Jeremy Hazelbaker

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Jeremy Hazelbaker

It's too good to have too many OFs.  Bretnz is having a strong start as well.  Unfortunately they have to wait for an opening spot.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes a good 4th Of option. I dont think his stuff has translated well to MLB so far, but that may have changed. Maybe hes just a late bloomer. Didnt realize his power until last year. Before that he was just a slap hitter with great speed and decent defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

this kid just hit another bomb today. gerry callahan has been selling him strong! he's 26 and seems ready for a shot. hope to see him up soon! kiiling it at pawtucket.. raw power!

Speed, too!

Hazelbaker would make a nice 4th OF at the very least, it seems.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Everything I keep hearing is that Hazelbaker just doesn't have the bat to be a starter.  I love love love the speed, and the fact that he has developed power.  

I think I see him pushing his ceiling, proving a lot of people wrong and becoming a valuable player in the mold of daniel nava.  

Not a starter, but a very valuable bench piece. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1550373-2013-boston-red-sox-why-jeremy-hazelbaker-deserves-a-chance-with-team-in-2013 but he compares wel with kalish minus all the injuries.. our biigest error was getting rid of reddick..was better and healthier than kalsih. 4th OF, left handed bat off the bench, likely in LF or extra first baseman seems to b his ceiling. but has speed, power and good defense. not bad in a pinch or as a trade piece. sure oakland could make or value him as a starter.

I got this info from one of Moons posts on the reddick-bailey thread

Josh is hitting .125 now with a .533 OPS.

He hit .215 with a .647 OPS the second half of last year.

that's a pretty poor OPS for an OF'er over the last 350-400 PAs.

His BA and OPs over his last 160 PAs or so is about .150/.515.

Kalish had/has much more upside than reddick, thats a fact. I understand why he was kept. I dont think anyone saw these injuries coming for Kalish. At the time kalish was hurt and couldnt be traded. The A's took Red for bailey. We needed a closer and made the deal. Hindsight is always 20/20.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Everything I keep hearing is that Hazelbaker just doesn't have the bat to be a starter.  I love love love the speed, and the fact that he has developed power.  

I think I see him pushing his ceiling, proving a lot of people wrong and becoming a valuable player in the mold of daniel nava.  

I agree.  Could also be a nice little throw in for a bigger trade down down the road maybe?  Not a lot of open positions in our OF right now and we have decent depth with younger players like JBJ, Nava, Brentz and maybe a shift to the OF for Xander down the road.  Paired with Drew or BP arm....we could net maybe a solid 1B prospect or some depth with the starting rotation down the road this season.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I agree.  Could also be a nice little throw in for a bigger trade down down the road maybe?  Not a lot of open positions in our OF right now and we have decent depth with younger players like JBJ, Nava, Brentz and maybe a shift to the OF for Xander down the road.  Paired with Drew or BP arm....we could net maybe a solid 1B prospect or some depth with the starting rotation down the road this season.  

Just realized I said "Down the road" about a bazillion times in that post........Maybe I should start drinking coffee again....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just realized I said "Down the road" about a bazillion times in that post........Maybe I should start drinking coffee again....

Nah, only 3 times in 4 sentences Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Going back to coffee is something you should consider , down the road.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Going back to coffee is something you should consider , down the road.

HAHA!!!!  Thanks.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Kalish was an injury waiting to happen and yes it was predicted. He was an extremely aggressive player who got injured a lot. I hope he comes back strong but his boat has probably floated by now. As well as Hazelbaker's in all likelihood.

At least Nava put up big numbers in AA and below. Hazelbaker is by all accounts a solid young guy but he has never hit for a high average at any level. He's a back up at best in mlb and a throw in who might get some PT in a small market but probably never be more than a 4th or 5th OF even there. i hope I'm wrong. He seems like a great young man.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1550373-2013-boston-red-sox-why-jeremy-hazelbaker-deserves-a-chance-with-team-in-2013 but he compares wel with kalish minus all the injuries.. our biigest error was getting rid of reddick..was better and healthier than kalsih. 4th OF, left handed bat off the bench, likely in LF or extra first baseman seems to b his ceiling. but has speed, power and good defense. not bad in a pinch or as a trade piece. sure oakland could make or value him as a starter.

Kalish had/has much more upside than reddick, thats a fact. I understand why he was kept. I dont think anyone saw these injuries coming for Kalish. At the time kalish was hurt and couldnt be traded. The A's took Red for bailey. We needed a closer and made the deal. Hindsight is always 20/20.

As was the case with Bailey, I want to see what Kalish can do when he is healthy before I pass judgement on him. I have not given up on him at all. I think he can still be very productive in the mold of Trot Nixon. If its five years from now and he can't get healthy I will change my mind, but not yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Hes a good 4th Of option. I dont think his stuff has translated well to MLB so far, but that may have changed. Maybe hes just a late bloomer. Didnt realize his power until last year. Before that he was just a slap hitter with great speed and decent defense.

Maybe Jeremy spent time in Domincan with Ortiz breaking him in with that Dominican kool-aid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Mama cooking chicken fried in bacon grease, come on along boys, it's just DOWN THE ROAD APIECE !.........

Come on along and you can lose your lead.....down the road down the road down the road apiece.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

As was the case with Bailey, I want to see what Kalish can do when he is healthy before I pass judgement on him. I have not given up on him at all. I think he can still be very productive in the mold of Trot Nixon. If its five years from now and he can't get healthy I will change my mind, but not yet.

2 shoulder surguries and a neck injury. God knows what else. Gee, I wonder how those happened after watching him dive all over the place with no seeming regard for his body. Shoulder injuries are tough to recover from fully. Ask Adrian Gonzalez about that one. And Kalish was a 50/50 prospect even when healthy early in his career. Love the guy. I hope he recovers but it is not something I'd be banking on at all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Sometimes Redsox Nation just thinks every prospect is going to make it. Even I am not that optimistic. The reality is that very few make it. And fewer still make it as mlb regulars. A guy who is a 4th or 5th OF is of some value but really not that much, unless they emerge to become eventual starters. Ideally you want some young guys on the roster for those slots. Just in case they do hit. It's like an audition.  I'd rather have that situation than pay a proven veteran who will never become a regular. It's all about building value and trade pieces.