Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

by John Beattie/NESN
    There's a good chance that Jason Varitek's name will be mentioned in the same breath as many of the all-time Red Sox greats.

The captain will one day enter the Red Sox Hall of Fame when his career is all said and done, but will Tek be invited to Cooperstown?

No. 33 has been a fixture in the Sox dugout and behind the dish every year since 1998 -- technically his second year with the club, after being acquired from the Mariners at the trade deadline in 1997 when he played one game with the Sox.

In Boston, Tek is a God. Throughout baseball, he's one of the most respected elder-statesman in the league and despite never hitting over .300 in any single season, he's strung together Hall of Fame catcher-like numbers during his prime.

Like all other Hall of Fame debates, it's tough to compare Tek to the 13 current Cooperstown backstops. Sure, guys like Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra and Carlton Fisk have better numbers than Varitek, but as we all know -- and have a tough time coping with, when it comes down to the old "should he or shouldn't he" debate -- it's a different game than it was when those legends manned the dish. That being said, Tek also has the edge in a few major offensive stats (batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, home runs, RBIs, runs scored) against a handful of current Hall of Fame catchers.

As seen on Tuesday night, Tek's defensive prowess will only boost his chances of getting the nod to baseball immortality -- as will his two World Series rings. An MLB-record four no-hitters caught is impressive to many and will help his cause, but his importance to the Sox pitching staff can barely be summed up by numbers. That angle may be hard to fathom by some voters.

Does Jason Varitek, who owns a career .258 BA, 187 home runs, 739 RBIs, 651 runs scored and a .778 OPS, belong in the Hall of Fame? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?

In Response to Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]by John Beattie/NESN There's a good chance that Jason Varitek 's name will be mentioned in the same breath as many of the all-time Red Sox greats. The captain will one day enter the Red Sox Hall of Fame when his career is all said and done, but will Tek be invited to Cooperstown? No. 33 has been a fixture in the Sox dugout and behind the dish every year since 1998 -- technically his second year with the club, after being acquired from the Mariners at the trade deadline in 1997 when he played one game with the Sox. In Boston, Tek is a God. Throughout baseball, he's one of the most respected elder-statesman in the league and despite never hitting over .300 in any single season, he's strung together Hall of Fame catcher-like numbers during his prime. Like all other Hall of Fame debates, it's tough to compare Tek to the 13 current Cooperstown backstops. Sure, guys like Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra and Carlton Fisk have better numbers than Varitek, but as we all know -- and have a tough time coping with, when it comes down to the old "should he or shouldn't he" debate -- it's a different game than it was when those legends manned the dish. That being said, Tek also has the edge in a few major offensive stats (batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, home runs, RBIs, runs scored) against a handful of current Hall of Fame catchers. As seen on Tuesday night, Tek's defensive prowess will only boost his chances of getting the nod to baseball immortality -- as will his two World Series rings. An MLB-record four no-hitters caught is impressive to many and will help his cause, but his importance to the Sox pitching staff can barely be summed up by numbers. That angle may be hard to fathom by some voters. Does Jason Varitek, who owns a career .258 BA, 187 home runs, 739 RBIs, 651 runs scored and a .778 OPS, belong in the Hall of Fame? 

Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

He gets in the same way I do....with a ticket.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Good leader, good defensive catcher, so-so offensive player.

If he goes to the Hall of Fame, I want Andy Etchebarran and Mike Scioscia in there as well.

Then we can rename it the Hall-of -Pretty Darn Good Players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's just an opinion piece.  I like Tek a lot and think he is still a pretty effective catcher, but I don't see him in the HOF.  I do see him getting some votes, however. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Yeah no way.  Ever hear of Lance Parrish?  324 home runs, won three gold gloves and made 8 all star teams.  He isn't in.  You would also have to put guys like Ted simmons over Tek.  Simmons was lifetime 285 with 248 home runs.  

I like Tek but he doesn't come close to a HOF level.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Red Sox HOF, yes.

Cooperstown, no.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

if they let rizzuto and gossage in, then the bars been lowered enough for V-TEK.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]by John Beattie/NESN There's a good chance that Jason Varitek 's name will be mentioned in the same breath as many of the all-time Red Sox greats. The captain will one day enter the Red Sox Hall of Fame when his career is all said and done, but will Tek be invited to Cooperstown? No. 33 has been a fixture in the Sox dugout and behind the dish every year since 1998 -- technically his second year with the club, after being acquired from the Mariners at the trade deadline in 1997 when he played one game with the Sox. In Boston, Tek is a God. Throughout baseball, he's one of the most respected elder-statesman in the league and despite never hitting over .300 in any single season, he's strung together Hall of Fame catcher-like numbers during his prime. Like all other Hall of Fame debates, it's tough to compare Tek to the 13 current Cooperstown backstops. Sure, guys like Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra and Carlton Fisk have better numbers than Varitek, but as we all know -- and have a tough time coping with, when it comes down to the old "should he or shouldn't he" debate -- it's a different game than it was when those legends manned the dish. That being said, Tek also has the edge in a few major offensive stats (batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, home runs, RBIs, runs scored) against a handful of current Hall of Fame catchers. As seen on Tuesday night, Tek's defensive prowess will only boost his chances of getting the nod to baseball immortality -- as will his two World Series rings. An MLB-record four no-hitters caught is impressive to many and will help his cause, but his importance to the Sox pitching staff can barely be summed up by numbers. That angle may be hard to fathom by some voters. Does Jason Varitek, who owns a career .258 BA, 187 home runs, 739 RBIs, 651 runs scored and a .778 OPS, belong in the Hall of Fame? 
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Jason doesn't have HOF numbers.  He has been a very important player for the Red Sox but may not be "as important" playing anywhere else at this point.  I could take some heat on this but a 250 career BA and "one" all star appearance probably won't get many votes to the Hall.  He has caught "no hitters" played good defense and everyone knows he can call a good game but I just don't see it happening.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

After last nights play, he's in, first ballot...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]Good leader, good defensive catcher, so-so offensive player. If he goes to the Hall of Fame, I want Andy Etchebarran and Mike Scioscia in there as well. Then we can rename it the Hall-of -Pretty Darn Good Players.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Z,

If you don't think Tek belongs in the HOF, that's fine. At this point, I'm inclined to say no to the HOF too. Lance Parrish and Ted Simmons IMO belong in first.

But there's no need to disrespect Varitek by putting him in the same category as Etchebarren and Scioscia. Tek blows both of them away offensively and was at least as good as both defensively.

Just look at the numbers.

Sciosia 13 seasons, 1,441 games, 4,373 at-bats 198 doubles, 68 HR, 446 RBIs, .259 BA, .700 OPS

Etchebarren 15 seasons, 948 games, 2,618 games, 101 doubles, 49 HR, 309 RBIs, .235 BA, .649 OPS

Tek Tek 15 seasons, 1,518 games, 5,001 at-bats, 303 doubles, 187 HR, 739 RBIs, .258 BA, .778 OPS.

The captain deserves some respect, don't you think?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

Along with Andy Etchebarren and Mike Scoscia, I would add Jerry Grote.

So yes to RS HOF and no to Cooperstown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

What, no love for Russ Nixon?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Pudge Rodriguez is the only upcoming HOF candidate as a catcher I can think of.  Tek had a very nice career and was (is) a solid contributor on successful Sox teams, but he is not among the all time elite at his position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Along with Andy Etchebarren and Mike Scoscia, I would add Jerry Grote. So yes to RS HOF and no to Cooperstown.
    Posted by SanCap[/QUOTE]

You're adding another name who doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Varitek. I can probably name a few dozen or so.

You're comparing a player (Tek) who is at least close to being borderline to players who can't even sniff the area code of the borderline.

To put it in persective, if there were a map, Tek would be at least be somewhere on Route 28 north of I-88.

Sciosia would be California, and Grote and Etechbarren would be on some island in the Pacific.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I agree that Pudge is the only one out there and Posada walking the fence. Varitek doesn't have the glory numbers that the writers look for when voting.

Yazzer - Gossage - really?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Pudge Rodriguez is the only upcoming HOF candidate as a catcher I can think of.  Tek had a very nice career and was (is) a solid contributor on successful Sox teams, but he is not among the all time elite at his position.

Posted by phxvlsoxfan[/QUOTE]

But the PEDs allegations may hurt his chances.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Just got off the phone with Softy and he says, yes!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]What, no love for Russ Nixon?
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Love it; especially his yr at Green Bay Wisc. I remember those cards well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Love it; especially his yr at Green Bay Wisc. I remember those cards well.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

The number of catchers elected into the HOF is extremely limited. I love TEK, but he doesn't have a chance with this group:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofmem2b.shtml

Hall of Fame Members

Catchers

NameYearMethodBallotsVotes%

Johnny Bench

BBWAA

44743196.42%

Yogi Berra

BBWAA

39633985.61%

Roger Bresnahan

Veterans

Roy Campanella

BBWAA

34027079.41%

Gary Carter

BBWAA

49638778.02%

Mickey Cochrane

BBWAA

16112879.50%

Bill Dickey

BBWAA

25220280.16%

Buck Ewing

Veterans

Rick Ferrell

Veterans

Carlton Fisk

BBWAA

49939779.56%

Gabby Hartnett

BBWAA

25119577.69%

Ernie Lombardi

Veterans

Ray Schalk

Veterans

NameYearMethodBallotsVotes%

Hall of Fame Catchers

TEK is probably the 2nd best Red Sox catcher of all time. (better than Gedman, Sammy White, an aging Elston Howard, Russ Nixon, Tillman, Monty, etc.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I could have sworn that Ellie howard was in the HoF.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPINJIM59. Show SPINJIM59's posts

IF he gets 1 vote it will be a shocker. HE has not had 1 year worthy of being in the HOF.Loving the guy is one thing mentioning HOF with his name is a jioke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scorieger. Show scorieger's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Jason Varitek a Hall of Famer? : Z, If you don't think Tek belongs in the HOF, that's fine. At this point, I'm inclined to say no to the HOF too. Lance Parrish and Ted Simmons IMO belong in first. But there's no need to disrespect Varitek by putting him in the same category as Etchebarren and Scioscia. Tek blows both of them away offensively and was at least as good as both defensively. Just look at the numbers. Sciosia 13 seasons, 1,441 games, 4,373 at-bats 198 doubles, 68 HR, 446 RBIs, .259 BA, .700 OPS Etchebarren 15 seasons, 948 games, 2,618 games, 101 doubles, 49 HR, 309 RBIs, .235 BA, .649 OPS Tek Tek 15 seasons, 1,518 games, 5,001 at-bats, 303 doubles, 187 HR, 739 RBIs, .258 BA, .778 OPS. The captain deserves some respect, don't you think?
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Respect? by all means.  The hall? Not a sniff.