Is a thirty year old pitcher who's had five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns) a "good gamble" for the Red Sox?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Is a thirty year old pitcher who's had five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns) a "good gamble" for the...

Nick Cafardo is a complete moron, enough said.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Is a thirty year old pitcher who's had five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns) a "good gamble" for the...

Yeah. it'd be a shame if Kuo ruied the season for Pawtucket.

Kuo was a solid reliever for the Dodgers.  If he fails in AAA, simply cut him loose.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

kuo is a much better gamble than guys like padilla, maine, germano etc. and considering that the only lefty reliever we have is franklin morales, i think he would be worth the risk. Also mike gonzalez is still out there, i would definetly bring him on board. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Kuo suffered through anxiety problems in LA last year, in addition to his injuries.  There are 3 west coast teams interested in him.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking to stay out west.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Is a thirty year old pitcher who's had five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns) a "good gamble" for the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]Nick Cafardo is a complete moron, enough said.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, Cafardo is one of the better writers in town, what is the basis for calling him a moron...other than you just don't like the media?

Personally I think this post was uncalled for. It's not like he's controversial like Shaughnessey oftentimes is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Actually, Cafardo never suggested the Red Sox should gamble on him.  I read the piece this morning and inferred no particular intent to say the Red Sox should take a gamble on him.  Nick only says he would be a good gamble, and then goes on to say that three West Coast teams are kicking the tires on him.  I took that to mean that for those three teams, Kuo might be worth gambling on.  Here is the actual quote:

Yes, he has had physical and anxiety issues, but Hong-Chih Kuo seems like a good gamble. Right now, three West Coast teams are kicking the tires on him. The former Dodgers lefty once had electric stuff, even with five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns).

I don't see how that makes Cafardo a "moron."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Kuo is probably a good gamble and he will get an invite with some team and the Sox would be wise too inquire about his availibility,as for calling Cafardo an idiot that was uncalled for! If you don't like his column don't read it. The only lefties the Sox have are Lester and Morales.The only other guys are Hill and Carlson and both of them are coming off injuries...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Is a thirty year old pitcher who's had five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns) a "good gamble" for the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]The only lefties the Sox have are Lester and Morales.The only other guys are Hill and Carlson and both of them are coming off injuries...
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

And Doubront and Miller.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is a thirty year old pitcher who's had five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns) a "good gamble" for the Red Sox? : In my opinion, Cafardo is one of the better writers in town, what is the basis for calling him a moron...other than you just don't like the media? Personally I think this post was uncalled for. It's not like he's controversial like Shaughnessey oftentimes is.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Agree, Nick is a solid reporter. Calling him a moron is a bit too strong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yes, he has had physical and anxiety issues, but Hong-Chih Kuo seems like a good gamble. 

I guess the issue I have with this is, what is he basing his opinion on?  If you look at Cody Ross, you opine, based his stats, his splits, his fielding, etc., that he is a good fit.  What does the writer know about his anxiety issues that lead him to beleive that he seems like a good gamble?

It would be like me saying Dice is a good second half gamble, when I have no idea of when he'll come back, and how many starts before he's effective.  I'm pretty sure that Cadarfo is completely singing it here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Look, if I am watching a Sox game on the tube or invested gobs of cash in attended a game and the sox got somebody who can get somebody on the other team out they are worth. I paid the price to be there.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brown615. Show Brown615's posts

"a good gamble" maybe should be "a cheap gamble".  Regardless, it does not hurt the Sox.  The Sox would not be paying Kuo much, and like Maine, Silva, Padilla, Germano, etc there is always a chance they do contribute sometime during the year.  The old call-up for a week to rest some pitchers can even be an important contribution sometimes.  At any rate, what's the fuss; this is all minor stuff?

As for Nick Cafardo, I think he sticks to the facts pretty well and provides realistic and thoughtful opinions.  I can't really compare him to Mr. Shau-negativity, because Dan has never said or written anything thoughtful or positive about the Sox (or any subject) in his career.

21 days until Spring Training!

Soxalot615, Let's play 2!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Look, if I am watching a Sox game on the tube or invested gobs of cash in attended a game and the sox got somebody who can get somebody on the other team out they are worth. I paid the price to be there.  
    Posted by proftom2[/QUOTE]

But that's not really the point.  You only have 25 guys on the team.  You only have ~ $178M to spend.  Anyone can get someone out.  What you paid has little to do with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Is a thirty year old pitcher who's had five elbow surgeries (including two Tommy Johns) a "good gamble" for the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]In his Sunday baseball notes, Globe sportswriter Nick Cafardo says Hong-Chih Kuo - who also has anxiety issues - would be a good risk for the Red Sox to take. What do you think?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

scary....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]kuo is a much better gamble than guys like padilla, maine, germano etc. and considering that the only lefty reliever we have is franklin morales, i think he would be worth the risk. Also mike gonzalez is still out there, i would definetly bring him on board. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Doubront is a lefty.
    Bailey gets LHB's out very well (BA.182 / OPS .565)
    Aceves gets LHB's out (BA.207) much better than RHB's (.592 to .660)
    Bard gets lefties out very well (.196 BA / .613 OPS)
    Melancon does not do poorly vs LHB's (BA .235 / OPS .682)

I heard the same thing last year, and yet our staff did better vs LHBs than RHBs: .692 to .731. 
    Breaking 2011 down by LHPs and RHPs vs LHBs:
    RHPs: BA .241/ OBP .313/ SLG .381
    LHPs: BA .252/ OBP .328/ SLG .359

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Oh yeah he will fit in great with this MASH assemby of other teams throwaways that Young Ben has assembled. The guy with anxiety issues, that should be no problem with pitching in Yankee Stadium or in Tampa Bay. those teams do not cause any anxiety at all. Rediculous to even consider, forget all this injured talent. Young Ben should have saved the money and spent it on one guy who could actually pitch and is a lot more dependable than all these question marks he has picked up.