It certainly won't happen, but if the Yankees offered Brett Gardner for John Lackey, would you bite?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: It certainly won't happen, but if the Yankees offered Brett Gardner for John Lackey, would you bite?

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah... he kinda is playing for league minimum next year... soc got fked out of two years and they were smart enough to see it coming and hedged bets.  John Henry is a hedge fund manager for a reason and Lackey is absolutely playing for league minimum next year because we were smart.  Sorry Lackey... u signed the contract and didn't give us a refund when u were injured... karma is a beeeothch.

[/QUOTE]

Since we're just voicing opinions here, I don't see it happening.  I DO think Lackey would honor his contract if he had to, and I DO also think the FO could hold him to it if they were so disposed, but I don't think he's playing in 2015 for the minimum.

IMHO they will renegotiate a contract for him with a reduced salary for 2014.  He's under contract for $17M for 2014 & 2015 combined ($16.5 + .5).  I see a one year extention through 2016 for ~$27M, $9M each year.  $9M in 2014 lowers our liability toward the luxury tax by $7.5M and if he has any reasonable performance he's tradeable with a $9M salary in 2015 or 2016 if the FO wants to.

Yes, it spends a little more money over the first two years but it gives the Sox another year of control over him AND provides another year of security along with another $10.5M for Lackey. Win, win.  And it does away with the potential for any 'clubhouse issues' in 2015.  Win, Win, Win.

JMHO   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: It certainly won't happen, but if the Yankees offered Brett Gardner for John Lackey, would you bite?

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unless they redo his contract, I GUARANTEE Lackey will honor its current terms.  He might not be happy about it, but you can take this to the bank: he WILL honor it.

He seems like a regular guy.  I'm not sure why anyone would assume he would try to break his contract.  Not just him, but I think most people tend to keep their word.

[/QUOTE]

I can't remember any baseball player doing that-signing a contract then sitting out and refusing to honor it. I know some football players have held out, at least for the first six games or so, but who was the last baseball player who signed a contract in good faith then failed to honor it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Since we're just voicing opinions here, I don't see it happening.  I DO think Lackey would honor his contract if he had to, and I DO also think the FO could hold him to it if they were so disposed, but I don't think he's playing in 2015 for the minimum.

IMHO they will renegotiate a contract for him with a reduced salary for 2014.  He's under contract for $17M for 2014 & 2015 combined ($16.5 + .5).  I see a one year extention through 2016 for ~$27M, $9M each year.  $9M in 2014 lowers our liability toward the luxury tax by $7.5M and if he has any reasonable performance he's tradeable with a $9M salary in 2015 or 2016 if the FO wants to.

Yes, it spends a little more money over the first two years but it gives the Sox another year of control over him AND provides another year of security along with another $10.5M for Lackey. Win, win.  And it does away with the potential for any 'clubhouse issues' in 2015.  Win, Win, Win.

JMHO   

[/QUOTE]

I was a bit harsh earlier.... sorry for the tone.

I think what it gives the Sox is all the leverage.  I think they will let him play out the year and if he looks good... extend.  If he looks poor, you have a league minimum s tarter.  I like the idea of getting more years, but they will have to find a way to lower the average annual value for the luxury tax purpose.  The incentive for the sox comes by lowering annual value off a year that costs 500k but counts for over 10 mil against the cap because they average all years on a contract.  That counts bonus years and this is counted as that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

No thanks. I'm happy with the OF, and why would I give the Yankees a great pitcher who helped us win a championship?

I'd like to keep this team together as much as possible. I think there's magic there. These guys know and love each other, and are used to playing together and winning together. Their season -- even without a championship was phenomenal. They always found a way to win, usually with a different player every game. That doesn't always happen. 

I said I thought it would be fun for us to get Cano, but would I want that if it meant we lose Pedroia? Hell no. Pedroia has more heart and soul than Cano, and again, was an intricate part of this team's championship. No Yankee primadonnas for me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unless they redo his contract, I GUARANTEE Lackey will honor its current terms.  He might not be happy about it, but you can take this to the bank: he WILL honor it.

He seems like a regular guy.  I'm not sure why anyone would assume he would try to break his contract.  Not just him, but I think most people tend to keep their word.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, afterall, he got paid $15.25M for that season he did not play. That's what this clause was all about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the yankees rotation si a house of cards. I'm not giving them anything let alone help in that regard.

[/QUOTE]

thank you.  end of discussion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Lackey?.........no...........minor league guy..sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldnt give NY a good starter. Not for Gardner...

[/QUOTE]

Thats why Dempster is a good choice

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt even give them Demp. I give them nothing. Wait...They can have Steven Wright

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

absolutely not

let the yankees pitching staff EAT CAKE!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

absolutely not

let the yankees pitching staff EAT CAKE!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees had a thin and questionable pitching staff last year. They have now lost 4 of their top 8 pitchers in Pettite, Hughes, Rivera and Logan. They have added nothing in trade or FA.

I have this dream that the owner of the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles went to Harvard where he became a huge American baseball fan and an even bigger Boston Red Sox fan. And when he and Tanaka negotiate a posting fee possibility, he tells Tanaka that he was expecting 70 million. He will now only accept 50 million meaning that Tanaka must promise to pay him 30 million out of his own pocket. The one exception is that if he signs with his beloved Red Sox, he will except 30 million meaning Tanaka only has to pay him 10 million out of his own pocket.

That could give us the advantage needed to beat the Yankees in a bidding war. A guy can dream. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would be all in.  Thanks for GAME 6 John, but I would love to see Gardner leading off.

Ben just mentioned that if you trade within the division, then you want to get $1.50 for your dollar.  If you look at their WAR numbers in 2013, then this would be exactly $1.50 (4.2 WAR for Gardner, 2.8 WAR for Lackey).

Gardner is UFA after the 2014 season. 

[/QUOTE]

NO WAY!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

With the way Lackey pitched this year he just might go 16-7 next year... you make the Yankees a much better team  and weaken your own.

No.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I would trade for Gardner but not Lackey for  Gardner---perhaps Gomes for Gardner. If there could be a 72 hour window to work out an extension perhaps WMB and /or a PTBNL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that you guys are vastly under-rating Gardner.  He was 4.2 WAR last year, 3.7 in 2011 and 7.0 (!!) in 2010.  He missed most of 2012 with an injury, but was off to a sizzling start (16 games, .804 OPS, .417 OBP).  He would give the Sox everything they need from a CF'er: GREAT defense, a high OBP guy and speed at the top of the lineup.

He is going for his free agent contract and probably wants Ellsbury money.  The Sox would most certainly offer him the QO after the season and would pick up a sandwich pick (plus the $$ draft slot next year).  This would also allow the Sox to go after Tanaka (or another starter). 

I don't know why we haven't seen more Tanaka threads.  Since the posting bid has been reduced to $20 MM and if he gets posted, maybe he would want to join Uehara, Tazawa and the World Series Champs!

Lackey had a great 2013 season, but can the Sox expect the same production in 2014? 

I have said it before and will say it again, Lackey is not going to play for the minimum in 2015 (and he is making $16.5 MM in 2014). He will require a contract extension or a 'redo' of his 2015 contract, paying him in the 10 MM range (or more) for 2015 or a longer term deal with slightly under market rate (12-14 MM).

That being said, this thread was for fun.  There is no way that Cashman would trade Gardner to the Sox, and Ben wouldn't consider trading their #2 starter to the Yankees.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have a choice the Sox might choose to resign him and sweeten his deal but in the end he got paid handsomely by the Red Sox for an entire season to rehab on thier dime and I doubt that he or his agent will take exception to him honoring his contract. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dempster and a bowl of Clam ChowDAH for Gardner.   :)