Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors"

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors" : that ridiculous signing of CRAWFORD sux in so many ways. another theo albatross that will handcuff the SOX for years to come. BELTRAN provides more BANG FOR THE BUCK than CRAWFORD ever will.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

You obviously spend no time watching any Mets games.  Beltran is a great player who can't stay on the field and is best remembered by Mets fans for taking strike 3 looking to end their playoffs a few years back.  Certain posters here want JD Drew to be boiled in oil for the same transgression.  Beltran has an arthritic knee which makes a long term deal problematic.  The grass is not always greener and Met fans would love to have Crawford instead.  I hope you are around down the road when Crawford settles in and puts up big numbers, which he will.  You will be one of those liars who will say you knew he'd be great.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors"

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors":
    [QUOTE]If the Red Sox trade for Beltron, it will either Middlebrooks and Weiland maybe? Mets scouts were in Portland last night.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Who was pitching for Portland?

I would be very reluctant to trade Middlebrooks, as the Red Sox will likely need a 3B in two or three years (roughly the time frame for Middlebrooks' development). There are surely more easily expendable prospects in the system.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Westnuts stated that Reddick is slumping. In his last 10 games, he's batting .313 with 3 HR and 8 RBI.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Well i suppose when you are hitting .400, if over a 10 game period you hit ONLY .313, then technically you are slumping....we should trade the Bum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe------. Show --The-Babe------'s posts

[QUOTE]Thats part fallacy. He averaged 138 games per season once you take away the 2 injury years of 2009 and 2010, and take away the abbreviated rookie season. We also have what appears to be a major league ready right fielder who can back Carlos up or perhaps even make this thread unnecessary.

Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

And once you take away the games where the other team has scored more runs than the red flops the sawx have a perfect record.

See how that works?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

11 seasons of relative good health, lots of games played. 2 seasons gone awry do not make Beltran "regularly" injured.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]11 seasons of relative good health, lots of games played. 2 seasons gone awry do not make Beltran "regularly" injured.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

It is a problem when the 2 seasons are the last two.  He has answered some health questions this season and I really like the guy.  However, he is in RF for a reason and the reason is not Angel Pagan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If the deal is reasonable than you take it... everyone here is speculating and there is not a single person on this board who even knows what the Mets have or will ask.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No doubt, OM was easy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]With the Mets picking up the 6 million of Beltran's salary that's still owed,they're going to want someone like Reddick in return for him IMO.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I'd rather the Sox eat a lot of the salary and give a lesser prospect.  They can afford it and it could be a pretty good move for them.  Problem is, there will be competition for Beltran and the Mets may want the prospects more than the cash. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors" : I'd rather the Sox eat a lot of the salary and give a lesser prospect.  They can afford it and it could be a pretty good move for them.  Problem is, there will be competition for Beltran and the Mets may want the prospects more than the cash. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

they don't want to spend money because they are right below the luxury tax threshold.

But I wouldn't mind doing that for one year, to hold on to some top talent. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors" : You obviously spend no time watching any Mets games.  Beltran is a great player who can't stay on the field and is best remembered by Mets fans for taking strike 3 looking to end their playoffs a few years back.  Certain posters here want JD Drew to be boiled in oil for the same transgression.  Beltran has an arthritic knee which makes a long term deal problematic.  The grass is not always greener and Met fans would love to have Crawford instead.  I hope you are around down the road when Crawford settles in and puts up big numbers, which he will.  You will be one of those liars who will say you knew he'd be great.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

hey, what happened to the taxi driver and the purveyor?

btw, does theo send you an allowance to continue to apologize for his blunders.
    i won't lie if crawford ever turns out to be worth 20 million/year. i'll admit i was wrong; will you do the same when he turns out to be another drew?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors" : Well i suppose when you are hitting .400, if over a 10 game period you hit ONLY .313, then technically you are slumping....we should trade the Bum.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

which Bum? wesnuts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

he had knee surgery. that doesn't mean that he is injury prone. the guy can hit, it seems like the catch is for how long? do the red sox sign him for three years/ $42 mil? if that would even fly for a boras client. i don't know, a tough one to call, can we get them to throw in springfield's own chris capuano? he would be a decent back of the rotation guy. i would definately be into that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Sox won't do anything with Beltran until they are clearer about the health of the pitching staff...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors" : they don't want to spend money because they are right below the luxury tax threshold. But I wouldn't mind doing that for one year, to hold on to some top talent. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I heard Theo give his annual comments about how ownership is willing to spend resources and that winning is the most important thing with this ownership group.  If it's Beltran or otherwise, if there is someone out there to help I think Theo will pull the trigger with ownership's support.   

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I think they need pitching. Crawford was signed to be a difference maker. If he's healthy, they're paying him, they have to play him, you have to just put him in the line up and have faith that he'll do what he's done in the past and what you're paying him to do. To a lesser extend, same idea as Drew. He's had a terrible year, and likely is mentally checked out as he heads into retirement, but if he's healthy and can play, it's not that unimaginable that he could get some timely hits and contribute in the playoffs.

But if 3/5ths of the pitching staff is hurt, you need to address that. If Buchholz is out for the year, you already know what he'll give you in the playoffs - nothing. That has to be addressed before you worry about replacing guys who might struggle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox Not Pursuing Anyone Aggressively Right Now By  Tim Dierkes  [July 20 at 8:41am CST] The Red Sox are "not pursuing anyone aggressively right now," a source familiar with the team's thinking told  WEEI's Alex Speier .  Instead, the team is currently trying to determine which internal solutions will work.  We've heard the Red Sox named as one of the most aggressive suitors for  Carlos Beltran , but that may not be the case. The Sox are still taking their normal approach of "inquiring about anyone who may make an appreciable difference to the team," in the words of  the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo .  Cafardo says the Red Sox have inquired on Beltran,  Ubaldo Jimenez ,  Felix Hernandez ,  Jose Reyes ,  Jeff Francoeur ,  Jeff Baker ,  Michael Cuddyer ,  Ty Wigginton ,  Hiroki Kuroda ,  Ted Lilly ,  Jeremy Guthrie ,  Ryan Ludwick ,  Josh Willingham ,  Conor Jackson ,  Ryan Spilborghs ,  Mike Adams , and others.  The team needs include starting pitching, a reliever, an outfielder, and a shortstop, but the Red Sox may prefer internal options in many cases.
    Posted by greatestNYY[/QUOTE]

Wow!!  An intelligent post by greatestNYY....  albeit, a copy/paste posting.

Keep up the good work and you might be welcome around here for a change instead of being loathed.