is it just me reaching for a BAILEYs every time ANDRE comes into games?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

is it just me reaching for a BAILEYs every time ANDRE comes into games?

hey man, he got the save.. really? hard hit here, hard hit there.. no command there, easy walk.. finally, in what should b 2 outs, the jabroni runner gets dementia and thinks there's already 2 outs when the ball is hit to right and keeps on running his way back to the minors.. inevitably! this guy makes lee smith's tenure here look like mariano's heyday. too bad koji cant close, he's so easy to watch.. king of efficiency! we cant have bailey closing playoff games.. get pap back no matter what the cost.. we aint winning it all with jabro bailey out there at the end!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: is it just me reaching for a BAILEYs every time ANDRE comes into games?

A win is a win enjoy it. Closers aren't perfect, look at the A.L. save leaders from last yr Johnson and Rodney both are have struggled this season far more than Bailey has.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I say tell Andrew it's not working --you've had several chances we're going to try Taz again or a combo of Taz and Ue. Bailey, Morales and Miller become the first guys up.  Ruby and Breslow could be the set ups for Taz and Ue to close.

It's not that Bailey can't do it--it's just he hasn't proven yet, this season, that he can do it. I agree with someone that said Ue is easy to watch. It's an adventure with Bailey---I don't like adventure at the end of games---I like it when it gets locked down in 9 pitches. The batters know the Sheriff is in the house order restored.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

miller might be the one i look for...he is cool, calm, and throws serious smoke

As always - 100% correct!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Stan17 is right, of course, but I too was not happy with yesterday's 9th inning, in which Bailey did about everything he could to blow a three run lead.  He might have succeeded but for that egregious baserunning error. 

To me Bailey reinforces why the Sox were reluctant to spend major dollars on a closer like Papelbon, who has been terrific since he moved to Philly.  Funny thing is, however, the Phillies have been anything but terrific since acquiring their ace closer for a zillion bucks.  He should have been the icing on the cake, but the cake itself is deflating. 

I think Bailey needs to pitch more often, thereby reinforcing what skills he might have.  Almost immediately after that blown save in Tampa he came back and got that save with a one run lead--and looked like the real deal.  Also, the Orioles are second only to the Sox in runs scored in MLB, so they do have the potential to strike back deep in a game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You knew he was destined to face the meat of the order in the 9th--Jones, Davis and Weiters.

They are three pretty solid run producers. Whe he K'd Davis I felt certain he would induce a double play as he did in Tampa but Weiter's got him. I still just don't feel comfortable with him closing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not completely comfortable with him closing, but I'd need more evidence of a problem.  2-0, 2.95, 30/9 K/W, 1.172 Whip, 80% save ratio.

BS1 was on a single by Zobeist, a pretty good hitter.

BS2 was just a mess.

But even last night, two of the hits were groundballs.  And a HR by someone who hits 22-23 a year is not a bright light for me.  From my perspective, walking either Jones or Weiters would have been more of a warning than a single and HR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I'm not completely comfortable with him closing, but I'd need more evidence of a problem.  2-0, 2.95, 30/9 K/W, 1.172 Whip, 80% save ratio.

BS2 was just a mess.

But even last night, two of the hits were groundballs.  And a HR by someone who hits 22-23 a year is not a bright light for me.  From my perspective, walking either Jones or Weiters would have been more of a warning than a single and HR.

I wouldnt yank him either but maybe giving Miller a chance to pitch later in games and inserting him in when Bailey cant pitch might be a good move

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The word is that Uehara is old and cannot handle the workload of closer. However , in the set up role , he has pitched as many innings as Bailey and Hanrahan combined.  Much cleaner innings , I might add.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Another "bullpen by committee" season.  Bailey should never be given the ball with less than a 5 run lead.  The only guy they have right now with anything even close  to a closer mentality is Miller.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to soups' comment:

Another "bullpen by committee" season.  Bailey should never be given the ball with less than a 5 run lead.  The only guy they have right now with anything even close  to a closer mentality is Miller.

Which of his stats do you not like?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

BS2 was just a mess.

I wouldnt yank him either but maybe giving Miller a chance to pitch later in games and inserting him in when Bailey cant pitch might be a good move

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm past Miller as a LOOGY, and he also has a pretty high walk rate.

And there are bunch of guys that do well in limited scenarios.  Tazawa, Uehara, Breslow, and Miller have my full confidence in the 8th.  But none of them have my confidence in the 9th.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For one thing, he doesn't get the first out without giving up a runner.  In five of his save attempts, he's allowed the first batter he's faced to reach second without recording an out.  Enough said, but it gets broader from there.  And that's to say nothing of what he does when he's behind in the count...it's ugly. 

I really like Bailey, and I think he had the makeup to pitch well in a different division.  I just don't think he's got the bulldog mentality of a closer in this division.  The stats support this.  And these are just the past seven days.  Look at the ERA and hits.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30096/andrew-bailey

Only positive thing there is his WHIP numbers.  Maybe he needs runners to reach second with no one out?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]hey Soups, how you doing bud??..

[/QUOTE]

For one thing, he doesn't get the first out without giving up a runner.  In five of his save attempts, he's allowed the first batter he's faced to reach second without recording an out.  Enough said, but it gets broader from there.  And that's to say nothing of what he does when he's behind in the count...it's ugly. 

I really like Bailey, and I think he had the makeup to pitch well in a different division.  I just don't think he's got the bulldog mentality of a closer in this division.  The stats support this.  And these are just the past seven days.  Look at the ERA and hits.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30096/andrew-bailey

Only positive thing there is his WHIP numbers.  Maybe he needs runners to reach second with no one out?

[/QUOTE]

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I dont get why people just look at the last week and not the whole season.

Bailey has been very good until the past week or so.

No reason to panic. yet people around here love to do so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

baileys again...i'm running out with this jabro. enough is enough

COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES... @commyContrarian on Twitter!