Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?

Ya just don't know until you put him up in The Show and see how he does.

Think of Jacoby Ellsbury.

Or, if you are so inclined, think of Sam Horn or Phil Plantier.

My guess is that he's a keeper.  Gotta see what he does against major league pitching.

The pain of uncertainly never goes away, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

No idea. We all are aware his fielding is clearly MLB ready, but his bat is scary. It's one of those situations that if some coach can teach him how to hit MLB pitching at even a .250 BA, .330 OBP we could bat him ninth and reap the benefits of vastly improved defense. Right now, if I had to answer, I would say a bust.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I think there is more than one way of looking at the Iglesias signing.

Correct me if I am wrong but he will be a FA again after the 2013 season.  So it looks like $8.2M for 1 season of starting SS.  It is probable that he will put up a very poor OPS in his first full year while providing great range and plenty of errors.

Two other glove first SS ( Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel ) took many years to become even average hitters.  Their offensive numbers were just as poor when they were his age. 

It is way too early to write him off, but if he has a poor 2012/13 someone else may have to be patient to benefit from his maturity. If he does produce in 2013, he may decide to go to the highest bidder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I sure hope he learns how to hit a little......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am a huge fan of great fielding SSs, and perhaps see more value in fielding at that position than most forum posters. I don't think we need to have an even average hitting SS, if the guy is a defensive stud, as I believe Iggy is.

That being said, I do not think Sox management holds the same view as I, and since Iggys is only under team control for just 2 more seasons (at over $2M each), I'd look to deal him now while his stock is still rather high.

We have Scutaro (1 year of team control), Aviles (3 years of control), and Lowrie ( 3 years) to fill the slot this year, and have Xander Bogaerts rising quickly in the team's top prospects list as our possible SS of the future.

I'm not saying dump Iggy. I think we can get very good return for him or use him as part of a larger deal to get someone like Wandy, Bailey or Gio.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I would have been completely fine with Orlando Cabrera or Alex Gonzalez.

I would absolutely LOVE to have Iglesias even if he comes to bat with a toothpick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Lacks power, consistency and disipline.  That does not leave a ton of wiggle room on offense.  No one disputes his amazing ability on defense, but in todays game teams want an offensive SS. 

I predict him to be similar to a Omar Vizquel type of player.  Not to say he wasnt a great player but the game is different then in the late 90's early 2000's.

I think three years down the road he could be a .265-.280 hitter, 8 HR, 55 RBI's.  He is a 8th or 9th hole hitter who will stretch a good career due to his defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

It all depends on what you want him to be. He's not going to be a Nomar or Arod type SS...that's just never going to happen. But he seems to already be a Rey Ordonez...and who knows, he may get to an Ozzie or Vizquel status someday. But while there's plenty of folks out there who can be a JJ Hardy (good bat, so so D) finding an amazing fielder is almost as hard as finding those rare combo guys. With the lineup the Sox have, I wouldn't be opposed to having him in the 9 hole. He'd help immensly, especially with the uncertainty of the rotation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm very comfortable.  I think we've placed too much emphasis on offense at SS.  Guys like Belanger, Harrelson, Ozzie, etc., played for years without a bat.  Iglesias will bat 9th, so unless we have a big offensive day, he has 3 ABs.  If he hits badly, maybe he bunts a guy over once every game or so.  If the situation arises, we can PH.  .235 in AAA as the youngest player on the team isn't that bad.  Give him an entire season at AAA, bring him up in 2012, and tell him to focus on his fielding and let the big guys carry the offense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I think our pitching needs his defense, he will learn to hit.  But if he could be used as a chip in a trade to bring us back a young front line pither, such as Gonzalez, Danks , or Jurggins then we must consider it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

The one thing to consider is right now he is a really good trade chip.  With some pretty good pitching up for trade, I think the RS should conisder trading Iglesias but only if they acquire a front line mid 20's pitcher.

The one guy the RS are high on is Xander Boegarts.  He is 19 and has power and might be just a notch below Iglesias in regards to defense.  If Boegarts has a good year in high A to AA I think trading Iglesias makes more sense long term.  Seeing the team has Scutaro for the next year and Lowrie and Avilas man the utility role there is not much room for Iglesias till 2013.

Again I am not saying trade him for a number 4 or 5 starter.  But If you can acquire a guy like Trevor Cahill, Gio Gonzalez, King Felix, Linecum, or guys of that ilk, then yes I would atleast have the conversation.  And getting one of those guys will take another two or three prospects so that also comes into consideration.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think the Sox have to keep him as I don't see his trade value being all that high, especially with A.L. teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Feeling is that he is an excellent defensive player, but the pitchers in Cuba do not throw as hard as MLB pitchers and this is probably why he is struggling with the bat down in the minor leagues. If I were the Red Sox I would be real careful with Cepedes because of this fact.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I say let him play.  If he bats .240 and plays great defense - then bat him 9th.  That wouldn't be a "bust."

This idea that you have to be a .300 hitter, hit 30 HRs, and be a gold glove defender - or you are a bust is silly.

Besides, how good does he really have to be?  He's already as good as scutaro and Lugo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

If he's truly capable of A+ defense at the MLB level and could potentially hit .240 or above (I'd take .220+ for 1st two yrs...), I'd rate him very highly. If either of those are missing, I'd move him. His value is highest in a larger National League park with deeeeeep gaps. His vacuum like glove would potentially save a ton of runs.

In Response to Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?:
    [QUOTE]  Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?:
    [QUOTE]Feeling is that he is an excellent defensive player, but the pitchers in Cuba do not throw as hard as MLB pitchers and this is probably why he is struggling with the bat down in the minor leagues. If I were the Red Sox I would be real careful with Cepedes because of this fact.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

There seems to be a fair amount of Cuban players that have done fairly well-Morales, Escobar, Alexie Ramirez, Viciendo, Chapman, Alonso.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Potential glove, busted bat.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

teach him how to hit MLB pitching at even a .250 BA, .330 OBP

SS does not need to put up .250BA and .330 OBP, are you joking!

Iggy will not be a FA when his contract runs out.

Lowrie is due for a 1M plus area arbitration contract year. He is the one to deal. Few people, including Inepstein, grasp what SS is about. You pinch hit for it, you don't put a butcher like Lowrie in there on a regular basis. Lowrie has some trade value as a 2nd baseman/utility player. Lowrie should have been traded last winter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

I hate to admit it but this kid has bust written all over him.  

A lot of people are saying, "he's got the glove, he'll learn to hit"  I hate to tell you, but hitting a baseball in the major leagues is one of (if not THE) hardest thing to do in sports. One doesn't just learn to hit over night, especially at that level of competition. If he is struggling at AA-AAA he will (more than likely) continue to do so at the major league level.

I pray that I'm wrong but I don't believe I am. The Sox should trade him now while his value is highest. The longer they continue to hold onto him, the longer other clubs have to see what we already know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox2480. Show bosox2480's posts

I think this guy is a must keeper, his great defenseat a dificult position like s
      Comes first. Bat him ninth in the order, hit for him when you have to. If bats .220 avg 30 to 40 rbis that fine. Teach him how to handle a bat for bunting hitting the other way and making a productive out. I want his defense first.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Jose is only 21. Perhaps he'll be a bust under his current contract, however his career will not be a bust.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just remember Fisk was a good defense not much of a hitter in the minors. Although better than Jose.Look what he did. I remember him once answering the question as to why he was such a better hitter in the Bigs. His answer was better lighting and better pitchers.
    So we have also seen players go the other way.

It will be what it will be when he gets to the bigs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

teach him how to hit MLB pitching at even a .250 BA, .330 OBP 

SS does not need to put up .250BA and .330 OBP, are you joking!

Too bad you can't see the catching position the same way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I see catching the same way, just not in a 40 year old guy who is wooden and has no arm strength left.