Is anyone happier than me today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Is anyone happier than me today?

In Response to Re: Is anyone happier than me today?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone happier than me today? : Don't have "down the stretch" numbers, but post all-star Gonzalez had a .317 BAve and .404 OBP with 10 HRs and 16 doubles for an .983 OPS.  Crawford hit .267, with an OBP of .303 with 10 steals and 5 HRs, easily his better half of the season.  Meanwhile, as I mentioned, Beckett faded significantly in September as I recall, and his ineffectiveness continued into this year (as I predicted, since being an even year it is his year to stink).  Getting rid of Beckett is the only good thing about this trade, IMO.  But I'd rather Ben had just stuck LA with Beckett and his contract and pulled Adrain and Crawford back from waivers and waited until the off-season to look for more return (and see whether Ellsbury can be signed--remember, part of Crawford's value was that he provided insurance if Ells proved to be fragile (he did) and/or unsignable).
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

well then you need to look it up...and not just "Post AS's #'s - look at September #'s............then get back to me.......all 3 crashed and burned and had to be considered problematic for the long term health of the team

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I love my Red Sox, but how can you trade Adrian Gonzalez? How can you give up on Carl Crawford? I cannot believe we traded those two guys away just to dump a crap starter, and not even the worst one on the team! (Lackey). So now, we lost Carl Crawford (one of the hardest workers on the team, and a team leader), and a Gold Glove, All Star, MVP first baseman in A-Gon, and we couldn't even get rid of the biggest problem on this team.

WOW.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

One thing is for sure...Had the Sox never won in 2004 or 2007, no one would be happy about what happened today. But because we have those 2 WS to live off of (probably for life now), fans have lost their way. They got swept up in the money and swept up by the off-field stuff and it's clouded the judgment of some fans who at one time I thought were quite smart, only to find they are simply buying the Sox PR Spin Machine. I hope the Sox win 10 of the next 12 with the current lot, but don't expect much next few seasons. The Sox have removed Youkilis, AGON and CC from a lineup that was already shaky.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

With Ortiz not being hurt, this trade might not have happened. We were waiting for CC to return & then have a lineup of Ells, Pedey, CC, Agon & Ortiz when we were just about at the .500 level. If they had all clicked and we starting winning 2 out of 3 we might have kept the status quo.  But before Ortiz could return we'd lose 2 or 3 and then win 1 and then we needed gamble that all those guys would click.

Our pitching was mediocre and yes Agon was our best hitter and CC started to pick it up but there seemed to be some games we could have won but those 2 couldn't come up with clutch hits, as most of the other players couldn't either. The last time there was some bang up clutch hitting was a long time ago when Cody Ross vs. White Sox hit 3 run homers in 2 games & then a one run HR in the 3rd & we won 3 in a row from the White Sox and then Ortiz gets hurt & we don't even play .500 ball. Again, with Agon & CC we still were not going to even get a wild card sport.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone happier than me today? : Dumping 100d's of millions of dollars, in itself, was worth the transaction. With the 'power numbers'(tongue in cheek) lost with Gonzalez, Beckett's decline, and Crawford's admitted dislike for play in large market teams, we definitely added by subtraction.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]
    Agree. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

I am ecstatic; this is the best salary dump in the history of sports! Especially losing Crawford's money, which I thought was the most onerous contract ever. Now dump Bobby V. and bring in a younger, level-headed manager who can help us build a BASEBALL TEAM, something we have not had for a couple years now!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

wow, Agon just homered as I was about to type

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Yes, I am; I also want to officially nominate Ben as the GM of the year. This was a magniicent piece of negotiation and foresight.

Watching them from batter no. 1 tonight, and it is a different team altogether. If I didn't know better, I would think I was watching the Rays

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

now my post. 

parhunter, the Dodgers would not have claimed Beckett if there was not a deal in the works.  From what I have read and heard, the deal was in the works since Monday.  This would also explain why Valentine got so upset about not saying who the starting pitchers were going to be in the Royals series.  He feigned ingorance, but he knew what was up.  Yes, I know, some will say Valentine wasn't acting ignorant  :) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Are you happy the Red Sox will be just as bad as the lowly Royals & Padres for years to come ? Being happy Beckett is gone is one thing, but did they have to give away the best hitter ? Also, are you happy with the 5 no names the Sox got in return?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Are or weren't they the Royals/Padres this season with Agon, Beckett and CC on the team? Come on jpbssoxfan, Agon never fit in nor did CC. They did not want to be here, and frankly neither did Beckett anymore. I would have been happy with just LA taking the contracts, but to actually get players in return was a bonus. Take a look at how much money they just freed up for next season and on. Also, Dice K coming off the books. The SOX now have a chance to rebuild this team from the ground up, not from the top down. I for one, am thrilled this deal happened. And I believe in short time, you will be too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

As for my take on the trade, I am not overly happy, but like J-Bay I am warming to it.  I guess the best way to describe it is my heart doesn't like it, but my head sees the positives.  I do think the Sox will not compete next year (though I will still watch), but they may be okay in 2014.  I think the two pitchers they got are going to be better than the naysayers think.  I can see them both in the rotation in 2014, probably as #2 and #4 types.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Is anyone happier than me today?:
    [QUOTE]And before those who don't appreciate me start at it, let me just remind you that you won't have to hear me bash Beckett or Crawford (or Drew) ever again - so you should be happy too!!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I'm thrilled they got rid of Beckett.  If they rest had to go then so be it.  If the Sox have to struggle for a couple of years so be it.

I'm sick to death of watching this team's looser mentality.

I hope young blood will give us a more exciting team to watch next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

Are you happy the Red Sox will be just as bad as the lowly Royals & Padres for years to come ? Being happy Beckett is gone is one thing, but did they have to give away the best hitter ? Also, are you happy with the 5 no names the Sox got in return?

years to come?  really?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Way to stay current.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Cool

DOBBS!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Nice. I was thinking the same thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Hey, mitch. We've been wondering where you've been. Pikes missed youTongue Out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Hey, mitch. We've been wondering where you've been. Pikes missed youTongue Out

Thanks!

I've been really busy and keeping off their Forum has bought me a lot of time.

I actually had some time today for the first time in like a year.

I wanted to see if anyone knows anything more about Ells so I came here.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

And before those who don't appreciate me start at it, let me just remind you that you won't have to hear me bash Beckett or Crawford (or Drew) ever again - so you should be happy too!!!!!
    hey AM!!...where ya been?...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hi There.......been real busy, thanks for asking

PS - Jeter hasn't made that play (in your avatar) in years and never will again......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Hi There.......been real busy, thanks for asking

PS - Jeter hasn't made that play (in your avatar) in years and never will again......

LOL...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

seems to have worked out very well for Ben C and the Sox. 

when the trade happened i thought this years team would be nobody's and kids.  was very happy to see some veterans brought in and shocked at how well lackey has pitched.

this years team is a blast to root for......it's been awhile......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Fixing Theo's mess wasn't easy.

We have Larry to thank for that.

But really we traded something like Sean Kelly and Anthony Rizzo for Ruby De La Rosa and Allen Webster.........And Theo's sitting on $20 million on top of the Cubs.......