Joe West is the worst umpire behind the plate in baseball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Joe West is the worst umpire behind the plate in baseball

No matter what game he is calling he is just horrendous, I see a lot of west coast games as I live in California and it's not just a Boston bias.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMONT550. Show KMONT550's posts

Re: Joe West is the worst umpire behind the plate in baseball

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Eddymon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No matter what game he is calling he is just horrendous, I see a lot of west coast games as I live in California and it's not just a Boston bias.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't get how a fat old tool with 8 chins who can't move his neck gets to ump an ALCS.

It makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

The new stat in Baseball...10th man award goes to the Tigers Joe West

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

We shouldn't have to be battling the Tigers and the umps.  He is really squeezing the Sox.  I hope the league takes a look at him.  I don't think he should be allowed to affect the game this much.  And if he is that out of shape, I don't feel he should be allowed to officiate an athletic event.  This is not been a well called game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Joe West is trending on Twitter. He's THAT bad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMONT550. Show KMONT550's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Isn't West the one that complained about the length of red sox games - anyone have any idea how many called 3rd strikes????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't get how a fat old tool with 8 chins who can't move his neck gets to ump an ALCS.

It makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

Russ you crack me up

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I also don't like Joe West, not one bit, but he was not the problem tonight.  Our hitters were the problem.  Joe actually called a pretty decent game, which surprised me. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also don't like Joe West, not one bit, but he was not the problem tonight.  Our hitters were the problem.  Joe actually called a pretty decent game, which surprised me. 

[/QUOTE]

He's not reason we lost but I don't think he called a good gm at all. Remember that 2-2 pitch on Ross he'd been calling that a strike in every AB. Sanchez starts walking and amazingly it's a ball, West always wants to be the show.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

All the strikeouts were due to the fact that Joe West was calling everything a strike on them whether they swung at a pitch or not. How could they NOT swing when the strikezone seemed to be all over the place?

Do you really believe it's just a coincidence there were so many strikeouts on the best offensive team in baseball? I felt sorry for them when they were up there swinging away, and the announcers just kept calling it another strikeout like it all made sense to them. They had NO choice.

FTR It should also matter that Joe freaken West is how old? And he's NOT wearing glasses? Don't tell me he has contacts, I wouldn't believe it. And I've yet to see an umpire wearing glasses. That should tell you something about why there's going to be instant replay.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red Sox hitters were begging, late in the game. Joe correclty rung them up. Swing the bat!

[/QUOTE]
    How do you think Kershaw must feel...gave up 2 hits/1run and LA got 5hits/"0" runs & he loses. Sanchez was good but still gave up 6 walks. We swung at balls in the dirt and didn't swing at ones down the middle, especially Napoli who is in a major slump. And Salty too is close behind in the strike out category.

Re: Swing the bat...With 1 out Pedroia was on 2nd in the 6th & Napoli had a 2-0 count and takes next pitch right down the middle. Still in a hitter's count 2-1, takes the next right down the middle. He ended up walking and slowfooted is DP prone but my point is we didn't need him to walk. We needed a hit to score Pedy & tie the game and, yup, he should have swung the bat, strike out or not !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red Sox hitters were begging, late in the game. Joe correclty rung them up. Swing the bat!

[/QUOTE]

So Softy any comment about Xander this morning---you got what you aked for --Xander to bat--he did make contact.

Perhaps he will start tonight--maybe a better opportunity. Kind of ironic he popped up to Iggy to end the game.

A toss up for me at this point--I say start him at third and leave Drew at SS.  He can't do any worse than Drew or WMB did at the plate or for that matter any RS hitter.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Sanchez was phenomenal, no doubt. And you have to swing at the close ones w/ two strikes against you. Lt. Frank Drebbin did make things worse though.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Sox never adjusted to a relatively big zone.  They watched straight up fastballs earlier in the counts right in middle of the zone for strike.  They swung and missed a lot of change ups.  Somewhere around the 3rd inning on they should have wished up.

i guess they will get another chance against Sanchez in this series, and they will atone for the 1st game mistakes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

I hope that this is Nap's only year in Boston, the king of swarts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

West or no West, the RS batting stunk and the team deserved to lose.  It seemed like a lot of hitters were intent on working the count but not on driving a hittable pitch.  We need a dramatic turnaround or this is a short series.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to blingblang's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox never adjusted to a relatively big zone.  They watched straight up fastballs earlier in the counts right in middle of the zone for strike.  They swung and missed a lot of change ups.  Somewhere around the 3rd inning on they should have wished up.

i guess they will get another chance against Sanchez in this series, and they will atone for the 1st game mistakes.

[/QUOTE]

What adjustment?  Sanchez had incredible stuff.  He threw a 95-96 mph fastball, but used it sparingly.  Instead he threw curves, sliders, two kinds of changeups, and a cut fastball.  Napoli was befuddled at the plate, like a bull in the ring about to get skewered.  Ortiz struck himself out twice on pitches out of the zone.  Ellsbury, who fully understands the value of making contact or even getting a walk, was struck out three times. 

The Sox lineup was completely dominated by Sanchez and somewhat by the Tigers maligned bullpen.  One hit, for crying out loud.  And 17 k's.  This went way beyond the notion of making adjustments. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joemanc. Show joemanc's posts

Joe West is the Joe Crawford of baseball.  He will find a way to screw the sox even if it is by just being a bad umpire.   Also, a scary thought if by chance we make it to game 7, West will be the ump again.   I think West's calls were 20% of our problem, but I blame the redsox 80% for not swinging at first strikes down the middle. many many 1st strike fastballs and then 2nd and 3rd swing and misses on curveballs.  the monkeys did not learn 17 strikeouts later.  lets see if they learn and take a different approach in game 2.  also, where were the bunts down to 3rd with a less than 100% cabrera?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The fact that the Sox hitters whined incessantly during the game did them no favors for the rest of the series.  West ain't that good an umpire, but he was selected for the playoffs and last night called a pretty good game.  All umpires have trouble calling low pitches accurately or consistently, and even there he was above average. 

The miracle was that Lester threw a lot of fastballs to a fastball-hitting club and only gave up 1 run in 6.1 innings.  But he did give up 9 hits, 2 HBP's, and a walk or two. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

What's done is done. act is Sanchez and company pitched very well. Sox are down 1-0, turn the attention to game two. A must win now.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Joe West was the home plate umpire in Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS.  That was the game in which the umps correctly reversed 2 calls in favor of the Sox, including the infamous A-Rod slap play, in front of a hostile Yankee Stadium crowd, without benefit of replays.  Without those reversals we probably would have lost the series 4-2.