Jeter re-signed....$12MM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Jeter re-signed....$12MM

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With that out of the way, here are your Fielding Bible Award winners for the 2013 season ...

C - Yadier Molina, Cardinals

1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

2B - Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox

3B - Manny Machado, Orioles

SS - Andrelton Simmons, Braves

LF - Alex Gordon, Royals

CF - Carlos Gomez, Brewers

RF - Gerardo Parra, Diamondbacks

P - R.A. Dickey, Blue Jays

hey 4B's, after a quick check....all of the FB winners also won GG's...

[/QUOTE]

You have to dig a little deeper than that though Jete.  One of the GG finalists at first base was Chris Davis.  CHRIS DAVIS!!!

The guy is very Jeter like awful defensively.  He was nominated because of his offense.  JoeB pointed out in another thread that the FB folks did not give Davis a single vote, and rightly so.

At the same time, Mike Napoli wasn't a GG finalist.  He was the top vote getter for the AL at 1B.

So, while the GG voters have made some progress, they still have a way to go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Maybe there's hope for them after all.

But, considering it's coaches and managers, I'm not holding my breath.

yes fans like you are so much better qualified

[/QUOTE]

Never said I was.

Some folks like to think they're the smartest people in the room.

I'm not one of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

With that out of the way, here are your Fielding Bible Award winners for the 2013 season ...

LF - Alex Gordon, Royals

[/QUOTE]

You have to dig a little deeper than that though Jete.  One of the GG finalists at first base was Chris Davis.  CHRIS DAVIS!!!

The guy is very Jeter like awful defensively.  He was nominated because of his offense.  JoeB pointed out in another thread that the FB folks did not give Davis a single vote, and rightly so.

At the same time, Mike Napoli wasn't a GG finalist.  He was the top vote getter for the AL at 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Good research, Kimmi.

I really shouldn't fault the GG voters.

Managers and coaches don't have the time to put the research in that the stat geeks do.

They see other position players for three or four games at a stretch.

I'm betting most of the baseball fans here see more player in action that the average coach.

It be nice if they didn't totally mail it in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LF - Alex Gordon, Royals

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]hey Kimmi..i agree with your last line, your reference of Davis is what 4B's was saying when he said the bad picks make the good ones suspect, i was just noting that the guys awarded Bibles all won GG's and if that makes their GG selection less suspect 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Before the 2009 season, when the Yankees faced this kind of challenge, they spent over $400 million on Sabathia, Teixeira and Burnett and won it all in 2009.

But this year is different.  It's a thin free agent class and the Yankees have around $98 million committed to 7 players.  Some team is going to drive up Cano's price so the Yankees will have to give him his years and dollars (My guess is 7 years, $180 million). 

Instead of giving Cano a 7 or 8 year deal with over $200 million, I'd rather go for a shorter-term and more cost-effective choice such as Omar Infante.  But hey, it's not my money.   LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keeping Jeter was a must to satisfy their fans and keep the ratings up. Same reasons as keeping Mariano around last year.

[/QUOTE]

although mariano was coming off an injury, there was no reason to think he wouldn't be close to his "norm" for 2013.

Jeter is coming off a season in which he played in 17 games.  coming back for 1 game and then going DL again.  there is no reason to think he will be close to his "norm" for 2014.

it was a terrible move by the yankees.  but in line with just about all their moves since Stick left.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

btw,,,thank you Slasher...nothing brings "family" together quite like a Derek Jeter thread Tongue OutWink

[/QUOTE]

:)

I still say he took 2 full strides after catching that ball and then "dove" into the stands.

In reality this actually helped the Red Sox win the series.  Jeter jumping into the stands whilst Nomar sat on the Pine with a dumb look on his face.  that one play/game allowed Theo to make the trade without getting dragged from his home and hanged by the Nation.  and we all know how that trade turned out in the ALCS....

I always thought Jeter should have been given a 1/4 share from the Sox players.....  ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

btw,,,thank you Slasher...nothing brings "family" together quite like a Derek Jeter thread Tongue OutWink

[/QUOTE]

:)

I still say he took 2 full strides after catching that ball and then "dove" into the stands.

In reality this actually helped the Red Sox win the series.  Jeter jumping into the stands whilst Nomar sat on the Pine with a dumb look on his face.  that one play/game allowed Theo to make the trade without getting dragged from his home and hanged by the Nation.  and we all know how that trade turned out in the ALCS....

I always thought Jeter should have been given a 1/4 share from the Sox players.....  ;)

[/QUOTE] i never understood what was going on there, because i always liked Nomar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

it was a terrible move by the yankees.  but in line with just about all their moves since Stick left.

the jury is still out as 2 them saving on the lux tax this way or not

even if it was goodwill/ PR I can't seeing the nyy spending 2.5 mill

on anything being a terrible move

why not start a rumor

they gave him the xtra cash to play 3B if they decide that's what they want ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Jorge Arangure Jr.

More from Jorge|twitterrss

November 4, 2013 The Captain's Last Stand   8 Comments jeter_rivera_arodMariano Rivera is gone, along with Andy Pettitte, and no one knows if Alex Rodriguez will play for the Yankees again. When will Derek Jeter join them? (Getty Images)

In the waning moments of the 2013 season, while longtime teammates Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte received numerous ovations and were recognized for their accomplishments as they headed toward retirement, the often-injured and suddenly bench-ridden Derek Jeter finally admitted that he had started to face his own baseball mortality.

Jeter's comments were a casual acknowledgement, certainly not a teary-eyed pronouncement, but it was a subtle glimpse at the thoughts of a player who very rarely allows anyone publicly to know just what sits inside his head. But the 39-year-old Jeter had no choice but to accept the truth. With so much uncertainty about his health, and with all his best friends on the team soon to be receiving their pensions, the end for the best shortstop in Yankee history is near.

Jeter had participated in Rivera's retirement ceremony on a sunny Sunday morning during the last week of the season, then he famously, along with Pettitte, went to the mound at the final home game at Yankee Stadium this season to remove Rivera from the game so that the legendary closer could get one last proper goodbye from the home crowd. These were moments that would never be forgotten by Yankee fans, and it became obvious that they would not be forgotten by Jeter either.

"Time to go," Jeter told Rivera as he removed him from the game.

Jeter has not commented publicly on his new $12 million, one-year contract that was announced on Friday, yet there is a growing sense that for Jeter it soon will also be time to go. It's a safe bet that Jeter did not hold a conference call after the announcement on Friday because he knew that the questions about his retirement would begin.

Last season was a miserable season for Jeter and he dreaded, even more than usual, the constant questions from reporters. Jeter can be coy and curt with writers, but this time, you could really sense that the questions were becoming a distraction, or at the very least, an annoyance. During one media session this year, Jeter asked the crowd of reporters if someone had a question for him that he hadn't already been asked this season. Since the topic at that time was Jeter's health, the answer was no. They were all the same questions about the same topic that had dominated his 2013 season.

The assumption is that Jeter's health will be fine with a full offseason to recover. But for the first time in his career he will be playing under the uncertainty of a one-year contract. Will this season be his last? The questions about his future are unavoidable. It's a fair question now or when Jeter reports to spring training in February and gives his opening "State of the Jeter Address." It's unlikely that he'll answer that question definitively anytime soon, but it's a topic that will continue to come up.

The one-year contract represents something of an experiment. The $12 million is more than what Jeter would have earned on the open market, but it's understandable that the Yankees would want to reward one of their all time greats.

But can Jeter, who turns 40 in June, be a productive player one year removed from hitting only .190 with a .288 OBP and .254 slugging percentage in an injury-marred 2013 season that limited him to only 63 at bats? And if so, would Jeter gamble that he could be similarly productive in 2015 if he had a successful 2014 season?

Yet Jeter should take note and follow Rivera's path. One year after Rivera suffered a devastating knee injury that kept him from most of the 2012 season, the closer returned for a celebrated final season in which he was one of the top closers in the league and his exit was a perfect bookend for a remarkable career. In a somewhat mystifying development, Rivera became almost a mythical figure during his last season, with opposing fans seemingly wanting to catch one final glimpse or to simply bask in his presence. It was if Rivera had become a combination of a rock star and the pope

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Sweeney Murti reporting that Jeter is taking ground balls at third and will be playing 3rd for the Diablos down in Mexico for a few weeks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

Sweeney Murti reporting that Jeter is taking ground balls at third and will be playing 3rd for the Diablos down in Mexico for a few weeks.

[/QUOTE]

LOL NC

U do realize that some cowardly posters like andrewmitch who have me on ignore

just might buy it