Jon Lester hopeful he remains with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jon Lester hopeful he remains with the Red Sox

Good article from WEEI.com. 

Here's a paragraph and link to read the whole article:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/12/06/jacoby-ellsbury-departs-jon-lester-remains-hop

"Obviously it's crossed my mind. But it's not something that's really set in for me yet. I feel like I've got one more year here and we'll go from there," Lester said of his potential free agency. "I'm sure there will be some form of communication [with the Sox about a new contract], I would imagine probably in spring training, hopefully in spring training and hopefully during the season sometime if not in spring training. Obviously Boston's my home. This is all I've known. This is all I've become accustomed to, and all I want to know. My family enjoys it up there. I enjoy playing up there. There's a lot of factors in it. At the same time, kind of like Jacoby, there's a business side of everything and you've got to look at it that way. Same thing with the Red Sox. ... Sometimes you have to part ways. Hopefully that's not the case when it comes down to us here in the future."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Jon Lester hopeful he remains with the Red Sox

I heard on the radio just after Sox picked up his option that Sox and Lester will talk about the extention just before the ST.  Sox picked up his option because of the hidden magic calculation in Lester's option.  They will start extention negotiation soon and Lester already said that Boston is his home and he understands he has to take less to stay here.  

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/11/08/creative-luxury-tax-accounting-201-jon-lesters-average-annual-value-re-explained/

He's going to be 30 next season and 5 yr + 2 options makes reasonable sense IMO.  

5yr $75M + 6th and 7th $13M and $12M vesting options which will be a $100M deal if all vested.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

hope he stays......we need a more solid 2nd guy if Buch doesn't beef up though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

When I heard him talking about taking less to stay here on the radio, it perked me up for sure.  If we lost out on Ells, but extended Lester instead with that money... I would be so flippin happy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hope he stays......we need a more solid 2nd guy if Buch doesn't beef up though.

[/QUOTE]

don't hold your breath

Day to Day Clay is a Platoon Starter at best........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

A 3 year, 60 million dollar extension seems fair and reasonable to me. That gives him 4 years guaranteed. Also would be OK with 4-74. And also OK to let it play out and let him walk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

4-5yr extension. 18-20M per. Hes the kind of pitcher to have a good career onto his mid 30's. Easy delivery. 6'4 230LBs. Built for the long haul, no injuries. True meaning of a "Horse".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This is why you don't jump to back up the brinx truck for Choo.  Its not that Choo isn't ligit.  He is a good ball player.  But, when you look closely, not a significant enough upgrade over current options to warrant risking not being able to lock up our native son Jonny Lester.  I am not saying that there is a 1-1 correlation, but, good management 101 says you gotta look short term and long term at the same time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is why you don't jump to back up the brinx truck for Choo.  Its not that Choo isn't ligit.  He is a good ball player.  But, when you look closely, not a significant enough upgrade over current options to warrant risking not being able to lock up our native son Jonny Lester.  I am not saying that there is a 1-1 correlation, but, good management 101 says you gotta look short term and long term at the same time.

[/QUOTE]

Sox can have flexibility later on.  Peavy, Dempster, and Lackey and Victorino's contract ends in 2 yrs and of course Pedey's team friendly.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox can have flexibility later on.  Peavy, Dempster, and Lackey and Victorino's contract ends in 2 yrs and of course Pedey's team friendly.  

[/QUOTE]

Totally.  Cherrington has maneuvered deftly to create that flexibility.  No need to go long years and long money on 2nd tier guys to chip away at that flexibility.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally.  Cherrington has maneuvered deftly to create that flexibility.  No need to go long years and long money on 2nd tier guys to chip away at that flexibility.

[/QUOTE]

Flexibility is good, very good.  But let's not get carried away.  What's the point of having payroll flexibility if you don't spend that money?  Or if you have guys on short contracts that perform and walk?  Not that I'd do 7/153 for Ells but they could had done better esp in talks pior to FA....and if Naps walks now who protects Ortiz?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would look to extend Lester this spring for a 4 year deal....with last yeas Greinke and Hamels signings....hard to believe Jon would be looking for less than 20mm per....so if you can get  him to take 4/80MM extension...go for it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Flexibility is good, very good.  But let's not get carried away.  What's the point of having payroll flexibility if you don't spend that money?  Or if you have guys on short contracts that perform and walk?  Not that I'd do 7/153 for Ells but they could had done better esp in talks pior to FA....and if Naps walks now who protects Ortiz?

[/QUOTE]

I hear that.  Every case needs to be considered in its particular context.  I am simply against locking up Choo long-term.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear that.  Every case needs to be considered in its particular context.  I am simply against locking up Choo long-term.  

[/QUOTE]

yeah well Choo for mega deal would be nuts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah well Choo for mega deal would be nuts

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  But that is floating around a lot the last few days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

You guys are crazy if you think that Lester is going to take anything less than 5/100 or maybe even 6/120 to extend.  Lester is a horse and will be the most desirable starter if he hits the market.

Jon Lester has had ONE subpar season in his six full seasons (2012 ~ 9-14, 4.82 ERA, 1.38 WHIP). 

Every other season he has had:

An ERA of 3.75 or less

An ERA+ of 109 or better

15 wins or more

Sub 1.30 WHIP

More than 205 IP

152 or more K's

AND

He is a 2 time World Series Champion

He is also 6-4 with a 2.11 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in the Post Season

AND 3-0 with a 0.43 ERA and 0.76 WHIP in the World Series

If I were his agent, I would ask for at LEAST the Cliff Lee (5/120), Cole Hamels (6/144), or CC Sabathia (7/161, or 5/122, or 8/191 - depending on your calculation) deals.

If the Sox want Lester locked up, they are going to have to pay him a 9-figure contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are crazy if you think that Lester is going to take anything less than 5/100 or maybe even 6/120 to extend.  Lester is a horse and will be the most desirable starter if he hits the market.

Jon Lester has had ONE subpar season in his six full seasons (2012 ~ 9-14, 4.82 ERA, 1.38 WHIP). 

Every other season he has had:

An ERA of 3.75 or less

An ERA+ of 109 or better

15 wins or more

Sub 1.30 WHIP

More than 205 IP

152 or more K's

AND

He is a 2 time World Series Champion

He is also 6-4 with a 2.11 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in the Post Season

AND 3-0 with a 0.43 ERA and 0.76 WHIP in the World Series

If I were his agent, I would ask for at LEAST the Cliff Lee (5/120), Cole Hamels (6/144), or CC Sabathia (7/161, or 5/122, or 8/191 - depending on your calculation) deals.

If the Sox want Lester locked up, they are going to have to pay him a 9-figure contract.

[/QUOTE]

If he lets us buy out his next year of his deal and sign an extension in spring, I wouldn't be against signing him to a 6 year (really a five year extension because we already have him next year) deal at around $120 million... or equal to the amount of the Cliff Lee deal, but one year longer.