Joba may Need Tommy John Surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Joba may Need Tommy John Surgery

The news just came down that surgery might be needed.  Headed to see Dr. Andrews.  I'm no Joba guy but I hate when any pitcher has to miss over a year to injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Joba may Need Tommy John Surgery

The better news for the Yanks is that Hughes is about to do a rehab start and could return soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Maybe he'll learn to throw a knuckleball while he's away. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I know I'm old school here and am not saying we should go back to the innings pitched and pitch counts of yesteryear but something has to be wrong with pitchers across the board breaking down it seems the more they try to protect them the more they break down

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Torn ligament....headed for TJ surgery.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Joba may Need Tommy John Surgery:
    [QUOTE]The news just came down that surgery might be needed.  Headed to see Dr. Andrews.  I'm no Joba guy but I hate when any pitcher has to miss over a year to injury.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

I kind of feel bad for Joba, who reminds me of a right-handed Babe Ruth (when Babe pitched). I've always felt that the Yankees misused him when they tried to turn him into a starting pitcher...and over-worked him out of the pen. 

I sincerely hope that the guy fully recovers...but has success somewhere other than with the Yankees. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Guys are coming back throwing harder than before the surgery.  It used to be like a death sentence.  Now it just costs the player ML playing time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Joba may Need Tommy John Surgery:
    [QUOTE]Guys are coming back throwing harder than before the surgery.  It used to be like a death sentence.  Now it just costs the player ML playing time.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Not always just as many are never the same some examples being Webb, Peavey, Santana, Wang, Loriano, Nathan, Wood and Pryor I don't know if all had Tommy John surgery I'm talking about pitching injuries in general

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

This is what happens when the game gets cleaned up.  Pitchers were using PED's to recover just like the hitters were.

I'm not saying these pitchers who are now getting injured used in the past, just that when there was widespread use, there were fewer injuries like these.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Jim and the crocodile tears. Jim, you are delighted, which is why you started this thread. My hope is that Wakefield gets Johnny Tom surgery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

it'll be nice not to see what head hunting fat fk on the mound for a while. Few things in baseball are more rewarding than seeing that P0S fail on the mound.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

You have to wonder about modern MLB philosphy regarding pitch counts, the 5 man rotation, etc.  How many torn elbow ligaments is it this year so far?  More than 4, and the season is only about 40% over.

Bobby Valentine will tell you that there are no scuh injuries in Japan, where pitchers throw constantly between starts and are accustomed to pitch counts well above 100 every time they do start.

Meanwhile, Tommy John was a rarity in the annals of MLB pitching at a time when good pitchers routinely pitched 300+ innings a year, for 10 - 15 years.  Maybe they had a few years with only 25 starts due to sore shoulders, or some other injury they rested from, but guys like Plamer, Seaver, and Ryan pitched hundreds of more innings in their careers and never had the need for elbow surgery.

Is it possible the slider has something to do with it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Good, I hate the dirt bag.  I hope he has terminal cancer also.  He's scum.  And that's what I really think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]I think Joba needs Papa John's Surgery! Sorry ... couldn't resist :)
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Jim and the crocodile tears. Jim, you are delighted, which is why you started this thread. My hope is that Wakefield gets Johnny Tom surgery.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Dude, now you are a dik.  I posted it because it was news.  I don't wish injury on anyone no matter what.  You have now taken it to another level.  If you really have a problem with me, let me know and I'll e-mail you my direct phone number and we can talk it out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I was reading about Tommy John Surgery a couple of nights ago and was surprised to see just how many guys have had to have it...it seems much more common in recent years, which is odd because teams pay more attention to pitch counts and try to avoid over-working pitchers...Joba especially, since they had the "Joba" rules thing for a couple of years there, really limiting how often he took the mound...

It might be that the game changed, and players have gotten better all around. They work harder, are in better shape, and work on their conditioning (legally or not) more, which I guess can lead to over working/training...that'd be my theory, I think it's tougher physically to be an athlete these days.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

slomag, you made me laugh!

Tim Wastefield needs Johnny Tom's lap band surgery.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Jawbutt is a jerk, a complete showboat who amounted to nothing.  ZIP.

When he comes back from TJ surgery I hope he gets his head together.  I can't think of a Yankee I despise more than that pile of pork.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

does anyone really care that Joba the Hut needs TJ surgery.  Get real. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Jim and the crocodile tears. Jim, you are delighted, which is why you started this thread. My hope is that Wakefield gets Johnny Tom surgery.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Ah, a sign of weakness; bad spelling; it's Wastefield, according to you; (I'm surprised you didn't go with Waistfield)  who's apparently liked still as a pitcher by most baseball analysts; I'll take their word over yours. As far as Ells is concerned, I'm sure you're at least a little embarrassed, not that you would ever admit it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Joba may Need Tommy John Surgery : Ah, a sign of weakness; bad spelling; it's Wastefield,  according to you; (I'm surprised you didn't go with Waistfield)  who's apparently liked still as a pitcher by most baseball analysts; I'll take their word over yours. As far as Ells is concerned, I'm sure you're at least a little embarrassed, not that you would ever admit it.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

His very presence here is an embarrassment for BDC..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Joba may Need Tommy John Surgery : His very presence here is an embarrassment for BDC..
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, his potato salad comment tonight was funny, in a sardonic sort of way. Here's guessing he has a similar girth, if not worse; not that I can afford to talk.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He sees himself in Wake. Thus the disgust. TYhe real difference is:
    Wake pitches against the best.  
    He puts a stationary golf ball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]He sees himself in Wake. Thus the disgust. TYhe real difference is: Wake pitches against the best.   He puts a stationary golf ball.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Amazing how you can surmise that just from a forum; then again  ... posters might know each other better than some of their relatives.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Heard Youk sent him flowers and a "Get-Well-Card".