Judge declares mistrial in Clemens case-Your thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Judge declares mistrial in Clemens case-Your thoughts

WASHINGTON -- Judge Reggie B. Walton has declared a mistrial in the Roger Clemens perjury trial.

"He's entitled to a fair trial," said Walton. "He now cannot get it."

Lead defense attorney Rusty Hardin had asked for a mistrial because the prosecution revealed a statement to the jury in violation of a pre-trial order.

The prosecution also violated pre-trial orders when Assistant U.S. attorney Steven Durham talked about the Yankees' drug use during his opening statement.

In angry comments directed toward the prosecution, Walton said, “Government counsel doesn’t do just what government counsel can get away with doing …I’m very troubled by this. A lot of government money has been used to reach this point. The government should have been more cautious. I don’t see how I can un-ring the bell.”

By that, Walton meant that he cannot figure out how the jury’s exposure to statements by Laura Pettitte, wife of former Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte, can be erased from their memory so it does not later influence decision-making. Laura Pettitte is someone designed to bolster the credibility of her husband, a former teammate of Clemens. Under dispute in the case is whether Clemens mentioned using human growth hormone to Andy Pettitte.

“He is a serious witness,” said Walton. “Mr. Pettitte’s testimony is critical as to whether this man [Clemens] goes to prison. The government should have taken steps to make sure this didn’t happen.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Judge declares mistrial in Clemens case-Your thoughts

good for the Rocket, maybe it's better to just let it go. He already is in baseball purgatory over his idiotic handling of his post-Sox life. I don't see what good it does to put him in jail for stupidity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Better this way; what a waste of resources. He wasn't going to go to jail anyway. Still, his image is permanently tarnished, and I would say practically nobody believes him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

funny how that works---if you're an @-hole while you're playing baseball, then you tend to be one when you retire.
    who's the bigger scu mbag? clemens or sheen?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

neither are scumbags. I disagree with that. Clemens did a lot of charity work and, like Rose, often was a MLB spokesman in appearing ads and at events. Sheen is a drug addict, who happens to be a very funny guy...when sober. His personality is why he had a successful TV career and his father's fame helped him secure some early strong roles for himself in motion pictures. I never thought of Sheen as an azz, but Rocket threw his wife under a bus back at the original congress hearings, so in that respect, I'll take Sheen over Rocket.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

ALREADY????Undecided

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

does this mean andy pettite can come out of the witness protection program yet?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Judge declares mistrial in Clemens case-Your thoughts:
    [QUOTE]By Shira Springer, Globe StaffWASHINGTON -- Judge Reggie B. Walton has declared a mistrial in the Roger Clemens perjury trial. "He's entitled to a fair trial," said Walton. "He now cannot get it." Lead defense attorney Rusty Hardin had asked for a mistrial because the prosecution revealed a statement to the jury in violation of a pre-trial order. The prosecution also violated pre-trial orders when Assistant U.S. attorney Steven Durham talked about the Yankees' drug use during his opening statement. In angry comments directed toward the prosecution, Walton said, “Government counsel doesn’t do just what government counsel can get away with doing …I’m very troubled by this. A lot of government money has been used to reach this point. The government should have been more cautious. I don’t see how I can un-ring the bell.” By that, Walton meant that he cannot figure out how the jury’s exposure to statements by Laura Pettitte, wife of former Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte, can be erased from their memory so it does not later influence decision-making. Laura Pettitte is someone designed to bolster the credibility of her husband, a former teammate of Clemens. Under dispute in the case is whether Clemens mentioned using human growth hormone to Andy Pettitte. “He is a serious witness,” said Walton. “Mr. Pettitte’s testimony is critical as to whether this man [Clemens] goes to prison. The government should have taken steps to make sure this didn’t happen.”
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Just goes to show how many people can be paid off.  This was probably as bad or worse than the Anthony trial.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Prosecutor was either amazingly incompetent or arrogant, or both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

does anyone know if it was declared a mistrial with or without prejudice? Even when a mistrial is declared, it doesnt mean the case is necessarily over. if is was with prejudice, it can not be retried. without prejudice, it can at a later date and new jury

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Judge declares mistrial in Clemens case-Your thoughts:
    [QUOTE]good for the Rocket, maybe it's better to just let it go. He already is in baseball purgatory over his idiotic handling of his post-Sox life. I don't see what good it does to put him in jail for stupidity.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you.  Just a waste of taxpayer's money. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This sickens me.  Roger Clemens has thumbed his nose at MLB and the judicial system from the beginning, and now he may walk free because of the ineptness of a prosecutor. 

I say try him again.  You may not think what he did is a heinous crime, but this man ostensibly lied to a Grand Jury while under oath.  If undermining the court system in this country doesn't merit the prosecutors attempting a new trial, what does??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

WEEI:

Boston lawyer Harry Manion joined Mut and Merloni Thursday, saying the prosecution in Roger Clemens’ perjury trial was “reckless” and “disrespectful” with their use of inadmissible evidence, leading to a mistrial. He added that he did not believe there would be another trial for Clemens due to double-jeopardy.

“Here’s the question: Is the declaring of the mistrial while the defendant, Roger Clemens, is at jeopardy? In the law, that means he’s at trial,” Manion said. “Jeopardy is attached for the purpose of double-jeopardy … the constitutional concept that you cannot be be prosecuted twice for the same crime.”

“I’m telling you, what you’re going to be hearing over the next 24 hours [is] a motion from the defendant, [Clemens' attorney] Rusty Hardin saying, ‘Jeopardy attached. You can’t try him twice. It wasn’t my fault. It wasn’t my fault. Release him, and call this over.’ If that’s the case, he walks away a completely free man, never to be prosecuted again for anything that happened in Congress.”

The prosecution twice made mention of Laura Pettitte’s account of what her husband, Andy, had told her about a conversation between he and Clemens. It was ruled inadmissible evidence prior to the trial, and when the prosecution showed video of her 2008 affidavit, U.S. District Jude Reggie Walton took a recess and eventually declared the mistrial.

“I try cases all the time. I’m a trial lawyer,” Manion said. “This is what all those pre-trial motions are about. They’re called motions in limine. It’s the judge telling the lawyers, ‘Look. In your opening statement, in your evidence, stay away from the subject matter. I ruled it inadmissible.’ If you tread over the line, you get yourself in trouble with the judge.

The defendant can get sanctioned, admonished, but that the defendant has a lot of rights. The prosecutor does not. The prosecutor has to obey the letter of the law. When a judge says, ‘Stay away from Mrs. Pettitte’s affidavit, stay away from the conversations she allegedly had,’ and then you go refer to it in your opening, and worse, you play a tape of it involving a congressman in which the conversation is alluded to and highlighted on the screen and sits in front of the jury, that is such reckless conduct, and such disrespectful conduct that I could see Judge Walton — who is nobody to mess with, I mean he is a real tough, strict judge. I could see him walking out at 2:00 this afternoon and granting a motion to dismiss this prosecution.”

A hearing to revisit the matter is scheduled for Sept. 2, but Manion believes that all of the attention given to the way this week’s trial fell apart that getting an indifferent jury would be too challenging.

“This is also just absolutely terrible pre-trial publicity. The entire world knows now what has happened, and you’re never going to get a fair jury. You can’t even change the venue. Fundamental fairness [says] don’t prosecute Roger. He has a big chance right now to walk away from this. We’re going to find out I think in the next 24 hours whether that happens or not.”

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY........  "SON, I SMELL A FISH DOWN THERE IN WASHINGTON D C"  !!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

when will he be joining the yankees?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

the inmates at guantanimo are up in arms over this

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

First casey gets off, now roger.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

next thing you know they will say Arod never did steroids, what is up with new york and the lies.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]next thing you know they will say Arod never did steroids, what is up with new york and the lies.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]
    they live in their own fantasy world, but reality will set in soon enough.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Clemens has pictures in his posession of somebody!  But really, I agree with the fellas who say that there are more pressing crimes out there that the feds can pursue just to make an example of Roger Clemens.  Based on what we know, it's very likely that Clem was a part of the PED crowd, and to me that tarnishes him considerably.  The steroid era deserves one big asterisk, and guys like Clemens, Bonds, Manny and A-Rod, who were great players without the PEDs, forever ruined their reputations in the eyes of a lot of fans.  Their records and accomplishments are downgraded in significance in the history of the game.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The whole case was a ridiculous waste of time and money. You would think the government would have better things to do.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Judge declares mistrial in Clemens case-Your thoughts : Just goes to show how many people can be paid off. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    No doubt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Why couldn't the judge call it Heresay, like they always do and continue with the trial? I think it's kinda weak to declare a mistrial on Heresay alone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The mistrial was the result of extreme incompetence by the prosecution; it is so blatant that I smell a rat. Check this out: