Is Felix Hernandez just bored?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Is Felix Hernandez just bored?

by Matthew Pouliot/RotoWorld:
    Another shaky outing from Felix Hernandez is a reason for concern. His fastball velocity is down slightly, and he's throwing the pitch quite a bit less than usual. I don't think he's hurt, but I do wonder if he's bored. The Mariners, who actually had Adam Kennedy open a game in the cleanup spot last week, look to be even worse than they were last year, and there's no reason to expect a turnaround anytime soon. For the first time, I'm beginning to believe King Felix might be traded. The Mariners have so many needs, and even with their deep pockets, it's hard to imagine them contending before 2013 if they keep Hernandez. They might be in better shape then with three or four top youngsters than they would be with the AL's best pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored?

If I were Seattle, I'd trade him, assuming you had a team willing to dig deep.  By next year, he'll be a lot closer to market value than he is now.  He's put in more IPs at his age than anyone since Gooden and Valenzuela.  If you got 4 big prospects, you're much better off focusing on 2013 and beyond.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Just a reminder that Felix Hernandez is signed through 2014.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/seattle-mariners.html

The Mariners might hope to contend before then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

"A rival GM says he’d trade Felix Hernandez to the Yankees for Ivan NovaDellin BetancesManny Banuelos and Jesus Montero if he were running the Mariners."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/heyman-on-hamilton-young-felix-royals.html

That would be 1 hell of a package.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

A sleepless summer in Seattle
    Buster Olney/ESPN:

The Seattle Mariners were held scoreless Saturday, the latest sign that their offense may well be worse than it was last season. Already this year, manager Eric Wedge -- who had choice words for his players after the whitewash -- has written Adam Kennedy's name into the cleanup spot in his batting order, because he doesn't have many power hitters and he's presumably trying to give Justin Smoak some room to breathe.

The OPS of the Mariners' cleanup hitters is .501, a number augmented by exactly zero home runs. Seattle's run differential so far this year stands at minus-33, the worst in the majors. Meanwhile, Mariners executives are bracing themselves for some brutal attendance figures, Larry Stone writes.

All of this failure will fuel two inevitable questions.

No. 1: Will general manager Jack Zduriencik survive?
    The
    Chone Figgins signing hasn't panned out for the Mariners, for sure, and Brandon Morrow thrived in his first season after Seattle traded him. But beyond those two moves, it's hard to identify many mistakes -- because Zduriencik hasn't had a lot of flexibility to spend money, given the contracts of Carlos Silva, et al, and because the organization had so little talent when he arrived. What has skewed the perception of Zduriencik's time with the team is that fragile success of the Mariners in 2009, when Seattle managed to win 85 games despite ranking 28th in runs scored.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored?:
    [QUOTE]" A rival GM says he’d trade  Felix Hernandez  to the Yankees for  Ivan Nova ,  Dellin Betances ,  Manny Banuelos  and  Jesus Montero  if he were running the Mariners." http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/heyman-on-hamilton-young-felix-royals.html That would be 1 hell of a package.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    How would that package compare to the package the Minnesota Twins received for a six-year, $137.5 million contract with Johan Santana?

The current Baseball America prospect list ranks Jesus Montero third, Manny Banuelos 41st and Dellin Betances 43rd. Ivan Nova is a 24-year-old starter who has never ranked among BA's Top 100 prospects.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2011/2611328.html

In foregoing a final year of Santana's contract, the Twins received Deolis Guerra (BA No. 35 prospect in 2008), Carlos Gomez (BA No. 52 in 2008 and No. 60 in 2007), Phil Humber (BA No. 50 in 2005 and No. 73 in 2006) and Kevin Mulvey (BA unranked).

The modest return in the Johan Santana trade demonstates the perils of trading an established ace for prospects only. The Mariners could be saddled with little more than Deolis Guerra, Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber and Kevin Mulvey for nearly four years of Felix Hernandez.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Hill,

Naturally there is uncertainty in any trade of established star for prospects, however why should the M's look for someone to help them in 2011 if they're blowing up the 2011 team by trading Felix?  By the time they are ready to trade Felix, Nova will have something of a track record (small sample, but better than nothing), Montero currently has a MLB ready bat (something the M's desperately need), and there are 2 arms with huge upside just about 2 years away from being ready.  Factor in the nearly ~$20M that the M's would have to work with in salary after dealing Felix and the deal could work out just fine.

Also, there's one huge difference between the Santana deal and the proposed Felix deal, that of course being that Santana wasn't under contract for the following season while King Felix is locked up through the 2014 season at a below market rate (although still a high $ total).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It would be best for the Mariners to trade Felix H. 

But I do not want Boston to give up one of our top hitters and top prospects for him. 

This reminds me when the Twins wanted so much from the Red Sox for Santana. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Hill, Naturally there is uncertainty in any trade of established star for prospects, however why should the M's look for someone to help them in 2011 if they're blowing up the 2011 team by trading Felix?  By the time they are ready to trade Felix, Nova will have something of a track record (small sample, but better than nothing), Montero currently has a MLB ready bat (something the M's desperately need), and there are 2 arms with huge upside just about 2 years away from being ready.  Factor in the nearly ~$20M that the M's would have to work with in salary after dealing Felix and the deal could work out just fine. Also, there's one huge difference between the Santana deal and the proposed Felix deal, that of course being that Santana wasn't under contract for the following season while King Felix is locked up through the 2014 season at a below market rate (although still a high $ total).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    My point exactly.

The Mariners should demand far more the the Twins received for Johan Santana and I'm not convinced the proposed Yankee offer is substantially better than the Met offer for Santana.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Seattle Mariners organization is a big mess right now. 

They might as well call Bill Gates and ask for some guidance or advice.  lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored? : My point exactly. The Mariners should demand far more the the Twins received for Johan Santana and I'm not convinced the proposed Yankee offer is substantially better than the Met offer for Santana.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

And that's fair, but if it were the best offer the received, would it be enough?  Are the M's better off long term making that deal, or keeping Felix (in your opinion)?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored? : And that's fair, but if it were the best offer the received, would it be enough?  Are the M's better off long term making that deal, or keeping Felix (in your opinion)?
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    With nearly four years left on the Felix Hernandez contract, the Mariners are unlikely to trade their ace anytime soon unless the M's receive an offer an established young power hitter under control for at least the same duration, plus three or four prospects.

I can't blame another team for not offering that package.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

If I'm the Sox I don't think about trying to touch Felix.  Something tells he wouldn't fair well on the big stage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Road-Warrior. Show Road-Warrior's posts

[QUOTE]If I'm the Sox I don't think about trying to touch Felix.  Something tells he wouldn't fair well on the big stage.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Something tells me your predictions are a joke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored? : Something tells me your predictions are a joke.
    Posted by Road-Warrior[/QUOTE]

Coming from the one-liner king that offers nothing baseball related to this forum... Something tells me you're the joke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]If I'm the Sox I don't think about trying to touch Felix.  Something tells he wouldn't fair well on the big stage.
    In 2010, Felix Hernandez was 1-0 with a 1.23 ERA at Fenway Park in his only start against the Red Sox. Hernandez is 3-0 with a 1.23 ERA in four career starts at Fenway Park.

In 2010, Hernandez was 3.0 with a 0.35 ERA in three starts against the New York Yankees, including a 2-0 record and a 0.00 ERA in two starts at Yankee Stadium.

Hernandez has a 3.14 ERA in 301 career innings against AL East teams, an ERA that is lower than his overall career ERA of 3.22.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hernafe02&year=Career&t=p

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored? : In 2010, Felix Hernandez was 1-0 with a 1.23 ERA at Fenway Park in his only start against the Red Sox. Hernandez is 3-0 with a 1.23 ERA in four career starts at Fenway Park. In 2010, Hernandez was 3.0 with a 0.35 ERA in three starts against the New York Yankees, including a 2-0 record and 0.00 ERA in two starts at Yankee Stadium. Hernandez has a 3.14 ERA in 301 career innings against AL East teams, an ERA that is lower than his overall career ERA of 3.22. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hernafe02&year=Career&t=p
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Correction: Not playing on the big stage but playing for the big stage...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I would love for the sox to trade for felix hernandez. How does lars anderson, josh reddick, jed lowrie, and dice k sound with the sox paying all of dice k's salary. M's would have smoak and anderson in the 3/4 for years to come, lowire can play short as they have ackley who will play second, reddick will start in the outfield, dice k will take felix's spot in the rotation and could do better in a lower pressure environment and there is a large asian fanbase in seattle so he would be a good fit there. Could throw in someone like drake britton or stolmy pimental as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I would love for the sox to trade for felix hernandez. How does lars anderson, josh reddick, jed lowrie, and dice k sound with the sox paying all of dice k's salary. M's would have smoak and anderson in the 3/4 for years to come, lowire can play short as they have ackley who will play second, reddick will start in the outfield, dice k will take felix's spot in the rotation and could do better in a lower pressure environment and there is a large asian fanbase in seattle so he would be a good fit there. Could throw in someone like drake britton or stolmy pimental as well.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

It sounds something like LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Also, Drake isn't someone who would be a throw in into any sort of deal, he would be a solid part of it since he is viewed as a better prospect than Lars or Reddick.

But yeah, sorry if that was a bit harsh, but that isn't nearly enough for the King.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I would love for the sox to trade for felix hernandez. How does lars anderson, josh reddick, jed lowrie, and dice k sound with the sox paying all of dice k's salary. M's would have smoak and anderson in the 3/4 for years to come, lowire can play short as they have ackley who will play second, reddick will start in the outfield, dice k will take felix's spot in the rotation and could do better in a lower pressure environment and there is a large asian fanbase in seattle so he would be a good fit there. Could throw in someone like drake britton or stolmy pimental as well.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    With all due respect, none of those players has much trade value.

Josh Reddick was minor piece of a potential package the Mariners reportedly turned down in July 2009 for a year and two months of Felix Hernandez:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html

Hernandez is worth more now that the righthander remains under his team's control through 2014.

Matsuazaka would not necessarily represent an upgrade to the current Seattle rotation of Hernandez, Erik Bedard, Michael Pineda, Jason Vargas and Doug Fister. Bedard, like Matsuzaka, has struggled after a strong Spring Training. Vargas and Fister posted higher WAR* in 2010 (2.6 and 2.9) than Matsuzaka did (2.5).

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored? : With all due respect, none of those players has much trade value. Josh Reddick was minor piece of a potential package the Mariners reportedly turned down in July 2009 for a year and two months of Felix Hernandez: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html Hernandez is worth more now that the righthander remains under his team's control through 2014. Matsuazaka would not necessarily represent an upgrade to the current Seattle rotation of Hernandez, Erik Bedard, Michael Pineda, Jason Vargas and Doug Fister. Bedard, like Matsuzaka, has struggled after a strong Spring Training. Vargas and Fister posted higher WAR* in 2010 (2.6 and 2.9) than Matsuzaka did (2.5). * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs .
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say none.  Jed Lowrie is looking like a damn good player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Felix Hernandez just bored? : I wouldn't say none.  Jed Lowrie is looking like a damn good player.

Without an extension he doesn't fit the M's timeline if they traded Felix.  (Jed hits arb in 2012, team control through 2014 [same as Felix]).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We should not wish for Seattle to trade the "King" to Boston - or trade him at all. For baseball's sake he belongs in Seattle and hopefully they will ad some key pieces and make the show (only to loose to us in the ALCS of course).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

Mariano looked bored just now doing what he always does...its like surgery and I love it.....Theeeeeeeeeee Yankees Win!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Mariano looked bored just now doing what he always does...its like surgery and I love it.....Theeeeeeeeeee Yankees Win!!
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

I'm happy about this too, but what does that have to do with thread?