Jays Brett Lawrie hits umpire with helmet during tantrum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jays Brett Lawrie hits umpire with helmet during tantrum

From Yahoo.com:

Here's a link to the video:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/umpire-hit-brett-lawrie-helmet-full-beer-cup-071124898.html

Toronto Blue Jays slugger Brett Lawrie apologized later for his tantrum, and he seemed to mean it, but video of him slamming his batting helmet to the ground and it hitting umpire Bill Miller in the right hip is incriminating. Lawrie deserves a long suspension, and one is likely.

Adding to the miserable ending of Miller's night, a disgruntled fan in the stands at Rogers Centre tossed a mostly full cup of beer and hit Miller in the right shoulder (video swiped by Deadspin) as he walked off the field. No matter how poorly Miller might have called the final two pitches of Lawrie's at-bat — strike two appeared to catch even less of the zone than strike three — he doesn't deserve either reaction.

[Related: Astros' Carlos Lee shaken up after collision with umpire]

Umpires don't need the league to protect them from their own poor performance, but they do need protection from players and fans (or anyone) who flies off the handle. Miller seemed remarkably measured in his postgame comments:

''Upon seeing that he was ejected, he took several steps toward me and fired his helmet. It hit me in the right hip,'' Miller said.

''That's a bit extreme,'' Miller said.

It was, though Lawrie had stopped going berserk by the time reporters reached him:

"That was not my intention at all,'' Lawrie said. ''I've never, ever done anything to go at an umpire before in my life, and I didn't mean to tonight. I apologize for that.

''It's just my passion for the game,'' he said. ''I wanted to help my teammates out as best I could. That's the pride I have in this game. I leave my emotions out on the field.''

Getting thrown out of a one-run game (Toronto lost to the Rays 4-3) and incurring a suspension from the league helps the Blue Jays, how, exactly? And since when is it cool to lose your cool? Lawrie sure didn't make it look like an accident when he stepped toward the umpire and threw down his helmet. Lawrie completely obliterated his own point — getting balls and strikes called correctly — by throwing a fit (and some equipment).

Blue Jays manager John Farrell, who also got ejected after going out to restrain Lawrie and to argue with Miller's calls, took more umbrage with the umpiring than his 22-year-old losing control.

''The bat was taken completely out of Brett's hands, not only the 3-1 pitch but the 3-2 pitch as well,'' Farrell said. ''Those are not strikes.''

That's the best lesson we can take from the game, eh? That when things don't go your way, just mindlessly rage against the machine. By that logic, Lawrie should share some of the blame for inciting the fan to throw the beer at the ump. (And maybe he should.)

[Related: Mets' David Wright goes at it with manager Terry Collins]

At least by apologizing immediately, Lawrie should lessen the penalty that's coming. What will the MLB disciplinarian (Joe Torre) give him? Yadier Molina got five games for his spitting tirade at Rob Drake a season ago. Back in 2000, MLB suspended Carl Everett for 10 games for a head-butting quarrel with Ron Kulpa. When he was in the minor leagues, Delmon Young got 50 games for throwing his bat at an umpire. That was unquestionably intentional.

Lawrie should get at least 10 games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Jays Brett Lawrie hits umpire with helmet during tantrum

Lawrie was wrong.  OTOH there is no excuse for the brutal strike calls by Miller.  Two pitches that were nowhere near being strikes.  If umps can't call obvious balls and strikes there is a serious problem.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In watching the video the helmet was not thrown at the ump. Yes he threw it at the ground and it hit the ump. You never know which way a helmet will bounce when it is thrown. So IMHO a one game suspension would be enough.
    Then IMHO the ump needs a suspension for calling those pitches strikes. The first was bad the second was for retribution for "showing" Miller up on the first and probably what he said after the first one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Although he didn't throw the helmet directly at the Ump,he shouldn't have been throwing his helmet in the first place.Especially,that close to the Ump.I don't think Lawrie intentionally hit him,but he still hit him.IMO,he'll get at LEAST 7-10 games suspension.Bumping an Ump will get between 2-5 games and I believe this is worse.He'll probably appeal it down to a 5-6 game suspension

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I've never been a fan.  Since day 1, he gave me the impression of being a punk.  Didn't he hit a GW HR or Hit against us when he first got called up and over-celebrated?  Anyways, saw this coming a mile away and there will be more to come.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I just googled it and Vince Coleman got suspended for 7 games in 1990 for hitting an Ump with his helmet.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-06/sports/sp-255_1_7-game-suspension

It happened 22 years ago but it still might be something similar this time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Officiating throughout all of sports is absolutely pathetic.  It's a miracle that someone hasn't snapped and beaten one to a pulp yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Five games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am not fond of Lawrie, but the ump was a few feet away from where he threw the hemet and it took a wierd bounce as should be expected......a player throws a helmet and  he gets ejected....he doesnt get suspended.....so with the bounce and no intent.....I would give him 3 games. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Throwing the helmet was dumb even though the ump in fact made two ridiculous calls almost as if he wanted to provoke something.  It was a one run game in the 9th inning, and getting a pass could have been big. 

But the real culprits in that game were not the umpiring crew.  Nope, the culprits were the Toronto Blue Jays who lined up and proceded to shoot each other in the foot.  A 3 run rally, taking the Rays from 2 down to 1 up in the 7th, was the result of errors by the Toronto defense.  When your overall team performance is that bad, you basically got no beef with the umps even when one of them calls balls strikes. 

Most homeplate umps are conscientious but still miss calls.  Occasionally, however, it looks as though the calls are almost deliberately provocative.  Last night looked that way to me. 

If MLB gives him a big suspension, he's got no beef. Throwing his helmet that close to the ump was stupid and, really, provocative. 

But I do hope there is a discussion at high levels about some of these ball/strike calls. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

The back to back strike calls were awful, so a ticked off young ballplayer in ,absolutely understandable, frustration slams his helmet down, and it takes an erratic bounce, into a fat incompetent umpire. Result , Lawrie will be suspended, for a game or three. That's half the story settled.

The other half is , when are these blowhards like Miller going to be held accountable for awful ball and strike calls. The pitches weren't even close. the first bad call was outside by 4 inches, the second bad call was not only out of the strike wide, but it was also out of the zone high. What game was this idiot watching. Suspended. in my opinion Miller should be suspended for the same amount of time Lawrie is. Without the ridiculous calls by Miller, no way Lawrie throws his helmet. I am sick of these incompetent calls by umpires.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Lawrie threw his helmet in Miller's direction and whether he meant to hit him or not, deserves to be suspended. This cannot be excused.

That being said, I cannot blame him or Farrel for being angry. What was called strike three was clearly outside the zone. I've seen too many poorly called games recently. Not only is there a disparity of strike zones between umpires, but inconsistencies from batter to batter within games. MLB's reaction is generally to hand out suspension to those who protest too strenuously, while the underlying cause is barely, if ever, addressed. This should not be tolerated.

Maybe if umpires who can't call a game with some consistency were occasionally suspended without pay, there would be incentive for them to improve their craft. Unfortunately, as long as MLB continues to turn a blind eye to this problem, the only change will be for the worse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

that pitch was no where near the strike zone, i dont blame him for being upset.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Jays Brett Lawrie hits umpire with helmet during tantrum:
    [QUOTE]The back to back strike calls were awful, so a ticked off young ballplayer in ,absolutely understandable, frustration slams his helmet down, and it takes an erratic bounce, into a fat incompetent umpire. Result , Lawrie will be suspended, for a game or three. That's half the story settled. The other half is , when are these blowhards like Miller going to be held accountable for awful ball and strike calls. The pitches weren't even close. the first bad call was outside by 4 inches, the second bad call was not only out of the strike wide, but it was also out of the zone high. What game was this idiot watching. Suspended. in my opinion Miller should be suspended for the same amount of time Lawrie is. Without the ridiculous calls by Miller, no way Lawrie throws his helmet. I am sick of these incompetent calls by umpires.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]

Aussie.....I agree that Umps need to be judged more critically. IMHO he made that last strike call in retaliation for Lowrie walking toward first on the K call the pitch before....it is a standard belief that when a player does that he should be swinging at anything close the next pitch, but that last pitch was not even close...any player would have been upset.....and players throw their Helmets down all the time....this one just bounced wrong and hit the ump....that was bad luck for Lowrie since it has to cost him a suspension....but 7-10 games as some have suggested is totally unjustified.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

.it is a standard belief that when a player does that he should be swinging at anything close the next pitch

unfortunately it's true....but that's the problem - the umps want to be more of a part of the game then they are supposed to be.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

ESPN: 4 game suspension and an undisclosed fine.....Lawrie expected to appeal