Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

For one year. Then... poof!

2 are gone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

Choo> Upton

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This is getting out of hand now.  Within this thread Softy has posted as Softlaw, Trotter Nixon AND Stupid Hillbilly. 

I think he's finally - and thankfully - losing it.  If he ever had "it" to begin with.  :-) 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This is getting out of hand now.  Within this thread Softy has posted as Softlaw, Trotter Nixon AND Stupid Hillbilly. I think he's finally - and thankfully - losing it.  If he ever had "it" to begin with.  :-) 

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/dissociative-identity-disorder-multiple-personality-disorder

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we are to seriously compete withing the next 2 years, we need a bonafide stud cleanup hitter that is RH'd. How many times does a guy like Upton get put on the market? There may not be another chance in a while.

[/QUOTE]

couldnt agree more, exactly what i've been saying all along. We just traded our clean up hitter in adrian gonzalez, we have a huge hole in the middle of the line up, sure technically we could sign hamilton but that comes with alot of risks and would cost a ton of money, not mention his age (31, will be 32 in may). Upton on the other hand is young, signed for a relatively modest amount for the sox to pay and could be a .300, 35-40, 100+ rbi guy in the sox line up. His age should be extremely attractive to a team like the sox who are try to get younger and build a solid young core going forward. Upton is a guy worth giving up top prospects for, i would try to get a deal done without bogaerts in it. anyone is fine. but the sox really need to a get deal done for upton, he fills 4 needs at once, (middle of the order bat, right handed, power hitter, right fielder, ) And you hit the nail right on the head in that players like justin upton rarely are available and who knows if one will be for the next 10 years or so, the last time a young player around uptons age with such huge potential was available was when the florida marlins traded a guy by the name of miguel cabrera to the tigers for a boat load of prospects, the top 2 of which were andrew miller and cameron maybin, miller has been a huge bust and maybin is an above average player but not that great. the point is, you never know how prospects will turn out, so when u have the chance to get a guy like upton, you make it happen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If we are to seriously compete withing the next 2 years, we need a bonafide stud cleanup hitter that is RH'd. How many times does a guy like Upton get put on the market? There may not be another chance in a while.

[/QUOTE]

couldnt agree more, exactly what i've been saying all along. We just traded our clean up hitter in adrian gonzalez, we have a huge hole in the middle of the line up, sure technically we could sign hamilton but that comes with alot of risks and would cost a ton of money, not mention his age (31, will be 32 in may). Upton on the other hand is young, signed for a relatively modest amount for the sox to pay and could be a .300, 35-40, 100+ rbi guy in the sox line up. His age should be extremely attractive to a team like the sox who are try to get younger and build a solid young core going forward. Upton is a guy worth giving up top prospects for, i would try to get a deal done without bogaerts in it. anyone is fine. but the sox really need to a get deal done for upton, he fills 4 needs at once, (middle of the order bat, right handed, power hitter, right fielder, ) And you hit the nail right on the head in that players like justin upton rarely are available and who knows if one will be for the next 10 years or so, the last time a young player around uptons age with such huge potential was available was when the florida marlins traded a guy by the name of miguel cabrera to the tigers for a boat load of prospects, the top 2 of which were andrew miller and cameron maybin, miller has been a huge bust and maybin is an above average player but not that great. the point is, you never know how prospects will turn out, so when u have the chance to get a guy like upton, you make it happen. 

[/QUOTE]

Upton may not be the only big RH'd slugger available, but he's the only obvious one at this time.

A while bakc, I wanted us to trade for Miggy then Holliday. AGon did fill the whole, but with him and Papi both lefties, it didn't work out that well. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Upton is like Beckett...One good year, one down year. One good year, one down year.

Yup, I wanna give a boatload of top prospects for that...Hey, maybe by the time his 3 years with us is done he WILL become that consistent player most here are talking about.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo> Upton

[/QUOTE]

At what?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Upton may not be the only big RH'd slugger available, but he's the only obvious one at this time.

A while bakc, I wanted us to trade for Miggy then Holliday. AGon did fill the whole, but with him and Papi both lefties, it didn't work out that well. 

[/QUOTE]

I wanted Holliday as well when we didnt resign bay. he wouldve raked at fenway park.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We missed the boat a couple of times. This boat, we need to catch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

We missed the boat a couple of times. This boat, we need to catch.

[/QUOTE]

What boat? Upton? Ok Moon, Ill just leave it at this. I wouldnt give up what the DBacks want for 3 years of Upton. Thats not to say I dont want him on the team. But giving up MLB ready SS, which we dont have (Bogaerts being the closest),  3b (Middlebrooks), and pitching. I dont see this deal getting done unless AZ takes some prospects that are a year or 2 away like Cecchini, Workman, Marerro (not eligible for trade until jan), and maybe one of RDLR/Webster.

Every team is asking for Bogaerts, Middlebrooks and Barnes/RDLR/Webster. I wouldnt part with 3 on that list.

They have a set OF and really a lot of pitching as well...

Upton is not going to be the deciding factor for our success in 2013. We have many other holes to fill...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Neither is Upton..No one player is going to be the difference for us in 2013...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We can involve a 3rd team to get AZ the position players they want.

Upton will reach his prime in 2014 and 2015. Those are the years I see us making a strong push.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

We can involve a 3rd team to get AZ the position players they want.

Upton will reach his prime in 2014 and 2015. Those are the years I see us making a strong push.

[/QUOTE]

I can agree with this idea. Three team deals are tough. Id have to do more research to see what teams would work.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We could also trade guys like Aceves, Breslow, Sweeney, Salty, and others who will be FAs soon or are too old to figure into our long term plans for prospects. Then, with new stockpiled prospects on board, put together a better package for guys like Upton, B Anderson, or Stanton.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Over the next two years, Napoli will be 31 and 32.  In his prime.  Napoli's OPS over the last three years is considerably higher than Upton's.  Plus, he wouldnt cost us any prospects.   You want to get back in the next two years: Napoli is a guy you should be considering.

Napoli provides a lot of benefits.  You can play him at 1B and if Lava struggles, move him to C.  He draws a TON of walks.  Has a ton of power.  Has a Fenway swing.  We've had a lot of luck in targeting players w Fenway swings (Lowell, Beltre, Ross).

During interleague play, you could slide Napoli behind the dish and insert Ortiz at 1B.  

Napoli makes a ton of sense for this team.  Then again, I dont see we cant get both JUPP and Napoli.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

For one year. Then... poof!

2 are gone.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%.  Trading for Choo and keeping Ells only makes sense if we plan on competing in 2013.  If Choo is the only player that you are brining in, I dont think it makes sense to trade for him or retain Ells.  If you trade for one year of Choo and Keep Ells, then you are putting yourself in "win now mode" and need to make other complimentary moves as well.  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Whatever moves the Sox make or don't make, they most certainly should make every effort to win in 2013.  Anything less would be an insult to the fans.

25. This post has been removed.