Keep aneye on Mookie Betts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Keep aneye on Mookie Betts

He certainly has turned some heads since moving to 2b. Right now hes blocked for the next 6-7 years by Pedey, but could still be a great trade chip if hes still blocked when hes ready. Just another promising young prospect in our system.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/33941/soxprospects-keep-an-eye-on-betts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Keep aneye on Mookie Betts

nice read but

mookie better not bet on BB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Betts certainly proformed well enough last year to draw interest from all around baseball.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses entering doube A this year.

Hopefully, he can become more versatile because he is not likely to play second base in Boston very often.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

User Actions   Following Jim Callis@jimcallisMLB

Mookie Betts. @RedSox @danawormald: Hey @jimcallisMLB: Best offensive second baseman in minors is ...?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ben, has all the chips.....  Baseball today, begins & ends with the farm system !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think he needs a position switch. Left field ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben, has all the chips.....  Baseball today, begins & ends with the farm system !!

[/QUOTE]

It begins with farm system but it doesn't end there -- especially for a team like the Red Sox. There are trades involving just big league players and there are free agents who fill holes -- Victorino, Napoli etc.

Any GM with such a narrow outlook you suggest isn't going to last long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=draft

Mookie getting some love.  #3 among second baseman.  I like how he gets a 55 overall grade which is no lower than the two guys ahead of him Wong and Odor.  They actually grade his hit tool as high as them, his power and speed higher.  I find this intriguing because I heard his arm would play anywhere in the infield and he had the athleticism for SS and CF, but regardless he is getting some love on the national stage now. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Pardon me, but I have a habit of comparing a Red Sox prospect with a Seattle Mariner prospect when I see similar numbers*. For Mookie Betts, I compared his minor league numbers with those of Seattle prospect Chris Taylor, another middle infielder:

MB 847 PA, .298/.395/.437/.831, 113 BB (13.3%), 87 K (10.3%), 0.77 K/BB,  59 SB, 8 CS

CT 837 PA, .316/.411/.449/.860, 107 BB (12.8%), 139 K (16.6%), 1.30 K/BB, 55 SB, 11 CS

Betts was taken in the fifth round of the 2011 draft while Taylor was taken in the fifth round of the 2012 draft. Interestingly, Taylor was considered a glove-first shortstop and was described on Draft Day as a "poor man's Deven Marrero," the shortstop the Red Sox drafted in the first round that year.

The big difference is that Betts is two years younger than Taylor, who played three years of college baseball at the University of Virginia. Taylor's numbers came at slightly higher minor league levels, but many came in leagues considered friendly to hitters.

Among prospects in the Seattle organization, Taylor is ranked seventh by Baseball Prospectus, fifth by MLB.com and ninth by FanGraphsBaseball America will release its Mariner rankings next week.

* http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=betts-000mar

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=taylor004chr

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It will be interested to see where Mookie ranks on peoples top 100 lists.  I see him in the 50-100 range on a lot of lists with perhaps someone being higher on him.  But if he repeats these numbers in the upper minors as a 21 year old then he is going to seriously propel his prospect status forward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pardon me, but I have a habit of comparing a Red Sox prospect with a a Seattle Mariner prospect when I see similar numbers*. For Mookie Betts, I compared his minor league numbers with those of Seattle prospect Chris Taylor, another middle infielder:

MB 847 PA, .298/.395/.437/.831, 59 SB, 8 CS

CT 837 PA, .316/.411/.449/.860, 55 SB, 11 CS

Betts was taken in the fifth round of the 2011 draft while Taylor was taken in the fifth round of the 2012 draft. Interestingly, Taylor was considered a glove-first shortstop and was described on Draft Day as a "poor man's Deven Marrero," the shortstop the Red Sox drafted in the first round that year.

The big difference is that Betts is two years younger than Taylor, who played three years of college baseball at the University of Virginia. Taylor's numbers came at slightly higher minor league levels, but many came in leagues considered friendly to hitters.

Among prospects in the Seattle organization, Taylor is ranked seventh by Baseball Prospectus, fifth by MLB.com and ninth by FanGraphsBaseball America will release its Mariner rankings next week.

* http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=betts-000mar

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=taylor004chr

[/QUOTE]

another thing that I think separates them besides Betts putting up similar numbers at a younger age is the power,  Betts really seemed to turn on his power this year slugging .506.  The OBP is effectively the same the avg was EXACTLY the same this year. 

if you go by MLb grades too it seems that they think Betts has a solid hit tool and power.

Also Mookie Betts grades at first glance would put him ahead of Odor and Wong.  The explanation was that those other two guys were closer to the majors.  Jim Calis said earlier today that he personally had Betts as the #1 2nd base prospect in the minors. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

at the ages of 18-20, Betts showed great plate discipline and it's very good sign when a young player can see the pitches and be selective at the plate while carrying some power along.  Betts recorded 113 walks through out his 847 plate appearances and struck out only 87 times.  It's lower levels but he's also pretty young.  He could very well be named in top 100.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Really liking this kids potential!  Handles the bat great and with excellent discipline.  Can't wait to see him play a bunch at Portland next year.

It's a shame that he's blocked though.  I wonder if he could switch back to SS or maybe CF?  It would be a shame to trade away what could be our future leadoff hitter because hes blocked.  Guys with excellent speed, a solid bat and some good pop do not grow on trees.  We just lost the best leadoff guy in baseball to FA and have done nothing to replace that bat or speed.  Mookie could be that replacement in a 2 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really liking this kids potential!  Handles the bat great and with excellent discipline.  Can't wait to see him play a bunch at Portland next year.

It's a shame that he's blocked though.  I wonder if he could switch back to SS or maybe CF?  It would be a shame to trade away what could be our future leadoff hitter because hes blocked.  Guys with excellent speed, a solid bat and some good pop do not grow on trees.  We just lost the best leadoff guy in baseball to FA and have done nothing to replace that bat or speed.  Mookie could be that replacement in a 2 years.

[/QUOTE]

Theres been talk about Mookie switching back to SS, and he has the athleticism for CF.  I wouldn't be surprised if he splits time between 2nd and other positions this year....actually I'm kinda expecting it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Hmmm... I may smell a trip to Portland in my future! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He could probably play LF or 3B, but if they moved him off SS, I'm thinking it was for a good reason.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He could probably play LF or 3B, but if they moved him off SS, I'm thinking it was for a good reason.

[/QUOTE]

They moved him off because there was a log jam there.  A few years ago Jose Vinicio was actually a semi highly regarded prospect and when they drafted Marrero he was playing SS....the next week Betts was moved to 2nd base.

Mookie was not highly regarded then, if he was what he was now.....I would be willing to bet they never would have moved him off the position. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

hey guys......Mookie can pick it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPJVNbOcDo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I saw that video the other day Hugh and it show his athleticism doesn't it. I also imagined him to be smaller. He looks like the total package. I know he has really only had one good year so far but his data sample for that year is tremendous and when you look at his tools as well he sure looks for real. Top 5 guy to me in the org.

I hope they start him as a super sub. I don't see him knocking off Middlebrooks, Pedey or Bogaerts out of the starting lineup but I bet this kid moves fast and he could be a great base stealer off the bench as well. 38 steals with only 4 CS. He looks for real. Maybe even in a September callup. This guy also looks to be one of the most coachable guys they have had for a while.

It would be hard to expect a lot of HR out of him but he has the range to play anywhere in the infield and the arm isn't horrible as a sub at 3rd or SS. His approach is already great and he drives the ball. He's potentially a future all star and he's not the only stud from his draft year - 2011 which included Swihart, Barnes, Bradley, Owens and Shaw.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

55 XBH in 462 AB last year, not counting the AFL in which he held his own also. That is solid performance. Pedroia level offensive performance in terms of XBH.

Let's hope he adjusts well to higher levels.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

55 XBH in 462 AB last year, not counting the AFL in which he held his own also. That is solid performance. Pedroia level offensive performance in terms of XBH.

Let's hope he adjusts well to higher levels.

[/QUOTE]

He put up respectable numbers against more advanced competition.  Still interested in what a full season in double A will show.  Last year put him on the map, but if he repeats this year at higher levels he will be a consensus top 50 I think.  Especially with his defense, which is reportedly plus defense.  Moving off of SS appeared to have more to do with the depth at the position.  He had vinicio, Bogaerts and iglesias ahead of him and the Sox just drafted Marrero.  I think they will expose him to a few more positions this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hmmm... I may smell a trip to Portland in my future! 

[/QUOTE]

me too

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Betts has the skill to play CF. Theres no reason that JBJ couldnt move to RF when Vics deal is up. I think it would serve his arm well playing a corner. That, and his solid defense in Fenways RF would be perfect. There will be options for Mookie.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

My guess is Coyle will be the 2B, Henry Ramos moves to the LF, and Mookie plays the CF.