IS WAKEFIELD A HEX ON THE RED SOX?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

IS WAKEFIELD A HEX ON THE RED SOX?

Is Wakefield a hex on the Red Sox for his continuing quest to reach the 200th win?  IMO, I think so because Theo/Francona keep running Wakefield out there to start games when they perhaps should be starting others, without me having to name them all, who could pitch as good as, if not better than Wakefield.  Currently, it seems as tho the Red Sox, from management on down to the players are so intent on Wakefield reaching the 200 win platform, that winning the division, or wild card is secondary to Wakefield getting his 200th win.  It's like a dark cloud hanging over the team.  Put Wakefield back in the BP, and let him try to get his 200th as a long reliever where I think he as had some success at.  Wakefield is an old warrior who has contributed positively to the Red Sox over the years, but it's past time when Wakefield moves on to a permanent job as a long reliever, or for that matter, retire.  I don't think Wakefield can't  be to happy with his recent attempts to reach 200, which has been to much of a media, and perhaps a club house focus.  GO SOX DESPITE THEO AND FRANCONA!   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: IS WAKEFIELD A HEX ON THE RED SOX?

Wakefield would not start yesterday if Beckett wasnt hurt as well Miller and Bedard continues to pitch well consistantly.  Now two out of these three pitchers will be missing a start or two or three at the same time Miller just recently got bombed last week.  So what choice should Tito do, call up three minor league pitcher to replace these pitchers, and leave Wakefield in the bullpen??

You know for sure that two out of these three minor leaguers will get bomb!!!  

Come on, Wakefield was just lucky to be able to start yesterday.  Tito isnt moving back Aceves to the starting rotation cuz he have been pitching very well as a middle reliever.  Tito would love to save his arm as much he can for the post season.  Same goes to Bard and Papelbon.

Let it go, Boston just do not have any more choice left.  Remember Wakefield missed alot of his start as well he did move back to bullpen when all five starting pitchers were all able to stay healthy together for some point of the season until injuries popped up!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He's becoming a pain in my @55.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Name the name of a starter option who has done better and "would have done better"...  (Note: 3 are already scheduled to start soon: Lackey, Miller & Weiland)

2010-2011 numbers:

WHIP  tERA SIERA  ERA
    Miller  2.01   6.59   5.11   6.47
    Weil    1.67  5.20   5.25    5.66
    Doub  1.64   4.48   4.23    5.22
    Bowd  1.59  4.31   4.01    4.03 (Turned into a reliever)
    Lack   1.48   4.65   4.27    5.08
    Wake 1.34   4.58    4.52   5.15

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

For sure the choices are many.

Sadly, they are all bad.

It's getting harder to find good pitchers than it is to find good politicians...

...well, almost!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sign me up.  7 shots at #200 and the 8th coming up.  Moonslav's numbers can be safely ignored because we are talking about a hex here.  We are in the middle of groundhog day and don't know it.  This is never going to end. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This is much Francona's fault as it is anyone. Sure, The RS want to see Wake get his 200th as much as Weake wants to get it. But Francona has made it most evident. Particularly last night when he pulled Wake after just 92 pitches, when he should have sent him out for the 6th. He showed no confidence in Wake whatsoever and essentially dismissed him.
    He should appproach Wakefield's start just like any other.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I thought this was fairly common knowledge among Red Sox fans, but apparently not ...

Tim Wakefield was never supposed to be in the rotation. His role was to be long relief and an occasional start. But Matsuzaka has been out since the middle of May, Buchholz since mid-June. And now Beckett, who will miss at least one turn.

If anyone has a better option, I'd love to hear it.

Oh, and a final point: Wakefield's ERA is still nearly a full point better than Lackey's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

OK, so kick Wakefield off the team, even though he isn't the worst pitcher in the rotation.  Because as is 100% evident, last night's game is completely Wake's fault.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Moonslow is dishonest in his reflex cut and paste on every Wastefield thread. Both Weiland and Doubrant IP are so tiny that Moonslow should be banned for a fraud in the inducement. Weiland had 2 starts and the last one was solid at 6IP and 3 ER, with the other bad start a result of beanball 0's soap opera carry over. 

With roster expansion, an overworked Aceves should be used as a spot starter for 4 or 5 innings until the "just being cautious" Bedard and Beckett are back.

Wastefield should have been embarrassed management enough by now, but they are more focused on hollow 200 bean count PR than on the business at hand. No way this team should be trailing the Yankees.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: IS WAKEFIELD A HEX ON THE RED SOX?:
    [QUOTE]Moonslow is dishonest in his reflex cut and paste on every Wastefield thread. Both Weiland and Doubrant IP are so tiny that Moonslow should be banned for a fraud in the inducement. Weiland had 2 starts and the last one was solid at 6IP and 3 ER, with the other bad start a result of beanball 0's soap opera carry over.  With roster expansion, an overworked Aceves should be used as a spot starter for 4 or 5 innings until the "just being cautious" Bedard and Beckett are back. Wastefield should have been embarrassed management enough by now, but they are more focused on hollow 200 bean count PR than on the business at hand. No way this team should be trailing the Yankees.   
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

You think a management team paying Lackey $16 million is going to be embarassed by Wakefield???? 

Granted Wake isn't the most desired person that you would want to see on the mound, but he's better than Lackey at a fraction of the cost.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IS WAKEFIELD A HEX ON THE RED SOX? : You think a management team paying Lackey $16 million is going to be embarassed by Wakefield????  Granted Wake isn't the most desired person that you would want to see on the mound, but he's better than Lackey at a fraction of the cost.  
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    Clearly you don't get it. Wakefield is responsible for all problems, including last night's loss, Hurricane Irene, the economy, pestilence ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Lackey 2010 was poor but better than Wastefield. Lackey isn't 45 years old, so perhaps they feel that Lackey pitching a good game can beat a good team but Wastefield can't so they booster seat Wastefield away from Yankees and towards A's. Of course, that hasn't worked either.

You should be embarrassed by a management team that has either produced nothing on the farm or what is on the farm is not being utilized. Wastefield pitching is an admission of poor player development.

Wastefield is like an old race horse with a bad leg. Best thing to do is just shoot Wastefield and put him out of his misery. Guys 45 years old with 5 plus ERA over 2 years aint gettin' better.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Wakefield is not a hex. The old man still pitches while the younger ones are dropping like flies from injuries. Injuries are what is hurting the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the----yazzer. Show the----yazzer's posts

i don't know if WAKE is a hex, but i do know that jd crawford is an albatross.
    crawford should not only sit against lefties, but also against any opposing pitcher who throws over 91 mph.

good-bye theo; not making the PO'S and the CRAWFORD signing should put an end to your reign here in boston. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]  Name the name of a starter option who has done better and "would have done better"...  (Note: 3 are already scheduled to start soon: Lackey, Miller & Weiland) 2010-2011 numbers:          WHIP  tERA SIERA  ERA Miller   2.01   6.59    5.11    6.47 Weil    1.67  5.20    5.25     5.66 Doub  1.64    4.48     4.23     5.22 Bowd   1.59    4.31   4.01    4.03  (Turned into a reliever) Lack    1.48    4.65    4.27      5.08 Wake  1.34     4.58     4.52    5.15
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

"moonslav", I agree that stats play a big role in managing a game, but I also believe that there is other factors that play a big role in managing a game, and that is for a Manger to have a feel for the game.  I think that most might agree that Wake was not sharp in the first 4 innings on the mound last night, and to Francona's credit he did finally pulled Wake in the 6th when, I think, many wanted to pull Wake before he got his 5 in, and gave up 5 runs.  Another example would be the 8th inning when Francona let an ineffective Bard stay in to pitch to Bautista instead of bringing Paps in to pitch to Bautista, with the game on the line.  In both instances, a Manager would need to have a feel for Wake's and Bard's effectiveness, which I don't think Francona did.  I also don't think that what I'm saying is second guessing Francona, who for whatever reason, which may be valid or not, decided to keep Wake in to pitch the 5th (trying to give Wake his 5 innings), or an ineffective Bard to pitch to Baustista with the game on the line, with the Stankees already losing.  As a result, we lost another opportunity to pick up a game in the all important loss column.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

09/07@ TORL 10-115.03541332122291----5.03
    09/02vs TEXL 0-104.0300003571557----4.95
    08/26vs OAKL 5-154.08842239102490L(6-6)--5.10
    08/20@ KCL 4-95.194400311102497----4.97
    08/14@ SEAL 3-58.095412417133694L(6-5)--4.90

DATEOPPONENTRESULTIPHRERHRBBSOGBFBTBFPitDec.Rel.ERA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBfan67. Show BBfan67's posts

YES!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedatVLS. Show RedatVLS's posts

Wake's still good for 8-12 wins a year, if he starts.  Granted he's probably good for 8-12 losses, but his value to the Sox, just in terms of $$ per win, is ridiculously higher than that of Lackey or (obviously) Daisuke.  Throw in the fact that he's done a little of everything for the team (including his "team-friendly" contract), and you've got an above-average 4th or 5th guy.

A couple/three blown saves, untimely errors, and weak/late run support have kept him from 200.  Is he a jinx?  Heck no, the team does poorer when they take him out of the rotation!

Cheers,

RedatWickedImproper

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

The old man still pitches while the younger ones are dropping like flies from injuries. Injuries are what is hurting the team

It's too bad Wastefield hasn't dropped like his waistline, as it would prevent management from a near automatic loss by putting Timmy in his booster starter seat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]The old man still pitches while the younger ones are dropping like flies from injuries. Injuries are what is hurting the team It's too bad Wastefield hasn't dropped like his waistline, as it would prevent management from a near automatic loss by putting Timmy in his booster starter seat.

It's been the bullpen that has been near automatic loss lately. Or those all important starts by the youthful Miller. Youth must be served!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]  Name the name of a starter option who has done better and "would have done better"...  (Note: 3 are already scheduled to start soon: Lackey, Miller & Weiland) 2010-2011 numbers:          WHIP  tERA SIERA  ERA Miller   2.01   6.59    5.11    6.47 Weil    1.67  5.20    5.25     5.66 Doub  1.64    4.48     4.23     5.22 Bowd   1.59    4.31   4.01    4.03  (Turned into a reliever) Lack    1.48    4.65    4.27      5.08 Wake  1.34     4.58     4.52    5.15
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

What about all of the unearned runs Wakefield gives up due to the knuckler and PB's. He gives up lots of hits and HR's that are unearned runs, but he's not able to get out of the innings. Throw that data into your analysis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Yes. Isnt it true that if Wastefied hits a batter, throws a WP and gives up a triple then no runs are earned;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stipe7676. Show stipe7676's posts

[QUOTE]Moonslow is dishonest in his reflex cut and paste on every Wastefield thread. Both Weiland and Doubrant IP are so tiny that Moonslow should be banned for a fraud in the inducement. Weiland had 2 starts and the last one was solid at 6IP and 3 ER, with the other bad start a result of beanball 0's soap opera carry over.  With roster expansion, an overworked Aceves should be used as a spot starter for 4 or 5 innings until the "just being cautious" Bedard and Beckett are back. Wastefield should have been embarrassed management enough by now, but they are more focused on hollow 200 bean count PR than on the business at hand. No way this team should be trailing the Yankees.   

I had been enjoying your posts, even if I didn't totally agree with them...but there is no need to attack another poster (i.e. "Moonslow") now being somewhat new, maybe they have attacked you before, but you should try to stay above the fray. As a side note... Aceves as a starter has never really worked out so well, and he is much better suited for the role he is in. I understand your frustration with Wakefield, but I don't think taking a guy out of a solidly carved role is the answer. Anyway..I wasn't saying you were wrong (not knowing the history) but just saying that your posts are solid and namecalling seems a bit beneath you. Have a good night:0)

25. This post has been removed.