Joel Hanrahan Trade Pushes Red Sox Near Top of AL East

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Joel Hanrahan Trade Pushes Red Sox Near Top of AL East

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2012/12/can-joel-hanrahan-sustain-his-luck.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston is nowhere near the top of the AL East.  Right now, I see it as the Yankees-Blue Jays-Rays-Red Sox-O's. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2012/12/22/joel-hanrahan-trade-pushes-boston-red-sox-near-top-of-al-east/

[/QUOTE]

The Sox only hope of contending is to trade for another reliable OF or IB bat, good health and our young pitchers coming around sooner than expected.  If Napoli doesn't come aboard it only gets worse.

Just my opinion!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It's not called 'rant sports' for nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

You never know. We're still tied for first place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not called 'rant sports' for nothing.

[/QUOTE]

OK.....I may get blasted for this....but ON PAPER....I think only the Jays have a better overall team IF HEALTHY.  

Reasons:

1) I think it's safe to say that our BP is the best in the division...followed closely by Balt

2) Other than Toronto is there a better first 6 then Ells, Vic, Pedey, Ortiz, Naps and WMB?

3) If last year is an aboration like most of us do is there a better starting pitching staff 1 THROUGH 7 then Lester, Buc, Demp, Lackey, Doubi, Morales and Ace??

4) Defense is solid....while not great the OF defense is VERY solid....infield....ehh....it's average but no worse than any other team in the division....

Again....these are just me ON PAPER thoughts......  I reserve the right to revisit this post when the season starts.....  ;-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You never know. We're still tied for first place.

[/QUOTE]

And at worst Sox are 2nd, alphabetically.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boston is nowhere near the top of the AL East.  Right now, I see it as the Yankees-Blue Jays-Rays-Red Sox-O's. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Boston is near the top of the AL East. Not the favorite, by any means, but close enough to the others to be in striking distance.

We are not without question marks, but so are the Yankees, Rays, and Os.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

look the redsox will  be in the mix in the east  if are young guns in the starting pitching bounce back and are revamped bullpen keeps shapeing up like this we will be in the mix  now the other bunch like the blue jays are paper champions at the point until the season starts we will see  but hey they gotta play the games we see this every yr with teams her load up through trade free agents whatever  we should be in the mix in the east though

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-We should be in the top-3 in the league in offense.

2-Should have a better than averge ERA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

3-the roster is still not set....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

as of right now we are difinitely not near the top of the AL, BUT, we are a few moves away from getting there. our pen could be elite assuming the hanrahan deal goes through. A back of the pen featuring hanrahan, bailey, uehera and bard (assuming we can get him back to form) is easily the best in the league. add in tazawa who was superb last year, breslow, aceves as the long man. Solid. heres what we need to do to be legit contenders:

1. at a front line starter. pitching, pitching and more pitching. We have prospects, we have pen guys we could trade, we have doubront who would be a nice chip. we also have extra catchers. My suggestions: garza for salty plus prospects, maybe a deal for lincecum? I think garza is the most likely of the two and makes sense as nick cafardo mentioned recently. Salty would have value to the cubs as would lavarnway. Lester Garza Dempster Buchholz Lackey could be a very potent rotation.

2. Add a middle of the order bat to play LF, gomes is not a starter. we have good hitters ie ortiz, ells, pedroia, middlebrooks, napoli (assuming the deal goes through) etc, but we dont have a number 3 hitter. we lost agonz, we need to replace him. Our best options are giancarlo stanton and justin upton, both young, both big time potential. we have the prospects to get a deal done. Mauer would fit the profile as well. (if the napoli deal doesnt get done)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I doubt they unload all their prospects at this point. They wouldnt even sign players who were offered a qualifying offer so they didnt lose a draft pick. They have their starting rotation right now and just need to figure out ther 1b situation before anything else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no need to unload "all" of the prospects, but we do have enough that we could give up some to get someone good now. we are not the rays or royals etc, we dont need to build a team full of homegrown players. we are a big market, big payroll team. the only prospects i would not trade are are boegarts and barnes. everyone else is available. especially if we are talking upton or stanton. the way the line up currently stands, we have no 3/4 hitters. ortiz, napoli, middlebrooks, are 5/6 types, victorino is 2 or 6/7 type, drew will likely hit 9th, salty/lava 8th, ells leadoff, pedroia 2nd. no one stands out as someone u can build a line up around. they are all good players, but not one is a true middle of the order bat. justin upton and giancarlo stanton are both 3/4 hitters and would rake in fenway. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no need to unload "all" of the prospects, but we do have enough that we could give up some to get someone good now. we are not the rays or royals etc, we dont need to build a team full of homegrown players. we are a big market, big payroll team. the only prospects i would not trade are are boegarts and barnes. everyone else is available. especially if we are talking upton or stanton. the way the line up currently stands, we have no 3/4 hitters. ortiz, napoli, middlebrooks, are 5/6 types, victorino is 2 or 6/7 type, drew will likely hit 9th, salty/lava 8th, ells leadoff, pedroia 2nd. no one stands out as someone u can build a line up around. they are all good players, but not one is a true middle of the order bat. justin upton and giancarlo stanton are both 3/4 hitters and would rake in fenway. 

[/QUOTE]

Stanton unfortunately is a pipe dream.  We would have to START by giving them Boegy, Bradley, DLR and Brentz and probably Buc as they would want a quality ML pitcher.  Would you be prepared to give up your top 4 prospects and a number 3 starter for 1 player?  Upton would probably be worth 3 out of our top 4 and probably Doubront....  I agree that a solid top of the order player would be great....but I would not give up the farm to get him.  Mauer on the other hand could be a VERY good option.  We would still have to give up at least 2 TOP prospects and a starter though....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree they arent at the top, but I wouldnt put NY there either. I think its a five way across the board tie for third. Lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this could be it!  having Hanaran pitch the 8th inning three times a week could be the move that reverses our recent 69 win season and turns it into world series nirvana!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

This is a funny one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We got Napoli (maybe) for Agon, Gomes for Crawford, and Victorino for Ross. How does that put us in the top three? If anything, the offense is worse with those guys and defensively, only Victorino is better.

As far as the ERA goes, the BP may have a good ERA (which it did last year), but the SP is no better. In fact, we don't know how Lackey coming off surgery, and Dempster pitching in the ALE, are going to do. Besides, better than average ERA doesn't a playoff team make.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We got Napoli (maybe) for Agon, Gomes for Crawford, and Victorino for Ross. How does that put us in the top three? If anything, the offense is worse with those guys and defensively, only Victorino is better.

As far as the ERA goes, the BP may have a good ERA (which it did last year), but the SP is no better. In fact, we don't know how Lackey coming off surgery, and Dempster pitching in the ALE, are going to do. Besides, better than average ERA doesn't a playoff team make.

[/QUOTE]

Do what I did.  Add up all the OPS from the regulars, add in a number for the bench, and divide by 10.  Compare that to the OPS from all the other teams.  LMK what you come up with.

And the rotation will have a league-average or better ERA, and the BP is excellent.

And just to see where your mathematical abilities lie, if a team has, say the #6 ERA, and the #3 offense in the AL, how many games to you think they'll win?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Boston is near the top of the AL East. Not the favorite, by any means, but close enough to the others to be in striking distance.

We are not without question marks, but so are the Yankees, Rays, and Os.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree.  It also helps that we made all of our acquisitions via free agency.  This means we still have all of our prospects and can swing something at the deadline if we are in contention (which we probably will be due to the new playoff format).

Good post, kimmi!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

The yanks will probably take a step back. What have they done to improve? You never know with a bullpen so Baltimore may experience some growing pains. For some reason I see Toronto beating up on bad teams, but struggling against the better ones. The Rays will most likely find away to stay relevant. The sox will probably pull out a lot of gutsy wins. I can see them making a second round playoff exit. Unless of course they get, or one of their pitchers emerges as, a stud.