Justin Upton Declines Trade to Seattle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Justin Upton Declines Trade to Seattle

Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton invoked his limited no-trade clause to reject an agreed-upon deal between the D'Backs and Mariners that would have sent Upton to Seattle, reports Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.  The M's were prepared to give up "a package of young talent" in the trade, a return that Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic has heard was "substantial" (Twitter link).

Though several teams have been linked to Upton over the last two seasons, the Mariners seem to be the first to propose a deal that has gotten the D'Backs to agree to move the 25-year-old outfielder.  As Rosenthal/Morosi note, the trade rejection could be gamesmanship by either Upton or the D'Backs --- Upton could be trying to control where he ends up, or the Snakes are sending the message that if Upton wants to leave Arizona, his only option is Seattle.  The Mariners, Blue Jays, Red Sox and Cubs are the four teams on Upton's current no-trade list, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick (Twitter link).

The Braves and Rangers are still pursuing Upton, and we've heard in recent weeks that such teams as the Mets, Padres, and Orioles have also been in engaged with trade talks with the Diamondbacks.

Update: The Mariners offered a four-player package to the D'Backs, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.  Arizona would have received Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor and one of Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen or James Paxton

What do you think about him declining the trade? Was it just a way for him to get leaveraege by saying "Hey Seattle, you want me? Then give me an extension or something?" Or does he just not want to play in Seattle? Me personally I think he just doesn't want to play in Seattle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Justin Upton Declines Trade to Seattle

probabyl doesnt want to go to seattle

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

If the Red Sox acquired him or tried, do you think He'd okay a trade here?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we can offer a better deal than Seattle's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we could but i wouldn't want to

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we could but i wouldn't want to

[/QUOTE]

Why not, Who would be comparable to The package that The mariners offered???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

posted at 1/7/2013 11:53 PM EST

• Softlaw1
    • First: 11/16/2012
    • Last: 1/10/2013

I'm sure J. Upton wants no part of Seattle, which is the armpit of the AL. He can veto any deal and make the Seattle pipe dream elsewhere. Unless Seattle adds a big extension, he can list them at the beginning of this year as one of the teams on his "no-trade list" that he has to waive (which means leverage for the player seeking more money)

[/QUOTE]

I dont even think it would take an Extension Softy, I think at most he just looking for some "Straight Cash Homie". Lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not blame Upton.  Who wants to play for the Mariners? 

If I was a ballplayer, I would also add Seattle to my no-trade list.  LOL 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

He may like AZ.  I read somewhere he is building a home there.

I would find it akward to try to stay in AZ when clearly AZ doesn't want you any more.  Guess other teams know a price now......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Hill rare these prospects ranked in the Mariners system?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Baseball America....Prospects:

Walker is 2nd

Hultzen is 3rd

Paxton is 4th

Franklin is 5th

Since the choice was supposed to be just 1 from the 2 through 4 prospects, Seattle was only going to give up 2 of their prospects rated 2-5 plus Furbush and Pryor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It was because he hates Starbucks.  Frankly, I don't blame him...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Walker is 2nd

Hultzen is 3rd

Paxton is 4th

Franklin is 5th

Since the choice was supposed to be just 1 from the 2 through 4 prospects, Seattle was only going to give up 2 of their prospects rated 2-5 plus Furbush and Pryor.

[/QUOTE]

So it would be Bradley, Barnes, or Webster and Owens plus pick two here that would a lot. For Upton I would rather pass.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Walker is 2nd

Hultzen is 3rd

Paxton is 4th

Franklin is 5th

[/QUOTE]

So it would be Bradley, Barnes, or Webster and Owens plus pick two here that would a lot. For Upton I would rather pass.

[/QUOTE]

Me To, He Would Not Be Happy Here, Not Inpressed  With Him Anyway, Save The Farm BC,

Hope He Lands In Miami......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Walker is 2nd

Hultzen is 3rd

Paxton is 4th

Franklin is 5th

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, assuming our prospects match up in value pretty even.

I think they would take:

Bradley

2 from Doubront, Morales, Aceves (with cash) or Tazawa

2 from Owens (5), Cecchini (6), Brentz (7) or Lavarnway (not a prospect anymore)

Bradley

If we sign Marcum to take the place of our 2 traded ML pitchers, the loss is minimized.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

MLB.com Prospect Watch has Stephen Pryor as Seattle's sixth-ranked prospect:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

John Sickels of Minor League Ball has Pryor as Seattle's 11th-ranked prospect:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/5/3838474/seattle-mariners-top-20-prospects-for-2013

In October, Sickels released his preliminary list of Top 50 hitting prospects and Top 50 pitching prospects, ranking Taijuan Walker No. 7, Nick Franklin No. 16, Danny Hultzen No. 17 and James Paxton No. 25* while ranking Xander Bogaerts No. 4, Matt Barnes No. 18, Jackie Bradley No. 24, Allen Webster No. 40 and Henry Owens No. 49:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474586/preliminary-top-50-pitching-prospects-list-for-2013

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474442/preliminary-top-50-hitting-prospects-for-2013

MLB.com Prospect Watch ranks Taijuan Walker No. 4, Danny Hultzen No. 8, Nick Franklin No. 29 and James Paxton No. 74, while ranking Xander Bogaerts No. 31, Matt Barnes No. 37 and Jackie Bradley No. 39.

For what it's worth, five years of lefthander Charlie Furbush is worth more than two years of lefthander Franklin Morales.

* Sickels' preliminary lists in October included three other Seattle prospects -- Mike Zunino, Brad Miller and Victor Sanchez -- who were not mentioned as part of the reported offer for Justin Upton

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

John Sickels of Minor League Ballhas Stephen Pryor as Seattle's 11th-ranked prospect:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/5/3838474/seattle-mariners-top-20-prospects-for-2013

In October, Sickles released his preliminary list of Top 50 hitting prospects and Top 50 pitching prospects, ranking Taijuan Walker No. 7, Nick Franklin No. 16, Danny Hultzen No. 17 and James Paxton No. 25* while ranking Xander Bogaerts No. 4, Matt Barnes No. 18, Jackie Bradley No. 24, Allen Webster No. 40 and Henry Owens No. 49:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474586/preliminary-top-50-pitching-prospects-list-for-2013

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474442/preliminary-top-50-hitting-prospects-for-2013

MLB.com Prospect Watch ranks Taijuan Walker No. 4, Danny Hultzen No. 8, Nick Franklin No. 29 and James Paxton No. 74, while ranking Xander Bogaerts No. 31, Matt Barnes No. 37 and Jackie Bradley No. 39.

* Sickels preliminary lists in October included three other Seattle prospects -- Mike Zunino, Brad Miller and Victor Sanchez -- who were not included in the reported offer for Justin Upton

[/QUOTE]

Nice info, hill... as always.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

An offer of Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Franklin Morales and Daniel Bard would likely fall short of the reported Seattle offer. Based on prospect rankings, Bogaerts-Barnes is the rough equivalent of Walker-Franklin, but years of control and recent performance give Furbush-Pryor more trade value than Morales-Bard.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

100% Elles for Upton along with one key prospect? Or maybe for a player such as Bard... Bard/Elles for Upton? Am I offering too little?

BTW isn't Upton a bit to young to already have no-trade clauses?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

An offer of Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Franklin Morales and Daniel Bard would likely fall short of the reported Seattle offer. Based on prospect rankings, Bogaerts-Barnes is the rough equivalent of Walker-Franklin, but years of control and recent performance give Furbush-Pryor more trade value than Morales-Bard.

[/QUOTE]

We could offer more than 4 players, and I think offering them Doubront and Tazawa over Morales and Bard, plus giving 2 from Cecchini, Brentz, Lava or Owens is enough to take Bogaerts or Barnes out of the offer you listed above.

It's hard to know how AZ values our prospects as compared to BA's rankings.