Is Napoli the best solution at First Base?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Re: Is Napoli the best solution at First Base?

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pros: Napoli might have the highest ceiling of any first baseman on the market, given the 1.046 OPS he posted in a tremendous 2011. Even in his less impressive seasons, he has shown the kind of patience the Red Sox now lack in the lineup. He has long owned Boston pitching and Fenway Park, with 15 homers in 38 career games against the Sox and seven in 19 games at Fenway. (Fun with math: Both of those numbers extrapolate to a roughly 60-homer season.) His defensive versatility -- he's spent most of his career as a catcher -- would give Boston added depth behind Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway.

Cons: That 2011 season appears to be an outlier: Napoli hasn't hit above .273 in any other year. The fact that he's primarily served as a catcher will likely make him more attractive to teams that have bigger holes at that position, potentially driving up his price. Further, while Napoli's production is well above-average for a big-league catcher, it is subpar for a first baseman.

Should the Red Sox pursue? Yes, but only on a shorter-term deal. Even in Napoli's down season in 2012, only David Ortiz among Red Sox posted a better walk rate. Napoli had the same on-base percentage as Adrian Gonzalez did during his time in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Sin---if the alternative is for the gutless and spineless Cherington to regign the worthless and miserable James baLoney, then yes, Napoli or anybody would be an improvement.  That goes for Gomez as well since by the end of the season he was terribly exposed along with his miserable fielding.  Personally, I think we should think long range here---try and trade for Ike Davis, who I heard might be available for trade since the Mets want to put Lucas Duda there.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I agree on Napoli.  His 2012 was underrated.

1-He's a righty, so the TX effect is not so advantageous.  His home OPS is .785 and away is .839.  Maybe a slight aqdvantage.

2-His first half OPS was .759 and his 2nd half was .925, with a 1.051 in September.

3-I'm not bagging on Lav, but he is no sure thing, and Napoli would platoon really well with Salty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You should probably credit the writer from where this article orginated from...Tim Britton from the providence Journal.

With that said, I dont think Napoli is the long term solution, rather a 1 year deal. I think 2011 was not who he really is , but more like 2012. One year will not hurt the team to find out if his versatility warrants a longer deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Is he perfect? No.  But he's probably the best option for the Sox at the moment.  As long as it's only 2 years max, he'd be a good choice.

He'd provide a .250 average with like 20-25 HR and 80-90 RBI.  That's fine by me, especially with no compensation tied to him.  He should also benefit from playing in Fenway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Napoli is not the answer at 1B, C or DH.

I'd rather pay LaRoche. (Career .886 2nd half OPS. Career HRs per 650 PAs: 28 vs RHPs/24 vs LHPs)

Better yet, trade for K Morales or Morneau as long as they don't cost too much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

Pros: Napoli might have the highest ceiling of any first baseman on the market, given the 1.046 OPS he posted in a tremendous 2011. Even in his less impressive seasons, he has shown the kind of patience the Red Sox now lack in the lineup. He has long owned Boston pitching and Fenway Park, with 15 homers in 38 career games against the Sox and seven in 19 games at Fenway. (Fun with math: Both of those numbers extrapolate to a roughly 60-homer season.) His defensive versatility -- he's spent most of his career as a catcher -- would give Boston added depth behind Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway.

Cons: That 2011 season appears to be an outlier: Napoli hasn't hit above .273 in any other year. The fact that he's primarily served as a catcher will likely make him more attractive to teams that have bigger holes at that position, potentially driving up his price. Further, while Napoli's production is well above-average for a big-league catcher, it is subpar for a first baseman.

Should the Red Sox pursue? Yes, but only on a shorter-term deal. Even in Napoli's down season in 2012, only David Ortiz among Red Sox posted a better walk rate. Napoli had the same on-base percentage as Adrian Gonzalez did during his time in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Plagiarizing again pike?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd rather pay LaRoche. (Career .886 2nd half OPS. Career HRs per 650 PAs: 28 vs RHPs/24 vs LHPs)

[/QUOTE]LaRoche is going to cost too much in years and average salary to be worth it for Boston. Investing in a 33-year-old off a career year doesn't win you championships.

[/QUOTE]

He has had other similar years. I don't think he will get a long term high-priced deal.

I think the fact that Napoli catches (although not well) will cause him to get more than LaRoche.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

He is another Salty. Hr or strikeout. Nough said, I'll pass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i agree with ths...i'd take laroche.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2012/11/analyzing-the-1b-market.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If they take on a contract I would go with Kendry's Morales--he's a switchhitter that hits with power. He is a FA in 2014--he may like Boston--he also is a valuable commodity so that he would have a trade market at the deadline. Short term solution. It would give WMB and/or Boggie a year to work with a 1 B mit. Perhaps for Andrew Miller or Franklin Morales and a prospect.

My second choice would be LaRoche---though lefthanded--he has a great swing for the Monster. Fine fielder--FA---we wouldn't lose a draft choice or prospects. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I would just keep Gomez on 1st base and go and get a older vet less cost to take the role on first. Let both Gomez and the vet split the gms. play. Invest our money elsewhere ie pitching and a more consistent catcher for number one role, while Lavarnway matures and work on his batting.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Get Berkman, he would be a whole lot cheaper coming off an injury and the guy can hit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i agree with ths...i'd take laroche.

[/QUOTE]

Think the Sox can keep him more than a month this time?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Remember when Boston won both WS titles, their line up were half lefties and righties.  

2004 = Manny, Millar, Mueller, Veritek (SH), Orlando C., along with Mirabelli, Kapler, Youkilis, Burks, etc

Lefties were Papi, Belhorn, Damon, Nixon, Veritek (SH), etc

2007 = Manny, Veritek, Lowell, Dustin P., Lugo, Youkilis, along with Cora, Mo Pena

Lefties were Papi, Crisp, Drew along with Ellsbury, Hinske, etc.

Do you see that the line up have more power on the right side than the left side.  

That is why Boston need to go after hard on mostly right handed hitters, not left handed hitter.  

Therefore, they should go after hard at Napoli, resign Ross or sign Ryan L., etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember when Boston won both WS titles, their line up were half lefties and righties.  

2004 = Manny, Millar, Mueller, Veritek (SH), Orlando C., along with Mirabelli, Kapler, Youkilis, Burks, etc

Lefties were Papi, Belhorn, Damon, Nixon, Veritek (SH), etc

2007 = Manny, Veritek, Lowell, Dustin P., Lugo, Youkilis, along with Cora, Mo Pena

Lefties were Papi, Crisp, Drew along with Ellsbury, Hinske, etc.

Do you see that the line up have more power on the right side than the left side.  

That is why Boston need to go after hard on mostly right handed hitters, not left handed hitter.  

Therefore, they should go after hard at Napoli, resign Ross or sign Ryan L., etc.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Ben knows what he is doing, we just have to trust his instincts. By all accounts, he has great baseball mind and understands our needs and is very good at player evaluation. I'm sure he has someone in mind if it's not Ross.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

"Should the Red Sox pursue? No. LaRoche is going to cost too much in years and average salary to be worth it for Boston. Investing in a 33-year-old off a career year doesn't win you championships."

Prov. Journal

[/QUOTE]

Over the past 3 years, Napoli has a .875 OPS and LaRoche a .788.

LaRoche plays just 1B, while Napoli can give us 55 games v lefties at catcher.

LaRoche is 2 years older.

I much prefer Napoli.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.