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I wouldn't give up on Vinicio just yet.  He's very young and all bones and already plays great defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I wouldn't give up on Vinicio just yet.  He's very young and all bones and already plays great defense.

I haven't either. Thats why I still rank him 30th. I agree with what you said. However, he has been disappointing in comparison to his 2 million dollar bonus.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

I haven't either. Thats why I still rank him 30th. I agree with what you said. However, he has been disappointing in comparison to his 2 million dollar bonus.

[/QUOTE]

• I agree.  I think if he adds a little bit of weight he has a very good chance of reaching the majors as a utility man who can play multiple positions and pinch run as well.  Possibly more than that too,  who knows.  I know that's not what most fans want to hear and we would love to think that every prospwill who is good enough to reach the majors will be Dustin Pedrioa but I think here is real value in what he may become.  If not our system is so deep guys like him are a dime a dozen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Thought I read on SP there was an out fielder they were looking at too

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Yes but it's not that strict.  If you go over your pool I believe the number of contracts you are allowed to sign is to be limited the following year.  It's been speculated that a few teams may feel inclined to just go all out and sign as many guys as they can this year before they have a draft and just pay the price for a year or two.

[/QUOTE]
     www.baseballamerica.com/intern...al-bonus-slots/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great info guys. You know your stuff.

For some reason, I always thought Linares would make it.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

looks like the Rockies strike first!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/international-prospect-signings-erick-julio.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/red-sox-sign-rafael-devers.html

There it is!!! looks like the rumors were true. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/07/report-red-sox-sign-dominican-third.html

Here's a more detailed look at Devers.

What I find different is his profile seems a bit different than the guys the Sox often take chances on.  I'm not saying the Sox don't go after big bats, they do all the time but it seems like they are more inclined at taking guys who have elite defensive skills and hope they can develop their bat (Jose iglesias).  Devers is a guy who might end up being the most elite offensive player in this years internationl market with hopes of honing in his defensive skills. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

According to Mlb.com, the sox are signing 3B Rafael Devers for 1.5M and LHP Emmanuel Dejesus for 780K.  Though I haven't seen that the deals have been completed yet.  That's pretty fast of the bat there.