Is it okay to root for them to lose?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

Is it okay to root for them to lose?

I'm not talking about boycotting or booing, I'm talking about literally rooting against the Sox and (by proxy) for whoever they're playing. And yes, I do mean rooting for the Yankees to beat the Red Sox. I'm not sure I could actually do it, but at the same time can't help but feel that winning could do more harm than good for the rest of this year. Look at it this way. Should the team get on some sort of extended hot streak over the next six weeks and finish with a respectable record (say 85 wins or so), am I the only one worried the FO would say "we finished strong, everyone's coming back healthy in the Spring, no need for major changes" and then we'd be stuck with more of this crap next year? Like I said, I'm not sure I could actually sit and watch a game rooting for them to lose, but it's enough of a concern that I don't really want them to win at this point, either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose?

In Response to Is it okay to root for them to lose?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not talking about boycotting or booing, I'm talking about literally rooting against the Sox and (by proxy) for whoever they're playing. And yes, I do mean rooting for the Yankees to beat the Red Sox. I'm not sure I could actually do it, but at the same time can't help but feel that winning could do more harm than good for the rest of this year. Look at it this way. Should the team get on some sort of extended hot streak over the next six weeks and finish with a respectable record (say 85 wins or so), am I the only one worried the FO would say "we finished strong, everyone's coming back healthy in the Spring, no need for major changes" and then we'd be stuck with more of this crap next year? Like I said, I'm not sure I could actually sit and watch a game rooting for them to lose, but it's enough of a concern that I don't really want them to win at this point, either.
    Posted by cgmiles75[/QUOTE]

If the Fo can't see by now that there are real issues with this team, they should sell.

I don't think anything but a playoff berth is going to keep them from making changes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

In Response to Is it okay to root for them to lose?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not talking about boycotting or booing, I'm talking about literally rooting against the Sox and (by proxy) for whoever they're playing. And yes, I do mean rooting for the Yankees to beat the Red Sox. I'm not sure I could actually do it, but at the same time can't help but feel that winning could do more harm than good for the rest of this year. Look at it this way. Should the team get on some sort of extended hot streak over the next six weeks and finish with a respectable record (say 85 wins or so), am I the only one worried the FO would say "we finished strong, everyone's coming back healthy in the Spring, no need for major changes" and then we'd be stuck with more of this crap next year? Like I said, I'm not sure I could actually sit and watch a game rooting for them to lose, but it's enough of a concern that I don't really want them to win at this point, either.
    Posted by cgmiles75[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand the logic  - what changes do you want to take place? Dumping bad players?  But, if they start playing well, they are no longer bad players and there's no reason to dump good players.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

My logic is that I could see the FO using pretty much any improvement over the next 44 games as evidence that the only problem with this team was injuries and the big, bad media. If the team goes, say, 27-17 the rest of the way, that would not even begin to change my mind that team needs to re-work its roster. Only an August '04 style run would do that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I believe that "rooting for them to lose" is either a paradox or an oxymoron.

If you are "rooting for them" , you do not wish for them to lose.

"Rooting for" indicates that you are "for" not "against."

Perhaps what you mean to say is that you "hate somebody's stinkin' guts for what's happened this season, and since we don't know who's at fault, let's wish the absolute worst (0-49) for the remainder of the season and if things go from bad to worse to disgraceful to "I need to vomit at the end of every inning"...then maybe, just maybe the owners will wake up and see that this team has a few problems.

But then again, Henry has a NASCAR team ( not doing very well either) and a British soccer team...so maybe he has stopped watching baseball himself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Pulling for the Yankees to beat the Red Sox?  Never going to happen. 

I just posted elsewhere that I would rather suffer this misery as a Red Sox fan than become a Yankee fan.

Heck, we've done it for years.

I don't think I could ever pull for the Red Sox to lose, even if we were mathematically eliminated and it meant a better draft pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

Seems like if we all continue to root for them to win, the losing (this season) will take care of itself. Dont you change a thing. Stay sassy!!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : hey I was pulling for the sox to beat the O's last night and then the game started   I just couldn't do it ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

LOL Zac.  I hear ya.

At least you're not feeling sorry for us yet.  ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I can't root for the Sox to lose, any more than I can root for the Yankees to win. Not even at gunpoint.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE] I can't root for the Sox to lose, any more than I can root for the Yankees to win. Not even at gunpoint.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]J, root for the Yanks to win today..or else....Tongue outWink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : J, root for the Yanks to win today..or else....
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

OK, but looks like it's too late, jete. Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]Pulling for the Yankees to beat the Red Sox?  Never going to happen.  I just posted elsewhere that I would rather suffer this misery as a Red Sox fan than become a Yankee fan. Heck, we've done it for years. I don't think I could ever pull for the Red Sox to lose, even if we were mathematically eliminated and it meant a better draft pick.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

This strategy is "short term only" strategy without regard to the long term future strength of the franchise. There are clearly situations where it would be better for the Red Sox to lose games in terms of the big picture. I would rather take my lumps for in one year for the sake of the future than take them every year. Yes, there are situations where fans could justifiably root for some losses as a superior long term strategy.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : This strategy is "short term only" strategy without regard to the long term future strength of the franchise. There are clearly situations where it would be better for the Red Sox to lose games in terms of the big picture. I would rather take my lumps for in one year for the sake of the future than take them every year. Yes, there are situations where fans could justifiably root for some losses as a superior long term strategy.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

rooting for them to lose is one thing, pumpsie, not being heartbroken if they do, is another. LL was on WEEI this morning. From the sounds of it, they've seen enough to realize changing managers wasn't the quick fix they thought it would be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

No, it's not ok. It's ok to root for certain players to lose, but not the whole team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : OK, but looks like it's too late, jete.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] ugh, you're right..rats!!!well, 3 of 4...well, time to regroup and get ready for another Yanks/Sox "family gathering"...Tongue out

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it okay to root for them to lose? : rooting for them to lose is one thing, pumpsie, not being heartbroken if they do, is another. LL was on WEEI this morning. From the sounds of it, they've seen enough to realize changing managers wasn't the quick fix they thought it would be.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I am just as heartbroken about this season as anyone else here. I always root for what I think is best for the team. Sometimes thats rooting for another team to beat one of our opponents; nearly always its rooting for our team to win; its never rooting for the Yankees to win (though really, sometimes that too would be best); and rarely, its best for the long term for us to lose a few games short term. Think of this example: the first six draft picks are absolutely primo but there is a dropoff when it comes to #7. If we are doomed anyway that year, its really best for the team if we grab one of those top six prospects,even though that means we would have to lose some games. This year it might be best if we finished below .500 and in last place so that the dominos would fall that force the owners into the kind of action that would result in a better team in a couple of years. There are times that it takes a strong stimulus to force meaningful change.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Keeping BV at manager will help fufill your anti-team wishes for 2012. You are the worst kind of fan, pumpsie...turn in your Sox Wally the Monster pin. Yes, let's all wallow about the players and root for the team to lose...Haven't seen so much fan self-pity since fans were rooting for Pats to lose so they could get Bledsoe. Except this Sox team has talent, that lousy Pats team prior to Bledsoe was as pathetic a bunch as I've ever seen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

To me, this is a philosophical question.  And my philosophy is that it isn't right, that it is a violation of the code of being a fan.  I think most sports fans feel that way.

Also, if somebody does actually hope to see their team lose, I think they should keep that to themselves.

Just my opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

pumpsie went all Israel on us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]To me, this is a philosophical question.  And my philosophy is that it isn't right, that it is a violation of the code of being a fan.  I think most sports fans feel that way. Also, if somebody does actually hope to see their team lose, I think they should keep that to themselves. Just my opinion.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Just expressing my opinion too Hfx. I realize that I am in the minority. Maybe its the chess player in me...strategy trumps all. I believe that anyone who wants the best for the team can be called a fan, regardless of what Cater says.