is Bobby V the kick in the pants the sox need?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

is Bobby V the kick in the pants the sox need?

we all know the sox have the talent to play against anyone, but the effort and will just wasnt there at the end of the year last season....i was a big fan of tito's, but maybe his managing style didnt work/wore out with these players...just thinking optimistically, maybe Bobby V is the guy to get them over the hump

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: is Bobby V the kick in the pants the sox need?

In Response to is Bobby V the kick in the pants the sox need?:
    [QUOTE]we all know the sox have the talent to play against anyone, but the effort and will just wasnt there at the end of the year last season....i was a big fan of tito's, but maybe his managing style didnt work/wore out with these players...just thinking optimistically, maybe Bobby V is the guy to get them over the hump
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

Maybe; thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I'm glad you went public with them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Unfortunately, it's not looking like it early.

He had some pretty controversial things to say about Beckett's time between pitches as an analyst.

Well, he met face-to-face, and suddenly that's not an issue for him anymore.

He's a company stooge, nothing more...well, possibly a pitch man. Look for Ace Ticket, or other sponsor garbage leaving his lips during post game, or those lovely in game interviews. He did very well with that in Japan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

As much as I hated to see Tito go, I understand that a change was needed.  However, I was really against Valentine being hired. 

That said, I really hope he can make it work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he's a perfect short-term solution.  He will put the players on their toes, and will not be a slave to predictable patterns. 

I can't wait to see...

More line-up juggling to reflect who is pitching.
    More platoons.
    No more "personal caddy" crapola.
    No rigid pitch counts.
    Less pampering of high-priced players.

We may see longterm issues, but I like our 2012 outlook with Bobby at the helm. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: is Bobby V the kick in the pants the sox need?:
    [QUOTE]I think he's a perfect short-term solution.  He will put the players on their toes, and will not be a slave to predictable patterns.  I can't wait to see... More line-up juggling to reflect who is pitching. More platoons. No more "personal caddy" crapola. No rigid pitch counts. Less pampering of high-priced players. We may see longterm issues, but I like our 2012 outlook with Bobby at the helm. 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I don't know if he's a perfect short term solution, but I agree with your points to an extent.   I am concerned that he will go overboard with some of these decisions, and I really don't want to see this team micromanaged.  I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though, and hope that he will be just what the team needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't see Bobby as an extremist or a micromanager. I do see him as moving the philosophy a bit closer to my liking, but not overboard. He's a smart guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It all depends on how the veteran players can relate to Valentine after 8 years of Francona.    Two different styles of managing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, it's not looking like it early. He had some pretty controversial things to say about Beckett's time between pitches as an analyst. Well, he met face-to-face, and suddenly that's not an issue for him anymore. He's a company stooge, nothing more...well, possibly a pitch man. Look for Ace Ticket, or other sponsor garbage leaving his lips during post game, or those lovely in game interviews. He did very well with that in Japan.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Wow.  So, let me see if I have this straight:  he buried the hatchet (as if commenting on Josh's slow work was such an attack) with his best pitcher, and that makes him a company stooge?

And, he gives a good interview and is a "pitch man" type, so, that makes him ... what?  Camera-ready?  Who cares?  

And, really, outside of Ozzie Guillen, what manager isn't a comany stooge and a pitch man?  It is part of the job description, no?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

.........and how many days of camp has there been?  It seems to me that what he has done so far has players thinking.  Even rumblings mean something...I think what is means so far is "the grass isn't always greener..."  "  be carefull what you wish for...."  Or maybe, just maybe...."I guess it's time to get our heads out of our 5th point of contact and do our jobs" 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I'd say some players took advantage of Tito and shame on them.  Bobby V understands this i believe and i don't think he is the kind of guy that will let it happen again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see Bobby as an extremist or a micromanager. I do see him as moving the philosophy a bit closer to my liking, but not overboard. He's a smart guy.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but I also suspect that your idea of micromanaging is a bit more stringent than mine.  Either way, I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise, and I truly hope that he is successful with our team.  I agree that he's a smart guy. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m