JBJ on D&C

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

JBJ on D&C

After hearing this guy talk and looking at this body type I don't see him as a CF. He would be a nice LF even this year to go with Gomes. JBJ is already pretty dense and wants to add strength. He batted 3 in college and I definitely think he is going to add power.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: JBJ on D&C

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

After hearing this guy talk and looking at this body type I don't see him as a CF. He would be a nice LF even this year to go with Gomes. JBJ is already pretty dense and wants to add strength. He batted 3 in college and I definitely think he is going to add power.

You should watch him play CF before you say he should be in Left. The guy catches literally everything hit to CF.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Since when is hearing and looking at someone while they are being interviewed and not out on the field an indicator of where they will play???

I'll trust the scouting reports of the professionals over that opinion.  And for what it's worth there is an OVERWHELMING consensus that his defense is top notch out in centerfield. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It would be pretty nice if he added some pop though, who knows if he can....sounds like he has great plate disclipline though so I'm sure he will hit at least low double digits just from being a good hitter.....but we will have to wait and see. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

It would be pretty nice if he added some pop though, who knows if he can....sounds like he has great plate disclipline though so I'm sure he will hit at least low double digits just from being a good hitter.....but we will have to wait and see. 

He is built like a running back and is trying to add power which isn't typical for a CF leadoff type. Also this team hasn't put the high OBP in the middle of the lineup like Youk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

He is built like a running back and is trying to add power which isn't typical for a CF leadoff type. Also this team hasn't put the high OBP in the middle of the lineup like Youk.

What's wrong with a leadoff hitter that's getting on base 43% of the time? Maybe he turns out to be a Rickey Henderson type hitter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

You can play centerfield built like a running back.  Mike Trout anyone (or Mickey mantle for that matter)?  As long as it doesnt hurt your speed or ability to make a catch, there is no reason why a centerfielder has to be a Willie mcGee or something.  

As far as trying to build power, the game in 2013 has moved on from lead-off meaning all-speed-no-pop.  See Ellsbury, Trout, Bourn.  

As long as his braun doesn't take away from his agility/speed, and doesn't involve deer antlers,  it is only a plus to have him build strength/power.  I'll take 5 tools over 4 any day of the week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If he outgrows the position that is a different story, but a lot of athletes have projectable body's and EVERYONE his age is trying to put on a little muslce.  Every scouting report I have read, and every podcast I've listened to from scouts says that his range in center field is off the charts.......as long as that doesn't change, he's a centerfielder. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That doesn't come without saying if the Sox grab someone better to patrol centerfield that I would object to JBJ playing the corner spot....because i wouldn't 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That doesn't come without saying if the Sox grab someone better to patrol centerfield that I would object to JBJ playing the corner spot....because i wouldn't 

I think his arm would be absolutely wasted in Left. The kid has a plus arm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

cant wait to se this kid play anywhere at Fenway...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

my first choice for JBJ would be RF, operating under the assumption that we lock jacoby up long term.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

my first choice for JBJ would be RF, operating under the assumption that we lock jacoby up long term.

I think Jacoby's arm plays better in left. He really does have a weak arm for an outfielder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

I think Jacoby's arm plays better in left. He really does have a weak arm for an outfielder.

jacobys GG defense would be wasted in LF. If JBJ and Ells are on the same team. the only logical positioning is Ells in CF (LF is a waste of talent and he doesn't have the arm for RF) and JBJ in RF by virtue of his arm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I love this kid.  I mean, you never know, even at the almost-sure-thing level how someone is going to pan out.  But, I'm talking about disposition.  I have never heard anything from Jackie other than level-headed humility, intelligent insight, and fun-loving ease.  His approach and attitude are professional grade and taylor-made for Boston.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I think JBJ is a definate possibility for LF in late May onward. This is one reason they may not be that desperate for a left handed LF.

As for power, he has more power then some think. He hit a lot of homers in college. In Yankee Stadium I would project 20-22 homers a year in his prime. In Boston, it will likely be more like 15-18.

I view JBJ as one of the surest things in the minors. He has almost no questions.

BTW, good arms are not wasted in LF in Fenway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I like everything about this kid , but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  He still has to have success in AA and AAA.   He understands that.  We should too.  Patience is a virtue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I like everything about this kid , but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  He still has to have success in AA and AAA.   He understands that.  We should too.  Patience is a virtue.

Not true. First, many prospects have zero success in AAA before playing well in the majors. Secondly, he has already had success in AA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Not true. First, many prospects have zero success in AAA before playing well in the majors. Secondly, he has already had success in AA.

Interesting.  I hope I do not sound too skeptical when I ask who you are thinking of that had no success at AAA and then was succesful in the bigs.  This would be a cool revelation to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Have to laugh. Some people on here will disagree with anything , no matter how logical it may be.  I don't know which prospects you are referring to , but a lack of success in AAA is not a good indication of success in MLB.  That should be obvious. Anyway , I have no doubt that Bradley will be successful in AAA and in MLB. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Interesting.  I hope I do not sound too skeptical when I ask who you are thinking of that had no success at AAA and then was succesful in the bigs.  This would be a cool revelation to me.

I don't have the list in front of me. But there are probably examples every year and maybe 100's all total. Two that come to mind from this season were Andrelton Simmons and Manny Machado.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think JBJ is a definate possibility for LF in late May onward. This is one reason they may not be that desperate for a left handed LF.

As for power, he has more power then some think. He hit a lot of homers in college. In Yankee Stadium I would project 20-22 homers a year in his prime. In Boston, it will likely be more like 15-18.

I view JBJ as one of the surest things in the minors. He has almost no questions.

Anything but late May.....start him from opening day, or start him from mid-June, but don't burn a year of control for the sake of a few weeks.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Anything but late May.....start him from opening day, or start him from mid-June, but don't burn a year of control for the sake of a few weeks.....

Late May doesn't burn your year.