Is Tanaka on the horizon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Is Tanaka on the horizon?

A strong case could be made for any team with money to go after Tanaka, the latest Japanese pitching sensation. He's the starting equivalent of Koji:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/masahiro-tanaka-the-markets-best-starter/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Is Tanaka on the horizon?

la la la

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Heard his posting fee could go as high as 100M, THEN his contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

A strong case could be made for any team with money to go after Tanaka, the latest Japanese pitching sensation. He's the starting equivalent of Koji:

[/QUOTE]

The Sox don't need pitching that bad.

Let the Yankees take the risk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Some team will throw a lot of money at him, but it won't be the Red Sox. The Yankees might be a different story.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

We should do all we can to sign Kuroda! He is an animal, a warrior!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You never have enough pitching ...... The Red Sox have enough pitching.....  Thats my strong case.....Don't waste the money.........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You never have enough pitching ...... The Red Sox have enough pitching.....  Thats my strong case.....Don't waste the money.........

[/QUOTE]

boomerdummy wants to sign Tanaka and Kuroda... genius

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Uh, I don't think the posting fee is going to be anywhere near $100 mil. It is actually a very different system this year. There is no need to go that high although I've heard some are considering going as high as $73 mil but I don't see why they would. If you look into the new posting system it has interesting ramifications for those teams looking to participate. 

EnchiladaT now has the ability to type more than one post an hour. Yeah! Incredible improvement!

Whatever we do, we should just make sure to not have the best pitching staff in baseball right guys! 

You do realize we can trade excess pitching if we sign this guy and maybe get a middle of the order RH bat with Peavy as a significant piece for example, which for the most part isin't available in this year's FA class beyond Napoli and Hart which both are mediocre middle of the order bats at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Look at a lot of the Japanese pitchers and you will find a surprising number of successful players. Historically they have been probably better signs than American FA on a percentage basis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

Uh, I don't think the posting fee is going to be anywhere near $100 mil. It is actually a very different system this year. There is no need to go that high although I've heard some are considering going as high as $73 mil but I don't see why they would. If you look into the new posting system it has interesting ramifications for those teams looking to participate. 

EnchiladaT now has the ability to type more than one post an hour. Yeah! Incredible improvement!

Whatever we do, we should just make sure to not have the best pitching staff in baseball right guys! 

You do realize we can trade excess pitching if we sign this guy and maybe get a middle of the order RH bat with Peavy as a significant piece for example, which for the most part isin't available in this year's FA class beyond Napoli and Hart which both are mediocre middle of the order bats at best.

[/QUOTE]

It is actually a very different system this year.

RsP

R U sure it's a done deal

I heard of some possible changes including

the the player picking the team from the top 3 bids

but didn't think anything was finalized

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is actually a very different system this year.

RsP

R U sure it's a done deal

I heard of some possible changes including

the the player picking the team from the top 3 bids

but didn't think anything was finalized

[/QUOTE]

That hasnt been finalized yet zac, but your right. It will be the 3 highest bidders and the player will have his choice.

Heres a little something to follow up on my posting fee comment...

"The Texas Rangers had to pay $51.7 million just to talk to Darvish two years ago and some anonymous team executives told Yahoo’s Jeff Passan they expect Rakuten to collect between $75 million and $100 million in a posting fee."

So after its all said and done, a team will likey go close to, or north of 150M total.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Maybe we can get Mr. Fuji too?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe we can get Mr. Fuji too?

[/QUOTE]

nice old school WWWF reference +1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

That hasnt been finalized yet zac, but your right. It will be the 3 highest bidders and the player will have his choice.

Heres a little something to follow up on my posting fee comment...

"The Texas Rangers had to pay $51.7 million just to talk to Darvish two years ago and some anonymous team executives told Yahoo’s Jeff Passan they expect Rakuten to collect between $75 million and $100 million in a posting fee."

So after its all said and done, a team will likey go close to, or north of 150M total.

[/QUOTE]

thanks 777

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We should do all we can to sign Kuroda! He is an animal, a warrior!

[/QUOTE]

You would give up your first round draft pick for one or two years of Kuroda?  No way in H E double hockey sticks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

For every Hideki Irabu theres a Hideo Nomo, for every Dice K theres a Yu Darvish. No guarantee w/ Asian pitchers. If RS were desperate for starters could make a case to take the chance again. But the one position the RS have depth at is starting pitching so there is no way RS post a bid, they might make noises thay are interested but probably just to get Yankees to increase their offer. Just some gamemanship

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

After the Dice K fiasco there is no way this team is shelling out big money for a Japanese pitcher with no MLB experience anytime soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Nope, invest in Kids, Scouts, Player Development. This money you blow on so called Greats, from other Nations, is just as much of a gamble as our home grown. You Draft wisely, and develop, in the Farm, your Team gets better, because you pay the people, who make the youngsters better.

Dont fall in love with all the hype.

Cardinals that we beat, invest so heavily in Player Development its unreal. Not all their Players are 1st round Draft Picks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

My guess is he signs with the S.F. Giants! they cleared a lot of bucks off their books to sign someone big! If it's not Tanaka it could be Cano or Ellsbury...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After the Dice K fiasco there is no way this team is shelling out big money for a Japanese pitcher with no MLB experience anytime soon.

[/QUOTE]

Why include the word "Japanese"?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Did I visit an osterich farm or what! Open your minds people and actually read the Fangraphs article I posted. In the article, the author stated that he thought Tanaka was the best value starting pitcher available this year. And did a comp on him similar to Kuroda, only 25 years old. No pick lost and lots of the cash doesn't count towards the luxury tax limit.

I'll go out on the limb here and say I think the Redsox at least bid on the guy. And what if as expected the top 3 teams do put themselves into position for Tanaka to select one of them. All we need to be is in the top 3. Let's say it's us, Cleveland and the Yanks and the Yanks come in with a $71 mil negotiation bid while the Indians come in at $51 mil and we come in at $45 mil. In that instance for NYC to win the deal they would have to be selected by Tanaka to be the exclusive bidding team and also be on the hook for $71 mil plus whatever the player contract ends up being which is probably at least $50 mil. 

In other words there is tremendous incentive to be bidder #3. I think we probably take a flyer on this guy, for all the reasons cited. He is possibly the closest thing out there to Koji in terms of starting pitchers. We don't want another Koji who actually is a starter and only 25 years old?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

maybe u should try closing your mind a bit, you think and talk too much

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think going after tanaka would be a wise move for the sox. there will be guys available via trade (price and scherzer) but it would make more sense to use our chips to get stanton vs trading for a pitcher. tanaka has been better than dice k in japan and is only 24 or 25. for those who say we dont need pitching, keep in mind that lackey, lester, peavy, dempster are all free agents after this upcoming season. lester will likely be back, the others probably not. so having tanaka under contract  along with buchholz and then resigning lester will give us a strong core going forward. oh and he wont cost us a draft pick or any prospects. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why include the word "Japanese"?

[/QUOTE]

It's not the nationality of the player I have a problem with, it's the nature of the posting system. Paying $50 million or more just to negotiate with someone is ridiculous - I don't care who it is. After getting burned by Dice-K I have no great desire to see the Sox go down that road again either.