is PAPI now ahead of YAZ+only barely trailing #9 all-time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

is PAPI now ahead of YAZ+only barely trailing #9 all-time?

papi is really pushing his iconic stats up. one more ring or run and he'll b #1 all-time sox (sorry but owning RINGS matter). after that, talking ahead of da likes of tommy the brady, birdy+bobby orr. then just trailing da immortal billy russell... no1 will top russ.. period!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: is PAPI now ahead of YAZ+only barely trailing #9 all-time?

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

papi is really pushing his iconic stats up. one more ring or run and he'll b #1 all-time sox (sorry but owning RINGS matter). after that, talking ahead of da likes of tommy the brady, birdy+bobby orr. then just trailing da immortal billy russell... no1 will top russ.. period!

[/QUOTE]

If I remember, Yaz had a glove and played here for 23 +- years.......  A tripple crown too.......  Heck, it would be an injustice to put PAPI before YAZ  !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Yaz will always be #1 with me!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Loved Yaz as a kid.  But Papi has accomplished more for the Sox.

People used to love to talk about how "clutch" Yaz was... but after '67, not so much. A 1978 popup comes to mind.

Yaz played on so great teams too, so don't use that one. Papi with his mind-boggling clutch hitting over 10 years and 3 WS wins.  Winner, all day, every day

Playing a nice left field doesnt make up the difference.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I didn't know there was a competitition between Papi, Yaz, and Ted.  They all played for the same team, and in different eras.  I root for them all.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Loved Yaz as a kid.  But Papi has accomplished more for the Sox.

People used to love to talk about how "clutch" Yaz was... but after '67, not so much. A 1978 popup comes to mind.

Yaz played on so great teams too, so don't use that one. Papi with his mind-boggling clutch hitting over 10 years and 3 WS wins.  Winner, all day, every day

Playing a nice left field doesnt make up the difference.

He had two big hits that game. Look at his post season average. And he could play leftfield and first base. And won a few goldgloves in left. He doesn't have a ring because they lost to better and more talented teams in the WS. 67 Cards, 75 Reds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Papi is #1 in the postseason.

Yaz is ahead of him in regular season play.

Can we agree on that?

If they had the wild card in Yaz's time, maybe the larger sample size would have afforded him the opportunity to some heroics.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He had two big hits that game. Look at his post season average. And he could play leftfield and first base. And won a few goldgloves in left. He doesn't have a ring because they lost to better and more talented teams in the WS. 67 Cards, 75 Reds.

One could say we beat better & more talented teams in 2004, 2007, and 2013 thanks mainly to Papi's heroics, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

David Ortiz is the greatest Red Sox player of all time. 

Big hit after big hit to get us 3 World Championships. 
    He ended "1918" chants.

he scoffs at jaws of defeat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I remember, Yaz had a glove and played here for 23 +- years.......  A tripple crown too.......  Heck, it would be an injustice to put PAPI before YAZ  !!!

[/QUOTE]

Yaz was a 1bman/DH not much of a glove. He was also the ultimate compiler of stats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I prefer to think of it more as a Mount Rushmore than heirchal ranking.  No doubt, in my mind anyway, Papi has carved himself now in both the Rushmore of Sox, and Rushmore of Boston Sports as a whole.  I dont care to ranke them, for a myriad of reasons.  But he belongs in the same breath with Orr/Bird/Russell/Yaz/Williams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yastrzemski didn't get as many chances to play in postseason, there was no East and West....so no ALCS, there was no ALDS....there was no Wildcard teams.

Yaz played for many seasons when the postseason was just the World Series.

You can't compare players from different eras, it is just not fair.

Ortiz heroics are legendary. But, still in all my years of following the team , I have not seen a year by a position player in baseball like what Yaz had in 1967. He carried the team, truly was not only MVP, he did it all....BA, HRs, RBI, DEFENSE. If not for Bob Gibson, he would have his ring. if not for Joe Morgan , he might have two. But the he never had the chance to get more. Not his fault.

Anyone who ever saw Bobby Orr play, wouldn't mention his name in the same breath with any other athlete in Boston sports history. I watched this man play with basically one knee for a number of seasons and he still was amazing. Ortiz as a hitter is as good as or better than many MLB players, it is debatable whether Cabrera , Pujols , Jeter or a Helton or any number of other players was better....in the NHL in 1966-1975 ( and he was not 100% for most of those years) - there was NO DEBATE, Orr was simply on a different level than not only every NHL player, but he was on a different level than any SUPERSTAR in the NHL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yastrzemski didn't get as many chances to play in postseason, there was no East and West....so no ALCS, there was no ALDS....there was no Wildcard teams.

Ortiz heroics are legendary. But, still in all my years of following the team , I have not seen a year by a position player in baseball like what Yaz had in 1967. He carried the team, truly was not only MVP, he did it all....BA, HRs, RBI, DEFENSE. If not for Bob Gibson, he would have his ring. if not for Joe Morgan , he might have two. But the he never had the chance to get more. Not his fault.

Anyone who ever saw Bobby Orr play, wouldn't mention his name in the same breath with any other athlete in Boston sports history. I watched this man play with basically one knee for a number of seasons and he still was amazing. Ortiz as a hitter is as good as or better than many MLB players, it is debatable whether Cabrera , Pujols , Jeter or a Helton or any number of other players was better....in the NHL in 1966-1975 ( and he was not 100% for most of those years) - there was NO DEBATE, Orr was simply on a different level than not only every NHL player, but he was on a different level than any SUPERSTAR in the NHL.

[/QUOTE] B I N G O , THAT, Zilly !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I prefer to think of it more as a Mount Rushmore than heirchal ranking.  No doubt, in my mind anyway, Papi has carved himself now in both the Rushmore of Sox, and Rushmore of Boston Sports as a whole.  I dont care to ranke them, for a myriad of reasons.  But he belongs in the same breath with Orr/Bird/Russell/Yaz/Williams.

[/QUOTE]

i say it russ, wills, ortiz, orr, BRADY, pierce, bird, yaz.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Zilla,

You're leaving out Bill Russell out of the conversation is a huge error. As much as Orr was one of the greatest of all-time and changed the game of hockey, Russell had the same impact in the NBA. For many years he was considered the best player of all-time and #1 on the all time list. But for me this entire discussion is silly, comparing players from different eras in one sport is difficult enough if not impossible and now we're comparing players of different era in different sports. Yikes !!  

"Anyone who ever saw Bobby Orr play, wouldn't mention his name in the same breath with any other athlete in Boston sports history".

This comment is silly as well. Bill Russell and Bobby Orr were in a league of thier own in thier respective sports. To say one was better than the other in thier respective sports cannot be done.  

Hetch

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Hope no one discounts what Yaz's fielding meant in his days playing left field. As well as covering lots of ground, playing the left field wall better than anyone I've ever seen he had a gun for an arm. Some stats from MLB record. Led all left fielders in assists 8 times, 2nd 3 more times and his 177 career assists are 3rd all-time.

Hetch  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said Zilla...I hate this pitting one player against another and the comparisons that some seem to constantly need to make.

Ortiz is a great DH..probably..no definitely..the greatest DH of all time...but you cannot compare a DH to an everyday player..and particularly when that player is someone of Yaz's calibur. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Who has meant more for his team during HIS TENURE with the team?  Yaz or Ortiz?  Really think about that question before answering it according to who your favorite is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who has meant more for his team during HIS TENURE with the team?  Yaz or Ortiz?  Really think about that question before answering it according to who your favorite is.

[/QUOTE]

King, 

That question for me is one to which I cannot draw a conclusion. Again, both played in completely different eras. Both were essential parts of thier respective teams and as someone else said you cannot compare Apples and Oranges.

Hetch 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

King, 

That question for me is one to which I cannot draw a conclusion. Again, both played in completely different eras. Both were essential parts of thier respective teams and as someone else said you cannot compare Apples and Oranges.

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from Hetch.  I just think that Ortiz's impact on his team is much bigger than that of Yaz.  Yaz only had 4 season in 23 years with more than 90 wins.  Ortiz was a LARGE part of EIGHT 90 win season in 11 years.  Yes I know that it is a team sport and a lot goes into it but take Ortiz off of the sox for those 11 years and take yaz off of his team and I really think that the impact of Ortiz not being there would be felt a lot more.....and that's not even getting into what he did in the post season.....