Is Daniel Nava fading or just in a Slump?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Is Daniel Nava fading or just in a Slump?

As well as Nava has played so far this season, he appears to be fading in the last couple of weeks.  His average is down to .275, his strike outs are up, he is swinging poorly at many more bad pitches, etc.  He is clearly not seeing the ball soon enough or long enough right now.

To me this is where a hitting coach earns his money.  I liked the idea of "hitting through the middle" when is was given credit to getting Saltalamacchia out of his slump, but why is this time proven system not employed more often with the rest of the Sox hitters?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Is Daniel Nava fading or just in a Slump?

In response to charliedarling's comment:

As well as Nava has played so far this season, he appears to be fading in the last couple of weeks.  His average is down to .275, his strike outs are up, he is swinging poorly at many more bad pitches, etc.  He is clearly not seeing the ball soon enough or long enough right now.

To me this is where a hitting coach earns his money.  I liked the idea of "hitting through the middle" when is was given credit to getting Saltalamacchia out of his slump, but why is this time proven system not employed more often with the rest of the Sox hitters?

I would choose option C, regressing to the mean.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Definite slump from how hot he was.

He WILL get hot again.  Finish close to .300 (.285+ to .300)

with 90+ RBI's

Not too flippin shabby :)

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

It is over... and he put up numbers in the first half you would have only hoped that he might do in a year. Nothing wrong with that but he isn't the answer anyomore than Redick, Cody Ross, or Tamarlane. 

We got the best out of him... now make a move and replace him.

Did no one in this thread see the Sox game last night?  Nava is clearly injured and probably has been playing with that injury for some time.  Orsillo and Bradford spent a lot of time pointing that out.  It's his left wrist area.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

It is over... and he put up numbers in the first half you would have only hoped that he might do in a year. Nothing wrong with that but he isn't the answer anyomore than Redick, Cody Ross, or Tamarlane. 

Ok , who the heck is Tamarlane?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In todays game , pitching coaches and managers rely heavily on video. They have obviously watched what Nava has been doing right and they now have enough info on him to expose his weaknesses. He will have to adjust or join a long list of players who didn't and ended up back in the minors for good.

You will see this soon also with Iglesias, he will never keep up his pace.

I just have to laugh when the RS announcers keep pushing for Nava as an All Star. He hasn't established himself as an All Star yet. True stars maintain high level of play for years, not months.

We'll see if this kid can make the adjustments needed to remain a force, or if his exposed weaknesses will do him in. I like the kid and I am truly hoping he adjusts and stays around as ( at least) a 4th outfielder for years to come.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

In todays game , pitching coaches and managers rely heavily on video. They have obviously watched what Nava has been doing right and they now have enough info on him to expose his weaknesses. He will have to adjust or join a long list of players who didn't and ended up back in the minors for good.

You will see this soon also with Iglesias, he will never keep up his pace.

I just have to laugh when the RS announcers keep pushing for Nava as an All Star. He hasn't established himself as an All Star yet. True stars maintain high level of play for years, not months.

We'll see if this kid can make the adjustments needed to remain a force, or if his exposed weaknesses will do him in. I like the kid and I am truly hoping he adjusts and stays around as ( at least) a 4th outfielder for years to come.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

Um, and add to that the fact that his wrist is injured again, as Orsillo and Bradford pointed out in last night's game.  I'm guessing that's also hurt his success at the plate. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to DayToDay's comment:

Did no one in this thread see the Sox game last night?  Nava is clearly injured and probably has been playing with that injury for some time.  Orsillo and Bradford spent a lot of time pointing that out.  It's his left wrist area.

^^THIS^^

Hes having obvious issues swinging the bat with that wrist/thumb. I think Nava needs a rest to heal up, but I give him credit for trying to play through it.

There are no adjustments to be made or the need for the hitting coach to step in. Hes playing hurt and its affecting his hitting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava has never been that great vs LHPs, so it's time to rest him when a lefty starts. (They already have a bit as he has started 49 of 51 vs RH'd starters and 14 of 25 vs lefties.)

The strange stat for Nava is this:

vs RHPs: .882/ vs LHPs .675

BUT...

When he starts vs a LH'd starter, his OPS is .900, but only .801 when a righty starts!

The wrist has been an issue with Nava. Maybe he needs a long rest, but can we afford it?

Nava's OPS spilts by time:

2013: .824

last 28 days: .717

last 14 days: .578

last 7 days: .413

Nava was bothered by injury last year as well, but here are his OPS on these dates:

2012:

6/1/12: .987

7/1/12: .873

8/1/12: .770 (Then missed some time)

9/1/12: .762

10/3/12:  .742

2011:

6/25/11: .966

7/28/11: .831

8/31/11: .730

10/3/11: .711

Here's another player to ponder:

Salty:

2013: .799

last 28: .788

last 14: .734

last 7:  .535

2012:

OPS on...

6/5/12:  .917

7/5/12:  .832

8/5/12:  .780

9/5/12:  .751

10/5/12: .742

2011:

8/2/11: .812

9/2/11: .771

10/2/11: .737

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think his wrist is bothering him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Nava has always been extremely streaky.  He is okay, but to expect him to keep up what he has done is folly.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Anything Nava does is bonus time. With his wrist being a factor, you have to give him credit for playing through it. Gomes can give relief out there. Nava is not a star in the making but is a great,versatile athlete that has helped a lot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Give him a week off, or put him on the DL. He's clearly favoring something!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

He needs to be put on the DL to heal his wrist.

He's obviously trying to play through the pain.  I give him credit for being a warrior, but for the good of the team, he needs time off.

Or, save him for defensive purposes until his wrist heals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

He needs to be put on the DL to heal his wrist.

I don't know about DL, but his wrist did obviously bother him yesterday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Your conclusion from all these stats Moon?

I think Nava is a first half player, but I hold judgement due to wrist injuries and small sample sizes.

Certainly, he may fade even without an injury, but I can also see him surging upwards, if he gets over the injury and gets some rest.

I guess I'm saying I don't know.

I'm more worried about Salty's late season swoons. I'm hoping he gets rested more over the next couple months, but Ross has hit the skids.

21. This post has been removed.