It's time to stop accusing Jose Bautista of being a drug cheat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

It's time to stop accusing Jose Bautista of being a drug cheat

by Ken Rosenthal /FoxSports:

It’s pretty much understood that mainstream baseball writers botched the early coverage of players’ steroid use. Some of my columns for The (Baltimore) Sun in the late 1990s were downright embarrassing — not willfully ignorant, but sadly naïve.

I’m not about to make excuses; we all should have done better. But looking back, if I had gone to one of my editors and said, "I want to write extensively about steroids in baseball," I'm fairly certain the response would have been, "Great. Which players are you talking about?"

And that would have been a problem — a big problem.

I could not name players who might be using performance-enhancing drugs; I had no proof. Players could speculate. General managers could speculate. We all could speculate. But to actually write in a newspaper that a player might be using, well, that would be risking libel.

It was a journalistic line that one simply did not cross.

And now, only a decade or so later, that line gets crossed over and over again.

It is not right. It needs to stop. Commentary about a player using PEDs — without any actual evidence of that use — is simply unfair.

I fully recognize that I'm shouting into the wind, that standards today are more relaxed, and there's no turning back.

Doesn't matter.

The Blue Jays' Jose Bautista, the major league leader in home runs, should not face repeated questions — in print, from established news outlets — about whether his mid-career surge is legitimate or fueled by PEDs.

If Bautista tests positive, it's a story. If Bautista is linked to PEDs through a government investigation, it's a story. But if Bautista keeps hitting home runs without a hint of wrongdoing, it's a baseball story, nothing more.
    People are going to be cynical — cynicism, unfortunately, is a byproduct of the Steroid Era. I’m not saying that all players are clean. I'm not saying that baseball’s drug-testing policy, purported to be the toughest in professional sports, is perfect. But the proper standard in our country — journalistically and ethically — is innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

As Craig Calcaterra of NBCSports.com rightly points out, baseball writers used to say in the early 2000s that unless there is steroid testing, all players will be under suspicion — yet now, even after the implementation of testing, all players remain under suspicion anyway.

How is that fair?

Let me go back to June 2009, when I appeared on ESPN’s "Outside the Lines" to discuss an article written by a blogger named Jerod Morris on the Midwest Sports Fans site. I reacted angrily on the program to Morris' suggestion in his article that Raul Ibanez's fast start at age 37 generates "suspicion that the numbers are not natural."

I was not happy walking out of the studio that day; I thought I sounded too cranky, as if was a father lecturing his son. My anger was not directed at bloggers, though that was how many interpreted it. My anger stemmed from the diminished standards — something for which the blogosphere is partly, but not entirely, to blame.

Last season, when Bautista was on his way to a major league-high 54 homers, Damien Cox of the Toronto Star, wrote, "You've got to at least ask the question when it comes to Jose Bautista." And just last week, John Harper of the New York Daily News wrote of Bautista, "Let's just hope he’s legit."

Well, yeah, of course. But at this moment, there is no reason to believe that Bautista isn't legit, other than the fact that he's putting up big numbers. And sorry, that's hardly reason enough to cast doubt upon a man's integrity.

If the majors were high school, what would the yearbook look like? We take a glance at baseball's best of the best.

Believe me, I’m not a Pollyanna on this subject — quite the contrary. If you’ve read me before, you know that when it comes to steroids, I'm more of a hawk than a dove.

I was disgusted by the union's failure to act sooner on PEDs, disgusted by how the drugs warped competition and put non-users at a disadvantage. Like most fans, I've been disappointed by players who said they were one thing and turned out to be another.

Doesn't mean you hold a grudge.

Doesn't mean you assume the worst in everyone.

Doesn't mean the standards of decency and fairness no longer apply.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: It's time to stop accusing Jose Bautista of being a drug cheat

to accuse Bautista or anyone else without proof is one thing; to be suspect is another. the fact MLB has implemented testing doesn't mean players haven't moved on to other substances that there aren't tests for. when something is too good to be true, it usually is.....so the beat goes on

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

The two players that stand out is Brady Anderson and Brett Boone...but this Jose kide is unbelievable...his swing reminds me of Soriano from cubbies...well kindof...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In this era anytime a guy hits an unusual amount of homeruns over a short period of time people are going to point fingers.

It is a direct result of all the media attention this subject has received.

Wouldn't it be a riot if the guy was clean but was secretly corking his bats? Everyone is testing his urine and forgetting to check his bats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The act of writing an article to say "stop linking Bautista to steroids" actually just links Baustista to steroids.  If you want people to stop talking about something, stop talking about it.

Rosenthal has stated that he will not vote for players from the steroid era during their first year of HOF eligibility.  Which is basically doing the same thing he is condemning in this article.  What a hypocrite.

"Doesn't mean you hold a grudge.

Doesn't mean you assume the worst in everyone.

Doesn't mean the standards of decency and fairness no longer apply."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Rosenthal never impressed me as a guy who I care to listen to anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't know if it's steroids, but if there's a 30-year old guy who increased his production 400%, and is now hitting 100 points over his average, is a journalist supposed to shrug his shoulders and say "He must have tweaked his batting stance"?  Whether its steroids or something else, there's a story here; Rosenthal isn't being noble by ignoring it - just lazy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

They should do everything in their power to understand how Bautista has been able to improve so much.  If Bautista is not taking PEDs, then whatever he is doing or did during the off-season should be copied by everyone in baseball.

If a racing team suddenly went from the middle of the pack to head and shoulders ahead of everyone else, then you can bet the governing body would be going over the race car with a magnifying glass trying to discover how they were able to improve.

If a corporation's earnings improved like Bautista, they'd become a case study, taught in every business school.

The truth is, the MLB doesn't want to catch palyers taking PEDs.  It's to everyone's interest to allow the players to take HGH and steroids.  Taking HGH and steroids has not hurt the game in the least - only the public's knowledge that players took PEDs hurt the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Here's a well written analysis from August of last year on the subject of Bautista's power surge and possible reasons (other than steroid use) for his turnaround.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/08/24/peering-into-jose-bautistas-power-surge/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

AGREED DWL. MLB DOESNT WANT TO KNOW. THEY CAN BLAME THE PLAYERS UNION ALL THE WANT, BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS MONEY. ONLY WHEN IT HAD BECOME APPARENT SOMETHING HAD TO BE DONE,  DID THEY PUSH FOR THE TESTING POLICY.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

From the outside everything now a days is a little suspect but I would like to give Bautista the benefit of the doubt baseball is just as much mental as it is physical and the end of the 2009 season could have been the point that finally gave him the confidence that he needed to propel himself into superstar status.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

HGH is not tested because the MLBPA will not allow it. Thus, Bautista has only his peers to blame for rightfully being viewed with scepticism.

Tiger Woods has most certainly been taking PED's since long before his professional career started. The modern sports era earned the clowd. Golf, also, due to the players, has no test for HGH. Woods' Doctor Galea has been indicted for PED trafficing which involved HGH cocktails for treating athletic injuries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The circumstantial case around Woods is pretty complelling.  The Galea association as you point out, although Galea has contacts with lots and lots of athletes.  Woods definitely put on some serious muscle and now he is breaking down rapidly and at a young age for his sport.  Also, the kind of ego and arrogance it took for him to have the number of affairs he had, is pretty consistent with the kind of ego and arrogance seen by the Bonds, Clemens, Palmiero's of the world.

I don't know what PGA testing is like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

leave the guy alone until there is some proof, Bartolo Colon..........another story altogether his rotator cuff and elbow were shot 3 years ago now he throws 97 again......... what the ph uk

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Something doesn't add up with him so I'm going to assume he's on something. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

If you look at Bautista, he doesn't have that muscular look that PED users have, so at this point I'm leaning towards him being as clean as the average baseball player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: It's time to stop accusing Jose Bautista of being a drug cheat:
    [QUOTE]leave the guy alone until there is some proof, Bartolo Colon..........another story altogether his rotator cuff and elbow were shot 3 years ago now he throws 97 again......... what the ph uk
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

colon has a pretty good alibi

all you have is your bias

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: It's timte to stop accusing Jose Bautista of being a drug cheat:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's time to stop accusing Jose Bautista of being a drug cheat : colon has a pretty good alibi all you have is your bias
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]Zac personally I would not be at all shocked if HGH was used to accelerate the healing process from the procedure. IMO it should be no big deal and all the major sports should allow for the use of steroids and HGH for recovery from injuries.

Then again my inner libertarian says legalize and let the guys do what they want to. In that environment they'd do it under supervision and it would mitigate risk. Used in proper cycles and moderation these drugs do help with recovery from injuries and there is little proof when used that way they pose any more of a threat than most prescription drugs.

Like most prohibitions guys go underground and then go nuts with ridiculously long cycles that are dangerous.

I know some people worry about the sanctity of MLB records. Personally I am not worried if somebody breaks Ruth's records from the Apartheid League days. And even Hank Aaron's record is from a different time. 4 man rotations where the hitter might see 1 reliever in a game. The advance scouting was crude. And while nobody knows just who was, 75% of baseball was all jacked up on amphetamines. 

IMO opinion the media just fuels this with baseball because baseball fans will eat it up. You hardly read or hear anything about PEDs in the NFL and anybody who thinks 70% of those guys aren't using PEDs, well...don't let me interrupt your bliss.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

as always, great stuff my fellow libertarian

we can go on for pages on why the record books

need to be explained era by era to our grandkids

of course neither of us would be shocked by much on the topic

but in the spirit of trash talk

I reserved the right, to believe this story 100 % 

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2011/05/bartolo_colons_doctors_offer_t.html               

www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2011/05/bartolo_colons_doctors_offer_t.html">MLB investigator reviews video of procedure on Yankees pitcher Bartolo Colon

May 25                    "Soon after Major League Baseball launched a probe, the doctor who helped revive Bartolo Colon's career invited investigators to review video of the controversial stem-cell treatment done on the arm of the Yankees pitcher, convinced that the footage would exonerate his medical team of any wrongdoing. Apparently, a baseball official has taken up the doctor's invitation. Leonel Liriano, a physician based in the Dominican Republic, confirmed in an e-mail to The Star-Ledger today that an investigator from Major League Baseball has already reviewed video of the procedures done on Colon's right elbow and shoulder. According to Liriano, the video shows that doctors did not use human growth hormone"                                

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The Players on the PGA Tour will not allow testing for HGH. You can guarantee that the PED abusers like Woods are behind this self policing policy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

people have every right to question bautistas use of performance enhancing drugs. The guy is like 30 years old and has been a low average hitter with a little bit of pop. His average homers per year is like 15. Now he is hitting like .360 and is on pace to break bonds' home run record after hitting 54 last year. All because he tweek his batting stance? Tweeking your batting stance does not translate into a player going from a below average hitter to an allstar at the age of 30. And think about it, even if he did test positive do any of you actually think the mlb will say he did? It is way easier to just ignore it than it is to say ya he tested positive, the guy who led the league in homers last year used ped's. And ya as one of you mentioned the mlb does not test for hgh and i am sure there is other drugs they dont test for eithier.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

And think about it, even if he did test positive do any of you actually think the mlb will say he did? It is way easier to just ignore it than it is to say ya he tested positive, the guy who led the league in homers last year used ped's.

yeah I kinda of think they would

at worst force him to retire

And ya as one of you mentioned the mlb does not test for hgh and i am sure there is other drugs they dont test for eithier  

yeah but you are talking about the difference between

blood & urine testing, only 1 allowed by the union 

besides testing for HGH is so much more complicated

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya but my point is that the mlb does not test for it. so jose bautista could be passing all his mlb mandated drug tests while being on hgh. But as far as the mlb is concerned he would be considered clean. I just dont believe that a guy could transform into an allstar player putting up unreal numbers at age 30 just by tinkering with his batting stance. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: It's time to stop accusing Jose Bautista of being a drug cheat:
    [QUOTE]ya but my point is that the mlb does not test for it. so jose bautista could be passing all his mlb mandated drug tests while being on hgh. But as far as the mlb is concerned he would be considered clean. I just dont believe that a guy could transform into an allstar player putting up unreal numbers at age 30 just by tinkering with his batting stance. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with any of that

I just thought you went to far with your cover up allegations

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]ya but my point is that the mlb does not test for it. so jose bautista could be passing all his mlb mandated drug tests while being on hgh. But as far as the mlb is concerned he would be considered clean. I just dont believe that a guy could transform into an allstar player putting up unreal numbers at age 30 just by tinkering with his batting stance. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
     Well, then one can assume that if it is that easy for Bautista to beat the system and use hgh, then there are many more players doing the same thing. Unless, of course, only he knows the secret to beating that system.