Josh Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Josh Hamilton

So what exactly is the market for Hamilton going to be?

Ben Nicholson-Smith of mlbtraderumors.com speculated 9 years / $200mill recently.  OK, fine.  From who?

The Yankees?  Who are trying to avoid Luxury Tax and have to sign Cano?

The Dodgers?  Who have some $480mill tied up in the OF already?

The Angels?  Maybe, but they dont need OF, do need bullpen and 3B.

The Mets?  Actually makes sense for need once they lock up Wright and/or Niese?

The Tigers?  Didn't they already spend their allowance?

Not many big market players left for Hamilton.  I suppose there maybe one or two teams who has payroll space, a need for an outfielder or two. Hopefully, if the team located in Boston does make an offer, they wisely try and keep the years down.

THere is always some surpise bidder aka "Mystery Team", like Baltimore (who tried to spend heavily for Teixeira a few years ago) who makes an offer.

I am not sure about how I feel about this, but I would not be surprised at all if the Sox went after Hamilton.  He may not have too many other offers on the table...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Josh Hamilton

I think the Sox will go after him, but I am not for it. 

If they go more than 5 years, I really won't like it. 9 years is insanity, but I could see Baltimore going 7.  Maybe some other team will jump into the market (SF, Cincy, Atl?).

I could see the Sox offering him $104M/4 or $145/5.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I would love to have Josh, but I would hate for him to be beaten up here if he were to get a long contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We certainly have teh money to pay him, but you are right: pay him $25M+ a year and he won't be able to have a 3 games slump without hearing about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JetsMangione. Show JetsMangione's posts

He would speed up the Sox rebuilding process. They are so far from being competitive, really bad. Hamilton would fill a huge void. Most of the minor league players that the Sox have are not as good as some here think, though that guy Brentz is going to be very good. 

I like the Yankees so I'm not rooting for the Sox but if they sign Hamilton, bring up a guy like Brentz, and sign a good starter they will be back in buisiness next year. They have a couple of good players now in Pedroia, Middlebrooks, and Ellsbury.   Boston fans are happy that they unloaded all of the big contracts,  it was a good move but they are going to have to spend some money to be back near the top.  The new GM will be better than Theo was, anyone could be.  The guy signed Lackey for all of that money when even the casual fan knew that Lackey wasn't a good pitcher. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

No No No, Boston Is Not The Place For Josh, He Could Not Handle The Pressure, I See Rehab Written All Over Him If He Lands Here.... The Press And Media Would Be To Much.....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

I would think Hamilton will end up back in Texas. Seems like a good fit for him. Boston, on the other hand, does not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Where ever he signs I'm curious if there will be of stipulations placed in that contract. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell Dent. Show Russell Dent's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

No No No, Boston Is Not The Place For Josh, He Could Not Handle The Pressure, I See Rehab Written All Over Him If He Lands Here.... The Press And Media Would Be To Much.....

The over under for rehab would be end of April.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

IF the Sox do make him an offer, I hope its no more than 4 yrs at no more than 20-25mm per. At least it wouldnt be for 8yrs when the guy will be 40. If its short years and good $$ I think folks here could deal with that a little better knowing he will only be here til hes 36 and could DH the last year or so if he had to.
    I think his defense will go first, but with Papi def gone within 2 yrs, that leaves the position open to switch JH there or keep him in LF.
    I would also put in the contract that he needs a chaperone while here. With this blood thirsty media and some over barring fans who will get off trying to see if they can break him, hes going to need the support while hes here if he should sign.
    Personally, I would love to see an outfield of Hamilton Ellsbury and Ross. Then in 2014 Bradley and Brentz could possibly come up if they havent been traded yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think they get involved.  I hope they don't go over 5 years.  And even that might be too much...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

3 or 4 years should be absoute max for any team.  There just is anyone worth the gamble for 6 or 7 years.  You never know when the league is going to get tough on performance enhancing stuff.  When they do half the players will be gone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

This will be Hamilton's fiirst whack at free agency, and his last big contract.
    He's not going to sign for 3 or 4 years.
    For his sake, I hope he stays in Texas.
    The Mets are where good players go to have their careers die.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Hamilton is already old and has high miles and a substance abuse problem. His value ends at 3 years and 30 million. Avoid this guy like he's Carl Crawford.

It makes my eyes hurt to see some of the numbers being thrown around.  Just to add to what you said-

1-In the four full season prior to this year, he averaged 25 HRs and a .311.  His slash was .311/.366/.541/.907.  This is more in line with Bay provided us.

2-Over those 4 seasons, he averaged 125 games, and in only one season he exceeded 133.

3-Like Bay, his selection was suspect.  He has a 393/170 K/W over that period, and 135/53 this year.

4-His production has a fair home advantage in it, with Arlington favoring lefties.  He has about a 100-point advantage at home.

I'd inquire about him, if only to raise the stakes just in case the NYY are interested.  His lefty bat at YS could add value that he wouldn't see at the Fens.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

FWIW, everything I posted about Hamilton is the about the opposite of what I posted about Beltre before he joined us.  That the direction we need to go.  Find players whose stats were artificially deflated by various factors.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

20-25mm per

Hamilton for up to 25 M a year has to be some kind of joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddly enough, no.

Zito had a horrible 1.53 K/W ratio when SF thought he was worth $18M.

ARod was given $300M when maybe the closest competing offer, maybe, maybe, was $100M less.

Pujols had an OPS of .906, and entering the decline phase of his career, and still got $240M.

LAA traded for the worst contract in BB.

Don't underestimate the GMs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Is Scott Boras Hamilton's agent? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

This having to log in twenty times a day is a pain.
    In fairness to Hamilton, he is not a pull hitter, and hits a lot of his HRs to CF, and some to LF.
    He is a supremely talented bigtime player.
    If he didn't have his substance problems, he could be looking at a record setting contract.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

FWIW, everything I posted about Hamilton is the about the opposite of what I posted about Beltre before he joined us.  That the direction we need to go.  Find players whose stats were artificially deflated by various factors.

Will Venable

Justin Smoak

Chase Headley

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Here is my take on the Red Sox and Hamilton...

...IMO, if the Sox go out and sign the top player on the market, then they are doing it NOT to improve the team in the long term, but to SELL TICKETS.

Signing Hamilton would be a similar marketing move as signing Lackey & Crawford.

Larry L, please let Cherington bring in a new manager and build the new team...only get involved if Cherington asks for your help or if the money involved in the player acquisition requires ownership approval.

I like VMart as a possible option at 1B for the next few years, a guy who has proved he can play here too.

The Sox should make a strong pitch at Texas for Elvis Andrus since the Rangers have a kid ready to play SS in the bigs with Profar.

A couple of pitchers for the rotation...that do not include the name Greinke and this team could look pretty good in 2013.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

I would think Hamilton will end up back in Texas. Seems like a good fit for him. Boston, on the other hand, does not.

Exactly, he is already quoted as saying he wants to stay in Texas.  Why on earth would he even consider signing in Boston ?