SWISHER RF
    MIDDLEBROOKS 3B
    GOMES LF/DH
    IGLESIAS SS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: Is this lineup appealing to you?

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ELLSBURY CF PEDROIA 2B MAUER C/1B NAPOLI 1B/C ORTIZ DH SWISHER RF MIDDLEBROOKS 3B GOMES LF/DH IGLESIAS SS

[/QUOTE]

Ross RF

Hamilton LF

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Not really..

- Twins arent going to trade Mauer

- Swisher is a punk

- Iglesias is awful in the lineup

would rather

Ells

Pedie

Morse

Papi

Ross

WMB

Gomes

Lavarnway

any other SS option

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

I like the idea of trading for Mauer to be or # 3 hitter.  But he should be the primary 1B to save his back and knees because he is a great hitter.  So Napoli would be redundant.  I'm not sold on Swisher because he strikes out too much, would be brutal in RF @ Fenway, and is looking for 4-5 yrs @ 15 million per.  Bring Cody back even if it has to be for the 3 yrs he wants.  He can play here and move to LF when Gomes is gone and hopefully Brentz is ready.  Scoring runs hasn't been this teams problem for a decade, with the exception of the triple-A team they fielded @ the end of last season.  Iggy will help the pithers tremendously.  Sign Haren and McCarthy or Marcum.

Ells CF, Pedroia 2B, Mauer 1B, Ross RF, Papi DH, Middlebrooks 3B, Kalish/Gomes LF, Salty/Ross C, Iggy SS.   Lester, Buch, Haren, Doubront, Marcum or McCarthy, Lackey. Bailey,Tazawa,Melancon, Miller, Bard, Breslow.  We could compete

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

You cannot have Mauer in your lineup and still have Lester, Buchholz, and Doubront in the rotation and Salty behind the plate, IMO.  Minny wants starters.  Any trade involving Mauer will have to include good ML starting pitching.  Plus, Minny would nead a catcher to share duties in their lineup.  Salty would be the one, over Lavarnway, IMO, as Salty has proven he CAN catch and be a productive bat in the lineup, just not over a full season.

So, it is probably realistic to expect that Mauer would cost us Lester and Salty.  If the Sox threw in Aceves or Morales, a top hitting prospect like Brentz or Cechhini, and a spare bullpen arm, such as Melancon, perhaps the Sox could land Mauer AND Morneau (who is gone in 2014 likely anyway).

If the Sox then signed Sanchez and Haren or Marcum, they would have 1B and C sewn up.  I would personally like to see Lavarnway start out in Pawtucket and brought up when he gets hot with the bat and given time at 1B, as well as C and DH.  The Sox would still need an OFer and I'd prefer an upgrade at SS over Iglesias, but if they had Ells, Pedroia, Mauer, Hamilton, Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Morneau, Kalish/Gomes then I think the offense could live with Iglesias at SS.

The starters would be:  Sanchez, Haren (or Marcum), Buchholz (or Lester), Doubront, Lackey, De La Rosa.

Bullpen:  Bailey, Tazawa, Miller, Morales (or Aceves) Breslow and Atchison or Hill. 

Good enough pitching to get them a playoff berth, IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

NO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You cannot have Mauer in your lineup and still have Lester, Buchholz, and Doubront in the rotation and Salty behind the plate, IMO.  Minny wants starters.  Any trade involving Mauer will have to include good ML starting pitching.  Plus, Minny would nead a catcher to share duties in their lineup.  Salty would be the one, over Lavarnway, IMO, as Salty has proven he CAN catch and be a productive bat in the lineup, just not over a full season.

So, it is probably realistic to expect that Mauer would cost us Lester and Salty.  If the Sox threw in Aceves or Morales, a top hitting prospect like Brentz or Cechhini, and a spare bullpen arm, such as Melancon, perhaps the Sox could land Mauer AND Morneau (who is gone in 2014 likely anyway).

If the Sox then signed Sanchez and Haren or Marcum, they would have 1B and C sewn up.  I would personally like to see Lavarnway start out in Pawtucket and brought up when he gets hot with the bat and given time at 1B, as well as C and DH.  The Sox would still need an OFer and I'd prefer an upgrade at SS over Iglesias, but if they had Ells, Pedroia, Mauer, Hamilton, Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Morneau, Kalish/Gomes then I think the offense could live with Iglesias at SS.

The starters would be:  Sanchez, Haren (or Marcum), Buchholz (or Lester), Doubront, Lackey, De La Rosa.

Bullpen:  Bailey, Tazawa, Miller, Morales (or Aceves) Breslow and Atchison or Hill. 

Good enough pitching to get them a playoff berth, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

The main idea for Mauer trade is to aborb big chunk of his contract.  I believe Mauer is still owed almost $140M and small market team "Minny" will be happy if they can unload about $100M.  With saved money, they now can go out look for an front line starter.  I bet Minny would be more interested in Lava than Salty because of the age and status and potential.  I believe Doubront may have to be included but I'm willing to give up for 6 yrs of Mauer.  And we still have money to fill Doub's spot.

I know the Twins are firm on staying put with their star but keeping their most priced player without improving their team with small budget won't solve the problem any time soon.  If huge money is involved in the trade and the Twins are getting young valuables for return, they might have change of heart IMO.

Propose would be something like- Lavarnway, Doubront, Cecchini, and Rubby for Mauer plus cash

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NO

[/QUOTE]

I would love to see what you can come up with.. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Ross

Lavarnaway 

Gomes

Ciriaco/Iglesias

Focus on improving the pitching this year, then next year make a big name signing or trade for a middle of the lineup bat, and bring on up Brentz, Bradley, and Boegarts. Also will be interesting to see what they can get out of De La Rosa this year, hope he pans out. Kalish and Gomez make good trade pawns, as does either Salty or Lavarnaway. Ellsbury being traded mid season could be wise as well, unless they are somehow contenders.

I'm personally content with the Sox rolling out that lineup next year, even if it means no playoffs. The future could be bright as long as they don't trade everyone away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I would like Hamilton cause he can 2 birds with one stone play LF and papi retires/ leaves Boston. Josh can take over the DH spot.

Sign Lance Berkman (one year deal) switch hitter and trade for young 1B Hosmer from KC

Resign Cody Ross for RF

Spend more money on pitching getting Lohse and Marcum. The Sox will need to give a starter for Hosmer.

Ells CF, Ped SS, MiddleBrooks3B,Hamilton LF, Papi DH, Cody Ross RF, Hosmer 1B, Ross C and Isglesias SS ( think about defense) back up Berkman (switch hitter /1B) Gomes (LF) and Ciriaco (INF) outfield Nava Sweeney Kalish.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

ELLSBURY CF PEDROIA 2B MAUER C/1B NAPOLI 1B/C ORTIZ DH SWISHER RF MIDDLEBROOKS 3B GOMES LF/DH IGLESIAS SS

[/QUOTE]

NO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NO

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias can't hit, Swisher s*cks, Napoli s*cks, Gomes s*cks.

Addition by subtraction? I wouldn't bother to tune in if this is our best lineup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NO

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias can't hit, Swisher s*cks, Napoli s*cks, Gomes s*cks.

Addition by subtraction? I wouldn't bother to tune in if this is our best lineup.

[/QUOTE]

You are amazing calling all those players suck.. very keen eyes and scrutinizing skills.. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Mauer has a full no-trade clause.  He also has 6 years, $138 million left on his contract.  Unless Minnesota eats up at least half of the contract, I do not want Mauer. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like Hamilton cause he can 2 birds with one stone play LF and papi retires/ leaves Boston. Josh can take over the DH spot.

Sign Lance Berkman (one year deal) switch hitter and trade for young 1B Hosmer from KC

Resign Cody Ross for RF

Spend more money on pitching getting Lohse and Marcum. The Sox will need to give a starter for Hosmer.

Ells CF, Ped SS, MiddleBrooks3B,Hamilton LF, Papi DH, Cody Ross RF, Hosmer 1B, Ross C and Isglesias SS ( think about defense) back up Berkman (switch hitter /1B) Gomes (LF) and Ciriaco (INF) outfield Nava Sweeney Kalish.

[/QUOTE]

Nava,Sweeney,Kalish......Maybe Dodgers can take them.Back-up outfielders? yes way way back as in other side of the fence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mauer has a full no-trade clause.  He also has 6 years, $138 million left on his contract.  Unless Minnesota eats up at least half of the contract, I do not want Mauer. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow! If Red Sox have $138M to burn on Mauer, why not take a chance on a very creative Hamilton contract?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

808-----I would agree a very creative contract with a couple of Opt-Out options after years 1,2, and 3 of a 5 year deal. If he goes crazy hitting 40 and hitting over .300 after year one perhaps he feels he can be a $30M guy. --Start with $25 for 5 with the OptOuts and clauses including trade inclusions and clauses for substance abuse problems.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

808-----I would agree a very creative contract with a couple of Opt-Out options after years 1,2, and 3 of a 5 year deal. If he goes crazy hitting 40 and hitting over .300 after year one perhaps he feels he can be a $30M guy. --Start with $25 for 5 with the OptOuts and clauses including trade inclusions and clauses for substance abuse problems.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I was thinking the same thing.---- Since we are on the topic, I'll take a stab at a contract that he won't accept, but is along the lines of what you said.

I would guarantee 3/60 with the options and potential bonuses to get to 6/144, which is closer to what he is looking for. His base woud be 3/54 with a $2m payout per each of the 3 option years.

His bonuses would kick in at 500 AB (2012 he had 562 in 148 games):

$2M for 38 hr (or pick a good number)

$2M for .900 OPS (or pick a good number)

$1M for 575 AB

$1M for AL MVP or Silver Slugger

Attainable potential of $24M per year.

Option year 4 automatically kicks in if he reaches 500 AB in year 3 and gets either of the $2M bonuses. Similar for Option years 5 and 6. Otherwise, the Red Sox can choose to extend him or buy-out the remainder of his contract.

The Josh clause:

1 incident due to drugs or alcohol is a $2M reduction in pay.

2nd incident is another $2M and the Red Sox have the option to void his contract immediately. Buy-out is voided as well. If his ocntract is not voided, every year is an option year.

I can be flexible on the number of AB's where his bonuses kick in, but it should be relatively high. Wouldn't want him to have 100 AB's and get hurt for the rest of the season and collect $2M because he had a .900 OPS.

Josh's agent seems to be fairly reasonable, but this contract is probably the last thing he would consider, even if the AB's are lowered for bonuses. Must have opt-outs for substance abuse.

Yes, I know. No one would accept this contract, but Josh is a unique individual in alot of ways.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Hamilton

LaRoche

Middlebrooks

Ross

Lavarnaway

Iglesias

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I prefer 

jake, Pedroia, Crawford, Ortiz, Agon, Middlebrooks, Ross, Salty, iggy....

however that boat has sailed. So what is needed are replacements for CC and Agon.

i'd be happy with Napoli 4 years and Hamilton 4 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, they aint'a gonna.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Appalling? Yes.