It certainly won't happen, but if the Yankees offered Brett Gardner for John Lackey, would you bite?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

It certainly won't happen, but if the Yankees offered Brett Gardner for John Lackey, would you bite?

I would be all in.  Thanks for GAME 6 John, but I would love to see Gardner leading off.

Ben just mentioned that if you trade within the division, then you want to get $1.50 for your dollar.  If you look at their WAR numbers in 2013, then this would be exactly $1.50 (4.2 WAR for Gardner, 2.8 WAR for Lackey).

Gardner is UFA after the 2014 season. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: It certainly won't happen, but if the Yankees offered Brett Gardner for John Lackey, would you bite?

gardner sucks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: It certainly won't happen, but if the Yankees offered Brett Gardner for John Lackey, would you bite?

Fangraphs had both players valued at 3.2 WAR

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nah.  The offense can absorb a slight downgrade  and loss of Ellsbury and still be highly effective.  But, the staff can't absorb the loss of Lackey.  So, a straight up deal, in my mind, would mean we have to then go out and pony up for a starting pitcher of equal quality as Lackey.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Jake Peavy (2.4 WAR) for Gardner?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now we are talking.  Hahaha

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

I would not be opposed to acquiring Gardner, but he would need to be considered a very significant upgrade over JBJ to give up two years of one of our top three starters (not to mention you are giving NYY an affordable # 2 solution for their rotation woes) - I would pass.  Peavy, on the other hand, I would consider.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And of course, Dempster (1.3WAR) for Gardner?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the yankees rotation si a house of cards. I'm not giving them anything let alone help in that regard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gardner also squeezes one of Carp,  Nava, or Gomes off the roster...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the yankees rotation si a house of cards. I'm not giving them anything let alone help in that regard.

[/QUOTE]
    That's a really good point.  The Yankees NEED a pitcher (or three) much more than the Sox need a player like Gardner, so why help them?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    That's a really good point.  The Yankees NEED a pitcher (or three) much more than the Sox need a player like Gardner, so why help them?

[/QUOTE]

HIGH FIVE!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I think that you guys are vastly under-rating Gardner.  He was 4.2 WAR last year, 3.7 in 2011 and 7.0 (!!) in 2010.  He missed most of 2012 with an injury, but was off to a sizzling start (16 games, .804 OPS, .417 OBP).  He would give the Sox everything they need from a CF'er: GREAT defense, a high OBP guy and speed at the top of the lineup.

He is going for his free agent contract and probably wants Ellsbury money.  The Sox would most certainly offer him the QO after the season and would pick up a sandwich pick (plus the $$ draft slot next year).  This would also allow the Sox to go after Tanaka (or another starter). 

I don't know why we haven't seen more Tanaka threads.  Since the posting bid has been reduced to $20 MM and if he gets posted, maybe he would want to join Uehara, Tazawa and the World Series Champs!

Lackey had a great 2013 season, but can the Sox expect the same production in 2014? 

I have said it before and will say it again, Lackey is not going to play for the minimum in 2015 (and he is making $16.5 MM in 2014). He will require a contract extension or a 'redo' of his 2015 contract, paying him in the 10 MM range (or more) for 2015 or a longer term deal with slightly under market rate (12-14 MM).

That being said, this thread was for fun.  There is no way that Cashman would trade Gardner to the Sox, and Ben wouldn't consider trading their #2 starter to the Yankees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Gardner also squeezes one of Carp,  Nava, or Gomes off the roster...

[/QUOTE]

Or JBJ to AAA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dempster, Carp, and Betts for Gardner

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldnt give NY a good starter. Not for Gardner...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have said it before and will say it again, Lackey is not going to play for the minimum in 2015 (and he is making $16.5 MM in 2014). He will require a contract extension or a 'redo' of his 2015 contract, paying him in the 10 MM range (or more) for 2015 or a longer term deal with slightly under market rate (12-14 MM).

And I'll say it again, Lackey will play in 2015.

I do think the Sox might restructure his deal to lessen the cap hit for 2013, but he will only get a raise equal to about the interest he could have made on this year's salary...something like this:

from

$15.25M in 2014 and 0.75M in 2015 (Total $16M)

to

$8.5M in 2014 and $8.5M in 2015 (Total $17M)

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to 3 years:

2015: $9.5M

2016: $9.5M

2017: $10M

but I don't see this as paying him extra for 2015. It would actually just paying him $13M for the extra year and spreading out the payments.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Lackey, and I wouldn't think twice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldnt give NY a good starter. Not for Gardner...

[/QUOTE]

Thats why Dempster is a good choice

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that you guys are vastly under-rating Gardner.  He was 4.2 WAR last year, 3.7 in 2011 and 7.0 (!!) in 2010.  He missed most of 2012 with an injury, but was off to a sizzling start (16 games, .804 OPS, .417 OBP).  He would give the Sox everything they need from a CF'er: GREAT defense, a high OBP guy and speed at the top of the lineup.

He is going for his free agent contract and probably wants Ellsbury money.  The Sox would most certainly offer him the QO after the season and would pick up a sandwich pick (plus the $$ draft slot next year).  This would also allow the Sox to go after Tanaka (or another starter). 

I don't know why we haven't seen more Tanaka threads.  Since the posting bid has been reduced to $20 MM and if he gets posted, maybe he would want to join Uehara, Tazawa and the World Series Champs!

Lackey had a great 2013 season, but can the Sox expect the same production in 2014? 

I have said it before and will say it again, Lackey is not going to play for the minimum in 2015 (and he is making $16.5 MM in 2014). He will require a contract extension or a 'redo' of his 2015 contract, paying him in the 10 MM range (or more) for 2015 or a longer term deal with slightly under market rate (12-14 MM).

That being said, this thread was for fun.  There is no way that Cashman would trade Gardner to the Sox, and Ben wouldn't consider trading their #2 starter to the Yankees.

[/QUOTE]

Unless they redo his contract, I GUARANTEE Lackey will honor its current terms.  He might not be happy about it, but you can take this to the bank: he WILL honor it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Unless they redo his contract, I GUARANTEE Lackey will honor its current terms.  He might not be happy about it, but you can take this to the bank: he WILL honor it.

He seems like a regular guy.  I'm not sure why anyone would assume he would try to break his contract.  Not just him, but I think most people tend to keep their word.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now we are talking.  Hahaha

[/QUOTE]

You mean demster right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

How many ways can I say "absolutely not"?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah... he kinda is playing for league minimum next year... soc got fked out of two years and they were smart enough to see it coming and hedged bets.  John Henry is a hedge fund manager for a reason and Lackey is absolutely playing for league minimum next year because we were smart.  Sorry Lackey... u signed the contract and didn't give us a refund when u were injured... karma is a beeeothch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HIGH FIVE!

[/QUOTE]

Hey MEF!  :-)