Jesus Montero - over before it began?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Jesus Montero - over before it began?

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yanks = signing top Free Agents = losing top draft picks = no top prospects.

This is the sad truth for Yanks. Last time Yanks were interested in building thru the farm G.Michael was the GM, and Yanks had a minny dynasty 96-01. Then came Brian Cashman and his sign the top FA approach. Which worked only in 09, but still had many of the same core guys that G.Michael drafted. Now all but Jeter are gone and Cash is spending more than ever, better hope it works? IMO Cashman gone long before Ells plays his last game in pinstripes!

[/QUOTE]

Pretty accurate IMO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Montero was a highly touted minor league player for the Yankees. (Aren't they all?) He was also supposedly mentored by ARod. I believe he was caught using steroids when he got to the Mariners - coincidentally after he was traded by the Yankees to Seattle. No way it started there.

When even the young players are using, there really needs to be something more done than 50-game suspensions. If they lost their income, and were banned from baseball after the second time they test positive, I believe some would think twice about it. As it stands now, they just seem to get better contracts.

And FTR the Mariners should be compensated for the misinformation about him to begin with as I'm sure there was a lot of misinformation given.

[/QUOTE]

He was not caught using steroids. Please. You don't know anything.

[/QUOTE]

I'll second that.

[/QUOTE]

I'll third it.  It's disgusting....someone, innocently or not (the former in this case, IMO) posts a total piece of fiction about an athlete.....but without doubt someone will see it, believe it, and repeat it.

[/QUOTE]

And this surprises you how?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Beantowne royf19 is a fantastic poster, I know this. I also know the truth about one John Curtice. Having been there myself in 1999, one good friend was John Curtices trainer, and another good friend his clubhouse manager. roy is getting his information off the Internet and forming his opinion on words. I was there. 

I worked there. I knew Kent Qualls (he was my boss), I met Dan Duquette, I ate lunch everyday with Dick Beridino, Butch Hobson, and Luis Aguayo. 

I went to the clubs with Mike Gallego and other coaches....

From 1997 thru 2006 I was privvy to a lot of information that I kept to myself always worried I might get my friends in trouble.... and of course I had entire season (1999) of first-hand experience within the organization. 

Nobody can take that away from me.... I loved it.

[/QUOTE]

Since you were privy to insider info and one of boys....I find it funny that you didn't mention his shoulder surgeries or elude to his not being in shape as the cause of his injuries on your previous post, leaves me skeptical. 

it's not my place to question the veracity of your statement. However, after reading Roy's post lets just say that it changed my perception of the reason the kid fell short...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Mariners aren't just disappointed with Montero — listed at 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds last season —  they have "zero expectations," according to the Seattle Times:

40lbs. overweight entering camp!  http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/

[/QUOTE]

Although Montero hasn't lived up to all the hype just yet lets not forget hes a pretty good catcher and still only 24.  He could still become one of those late bloomers who ends up surprising everyone at C or 1B in the future.

[/QUOTE]

Craze...the mariners released a press report stating they no longer view him as a potential major league catcher and did not have him report to camp early with the pitchers and catchers.

I do agree he's still young and could blossom into a decent major league hitter..His immediate future appears to be as a DH

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Mariners aren't just disappointed with Montero — listed at 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds last season —  they have "zero expectations," according to the Seattle Times:

40lbs. overweight entering camp!  http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/

[/QUOTE]

Although Montero hasn't lived up to all the hype just yet lets not forget hes a pretty good catcher and still only 24.  He could still become one of those late bloomers who ends up surprising everyone at C or 1B in the future.

[/QUOTE]

Craze...the mariners released a press report stating they no longer view him as a potential major league catcher and did not have him report to camp early with the pitchers and catchers.

I do agree he's still young and could blossom into a decent major league hitter..His immediate future appears to be as a DH

[/QUOTE]

Hey Bean, Montero had a pretty decent FLG percentage but I didn't realize how bad he was throwing runners out etc.   I'm sure the Mariners know best so your probably right. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is the sad truth for Yanks. Last time Yanks were interested in building thru the farm G.Michael was the GM, and Yanks had a minny dynasty 96-01. Then came Brian Cashman and his sign the top FA approach. Which worked only in 09, but still had many of the same core guys that G.Michael drafted. Now all but Jeter are gone and Cash is spending more than ever, better hope it works? IMO Cashman gone long before Ells plays his last game in pinstripes!

Pretty accurate IMO

[/QUOTE]

what's pretty acurate

yanks had a minny dynasty 96-01

Y not till 03 and what's so mini about 4/5

U have 2 go back the early 70's for  3/5

Which worked only in 09

only in 09 ?

speaking of the 70's

B4 this season that was the last time sox won 97 gms

yanks have won 97gm   8 times since their ''mini'' dynasty

seems like something might be working

nyy yr 2 yr wins

IMO Cashman gone long before Ells plays his last game in pinstripes!

LOL such a bold prediction

it's a 7 yr deal how many GM's last that long

now add the 16 at the job

how manys GM's last 23 yrs these days

is that what U meant by

'' Pretty accurate''

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty accurate IMO

[/QUOTE]

what's pretty acurate

Which worked only in 09

only in 09 ?

speaking of the 70's

nyy yr 2 yr wins

is that what U meant by

'' Pretty accurate''

[/QUOTE]

Apparently u you can't comprehend - NYY did well then, and historically I may add, in large part to Gene Michael; gary stated this

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty accurate IMO

[/QUOTE]

what's pretty acurate

Which worked only in 09

only in 09 ?

speaking of the 70's

nyy yr 2 yr wins

is that what U meant by

'' Pretty accurate''

[/QUOTE]

Cashman's not the sole voice when it comes to how the Yankees construct their roster nor is he  responsible for the organizational phylosophies or setting budgets...Like every team the owners, the CEO (Levine) and the CFO layout the strategic plan each year and then charge the General Manager the task of managing within the budget and surrounding himself with qualified managers to execute the plan and live the company's mission statement. 

The days of championship or bust the mantra of George Steinbrenner the bombastic, spotlight craving fire the manager, ownership model has long passed...The Yankees of today, more then ever are a big business. Cashman's job is secure as long as he continues to deliver profits...in Baseball that means winning...winning attracts the casual fan..the casual fan drives revenues...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Apparently u you can't comprehend - NYY did well then, and historically I may add, in large part to Gene Michael; gary stated this

Apparently u you can't comprehend

gary said the plan only worked in 09 since Bcash took over

I'm thinking we have more wins then anyone since 09

definity since Bcash took over so what's '' Pretty accurate''

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

At the end of the day it's all about the playoffs....and it's all about the present.  No one cares what you did last year, or 50 years ago.  It's a new season and a clean slate...time for Boston to get to work

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Apparently u you can't comprehend

gary said the plan only worked in 09 since Bcash took over

I'm thinking we have more wins then anyone since 09

definity since Bcash took over so what's '' Pretty accurate''

As far as  Ws are concerned; maybe so; otherwise, Enjoy ur fantasies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

Beantowne how many ahtletes do you think have had an injury and then got lacksadasel on their rehab? If you read a player had surgery does that close the matter? Do we just assume "oh that is why he didn't make it"? 

How did he handle his rehab assignments? Was his shoulder injured due to poor conditioning?

Anyhow - I was trying to explain myself without sounding like a jerk, but I obviously failed that... Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Mantle screwed around with his rehabs as a young man; it probably cost him a shot at being the greatest ballplayer ever; regardless he was still pretty good.

I'm not saying Montero shall be a Mantle; but he's not a complete bust yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In response to wonderdrums' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Montero was a highly touted minor league player for the Yankees. (Aren't they all?) He was also supposedly mentored by ARod. I believe he was caught using steroids when he got to the Mariners - coincidentally after he was traded by the Yankees to Seattle. No way it started there.

When even the young players are using, there really needs to be something more done than 50-game suspensions. If they lost their income, and were banned from baseball after the second time they test positive, I believe some would think twice about it. As it stands now, they just seem to get better contracts.

And FTR the Mariners should be compensated for the misinformation about him to begin with as I'm sure there was a lot of misinformation given.

[/QUOTE]

Seattle gave up a good pitcher for him, but I can't think of the guys name. I will say he's been injured the entire time so it seem the trade was equally ineffective for both sides. 

At this point, why wait for a second failed test? Ban them permanently and there's nothing to think twice bout. Go Sox!

[/QUOTE]
    Pineda , is the prospect, no?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Mantle screwed around with his rehabs as a young man; it probably cost him a shot at being the greatest ballplayer ever; regardless he was still pretty good.

[/QUOTE]

That and the whole alcoholism thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

[/QUOTE]

That and the whole alcoholism thing.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, And a few other indulgences; DiMaggio's nickname for him, Rockhead, was apt.

Apparently, alot of the ballplayers then were heavy drinkers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

royf19 I find it an interesting story (the informationn in your link) - sort of the forgotton ones - how many players who were determined or lacked determination have come and gone - ? So many

[/QUOTE]

It's always interesting to see who makes it and who doesn't. I've seen many high school kids, whom I felt could be stars but fizzled out somewhere along the line for whatever reason. Sometimes it's just bad luck. Sometimes, you're right, too much money too soon kills that inner desire. Injuries (Ryan Kalish, Ryan Westmoreland).

The current crop of minor league pitchers -- Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens, Webster, Rubby, Workman, Britton. It would be great if they all panned out, but the odds are not all will.

I remember when Brian Rose, Carl Pavano and Tony Armas Jr. were coming through. All were can't miss -- especially Rose. Only Pavano managed to have a decent career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He was not caught using steroids. Please. You don't know anything.

[/QUOTE]

I'll second that.

[/QUOTE]

I'll third it.  It's disgusting....someone, innocently or not (the former in this case, IMO) posts a total piece of fiction about an athlete.....but without doubt someone will see it, believe it, and repeat it.

[/QUOTE]

He received a 50-game suspension -- apparently as per you three -- for doing nothing. Heads up, players! You can now receive a 50-game suspension for being totally innocent. lol

Is this the Jesus Montero fan club I've encountered?

I'll add I already had ADG on ignore, now Crowtrobot joins him along with one of his many screennames Kingface. Keep creating them, I'll keep ignoring them. It's so easy to tell. All screennames created to just insult posts/posters with lame one-liners get the boot. Seeya!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kim, 

I've been saying that for more than a decade. In end MLB has taken a page out of the NFL book of how to manipulate PED and make it a player problem with zero accountabiltiy on the owners. While using thier PR machines to pain't the league as concerned and ardent champions of the anti doping cause. All the while in fact they're simply protecting the product by allowing those that use to serve minimum penalties to ensure they are back on the field as soon as possible..It's a shell game and we the fans are the ones that are the unsuspecting victoms of their 3 card anti...

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, Bean. And I've read many posts from you saying the same thing for awhile. I'll add, if they had stiffer penalities it may save some young promising athletes from ruining their bodies trying to get large contracts that are constantly rewarded to the abusers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Seattle gave up a good pitcher for him, but I can't think of the guys name. I will say he's been injured the entire time so it seem the trade was equally ineffective for both sides. 

At this point, why wait for a second failed test? Ban them permanently and there's nothing to think twice bout. Go Sox!

[/QUOTE]

While I agree that makes the most sense, it will never happen. Actually, even banning them after the second time probably will never happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have absolutely no hard evidence, but I suspect Jesus Montero is dealing with a mental health issue such as depression.

I don't care much anymore whether Montero becomes a productive MLB player, but I hope Montero takes care of himself generally in life.

Peace be with with you, Jesus Montero.

[/QUOTE]

Well, if that's true, and we really have no way of knowing, it kinda makes sense. He was touted as this amazing player at a very young age, and has yet to become that player. Also, he may have been playing for a while with PEDs, and now the realization has set in that he's not that capable without them.

Whatever the case is, I also hope he takes care of himself and is able to find peace. I think he had a truly bad mentor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, since umpires were fired for their bad calls in the ALCS in 2009, I'm not sure you can count '09 as a true success for Cashman. He definitely had a little help there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Jose Montero for  Michael Pineda may have been the most overblown trade in MLB history.   It's really, really hard to find a trade where every team and every player involved does much worse than this one.

I guess the Yankees are the clear but winners, because Jose Campos has not been the complete train wreck that Montero, Pineda and Hector Noesi have been.    And maybe this will be the year the shining star of this deal gets out of A-ball!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jose Montero for  Michael Pineda may have been the most overblown trade in MLB history.   It's really, really hard to find a trade where every team and every player involved does much worse than this one.

I guess the Yankees are the clear but winners, because Jose Campos has not been the complete train wreck that Montero, Pineda and Hector Noesi have been.    And maybe this will be the year the shining star of this deal gets out of A-ball!!

[/QUOTE]

perfect

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Pineda , is the prospect, no?

[/QUOTE]

you're correct. one of three trades made by the Mariners in search of bats. where they gave up pitching to aquire young hitting prospects...Lee for Smoak, Fister for Wells and Pineda for Montero...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't understand it.  I am by no means skinny, but if someone offered me .5M to get in shape, I'd work out twice a day, maybe even eat veggies.

[/QUOTE]

You don't eat veggies???   Surprised

I don't understand it either.  Some of these young players have a ton of talent, and a golden opportunity to have a great major league career, and they can't get themselves motivated to stay in shape?

I have been a little disappointed in both Doubront and Middlebrooks in past years in terms of their approach/attitude toward having a starting role on this team.  I am glad to see that both of them seem to have taken things a little more seriously this year.

And kudos to Jackie Bradley, who seems to understand that he cannot take anything for granted.

[/QUOTE]

I consider vegetables to be food, but only for the purposes of feeding them to real food.  I'm a carb junkie, so I am pretty much better off with a kill it and grill diet.