It's a 2 yr bridge, not 1 like people think. Signing Greinke and Hamilton now is not the same as signing Agon and Crawford....here is why

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I read where people are comparing signing Greinke and Hamilton to the signings of Crawford and Agon. It's not...when we signed those 2 guys we had an already high payroll with a lot of vet long term contracts, and very little in cheap farm talant on the horizon. We have a really deep and talented farm but it is not, as people say, a yr away. More like 2 or 3 yrs away before they can step in and make an impact. And I believe they will, but not untill at least 2014... Or more likely 2015. We should sign Greinke and Hamilton for 5 yrs apiece to give a shot to compete for a title while we still have Lester, Papi, Pedey, Buch, Ells etc...at the end of 2014 we will free up a ton of payroll. Papi, Lester, Ells, Lackey, Ross, Gomes will all be gone....that' s 60/65 mil being replaced by Boggy, Barnes, Bradley, etc....nice cheap studs. In 2015 Greinke and Hamilton will prob not be worth what we will be paying them, but we should have a ton of really cheap impact players that will off set their costs. This time is not the same as a few yrs back when Theo mis managed the teams payroll. He had no choice, there was no cheap talant on the horizon. We can win now....and for and be very competitive in the future if we sign these 2, do it Ben.....don't listen too the pundits

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

A very good point but can Greinke and Hamilton have success in this enviroment?  Both player's carry some excess baggage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

A very good point but can Greinke and Hamilton have success in this enviroment?  Both player's carry some excess baggage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont like Grienke in Boston, at all. Hamilton would be nice on a 3-4 year deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to bigdog1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

These guys are both very, very mentally strong men to have overcome the problems they did when they were young men. It would have, and has destroyed lesser athletes, and peoples lives. Playing the game of baseball.....in Boston, or anywhere for that matter is nothing to them at this point in their lives. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont like Grienke in Boston, at all. Hamilton would be nice on a 3-4 year deal.

[/QUOTE]

Of course there are risks....but we need a 1/2 guy, not another 3/4 pitcher. He is the only top pitcher out there. Forget Sanchez, Marckum, and all the rest...not even close to Greinke as a pitcher. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course there are risks....but we need a 1/2 guy, not another 3/4 pitcher. He is the only top pitcher out there. Forget Sanchez, Marckum, and all the rest...not even close to Greinke as a pitcher. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Greinke in Boston would be similar to the Yankee move of Ed Whitson in the 1980s. he could not deal with the pressure of New York.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

THe biggest flaw in this is that it ignores the existence of the talent the Sox already have...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

THe biggest flaw in this is that it ignores the existence of the talent the Sox already have...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would like to have Hamilton but only for the right dollars and years (four years, $100 million tops)

Some GM out there is going to give Hamilton his dollars and years.  So Boston might be outbid by another team.  Or maybe Cherington will surprise us all and sign him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would like to have Hamilton but only for the right dollars and years (four years, $100 million tops)

Some GM out there is going to give Hamilton his dollars and years.  So Boston might be outbid by another team.  Or maybe Cherington will surprise us all and sign him. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hamilton has baggage so lets make sure he takes his baggage with him and doesn't leave it in some hotel in Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hamilton has baggage so lets make sure he takes his baggage with him and doesn't leave it in some hotel in Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It might be worthing noting that both Sanchez and Marcum have better ERAs over the past 3 season.  And better ERA+.  Did you know that Greinke was #50 in ERA over the past 3 seasons?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

I read where people are comparing signing Greinke and Hamilton to the signings of Crawford and Agon. It's not...when we signed those 2 guys we had an already high payroll with a lot of vet long term contracts, and very little in cheap farm talant on the horizon. We have a really deep and talented farm but it is not, as people say, a yr away. More like 2 or 3 yrs away before they can step in and make an impact. And I believe they will, but not untill at least 2014... Or more likely 2015. We should sign Greinke and Hamilton for 5 yrs apiece to give a shot to compete for a title while we still have Lester, Papi, Pedey, Buch, Ells etc...at the end of 2014 we will free up a ton of payroll. Papi, Lester, Ells, Lackey, Ross, Gomes will all be gone....that' s 60/65 mil being replaced by Boggy, Barnes, Bradley, etc....nice cheap studs. In 2015 Greinke and Hamilton will prob not be worth what we will be paying them, but we should have a ton of really cheap impact players that will off set their costs. This time is not the same as a few yrs back when Theo mis managed the teams payroll. He had no choice, there was no cheap talant on the horizon. We can win now....and for and be very competitive in the future if we sign these 2, do it Ben.....don't listen too the pundits

[/QUOTE]

Now that Napoli is in Boston and the possibilty that he may sign a 4 year deal. I am not a big fan to have Napoli in Boston, but he will be a better low risk then Hamilton. Napoli will not be our FT catcher but he can play that role if need be. Signing Napoli to 4 year deal is an advatage because;

(1) Keep Ross as our FT catcher better defensive catcher

(2) This gives the option to trade Salty for good consistent reliever or put Salty in a package deal to get Justin Upton to Boston. Why Upton is my thought is he can generate aprox. 100 runs along with Ellsbury will create more runs for the Sox. If Ells can rebound from unfortunate injuries will be OK in my books.

(3) The top of the order will be a good line up Ells Ped Upton Napoli Papi

(4) signing Napoli over Hamilton will kill 2 birds with one stone catching and 1B and we can still see the young players develop at a better pace

(5) signing Napoli to 4 year deal advantage is when papi's contract expires Napoli can take the DH reigns and hopefully in 2 years time Lavarnway will be better and more mature catcher

The Sox batting order and depth would be much stronger with napoli and Upton:

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

RF Upton Kalish and Sands

3B Middlebrooks and Ciriaco

SS Isglesias and sign a veteran SS who will sign one year deal and play back up role

2B Ped and Ciriaco

1B Napoli and Sands and sign Berkman to one year deal for back up and pinch hiiting

C Ross and Lavarnway with Napoli

The batting order will be above avg. :

Ells Ped Upton Napoli Papi Middlebrooks Gomes Ross and Isglesias

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now that Napoli is in Boston and the possibilty that he may sign a 4 year deal. I am not a big fan to have Napoli in Boston, but he will be a better low risk then Hamilton. Napoli will not be our FT catcher but he can play that role if need be. Signing Napoli to 4 year deal is an advatage because;

(2) This gives the option to trade Salty for good consistent reliever or put Salty in a package deal to get Justin Upton to Boston. Why Upton is my thought is he can generate aprox. 100 runs along with Ellsbury will create more runs for the Sox. If Ells can rebound from unfortunate injuries will be OK in my books.

(4) signing Napoli over Hamilton will kill 2 birds with one stone catching and 1B and we can still see the young players develop at a better pace

(5) signing Napoli to 4 year deal advantage is when papi's contract expires Napoli can take the DH reigns and hopefully in 2 years time Lavarnway will be better and more mature catcher

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

SS Isglesias and sign a veteran SS who will sign one year deal and play back up role

2B Ped and Ciriaco

1B Napoli and Sands and sign Berkman to one year deal for back up and pinch hiiting

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

2B Ped and Ciriaco

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

2B Ped and Ciriaco

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

2B Ped and Ciriaco

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

2B Ped and Ciriaco

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

2B Ped and Ciriaco

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

2B Ped and Ciriaco