Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

All of you forum experts were drilling me about JBJ making the team, etc. Well guess what boys? After today's game, his fate has been sealed. He will be the starting LF (or CF depending on Ellsbury's injury). 

Keep calling me a Yankee fan (wrong again), but I called this one two weeks ago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

The legend grows: Red Sox wanted to test Bradley against elite pitching. So, 1st AB, JBJ belts three-run homer off Cliff Lee.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Jackie Bradley Jr. I can't believe no one's talking about him yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

All of you forum experts were drilling me about JBJ making the team, etc. Well guess what boys? After today's game, his fate has been sealed. He will be the starting LF (or CF depending on Ellsbury's injury). 

Keep calling me a Yankee fan (wrong again), but I called this one two weeks ago.

i'm beginning to think they might start him.. at least until Papi gets healthy, as it stands now they can DH Gomes and play JBJ every day

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

NO KIDDING!  How has this kid flown under the radar all ST :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Who?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I agree with ADG et. al.......   JBJ for president!!!  

Let's just hope he never sees the minors again!  Go with him, and stay with him!!!!

I could really get behind this team with JBJ on the starting roster.  Play the kid every day, and let the chips fall where they may!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Who?

i'm not sure..gotta go read up on this guy..can't find any info on this guy here on this site....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Who?

i'm not sure..gotta go read up on this guy..can't find any info on this guy here on this site....

C'mon -- you have to have heard of Jack Bradley -- 22-year-old catcher, played for Cleveland in 1916. Went 0-3 with a strikeout.

I don't know why we want a guy with that career record starting, especially considering he's been dead since 1969.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

so much for control...a stupid idea anyway....we are talking years down the road

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Cool.

We will never have to talk about this again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's not us against you.  It's a question of making a decision based on spring training stats.  As a fan you really can't decipher anything from reading a ST box score.  He may just be MLB ready, and if the staff thinks he is and that he can handle MLB pitching then maybe he will be in the lineup.  I just don't think anyone can tell that better than the sox, me nor you.

I base my opinion on the odds of his experience, it doesn't mean I whole heartedly believe he isn't ready.  I just recognize I'm not in a position to make that call.  It also doesn't mean I'm not going to be rooting my butt of for the kid.  JBJ is making a HUGE case for himself, I'll admit that. The only point i have and others have been making is of cannot tell just because a guy is hitting good in ST.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

It's not us against you.  It's a question of making a decision based on spring training stats.  As a fan you really can't decipher anything from reading a ST box score.  He may just be MLB ready, and if the staff thinks he is and that he can handle MLB pitching then maybe he will be in the lineup.  I just don't think anyone can tell that better than the sox, me nor you.

I base my opinion on the odds of his experience, it doesn't mean I whole heartedly believe he isn't ready.  I just recognize I'm not in a position to make that call.  It also doesn't mean I'm not going to be rooting my butt of for the kid.  JBJ is making a HUGE case for himself, I'll admit that. The only point i have and others have been making is of cannot tell just because a guy is hitting good in ST.

Simple question: Is he a better option than Carp, Overbay, Nava and Gomes for LF? Gomes is the best option for DH.

And if guys don't hit well in Spring Training, should you ignore that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this post would make sense if ...

1) the same exact argument wasnt used against Will Middlebrooks to the send him back to AAA (so youk could keep his job - that proven to be embarrassingly wrong ...

2) that Larry Lucchino himself has said that the Sox have been too conservative in sending up younger players...case in point -

3) former Sox player AND GOLD GLOVE WINNER Josh Reddick said this past year that the Sox yo-yoing of him between the minors and the majors made it very difficult to find a groove and play with confidence

4) JB is the best player in Boston right now...and our signed outfielders and free agents are mostly underperforming decrepit old men...Vittorino is batting .150 and he should start over JB??? Really..

but yea Hugh, other than those points, youre exactly right about keeping JB in the minors

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm not saying that the right move is to keep him in the minors.  I'm just saying spring training stats can be very misleading.  The game is played differently and people are pitched to differently.  Like I said JBJ may very well be MLB ready, and is making a very strong case, he's even making a believer out of me.  I'm just saying that you can not evaluate a player who has never played in one regular MLB game from his first spring training.

That doesn't mean he isn't ready, I'm just saying I don't think we truly know that. And ADG the answer to your question depends.  you can't a guy like JBJ on the bench, so the question is will you get better value out of JBJ than you would out of Gomes.  I think JBJ is very soon going to be a much better player, but he may slump a little bit to start off the year, when pitchers pitch him differently he might struggle for a month before he makes adjustments or maybe 3 months.....or maybe we will continue to tear the cover off the ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

With that said, JBJ is definitely making a case or himself.  I didn't think he was going to make the team before even with a strong spring, but I dunno.  He is obviously better defensively and is knocking pretty loud.  I'll guess we will see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I'm not saying that the right move is to keep him in the minors.  I'm just saying spring training stats can be very misleading.  The game is played differently and people are pitched to differently.  Like I said JBJ may very well be MLB ready, and is making a very strong case, he's even making a believer out of me.  I'm just saying that you can not evaluate a player who has never played in one regular MLB game from his first spring training.

That doesn't mean he isn't ready, I'm just saying I don't think we truly know that. And ADG the answer to your question depends.  you can't a guy like JBJ on the bench, so the question is will you get better value out of JBJ than you would out of Gomes.  I think JBJ is very soon going to be a much better player, but he may slump a little bit to start off the year, when pitchers pitch him differently he might struggle for a month before he makes adjustments or maybe 3 months.....or maybe we will continue to tear the cover off the ball.

A reasonable , unbiased post. Not often seen in these parts. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

It will be awesome if he makes the club. I just don't won't to listen to any of you scream if he goes 0-10 or drops a crucial fly ball in Yankee Stadium. 

Any odds on the ones doing the screaming being the very same ones claiming all will be lost if he's not on the opening day roster?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It will be awesome if he makes the club. I just don't won't to listen to any of you scream if he goes 0-10 or drops a crucial fly ball in Yankee Stadium. 

Thats the funny part.

It's the same people that are hysterical about him making the team that will get hysterical if he is hitting 170 in mid April.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Thats the funny part.

It's the same people that are hysterical about him making the team that will get hysterical if he is hitting 170 in mid April.

Not necessarily.  If he is hitting .170 in mid April, it will be the others who will say , " See , I told you so."  None of us can predict the future , but seriously , what do you have to do to make the team ?  It is not as if Bradley is some unknown, who has had a hot spring.  He is fulfilling the potential that we thought he had.  Let's give him the shot. It certainly looks like he has earned it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Thats the funny part.

Not necessarily.  If he is hitting .170 in mid April, it will be the others who will say , " See , I told you so."  None of us can predict the future , but seriously , what do you have to do to make the team ?  It is not as if Bradley is some unknown, who has had a hot spring.  He is fulfilling the potential that we thought he had.  Let's give him the shot. It certainly looks like he has earned it. 

You have a point.  My point is that Bradley has become the poster boy for the angry Red Sox fan. Certain people don't even let things play out. They just get angry. March is too early to get angry.

I am fine with giving him a shot. I am not fine with slitting my wrists if he goes to Pawtucket for a month or two.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Thats the funny part.

You have a point.  My point is that Bradley has become the poster boy for the angry Red Sox fan. Certain people don't even let things play out. They just get angry. March is too early to get angry.

I am fine with giving him a shot. I am not fine with slitting my wrists if he goes to Pawtucket for a month or two.

Look , I have said , if they think the eleven days in Pawtucket is worth the extra year of control down the line, it makes business sense. But who knows what the situation will be at that time?  We are coming off an epic collapse in 2011 , and a dismal 2012 . We need to get off on the right foot this year.  Bradley has earned a spot in the starting lineup. So be it. 

25. This post has been removed.