1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Jackie Jensen

softy can't get anything right these days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

softy can't get anything right these days.

[/QUOTE]

I have him on ignore so I only see the nonsense he posts if someone replies to him. It's interesting that BDC  has the technology to block his posts to me, regardless of his nom de plume de jour. They obviously do it by his computer (I'm not a techie so my terminology is lacking.), which begs the question how does he keep getting back on after so many banishments? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jensen was number four and played right field. He was also a great running back for the Golden Bears of California if my memory is better than Softy's.

Maybe while we're at it we can celebrate Yaz as a great third sacker. I saw him play one game there and I believe he had at least two errors.

[/QUOTE]

Jackie Eugene Jensen was one of my favorites. Yes, he wore #4, and played right field.   Was a college football allstar/ played in rose bowl.  Came over from the Yankees.  He was one fast dude/ stole a lot of bases and hit triples. Was RBI king at least once as I remember. Was married to Zoe Ann Olsen, Olympic diving champ.  I think Dom DiMaggio played between he and Ted before jimmy came along, it I may be off on this one/ getting a little fuzzy, but you can always look it up.  I know he retired early, which broke my heart/ intense fear of flying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

Thank you Mr. Billge, I remember his fear of flying though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

My pleasure

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

thanks for the history lesson boys.  some interesting facts in this thread that I hadn't known about.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Welcome resignells. Same deal, fairly new poster, but long time reader. It can be addictive though, especially if you follow all four major sports. Good post!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Welcome resignells. Same deal, fairly new poster, but long time reader. It can be addictive though, especially if you follow all four major sports. Good post!

it was softy and it looks like hes been banned again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

But, but he seemed so mild mannered.  Have I been tooled?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I remember quite well watching Jensen play right field with Piersall in CF and Williams in LF.  And like so many others, I remember him being married to olympic diver Zoe Ann Olsen, his aversion to flying, and having played in the Rose Bowl for the University of California.
    But few remember him starting in the outfield on opening day 1951, and if you were to take his career stats along with the career stats of the other two outfielders on that opening day, you would have arguably the best outfield trio that ever played the game.   Care to guess who the other two were?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Mays and Mantle if u mean on other teams

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your answer is incorrect. Nice try.

Jensen  started in LF, opening day 1951, who were the other two outfielders that day?

I found it interesting. It might surprise you.  This trio if kept together would have been the best outfield ever.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think Jim Rice was the best 2Bman the Sox have ever had. Just compare his numbers to all the others.

It's hands down- no debate!

Tongue Out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your answer is incorrect. Nice try.

Jensen  started in LF, opening day 1951, who were the other two outfielders that day?

I found it interesting. It might surprise you.  This trio if kept together would have been the best outfield ever.

[/QUOTE]

Jensen played with Mantle and Dimaggio for one year, Joe D's last hurrah. He was running on fumes and bad heels since the magic elixers that had guys getting bigger, stronger and better after their 35th birthday hadn't been invented. The three of them together, had they played their peak seasons together, would have been something special.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

Open day was Williams, Dom Dimaggio and Clyde Vollemer with Jensen added later I think.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to practial's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Open day was Williams, Dom Dimaggio and Clyde Vollemer with Jensen added later I think.

[/QUOTE]

Practial, Dustcover / Jidgef is talking about his 1951 Yankee lineup and not the Red Sox. He seems to be confused. I thought that we were talking about Jensen in his Red Sox days but Dustcover / Jidgef is not. He is talking about 1951 when Jensen was on the Yankees. 

[/QUOTE]

I thought dustcover posed the question as a bit of a trivia riddle. I was only three or four years old then, but my baseball card collection in the years to come, like most guys in my age group, kept me very infromed about players from every team, not just the sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

The Yankee starting outfield  ( I believe) was Gene Woodling Joe Dimaggio and
    Mickie Mantel. Is this the answer you are looking for?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:b
    [QUOTE]

Wrong team however. The thread was about Jensen on the Red Sox in 1953. 

[/QUOTE]

I believe the thread title was JACKIE JENSEN.  And I posted the question as a teaser because I always found it interesting that Jackie played in the same outfield with 2 HOF'ers, Mantle and Joe D. on opening day 1951.

And for those too young to remember Jackie, or unfamiliar with the 'Golden Boy' of sports during that era, in college he played in the Rose Bowl and the College World Series.   As a baseball pitcher and outfielder, he helped California to win the inaugural College World Series in 1947. He pitched Cal to victory in the regional final by outdueling Bobby Layne of Texas, and in the championship, Cal defeated a Yale team featuring future President George Bush.

He later made a brief appearance in the MLB World Series while with the Yankees.

Truly a remarkable accomplishment for an all-time great player.