Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

In response to softlaw's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox won't include Boegarts for Upton.  He's pretty much considered untouchable right now.

It would take an incompetent like InEpstein or Cherry not to include Bogaerts for J. Upton. In the unlikely event that Ellsbury, De La Roasa or Webster, Brentz and Cecchini doesn't close the deal, Bogaerts should be substituted for Brentz or Cecchini.  

[/QUOTE]

Upton is NOT, i repeat, NOT worth our #1 prospect...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thoughts on a deal involving Cecchini, Marrero, and Workman/Ranaudo? AZ wants a young 3B/SS type. Why not offer both?

Cecchini seems to be a solid corner IF. Wont hit for the power you might want him too, but at 21 he still has some room for growth in that area. He has the frame to do it.

Saw Marrero a few times this summer, and though he's a pleasant person to talk to, I don't think he's really a viable candidate. He has two guys in front of him that are significantly better than he is. Talked to a scout about him and he was not impressed (even though in his first AB he jacked a homer to LF).

[/QUOTE]

Marerro cant be officially traded until 1 year after his signing. He could possibly be a PTBNL, but you couldnt do that until January because you have to announce who the PTBNL is within 6 months, and June (when it will be a year) is 6 months away.

Bradley, Bogaerts, Barnes, Webster, De La Rosa are of the trade list. Pick anyone else you want. To give up the future for 3 years of him is nonsense IMO. Hes good and I agree, has great POTENTIAL, but he will leave in 3 years. You cant build around him because in the middle of building, poof hes testing FA...

And softy, Im not buying your act of "give them whatever they want"....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

J. Upton is, I repeat, is worth our #1 prospect. J. Upton isn't much older than Bogaerts and already has a MLB career record that is manifest with proven production at an elite level vs. peers in his age group.

Upton is 5 years older than Bogaerts, so No, hes a lot older. Proven inconsistent production. Just look at the numbers, they dont lie.

I get it, southpaux=incomeptent=Cherry. Since when do you hang on to a RH top prospect for a proven almost as young MLB everyday postion player?

ahhh, more adolescent names, cute. I hang on to a #1 prospect when I can have him on the team for 6+years compared to 3 for a heck of a lot less. Also Bogaerts, by many scouts accounts, is the real deal. Upton hasnt proven that he can hit MLB pitching consistently. Hes also not that great defensively and gets caught stealing half the time, so hes not a smart base runner either.

Since when have the Red Sox had any high percentage success in projecting farm prospects.

Many scouts from other teams say the same thing, so its not just the Sox' scouts.

The reality is that it is rare for there to be more than a few MLB "can't miss MLB career starter higher league level production"?

Upton hasnt proven anything yet except potential.

Bradley, Jr and J. Upton is the mark of competent GM. The market of an incompetent GM is to pay 10 million FA ticket to Ellsbury and pretend that there's more long term value and fit in hanging on to Bogaerts.

Were not talking about Ellsbury.

Song, Marte, Bowden, Anderson, Westmorland, Ranaudo

Take a look at the above #1 prospects.

There are plenty of #1's that went on to have great careers as well, so whats your point?

Anyone want to defend holding back the #1 prospect for J. Upton?

Bogaerts goes nowhere

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

J. Upton is, I repeat, is worth our #1 prospect. J. Upton isn't much older than Bogaerts and already has a MLB career record that is manifest with proven production at an elite level vs. peers in his age group.

I get it, southpaux=incomeptent=Cherry. Since when do you hang on to a RH top prospect for a proven almost as young MLB everyday postion player?

Since when have the Red Sox had any high percentage success in projecting farm prospects.

The reality is that it is rare for there to be more than a few MLB "can't miss MLB career starter higher league level production"?

Bradley, Jr and J. Upton is the mark of competent GM. The market of an incompetent GM is to pay 10 million FA ticket to Ellsbury and pretend that there's more long term value and fit in hanging on to Bogaerts.

[/QUOTE]

Softlaw, I don't know how often you have seen Upton play but living in So Cal as I do I have seen him enough to know that he is a chronic underachiever.  He has not fashioned the numbers worthy of such a big load of players for him.  Besides, he has been benched numerous times for lack of hustle or just plain loafing.  He isn't worth our  time.  If he tried pulling some of the stuff in Boston that he did in Arizona the fans would boo him out of Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Softlaw, I don't know how often you have seen Upton play but living in So Cal as I do I have seen him enough to know that he is a chronic underachiever.  He has not fashioned the numbers worthy of such a big load of players for him.  Besides, he has been benched numerous times for lack of hustle or just plain loafing.  He isn't worth our  time.  If he tried pulling some of the stuff in Boston that he did in Arizona the fans would boo him out of Boston.

[/QUOTE]

This is what ive been trying to tell people. Monster potential is there and hes shown flashes of it. Problem is all the other stuff that comes with him. Attitude, loafing, inconsistent numbers, defensive issues, poor base stealing decisions (gets caught half the time).

Imagine if he came here and pulled his attitude. Someone actually compared him to Miggy...At least Miggy consistently put the numbers up whereas Upton has not. I dont give top prospects for potential. Id rather keep prospects that may not have quite as high a ceiling but will still produce great numbers with an all around better attitude and respect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Take a look at the above #1 prospects

Only Anderson made it to #1. Bowden and Ranaudo to #2, Wesymoreland #4.

I'm all for trading to get Upton, but why be dishonest about it?

Why not list out the real #1's over the years? And all of them...

2003: Jorge de la Rosa, Youkilis, F Sanchez (Lester/HanRam got to #2)

2004: HanRam, Youk, Lester (B Moss to #2, Pedey & Shoppach to #3)

2005: Papelbon & HanRam (Pedey & A. Sanchez to #2/3)

2006: Papelbon, Lester, Ellsbury (Hansen to #3)

2007: Ellsbury, Lester, Buch (Bowden to #3)

2008: Buch, Masterson, Anderson (Ells, Bowden & Lowrie to 2/3)

2009: Anderson & Kelly (Reddick, Bard, Kalsih and Bowden to 2/3)

2010: Kelly (Kalish, Reddick & Rizzo)

2011: Kalish & Middlebrooks (Iggy, Ranaudo, Doubront) 

2012: Middlebrooks & Bogaerts (Ranaudo,  Barnes, Bradley)

Some pretty good low cost top propsects made it bigtime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Take a look at the above #1 prospects

Only Anderson made it to #1. Bowden and Ranaudo to #2, Wesymoreland #4.

I'm all for trading to get Upton, but why be dishonest about it?

Why not list out the real #1's over the years? And all of them...

2003: Jorge de la Rosa, Youkilis, F Sanchez (Lester/HanRam got to #2)

2004: HanRam, Youk, Lester (B Moss to #2, Pedey & Shoppach to #3)

2005: Papelbon & HanRam (Pedey & A. Sanchez to #2/3)

2006: Papelbon, Lester, Ellsbury (Hansen to #3)

2007: Ellsbury, Lester, Buch (Bowden to #3)

2008: Buch, Masterson, Anderson (Ells, Bowden & Lowrie to 2/3)

2009: Anderson & Kelly (Reddick, Bard, Kalsih and Bowden to 2/3)

2010: Kelly (Kalish, Reddick & Rizzo)

2011: Kalish & Middlebrooks (Iggy, Ranaudo, Doubront) 

2012: Middlebrooks & Bogaerts (Ranaudo,  Barnes, Bradley)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Moon...I didnt feel like looking this up. He wont acknowledge this becuase it doesnt fit into his arguement. facts are of no concern to him and his schtick on this forum...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Upton's is certainly worthy of a look. The upside is an All Star caliber player with superstar potentail. Is he worth two top prospects? I'll leave that to Cherington to decide.

That said, earlier this year I heard an interview with a couple of the beat writers that follow the D-back on a local radio station. When it was rumored that the Mariners were looking at aquiring him at the deadline. Both spoke about the percieved character issues in Arizona. Both in fact stated that what is being percieved by the national media isn't acurate, nor was his argueing with the skipper as big a deal as it was being made out to be. The kid is not a malcontent (as some, like to portray him). In fact both of them spoke about his work ethic and said that he's a hard working grinder type that shows up to the park early every day. Stubborn might be a better definition of his character. In fact most of his struggles and his percieved attitude issues are due to the lofty expectation placed on him. A burden he takes personally and when he doesn't deliver he internalizes it and gets a little Youkish...

Most of the problems lye in his having to learn to play the outfield @ the big league level and that he's a streaky hitter that has yet to learn to make adjustments...When he go into a funk, like many young players, he's yet to learn how to make adjustments.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Upton's is certainly worthy of a look. The upside is an All Star caliber player with superstar potentail. Is he worth two top prospects? I'll leave that to Cherington to decide.

That said, earlier this year I heard an interview with a couple of the beat writers that follow the D-back on a local radio station. When it was rumored that the Mariners were looking at aquiring him at the deadline. Both spoke about the percieved character issues in Arizona. Both in fact stated that what is being percieved by the national media isn't acurate, nor was his argueing with the skipper as big a deal as it was being made out to be. The kid is not a malcontent (as some, like to portray him). In fact both of them spoke about his work ethic and said that he's a hard working grinder type that shows up to the park early every day. Stubborn might be a better definition of his character. In fact most of his struggles and his percieved attitude issues are due to the lofty expectation placed on him. A burden he takes personally and when he doesn't deliver he internalizes it and gets a little Youkish...

Most of the problems lye in his having to learn to play the outfield @ the big league level and that he's a streaky hitter that has yet to learn to make adjustments...When he go into a funk, like many young players, he's yet to learn how to make adjustments.

Well articulated, but he's worth more than "a look for the current #1 prospect of the Red Sox, not of MLB".

Only Anderson made it to #1. Bowden and Ranaudo to #2, Wesymoreland #4

You are using a list among many subjective lists, as bugaboo for a specious claim. Anyone dare to claim that a #1 Red Sox RH can miss prospect this month on one of many lists, at leasts 2 or 3 years away from playing enough MLB to be equipped to excel at the MLB level, anyone foolish enough to claim that sending Bogaerts is a deal breaker when acquiring J. Upton?

Yes, we have such fools who claim that Bogaerts, at least 2 or 3 years away from being more than an inxeperienced MLB roookie, is more important to hang on to than to acquire J. Upton. LMAO!

Weaker than "job creation v. total people unemployed". The number of "top prospects" in MLB, not on one team's list, that make like Justin Upton has already made it is a tiny percentage.

Your boast that "he's staying" is emotional gasping. The issue is whether the incompetent GM Cherry will make the incompetent choice to say "he's staying because it's a deal breaker on acquiring J. Upton".

[/QUOTE]

LMAO?  what are you 13?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You are using a list among many subjective lists, as bugaboo for a specious claim.

And what was the list you used? "Objective"? I used soxprospects.com- a very repsectable list and one that has shown their ordering is pretty accurate over the years.

Anyone dare to claim that a #1 Red Sox RH can miss prospect this month on one of many lists, at leasts 2 or 3 years away from playing enough MLB to be equipped to excel at the MLB level, anyone foolish enough to claim that sending Bogaerts is a deal breaker when acquiring J. Upton?

Is this supposed to make sense? I have no clue what you are saying or who you are directing this at.

Yes, we have such fools who claim that Bogaerts, at least 2 or 3 years away from being more than an inxeperienced MLB roookie, is more important to hang on to than to acquire J. Upton. LMAO!

Weren't you the one who excluded Boagerts from your list of players AZ could choose from until just a few days ago, when you added "if they insist on Bogaerts..." 

I suppose you must be LYAO at yourself then.

Weaker than "job creation v. total people unemployed". The number of "top prospects" in MLB, not on one team's list, that make like Justin Upton has already made it is a tiny percentage.

HanRam, Papelbon and Buch are in the same league as Upton. That's 3 out of the 8 guys who have been #1 over the last 10 years. I wouldn't call 3/8 a "tiny percentage".

Look, I'm all for trading for Upton. I'd prefer to trade Bradley and the others I specifically listed than Bogaerts, but I'd part with Bogaerts if needed as well. The difference is that I don't need to lie, distort, or delude myself to make my points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

You are using a list among many subjective lists, as bugaboo for a specious claim.

And what was the list you used? "Objective"? I used soxprospects.com- a very repsectable list and one that has shown their ordering is pretty accurate over the years.

Anyone dare to claim that a #1 Red Sox RH can miss prospect this month on one of many lists, at leasts 2 or 3 years away from playing enough MLB to be equipped to excel at the MLB level, anyone foolish enough to claim that sending Bogaerts is a deal breaker when acquiring J. Upton?

Is this supposed to make sense? I have no clue what you are saying or who you are directing this at.

Weren't you the one who excluded Boagerts from your list of players AZ could choose from until just a few days ago, when you added "if they insist on Bogaerts..." 

I suppose you must be LYAO at yourself then.

HanRam, Papelbon and Buch are in the same league as Upton. That's 3 out of the 8 guys who have been #1 over the last 10 years. I wouldn't call 3/8 a "tiny percentage".

Look, I'm all for trading for Upton. I'd prefer to trade Bradley and the others I specifically listed than Bogaerts, but I'd part with Bogaerts if needed as well. The difference is that I don't need to lie, distort, or delude myself to make my points.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to deal for Upton as well, but it doesn't sound like we are a good match, as I don't think they move Middlebrooks OR Boegarts for him, and it sounds like Arizona is looking for help at SS and 3rd, as well as pitching obviously. 

One of the reasons many feel Boegarts is considered "untouchable" outside of the fact that some scouts, Softlaw's scouting report on his defense notwithstanding, see his ceiling as "franchise player," but also because his "makeup" is considered to be excellent as well.  He's a bright kid, he speaks 4 languages, he has a terrific work ethic and he is almost humble to a fault.  Some scouts also feel it's not out of the question that he is the Sox starting SS by the end of next season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy is not the only person with doubts about Bogaerts defense.

We could trade Bogaerts, Cecchini and 2 of Aceves, Morales and Doubront, but I think AZ might want more immediate SS & 3B help- not players 1-2 years away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

We could trade Bogaerts, Cecchini and 2 of Aceves, Morales and Doubront, but I think AZ might want more immediate SS & 3B help- not players 1-2 years away.

[/QUOTE]

Moon, Boegarts' defensive liabilities have more to do with things such as "footwork," and other "issues" that can be fixed through hard work, which isn't an issue with this kid.  He's very athletic, he has a strong arm and solid range.  Some say he may "grow out of the position," but that remains to be seen.  If Hanley Ramirez had this kid's makeup, I don't think Hoyer, Cherington and Lucchino would have made the Beckett deal. 

I just don't think they would consider moving Boegarts at all right now, especially for a guy like Upton, but we will see...

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I've seen Bogaerts play a bunch. He's no MLB career starter SS, and the Red Sox had a far better talent in Hanley Ramirez. When the notion that bean counting is how to run a big market franchise, you end up with incompetents like Cherry as the GM. It's value and fit, not value in macro-market isolation.

[/QUOTE]

Ive seen them both and they are very comparable at the same age. Big kids with power and average defense at SS. the only difference is Bogaerts has a much better attitude.

Your just now starting in on Bogaerts because you want him traded for Upton. One day he could torture your Yan...Oops, forgot..Your a Sox fan arent you...My bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon, Boegarts' defensive liabilities have more to do with things such as "footwork," and other "issues" that can be fixed through hard work, which isn't an issue with this kid.  He's very athletic, he has a strong arm and solid range.  Some say he may "grow out of the position," but that remains to be seen.  If Hanley Ramirez had this kid's makeup, I don't think Hoyer, Cherington and Lucchino would have made the Beckett deal. 

I just don't think they would consider moving Boegarts at all right now, especially for a guy like Upton, but we will see...

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts defense has improved from 2011. Although he still needs more work, the hard work he has put in over the last year is showing. Remember, this kid just turned 20 years old.

If he doesnt stick at SS or the Sox see Iggy as the SS of the future, then a spot in LF would be perfect IMO. We need another 300/30/100 guy out there again for a number of years like Manny was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure he grows into a plus defensive SS, but it's early yet. Here's what soxprospects has to say about his defense:

Slightly above-average arm. Solid-average range, but losing footspeed as he gets bigger. Needs to slow the game down defensively and resist the feeling to rush plays. Inconsistent with footwork and staying down on the ball. Choppy at times with his movements and reactions. Has been improving with his defensive technique, but does not look likely to stick at shortstop. Will transition to third base or left field down the line. Can stick on the infield.

I think we can get Upton & Anderson by trading Bradley and others, and hopefully keep Bogaerts and Barnes.

If AZ insisted on Bogaerts for Upton, I'd say yes, but I'd want to lower the value of the additional players to offset the loss of Bogaerts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bogaerts will be more valuable to us than 3 years of Upton. Id rather Bogaerts having 6 years in LF than Upton 3 in RF.

Although they are going to try and compete in 2013, there will be some adjustments and questions answered like, "Is Lav going to stick at C?" "Is Bogaerts going to stick at SS?" "Is Iggy going to hit MLB pitching?" "Whos going to play 1b for the forseeable future?"

Once those questions are answered, then they can really start moving forward.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's still a chance Bogaerts amounts to nothing more than a replacement player's value. I doubt it, but it could happen. He may also just give us 3-5 years of decent but unspectacular play, or 2 decent years and 3 very good years.

There's little doubt Upton will do great the next 3 years as he enters his prime years and moves to a hitter friendly park (although he has done very well in AZ).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

There's still a chance Bogaerts amounts to nothing more than a replacement player's value. I doubt it, but it could happen. He may also just give us 3-5 years of decent but unspectacular play, or 2 decent years and 3 very good years.

There's little doubt Upton will do great the next 3 years as he enters his prime years and moves to a hitter friendly park (although he has done very well in AZ).

[/QUOTE]

thats what they said about A-gon too. Granted he was still a stud. but didn't have the power numbers everyone claimed he would have.

Not saying the same thing will happen to J Upton but hey, you never know. I just worry we would be giving up too much of our futuer to aquire him. hopefully we can get some good smaller trades going to give us more ammunition to get him without sacrificing our young talent